Brooklyn Bedding 12" Bamboo Bliss(ful) Satisfaction

Three nights of sleeping on this new latex bed including the latex pillows and I wish I could get a few more shipped out to people that I care about.

I thought it might be too soft for me when I laid on the bare mattress after set-up. Two minutes was not enough to gauge it or even to mention in my previous thread. The thin mattress protector fits snug, not taunt and my sheets aren’t tight. What I’ve ended up with is a really good feel. The first night it did take longer than normal to fall asleep, that is diminishing.

The support under the top is very important to me. This is so unlike the regular coiled spring beds I’ve slept on my whole life. So different from a water-bed with a couple baffles. It’s there without question, but is incomparable to the rock hardness of an exercise mat. Not like the hardness under a sleeping bag, leaves and grass when camping out. This support is firm and supple everywhere under me.

Descriptions of the differences between laying on a memory foam or a latex mattress at this site are relevant and helpful. I read it once described as lying in memory foam or laying on latex. Feeling the 3" latex layer doesn’t resemble the feel when memory foam has felt like it enveloped me. Now I guess that when a different set of sheets that fits tight changes the feel I might notice since I’ve thought of this issue so much lately. The shredded latex pillows resemble a down pillow, but they’re different also. I had been not liking my ten year old fiber-fill? pillows much the last few months. These are nice!

Ok, we’re not rich and everyone probably knows how keeping your home a few degrees higher in the summer and lower in the cold helps your wallet. With ceiling fans our ac is set on 79 at night right now. With my fan on low like normal and having the sheet halfway up over me it does seem that this bed sleeps cool enough for me.

That takes me to the place of purchase and their policies. Brooklyn Bedding has the four month trial period. The warranty on my model is twenty years. They made me an offer I couldn’t refuse! Their staff is good and recognize what it takes to make a sale without being like a stereotypical car salesman. On the other hand they realized I was serious about getting a mattress too. I have also just joined a long list of folks that have been happy with the way they treat people and their products.

How you sleep effects how you are the next day, and I’m sure a lot of you that bounced from the couch to the air-bed to wherever know this. For a person as opinionated and stubborn as myself to be this pleased afterwards is only because I learned a lot here. Buying something with such necessarily important intricate parameters and having it turn out this well is just unreal.

Thanks to all of you that shared what you know on this subject. Talkin’ to you here especially Phoenix, good job with your website!

Hi swapgut,

Thanks once again for taking the time to share such detailed and informative feedback … and for the kind words as well. I appreciate them both :slight_smile:

Phoenix

No problem, you earned them.

I liked your word choices: “This support is firm and supple.”

It took me awhile to fully adjust to latex but the pain I felt started going away day one.

Congratulations on your purchase and Thanks for the review.

Jeff

Hi jefmoody, you’re welcome and glad that your bed helped you. The base layer on this bed feels made to last. It has been about a month and the couple of neighbors that inquired about the large box know about latex mattresses and Brooklyn Bedding now.

I’ve got to mention that these shredded latex pillows are radically different and so much better than “fiber fill” pillows. If I was still a kid my brother and I would have fought over them already.

Experiencing occasional mild soreness in my shoulder and hip on the side that I awoke on. Otherwise I’ve been sleeping better than before. Re-reading:
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/futons-looking-at-otis
That post is enlightening. It shows me that those pressure points have not sunk in enough? I’m surprised that I might have to consider going softer. Looks like I did not mention above that I got the #6 for the comfort layer.

Hi swapgut,

Thanks for sharing another update.

[quote]Experiencing occasional mild soreness in my shoulder and hip on the side that I awoke on. Otherwise I’ve been sleeping better than before. Re-reading:
www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-...g-at-otis.html#22851
That post is enlightening. It shows me that those pressure points have not sunk in enough? I’m surprised that I might have to consider going softer. Looks like I did not mention above that I got the #6 for the comfort layer. [/quote]

The comfort choice that is “best” for each person can be surprising and this can be especially true with a material like latex where even the softer versions are more “supportive” than other types of foam (latex has a higher compression modulus which means that it gets firmer faster than other types of foam as you sink into it more deeply). If your mattress is a little too firm then post #2 here may also have some suggestions that may be helpful. I would probably be tempted to give things just a “little” more time but it’s always good to know that you have the option of exchanging a layer for a softer version if you need to.

Phoenix

Yea, I could try a #8 if need be. I’ve still got `till almost Halloween to think about it! Not having slept on the same spot every night, can’t find any surface depressions yet.

Another variable to throw in, still using the heavy duty box springs from the old bed. Think I’d be sinking in if the mattress wasn’t on something solid enough. I’ve looked inside the box springs and the slat conversion will work on it. I guess I should take care of that first!

Hi swapgut,

In most cases a foam mattress does best on a solid non flexing support surface but if you put your mattress on the floor for a night of two you will get a good sense of whether and how things would change if you had your mattress on a firm non flexing foundation instead of your box spring.

Your mattress isn’t likely to develop any significant impressions for a very long time although it will break in and soften slightly as it breaks in.

Phoenix