Boxspring Help

I purchsed new mattress about a month ago and still had so nagging lower back pain that went away once i was up and moving. I decided to rotate the mattress to see if it helped. I noticed the delivery company put the boxspring upside down! Definitely the culprit for the pain and the slight scoop in the new mattress so soon. I know what you are saying I should have been watching however I had my mother here for the delivery and she apparently didn’t noticed. My question is have I completly ruined my new mattress or did I catch it soon enough. Its a full and I am the only sleeper in it. I am about 5 ft 7in and weigh about 120 lbs.

Hi fraggle213,

It’s unlikely you’ve ruined it: what kind of mattress is it? How does it feel now that the box-spring is the right-side-up?

Novosbed

Its a Simmons Beautyrest Recharge. I just discovered it this morning, so I have yet to sleep on the right side up box spring. However it does feel more like it did when I tried it in the store just laying on it for a few. I do get chiropractic adjustments regularly so I have pretty good spinal alignment. So I have been quite annoyed at the lower back discomfort this new one had been giving me. I think this will have a big impact on that. Thanks for your input.

Hi Fraggle213,

The Simmons Beautyrest Recharge is a pocket-coil mattress with memory/gel foam comfort layer. Here’s a video of how the pocket-coil cores are made. You can see that the each layer of coils is glued to the layer next to it. The core is then encased in foam (see here).

Once all the layers are glued together, they will not move unless the mattress is exposed to forces that tear the material - very unlikely in your case. A properly positioned box-spring will make all the difference.

Cheers,
Novosbed

Thanks so much that was very interesting to see! So glad I won’t have to shell out more money to replace. I did test it out for a bit after letting it sit and it feels 100 times better than from this morning. Looking forward to sleeping on it tonight which I cannot say the same for the past few weeks. Thanks for setting my mind and potetntial wallet at ease.

I’m Back for some more help. I have posted in the same thread becuase I am thikning it might be related. As stated I have a Plush Simmons Recharge mattress that is about a month old. I discovered the boxspring had been instakked upside down and corrected it and all was well. Until recently. The lower back pain and discomfor it back. It goes away when I am up on my feet but has been bad enough that it wakes me up. Is there anything i can do to my current mattress to remedy this or should I admit defeat and cut my losses on this one? (The exchange period is over from the store i bought it from)

Hi fraggle,

Unfortunately back pain is usually an indication of a mattress that is too soft under the pelvis which is allowing your pelvic girdle to sink down too far which in turn puts the spine out of alignment. If this is the case then it’s not not really possible to effectively “fix” a mattress that is too soft because it would normally require either making the support core firmer or removing the comfort layers and making them either thinner or firmer.

There are some ideas in post #4 here that may be worth trying and if you have an actual box spring that flexes (as opposed to a foundation that has no flex) then it may be worth trying your mattress on a firm non flexing surface (such as the floor) to see if it helps as well. if this makes a difference then you could purchase a firm non flexing foundation.

You can also see a “home made” alternative to the mattress remedy that one of the members put together in post #9 here.

Phoenix