Brooklyn Bedding 9 inch Tri-Comfort Latex - anyone tried it?

I’m considering the BB Tri-Comfort (and comparing to the Spindle Abscond).

I only found a couple mentions here of “tri-comfort” (with the hyphen), and searches for “tri comfort” (without the hyphen) bring up every post with the word “tried,” “trial,” and “comfort.” (Good reason to give your product a unique name!)

Does anyone have any personal experience/feedback on the Tri-Comfort?

Hi sdmark,

There hasn’t been a lot of feedback about the Brooklyn Bedding Tri-Comfort because it’s relatively new but it’s certainly an interesting design. Their comments about it are here and there are a couple of other mentions of it on the forum (here and here) as far as I know.

Hopefully any of the members here that have purchased it will see your post and share their feedback about it.

The materials are the same as the “mostly synthetic” version of the Spindle Abscond (continuous pour Dunlop with a mostly synthetic blend) but the design is different. (Note: Spindle now only uses 100% natural continuous pour Dunlop in their mattresses). They use two 4" layers and they also custom fabricated their own 3 zone convoluted design that is unique to them with a firmer section under the pelvis/lower back where support generally needs to be greater and a softer section in the head and foot area of the mattress to “allow” the shoulders to sink in more easily. This is a little different from the 7 zone design and three inch layers that Spindle uses.

Both of them are great quality/value options for those that are looking for a lower budget alternative to Dunlop with a higher natural rubber content and I think that both of them would make a great final choice.

Phoenix

Thanks for the links, Phoenix; I had missed part of one of those. I’d also not paid attention to the “convoluted” part of the BB description.

I was already confused about both the BB and Spindle products since Mountain Top apparently only makes 5.5", 6", and 7" cores:

http://www.mountaintopfoam.com/our-products/

I figured Spindle might be splitting a 6" core for their layers. I wonder what the BB model starts off as before being split.

Hi sdmark,

[quote]I was already confused about both the BB and Spindle products since Mountain Top apparently only makes 5.5", 6", and 7" cores:

www.mountaintopfoam.com/our-products/

I figured Spindle might be splitting a 6" core for their layers. I wonder what the BB model starts off as before being split. [/quote]

On the same page they also say they make make toppers from .5" to 3" in the same firmness range and formulations as their cores.

If you use a convoluter to split a 7" core with 1" convolutions from peak to valley you would end up with two 4" convoluted layers.

Phoenix

I saw that but the topper did not mention 7-zone design which is what it sounds like Spindle uses. Of course, Mountain Top or their distributors may offer other variations than what is listed on this consumer-facing page.

I got some more information on the Tri-Comfort from Brooklyn Bedding. I had the impression that some of the specs may still be in flux, as it was uncertain at first whether it had a zipper. As of this morning:

• It is Mountain Top continuous-pour blended Dunlop latex. One rep thought it was 40% natural blend, but the Moutain Top site only lists 20% and 85% natural as a blend options, so maybe it’s the 20%.

• The Medium is ILD 34 bottom and 28 top. The Soft is 28 bottom and 24 top.

• It is a split 7" block. Each layer has 1" convolutions over 3" solid. They bought their own machine from Germany to do the cuts.

• It does have a zipper cover, and comfort layer exchange is possible. You could also flip layers inside the bed.

• It has a 120-day return policy. It comes compressed and rolled, but due to its construction, it could be dismantled and returned in 2 or 3 boxes via FedEx Ground, which would be much less expensive than having to use freight for a one-piece mattress.

Re. the Spindle Abscond, as mentioned elsewhere, it’s three 3-inch solid layers of Mountain Top Dunlop for a total of 9 inches. I learned from Neal that the synthetic soft is actually 10% natural, whereas the synthetic medium and firm are 100% synthetic. Due to my background of having had mattresses soften and sag, he recommended the 100% natural version.

Hi sdmark,

Thanks for the additional information about the Tri-Comfort … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I believe the latex is the synthetic (or mostly synthetic) continuous pour based on a conversation I had with them.

Mountaintop also confirmed this with me when I talked with them because in the lowest ILD they needed to add some natural rubber to the formula to create the feel and performance that they wanted.

I would also be a little cautious about comparing their specific ILD’s with other types of latex because Mountaintop doesn’t test for ILD in exactly the same way as other latex manufacturers.

Phoenix

Based on the information provided by Brooklyn Bedding, I ordered this mattress on April 2. I went with their recommendation of a medium.

In the meantime, after seeing Phoenix’s comment about the latex composition, I asked the sales manager about the exact percentage of natural vs. synthetic. He now says it is “mostly synthetic.”

