Brentwood Home Coronado Mattress - Might be the one!

So I have been looking for a new mattress on and off for basically the past year. My almost 6 year old Comforpedic was never a good fit for me as at first it was too firm and then too hot as it softened up and I began to sink in more.

With all these new mattress in a box companies coming up I decided to start there. My first was the #BestMattressEver in soft. I had been debating between soft and medium but they convinced me soft was the right choice as I was a light weight mostly side sleeper and that soft latex still wouldn’t sink like memory foam. Anyway soft turned out to be too soft, the mattress had horrible edge support and it was 3 inches narrow and 2 inches short of Queen size so it went back. To be fair they offered me a medium and another trial period since my first was essentially defective but I turned them down as the poor quality control really bothered me.

Next I went with the Nest Alexander Hybrid (the original model). On paper I loved the idea of this mattress with the feel of memory foam and the overall support and solid edges of springs. I tried this one for almost 3 months but while I loved the edge support I found the mattress to be too soft and feel too much like a traditional mattress and less like the hybrids from Tempurpedic and the big S manufacturers. I will say Joe made me an excellent exchange offer to keep me as a customer and while I did like the regular Nest Alexander in medium (second version) as well as the Honest Cool Sleeper that I tried in their stores I didn’t want to take the risk since I would no longer get a trial period if I took him up on his exchange offer. I will add that I was annoyed that my honest 4 star review for the mattress was never posted and this factored into my decision. To me if you are going to allow reviews on your site you should allow all reviews barring them being flat out fake or malicious neither of which mine was.

After that I took a break from looking until a few weeks ago when my friend had mentioned her friend buying the Brentwood Home Coronado from Costco and loving it. The online reviews while obviously subjective since everyone is different matched up to what I was looking for, plush at the very top but firm just underneath. I also liked it having a wool top layer as sleeping hot is always a concern with me after my Comforpedic. The specs even seemed to closely follow the ones of the two Nest mattresses I did like so I was definitely hopeful. Plus with Costco you get their amazing return policy which even manages to best the trial periods offered by most mattress in a box companies.

Anyway last week I noticed the mattress was on sale at Costco for $100 off which itself was $200 lower than what Brentwood charges for the exact same mattress (Brentwood confirmed the one from their site and Costco are identical despite the price differences). I figured I had nothing to lose. I have now slept on it for a week and am pretty happy so far. The mattress is definitely firmer than I expected but not uncomfortable. As with any mattress I figure it will take a few weeks for my body to adjust as well as the top layers to soften a bit. I was also pleasantly surprised at how similar it felt to the Nest Honest Cool Sleeper, even down to the great edge support for an all foam mattress. Looking at the labels it appears both are manufactured in the same place even however the Coronado was half the price. I guess this makes sense as Brentwood is a division of SilverRest and SilverRest makes many of the mattresses sold by Nest.

Overall while it’s still early I am happy that I may have found the one and at such a great price to boot. I know a lot of other people on this site have looked at the medium Nest Alexander and if you don’t mind something a bit firmer you should definitely check out the Coronado from Brentwood Home, especially if you are a Costco member. I will try and post updates in this thread over the next couple months to indicate how it goes but as long as it softens up a touch more but not too much I can’t imagine it not being a keeper.

Hi zexpress,

Thanks for the update … and it’s great to hear that you found a mattress that seems to be working well for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP…

According to the Costco site the Coronado mattress includes 3" of 4 lb gel memory foam on top of 2" of ventilated 1.8 lb polyfoam on top of 1" of 1.8 lb polyfoam on top of a 6" 1.8 lb polyfoam base layer so all the materials meet the minimum durability guidelines here for your weight/BMI range and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that would be a reason for concern.

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you also have the chance to post an update once you have slept on it for a little longer and are past the initial break in and adjustment period as well

Phoenix

Thanks! I was all set to start looking locally but I have to admit there is something about knowing I can try a mattress with no risk that appealed to me after my $2000 Comforpedic mistake several years ago.

I will add that Brentwood indicated the description is wrong on the Costco page and that the Coronado is actually of medium firmness and not luxury plush. Just wanted to mention that in case anyone else checks it out, my experience certainly puts it at medium if not medium firm although I imagine it will get closer to medium after the break in period.

Hi zexpress,

As you mentioned they call it a “medium feel” on their website but firmness ratings are very subjective anyway. There are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings in the industry and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

Regardless of all of that though … as long as the firmness level works for you that’s all that really matters regardless of what anyone may call it :slight_smile:

Phoenix