Boyd Responda Flex Cirrus Supreme 12" vs Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams 13"

Hi,

I followed Phoenix’s guidelines on how to look and find the best mattress for my wife and I that meets our needs and preferences. We narrowed our decision between the popular Ultimate Dreams 13" and the Boyd Responda Flex Cirrus Supreme 12". We tested out the Boyd and liked the way it felt, but not so sure how it would feel after sleeping on it for longer than 15 mins. I weigh 170lbs and my wife weighs 100lbs and we mostly sleep on our side and back and both prefer a soft mattress. We examined PPP and found we both enjoy something similar to the Tempur-pedic Cloud Luxe. Currently, we sleep on the Sam’s Club Roma Memory Foam Mattress (link below). We thought it felt great when we tested it out in store, but it feels like a brick after sleeping on it and gives me lower back pain.

Both mattresses are priced similar to meet our budget, so no issues there. Some noticeable differences between the two are the Ultimate Dreams gel memory foam layer, amount of layers 3 vs 6, the 13" vs 12" height, the Boyd mattress contains “latex” foam. The foam base on the Ultimate Dreams is also a considerable difference. I am not sure if I am getting a good deal on the Boyd because I was not able to find reviews of this particular mattress online and even on their website. I am cautious on purchasing the Ultimate Dreams, but it has great reviews and seems to be highly recommended. Also, I don’t think the Boyd is CertiPur-US certified.

What is your opinion of the construction between the Boyd vs the Ultimate Dreams?

Which do you think is the most soft and feels similar to the Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe? (subjective, I know)

Which mattress will be a better choice for my lower back pain?

Attached are the framework on both of the mattresses. I was not able to get more information on the Boyd except for the framework. On the Boyd website they have some similar mattresses listed, but not exactly the same (below). Your opinion and advice is greatly appreciated!

http://www.boydspecialtysleep.com/respondaflex.html

Hi kyle1125,

The number of layers in a mattress is not a particularly meaningful spec so I would completely disregard this.

The most important layers in a mattress are the comfort layers and the Boyd uses less memory foam and overall the quality/density of the memory foam is less than the Ultimate Dreams (it only uses 4 lb memory foam while the Ultimate Dreams uses a combination of 4 and 5 lb memory foams).

I would also be aware that the “engineered latex” in the Boyd mattresses are not latex at all but polyfoam. Their use of this terminology is completely misleading IMO and is one of the cautions I have mentioned about Boyd in many forum posts. There is no latex in this mattress and you would need to know the density of the polyfoam to make an informed purchase decision.

Boyd memory foam mattresses are Level 1 certified by the Specialty Sleep Association but the criteria they list for Level 1 here says that Level 1 includes CertiPur certification which is different from the criteria on the Specialty Sleep Association site here which doesn’t mention anything about CertiPur certification for Level 1) and unlike Dreamfoam they are not not listed on the CertiPur site here* as a manufacturer so it’s unclear to me if their polyfoam and memory foam is CertiPur certified.

ADMIN NOTE: *Removed 404 link|Archived Footprint: certipur.us/pages/for-consumers/find-products/

Dreamfoam mentions and feedback seems to confirm (for the most part) that their 13" gel memory foam mattress is similar in terms of its softness level to the Tempurpedic Luxe except perhaps a little firmer. Boyd doesn’t make any comparisons at all to the Tempurpedic line and since I haven’t tried either mattress and have no personal experience with either of them I really don’t know.

Your own personal testing or experience is the only way to know this (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). Theory at a distance is not an effective way to know which mattress is the best “match” for anyone in terms of PPP or any particular back issues but if you are prone to back pain then good alignment on a mattress is particularly important and I would tend to be cautious with mattresses that are too soft. If you aren’t able to test a mattress in person then the return policy of the retailer or manufacturer may become a more important part of your personal value equation.

Phoenix

Thank you for helping me make my decision. I spoke with Chuck today from Dreamfoam and went with the Ultimate Dream 13" on Amazon. You’ve been great help and I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to share your wealth of knowledge!

Hi Kyle1125,

You’re very welcome … and I’m glad the site could help you.

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=28946]Hi Kyle1125,

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix[/quote]

I was skeptical about purchasing this mattress at first, but after reading all the reviews on this website and Amazon I felt like I couldn’t pass on this opportunity. My budget was less than 1k and if you’re looking for a mattress that’s somewhat similar to the Cloud-luxe, then this is a great deal! The mattress hugs your body, but not as much as the cloud-luxe and it’s not quite as soft and a little firm. This mattress is soft and you will feel like you’re sinking in while it cradles your back. The memory foam on this mattress doesn’t come back up as quickly as the Cloud-Luxe, but for a $2200 difference you’re getting a great mattress!

The mattress comes vacuum sealed and I recommend having scissors or box cutter to open. I didn’t have any issues with off gassing after opening and it fully inflated after about 5-10mins. I use the Protect A Bed Plush Mattress Protector and don’t have any heat issues. The Protect A Bed Plush Pillow Protector is also a great buy if you’re looking for a very soft pillow protector. I used to have a serta memory foam mattress and had lower back pain after sleeping on it. After sleeping on this mattress the first night, my lower back pain has gone away. This mattress is great for side sleepers! I normally sleep on my side and back. I also recommend the queen size Shredded Latex memory foam pillow that comes with this mattress it’s really soft and comfortable. My pillow does have off gassing, but the smell is bearable just as long as you don’t sniff the pillow directly. The smell should dissipate within the next week. I’ve slept on this mattress for 3 nights now and I must say I look forward to going to sleep. It makes you not want to get up for work in the morning.

Chuck was very helpful with answering any questions I had. He responds quickly to email or cell.

For the price you can’t beat this mattress!

Hi kyle1125,

Thanks for the update and feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Firm mattresses are good for people suffering from back pain.

Hi kyle1125. You’re probably long gone and don’t frequent this site much but if so, I’d love to hear your thoughts on the mattress now that 5 years have elapsed.