Boxsprings

We are contemplating buying a basic boxspring with our latex mattress – really just a wood box with a fabric cover. How much difference does the box spring make in terms of durability, feel, etc. ofo a mattress?

Hi Kaye,

I’m not sure you are clear between the difference between a box spring and a foundation. A box spring has springs inside it that flex under the mattress and there are very few one sided mattresses today that use them as a support system and in many cases they will invalidate a mattress warranty. Most mattresses in the industry today need a steel or wooden bedframe with a foundation that has minimal to no flex (vs a box spring that flexes) or a platform bed which also has little to no flex under the mattress. There are many in the industry that mix up the terminology between box springs and foundations even though they are very different products.

There is more information about the different support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here.

An all latex mattress will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components need to be strong and durable and stable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without some of the parts bending, sagging, or breaking over time. The support surface under the mattress should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. I would suggest that in a slatted support system (either a foundation on a steel or wooden bedframe or a platform bed with a slatted support surface) that any gaps between the slats are no more than 3" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than that would be better yet.

A suitable foundation should not have any effect on the feel or durability of a latex mattress and should be very similar to having your mattress on the floor. If a support system (bedframe and foundation or a platform bed) does have an effect on the feel or durability of a latex mattress then with the exception of a few thinner two sided latex mattresses that are designed to be used on a box spring … it would be the wrong support system.

Phoenix

Be very careful of the wood platform foundations commonly found at sleep shops, as many from the larger brands are wholly inadequate for a latex mattress. Ask to see inside of the product (you usually can see from the underside through the dust cover) and look at the top cross slat deck. You’ll usually only find 6-9 cross slats with a piece of cardboard on top of it. You don’t want that. Preferable is what Phoenix described - no more than 3" between slats. Usually looking at 15-18 cross slats on the top deck for a queen/king. Look for corner bracing to stop the product from racking, and bottom side bracing to stop the sides from bending in. And no cardboard. Look for a fabric/felt/coir top deck that allows for air circulation. There are also ready-to-assemble (RTA) versions available from quite a few places online that are quite sturdy and can ship via UPS.

Hopefully that helps you out.

thank you

I was wondering how important is it to replace a boxspring with a new mattress.
I’m leaning toward the Brooklyn Best Mattress Ever, but I’m not seeing an issue with my burrent boxspring.
Good idea to replace or will I be able to tell if it needs to be replaced when I get the new mattress on it?

Thanks!
And thank you for this site, it’s been quite helpful.

Hi BCoulton,

If you scroll back to post #2 in this topic it will explain more about the difference between a box spring and a foundation.

If you have a foundation (not a box spring) and it’s still in good condition and is still perfectly flat and there are no soft spots or sagging in the support surface and it’s suitable for the type of mattress you purchase then it would be fine to keep it.

If you have a box spring that has springs inside it that can flex under the mattress (vs a foundation that has very little to no flex) then I would replace it since most foam mattresses or one sided mattresses sold today need a suitable foundation (or a suitable platform bed) not a box spring.

Phoenix

Thanks!
I guess I will need to get a Foundation then.
Any thoughts about perhaps putting that foundation on the box springs?
I have a bad back and I’m fairly tall so if I could add height without buying a new frame that would be great.

Thank you once again!
Bob

BCoulton wrote:

Do not place a new HD foundation on top of an old box spring. Your foundation needs to be placed upon a firm and sturdy surface that is flat and doesn’t flex, not only for sleeping comfort and durability, but for safety. If you need to make your bed taller, look at a stable riser system for your bed frame, or find a platform bed that is higher off of the ground and start with that. If you still want to stack two units beneath your mattress, you’d be better off stacking two HD foundations on top of each other, although I don’t recommend it.

As always great advice from Jeff. I would just like to add that I’m not a big fan of of the loose slats on the KD wood foundations. On my KD foundation I screwed the slats down to the sides and middle rails with 1 1/4" #6 drywall screws. You can also use Grip Tite Construction screws . I used a countersink bit to set the screws even with the surface of the slats. This will strengthen the foundation, keep the slats from moving, and help straighten out any slats that have bowed up. The downside to this is in disassembly if you move around a lot.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: Home - Grip-Rite

Jeff stated in another post that the your body weight and the mattress will also help to straighten the slats if you choose not to screw them down.

I also like the KD wood foundations because they come with zip on covers that can easily be removed if you have to fix something , i.e., a broken slat.

BobP wrote:

Securing the cross slats to the lip on the side rails is an excellent way to increase structural integrity and also minimize noise. Your comment about countersinking is a must, as you don’t want the head of the screw to protrude and potentially damage the bottom of your mattress when rotating the product. I would add that a self-tapping wood screw is a type that is commonly used in the furniture industry and I would recommend using these to secure your slats as well.