Box Springs

My wife and live in San Diego, CA, and we’re on a desperate search for retailers in our area who sell (true) box springs. In response to another forum post, you offered the WebLok system by Leggett and Platt as a good example of the kind of thing we’re looking for. After checking out their website, it certainly seems promising, but we’d like to actually lay our hands on the box springs before purchasing – to test the springiness and compare it to the springs of the IKEA couch (which is the only surface that my wife can sleep on without pain).

The Mattress Underground is the only site we’ve found which addresses the subject of box springs intelligently. I would truly grateful if you could offer a list of sales venues or manufacturers in our area where we can actually check out some box springs.

Thanks!
Jeff Edwards

Hi jedwards,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry, but I don’t have a listing of what store would actually stock true box springs, either in San Diego or elsewhere. I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market), so checking their websites and making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the local or online lists is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with anyway. When calling your local retailers, be sure to explain that you are looking for true “old school” coil box springs, as the term “box spring” is still used interchangeably by many retailers to mean any piece placed beneath the mattress.

I think that post #2 here was the box spring post to which you originally referred.

You may already have checked out this list, but subject to confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list you wish to deal with has an actual coil box spring … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the San Diego/Escondido areas are listed in post #2 here.

Good luck!

Phoenix

Escondido Mattress Factory carries what they call spring coil foundations that use 8 3/4 gauge coil springs. They recommend them for their high-ILD Talalay mattresses. I tested them earlier this week and found them to be quite comfortable. I encourage you to check them out.

Hi ghanna,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thank you for taking the time to post about Escondido Mattress Factory and their actual coil box springs. As you are probably aware, they are a member here, which means that I think highly of them.

Hopefully that information is helpful to jedwards.

Phoenix