Box spring under latex mattress

Hi, we’re considering buying an all latex mattress to replace our five-year-old vera wang beyond nature latex/poly foam mattress. My question is can we use the boxspring that came with our old mattress as a foundation and just put the new latex mattress on top of that?

Hi PabloJ1455,

A box spring has springs inside it that flex under firm pressure (such as when you push down on the surface) so I suspect that you have a foundation that has little to no flex and doesn’t contain springs rather than a box spring.

It would also depend on the specifics of the mattress but there is more information about the different types of support systems that are generally most suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here.

For an all latex mattress that doesn’t have any polyfoam in the bottom layers a foundation that has a firm flat slatted support surface that has minimal to no flex and slats that are no more than 3" apart (and preferably less) and good center support (and good center support to the floor in the bedframe underneath it) would generally be the most suitable choice.

A foundation that has a wire grid support surface (see post #10 here) which is likely what you have or that has slats that are more than 3" apart can allow the latex to sag into the spaces in between the load bearing support surface over the longer term and aren’t the ideal choice for an all latex mattress.

Phoenix

Thank you, that’s what I thought. Do you know of any manufacturers of latex mattresses or sleep shops that carry them I n the Minneapolis area?

Hi PabloJ1455,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Minneapolis/St Paul area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix