Broad question!

Hey there, this is obviously geared towards pheonix. I’ve read a ton of your posts here and have a good idea what i want now thanks to you. I just have one big question, and I know what you’re going to want to say. Everyone feels differently, are different sizes, and find different things to be comfortable. I totally get that and agree. I was just curious if you would give this answer. As far the online latex foam companies (dreamfoam, brooklyn, ,etc) if you HAD to pick one or two that you thought were using quality foam and putting out a great product that most people would be likely to be happy with… Your favorites (if you will) Which one or ones would it be?

Haha Hope you answer. thanks!

Hi vosseller,

Similar questions have been asked many times over the years but my answer will always be the same.

I don’t have a “top 2” or a “top 5” or a “top 10” or even a “top 100” list because there is no such thing as the “best mattress” in general terms … there is only a mattress that is “best for you”, regardless of whether the same mattress may be “best” for anyone else. Every person can have different budget ranges, different needs and preferences, and different criteria that are all important parts of their own personal value equation that can be very different from someone else (including me) and any list that I would put together would only be relevant to me.

I do recommend the members of this site “as a group” (currently just over 50 manufacturers or retailers) because I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency but I don’t make specific recommendations or suggestions for mattresses, combinations of materials and components, or specific manufacturers because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person and there are also there are also many other sources of good quality/value mattresses across the country or online that aren’t members of this site (at least yet).

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … again it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress, act as a fact check, answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that don’t involve what you will “feel” on a mattress, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, manufacturer, or combination of materials is “best for you” regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or whether anyone else (including me) would have the same criteria or circumstances or would make the same choice.

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

If you are only considering online options then the mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that would be well worth considering.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of “your finalists” that are all choices between “good and good” and you have confirmed that none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design relative to your BMI range and if at this point there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your more detailed conversations with each of them, your personal preferences, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress (or individual layers in some cases) and any costs involved, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Ok I totally understand and thank you for taking the time to reply.

The maybe you or some of the members can help choose or with their own experiences. I’m 6’ 170b and my wife is under 100lbs. We both like soft beds that are “comfortable” and hug a bit. We have decided on latex because we don’t want the heat of memory foam. The three main companies we’ve been looking at are dreamfoam, brooklyn bedding, and now after reading this sites quality manufacturers lists we are strongly considering flexus comfort. Does anyone have any experience, suggestions or comments?

We do live next to jamestown mattress which phoenix has suggested but we don’t want to pay almost 4k for a king. we’d rather stay around or under 2k

thanks

Hi vosseller,

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular store or business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress so I would be very cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

Choosing a mattress based on other people’s needs and preferences or experience instead of your own is among the worst ways to choose a mattress. It would be somewhat like buying shoes or clothes or a suit that fits someone else’s needs and preferences or buying food that matches someone else’s taste rather than your own.

All three of the companies you mentioned are members of this site which means that I think highly of all of them in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency and depending on whether they make the type of mattress you tend to prefer they would certainly be well worth considering.

Forum searches on each of them will also bring up many more comments and feedback about all of them as well.

I’m not sure which specific mattress you are looking at but Jamestown Mattress sells many mattresses that are under $4000 that may be worth considering. I’m not sure which of their locations you are close to but if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

In its simplest form choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to FIRST finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers (either locally or online) that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in that are in a budget range you are comfortable with and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information you need about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you are considering relative to your weight range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

I live in Buffalo ny, 14222

Hi vosseller,

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list you wish to deal with is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Buffalo, NY area are listed in post #29 here.

Phoenix