The mattress arrived yesterday. I discovered another inaccuracy re. the depth of the convolutions. I measure 1.5" at the center of the mattress and 1.75" at the head.

More importantly, the mattress feels too soft. I can’t detect much difference from the Sealy pillowtop that became too soft after 17 months.

I was interested in the latex composition and the depth of convolutions to gauge the quality and quantity of the latex, but also because I am looking for a “soft over firm” feel. I hoped that a higher natural content and relatively shallow 1" convolutions would provide that. Unfortunately, that’s not what I received. I’ve emailed BB asking for suggestions.

Mark

Hi sdmark,

Thanks for the feedback and the pictures … I appreciate it.

[quote]More importantly, the mattress feels too soft. I can’t detect much difference from the Sealy pillowtop that became too soft after 17 months.

I was interested in the latex composition and the depth of convolutions to gauge the quality and quantity of the latex, but also because I am looking for a “soft over firm” feel. I hoped that a higher natural content and relatively shallow 1" convolutions would provide that. Unfortunately, that’s not what I received. I’ve emailed BB asking for suggestions.[/quote]

Synthetic latex is a higher quality and more durable material than the polyfoam used in your Sealy mattress so it won’t soften as quickly as polyfoam although both polyfoam and latex come in a wide range of firmness levels. As you probably know from your reading here it’s not really possible to predict how a mattress will “feel” based on specifications or the depth of the convoluting because there are so many variables and because there are so many subjective elements involved that can vary between different people.

I will be interested in hearing what they suggest. Your comfort layer is probably soft enough for the “feel” you were looking for but I would suspect that you may need a firmer base layer.

Phoenix

What I meant was that this mattress feels as soft on day 1 as the Sealy did after 17 months, at which point I had to abandon it because it was contributing to back pain.

Interesting that you think of the base layer. Maybe I do need a firmer base, but my sense is that I sink too far into the top layer, just like I sink too far into the Sealy’s pillowtop. Medium over firm might be the right combination in solid latex, but the deep convolutions make it softer.

Mark

Hi sdmark,

My comments were based more on your comment about wanting a “soft over firm” feel. Your top layer is likely “soft enough” (and as you mentioned it may even be too soft for your preferences) but your base layer may not be firm enough depending on whether the ILD’s are tested at 25% or 40% compression (Mountaintop tests and rates their latex at both compression depths).

There is so much subjectivity and so many variables involved in much of this that sometimes you need a specific reference point with the actual materials you are using to know which layer and ILD to adjust.

Phoenix

Maybe I should avoid that “soft over firm” phrase. It sounds specific but brings up a different image in each person’s mind. My meaning is something like an inch or inch and a half of relatively soft transitioning quickly and progressively to firm. It’s been months since I tried it, but in my memory, the feel of the Pure Latex Bliss Essence was pretty close to what I have in mind. (I’d have to try it again to confirm.) I mention that only as a potential common point of reference re. the “feel”–obviously the Tri-Comfort is a completely different material and construction.

Mark

Hi sdmark,

I don’t know the specifics of the Essence outside of the layer thickness (the description in the dimensions section here isn’t specific about ILD’s and may not be correct when it mentions a soft 6" core) so it would be difficult to know how to compare it to another mattress that used a different type of latex that has a different response curve, different ILD’s and different layer thicknesses.

I also know based on conversations with Mountaintop that the Mountaintop 25% ILD’s will likely “feel” firmer than the LI Talalay ILD’s (you would probably need to go one step up to get an approximate equivalent) and of course the layer thicknesses and surface modifications are also different which will both have an effect on the feel and response of the mattress.

I think in cases like these where two mattresses are more different than the same that your own impressions are really the only way to compare them in any meaningful way.

For reference purposes … the Mountaintop 25% ILD range (measured on a 6" core) is …

C0 9.5 - 12.5 ILD
C1 11.5 - 14.5 ILD
C2 17.5 - 20.5 ILD
C3 21.5 - 24.5 ILD
C4 29.5 - 32.5 ILD
C5 33.5 - 37.5 ILD

Phoenix

I emailed BB about the convolution height being greater than they said, asking whether this is a split 6", describing the unexpectedly soft feel, and asking for any suggestions. Mario’s reply:

“It may take a few days or weeks for your body to adjust to the mattress, we also offer a 120 day comfort trial period in which you would be able to exchange the comfort layer(s) in your mattress if necessary. The latex layers should be from one end to the tip of the convoluted portion just about 4” depth this is what makes up the 8" of latex. Please feel free to contact me in the future if you have any additional questions I would be happy to assist you."

Mark

Hi sdmark,

Their reply makes sense to me and is probably similar to what I would have replied as well.

