Brentwood Home Cedar Mattress

Hi JC2323.

I am glad that BH got back to you regarding the label and I do not think that there is any cause for alarm. Even though they issued the label with the old distribution name, it is not uncommon, in the mattress industry, for the name of the company (corporation, LLC, etc.) or subsidiary to be different than that commercial brand of products that it is manufacturing and/or selling, such that the name on the law tag is different than the product brand under which the mattress has been sold.

The commercial brand name is legally referred to as a fictitious name, and it is registered with the state in which the company has been organized. If it is the name used in the operation of the commercial entity, then a company can operate under a DBA (doing business as). An example of designation is XYZ, Inc. dba ABC Sleep, where ABC Sleep is the company name the public sees. In the past decade this had become more pronounced as many mattress companies have established an internet presence using a brand name, but keep it separate from their corporate name by operating under a different name (dba). This is all legal and above board, as it requires registrations in the states in which the companies are organized and doing business (optional).

In your specific case, the only I would further investigate is related to the product warranty, and whether the companyā€™s name that is issuing the product warranty reflects the name on the mattress law tag. This would possibly come into play if you have a warranty claim in the future.

Sleep well!

Phoenix
Note to sarahelic: Thanks for the update and a contribution. I appreciate it! :slight_smile:

Weā€™ve been on our Cedar mattress for a couple of months now, and while we had a period of good sleep, weā€™ve both now noticed that we toss and turn, and wake up feeling tired. Iā€™m having some arm and lower back pain as well. Iā€™ve changed pillows a couple of times to determine if that would help but now I think it is the mattress.

sarahelic and psychmedic would you recommend the topper? Was it complimentary? I know some companies offer it during a trial period.

If your discomfort is because the mattress feels too firm, the topper might help. It definitely helped me by adding some pressure relief while sill remaining supportive. I also like the feel of a separate topper in general. I tried the Zenhaven with their topper, and I really liked that configuration as well. I requested the topper from Brentwood Home within the trial period, and they did send it to me for free.

Hi yes the topper was listed 699 but they let me have it for free and i think they extended the trial period for me as well. The topper is made with same materials and looks just like the mattress and its heavy so wont slide. They call it plush, but while its not a pillow feel, it is soft latex. Iā€™m 6ā€™3" and 190# and I found that it helped with softening the pressure on shoulder and hips but i lost support in mid and lower back, and i eventually returned both topper and mattress and got the oceano and have been happy for 8 months or so. So try to figure out if your pain is from too much pressure, or not enough support.

[color=black]I purchased the Cedar mattress a few weeks ago and it finally arrived a couple nights ago. My partner and I thought it felt fine upon first laying down to test it. After the first night, they complained that it was too firm and sleeping on their side wasnā€™t very comfortable. Iā€™m primarily a back sleeper, so it didnā€™t bother me much. I canā€™t say it was very comfortable, though. The second night was uncomfortable for both of us, and we are realizing that it may be much too firm. We were expecting something a lot softer, given the pillow-top feature thatā€™s built in. BH expects a 30-day break-in period for comfort, but I donā€™t know if we can go 30 days being uncomfortable like this.

Is it really wise to let your body ā€œadjustā€ to something you can immediately tell you donā€™t like and that causes pain? Iā€™ll be in touch with BH for a solution and will follow up here once I do. We donā€™t want to purchase a poly/memory foam mattress because of the possible toxic nature of the chemicals involved, so hopefully we can find a more natural solution to the dilemma. Maybe a softer latex is in order?[/color]

Ask brentwood to send you the topper. That could help. But in general latex is a bit firm and takes a bit to get used to. But dont expect latex to soften up. Brentwood Oceano may be better to your liking. I fidnā€™t notice any voc smell from my oceano, and i like that it doesnt use adhesivesā€¦ Tatalay latex is softer than dunlop, but dunlop is more durable. (Brentwood only uses dunlop.)

I contacted BH and they are sending me the topper. Hoping this helps. I have a feeling it will help the shoulder pain but Iā€™m concerned my back pain (which I donā€™t usually have) is a support issue.

I asked BH for a topper after one week, and they obliged. It makes the mattress softer, but itā€™s still relatively ā€œfirmā€ compared to e.g. the Zenhaven + the Zenhaven soft topper.

I had both shoulder and lower back pain without the topper both of which were resolved with the topper. Iā€™m short and lightweight though. I barely make an impression on the mattress, and I donā€™t seem to have the ā€œsupportā€ issues others may have.

Do you find it still uncomfortable and too firm even with the topper? I may try that route if it helps

I found the topper helped relieve pressure but i lost midback support.

Try luma sleep system (medium) or my green mattress. Or the essentia mattress which is $$$. I dont have any experience with them so cant comment about firmness compared to cedar.

Ok, thanks. Iā€™ll try the topper and will report back my findings for anyone else who may be in the same situation. Then Iā€™ll probably try your suggestions, or at least look into them.