Boxspring advice

How important is the box spring?

Here is my backstory:

I purchased a queen size Sealy Posturepedic mattress from Costco. Phoenix, I know your opinions regarding ‘name brand’ mattresses and Costco, but hear me out! I am moving out of my current residence in 4 months, at which time I will be purchasing a new King size mattress (likely from Escondido Mattress Factory ). In the mean time, I needed an affordable queen size mattress to help my lower back make it through the next four months. Due to the fact that this queen Costco mattress was semi-affordable and can be returned any time, I felt like it would work out given my situation.

I got the mattress from Costco and I didn’t order a box spring because I assumed the one I had with my previous mattress would be okay. When I finally removed my old mattress, I realized my box spring (which is an old spring one) actually has a minimal dip in the middle, similar to my old mattress. So how important is the box spring?

Now I need to decide if I should go buy a box spring, or if mine will suffice for a few months.

Any thoughts, ideas, opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Hi vjane89,

You can read more about foundations, box springs, or other support systems for your mattress and which type is suitable (and important) for different types of mattresses in post #1 here and the other posts it links to in the second paragraph.

While a suitable support surface (foundation, box spring, platform bed, etc) is important for a mattress … which one is best for your specific mattress will depend on the type of mattress you purchase.

If your box spring has any soft spots or dips in the support surface then it can certainly have a negative effect on your alignment when you sleep on the mattress and can affect the durability of the mattress as well.

If you don’t have any sleeping issues on the mattress/box spring you are using then you will probably be OK in the short term and I would probably wait until you buy your new mattress to buy a suitable foundation with it (or you could also use your mattress on the floor or put a piece of plywood over the box spring temporarily if you needed a more suitable support surface).

Phoenix