I don’t think convolution height is a spec I would focus on or is particulary important and the feel and performance of the mattress in terms of PPP and of course the type and durability of the material itself matters much more.

These types of specs have little practical use or relevance.

Phoenix

Hi,I looked at the tri-comfort as well.Gave them a call and was told it’s more inline for a children’s or teens
mattress and that I wouldn’t get “fantastic” support on it a s a full grown adult. I ended up going w/ the UD latex basted on their knowledge and this forums help too.
Being the price is cheaper for the UD latex it makes me like them more since i wasn’t being
pushed to buy the more expensive 10" latex.
Not sure of your needs but ask them about that when you talk to them again and see if they confirm to you the same thing I was told.

Hi Phoenix,

In my opinion, convolution height matters for two reasons:

1. In trying to anticipate how a mattress would feel, I think of the convoluted part as a separate layer with half of the density of the “solid” part (assuming the convolution is made by cutting away half of the material), something like putting ILD 12 over ILD 24. So in a 3" solid plus 1" convolution, I expect something like a 3" solid layer plus a softer 1" layer. However if it turns out to be 2.25" solid plus 1.75" convolution, I have a thinner base layer and a thicker soft layer.

2. Part of shopping it based on value. I am willing to pay a bit more for 7" of latex than 6".

Another part of value in latex is natural content. At the time I purchased, they claimed it was 40% natural. I doubted that but expected 20% natural. Only later did they agree it is “mostly” synthetic.

Mark

Hi orrair,

Thanks for that feedback. I was also interested in the Ultimate Dreams mattresses. In an early call to Brooklyn Bedding, the rep said I should avoid the UD mattresses because they only have 1.5lb base foam as opposed to BB’s most popular model, the Bamboo Bliss with 2.17lb . He later softened that a bit, saying it depends on whether I want (i.e. can afford) a 10-year mattress or a 20-year mattress.

I was actually looking at the BB Cotton Camilla ($899) which has the 1.5lb foam, and comparing it to the Dreamfoam UD 12" (also $899). I left a message for Dreamfoam to call re. mattress questions, but they never called back.

One good thing about BB is that they are available by phone. I called BB again and spoke with a different rep. We went over my age, weight, and sleeping pattern (55, 160, mostly side sleeper). He initially steered me to the 10" Total Latex ($1899). When I explained that I was looking at the Camilla, he repeatedly pushed the Bliss over the Camilla, even offering a discount on the Bliss. However if I really wanted an $899 mattress, he said I should look at the Tri-Comfort, which is a better value for the money than the Camilla. (They really don’t want to sell the Camilla!)

In a subsequent chat and phone call, I confirmed the Tri-Comfort specs (as outlined in my last post on 4/2, above) and placed the order.

Which UD did you buy and how do you like it?

Mark

With apologies for my back, here are a few photos in which I try to gauge how far I am sinking in to this mattress (shown here inside a thin full-encasement protector). If my calculations are correct, I’m about 7" from my side to my center belt loop. The top of the mattress is about 1" above the bed frame, then when I lie on my side, the center belt loop is about 1" above the frame. So my hip is sinking in about 7".

Phoenix (or anyone else): Is that expected in a “medium” latex mattress? Is that enough information to make a recommendation on how I could configure this for a better “fit” for me? Options are switching the top layer with the bottom, turning one or both layers over, exchanging one or both layers, or returning the mattress and getting something else.

Mark

Hi sdmark,

Unfortunately no. I don’t know anyone in the industry that has enough knowledge or experience to be able to take all the unknowns, variables, and preferences involved to use specs alone (either of a mattress or a person) or “theory at a distance” to know with any certainty which mattress may be the best match for someone in terms of PPP. If there is … I have yet to find them and I’m certainly not one of them. It would be something like trying to define a “perfect” work of art for someone else.

The more knowledgeable and experienced someone is … the more they will tend to realize that each person is unique and even people with decades of experience that have designed and built many mattresses will often be surprised at the difference between the final outcome of a mattress and their design goals and how they thought it would feel and perform based on theory.

I tend to take a more “experiential” approach to choosing (or fine tuning) a mattress rather than a more theoretical or “spec based” approach which I don’t believe is effective and often leads to a focus on specs that have little practical use or meaning at the expense of actual experience. The specifications I pay most attention to are the specs that can help assess the quality/durability of a mattress and identify any potential weak links … not the “comfort” specs.

Once you have slept on a mattress and have a reference point based on your actual experience … then post #2 here and some of the posts it links to has more information about many of the more common symptoms and experiences that people will have on a mattress that can provide some insights about the types of changes someone may need if a particular mattress doesn’t seem to be suitable for them in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

Phoenix