Brooklyn Bedding 9 inch Tri-Comfort Latex - anyone tried it?

Hi sdmark,

No unfortunately I don’t. They would be higher than the 25% numbers but you won’t need them because you know the layers you have and which ones would be firmer and which ones are softer.

When you are first sleeping on a new mattress the best thing to do at first is nothing so that the mattress has a chance to break in and you have a chance to adjust to the feel of a new sleeping surface.

When or if it becomes clear to you that you may need to make some changes to the mattress … emails aren’t an effective means of communicating more complex information and don’t provide the more nuanced and interactive communication you will need to make the best decisions. I would always talk about these types of issues on the phone … never by email.

Phoenix

Mark, what have your result been like thus far with the C4 over the C3? I would say its probably not ideal longterm, but are you now of the mindset at this point that you’d best served exchanging the C3 layer for a C5, leaving yourself with the “firm” model? (C4 over C5)

Matt,

Thanks for checking in.

I’ve only had two nights on this configuration but I’m not liking it. It’s hard to describe–it is a firmer on top, but I’m still sinking in about the same amount. I have awakened aware of pressure points, or twisted into odd positions (probably trying to avoid the pressure points), or on my back (I’m usually on my side). I’ve slept maybe an hour less than usual and awakened early. So no, I don’t think C4 over C5 would work for me.

Before I switched the layers, I briefly tried turning the C3 layer convolution-side down, but leaving it on top of the C4. I can’t recall exactly why that didn’t seem like it would help–maybe it wasn’t enough of a difference. Anyway I proceeded then to the C4 over C3, both convolutions up.

Mark

Hi sdmark,

I’m not surprised that the C4 over C3 isn’t working for you since it may have moved in the wrong direction for both the comfort and support layers (a comfort layer that is too firm for good comfort/pressure relief and a support layer that is too soft for good support/alignment). I think that these layers are a little to thick to make effective use of a dominating layer (a firmer layer over a softer layer).

Given some of your feedback … you may be better off with C3 (good pressure relief) over C5 (firmer support with less sagging under the heavier parts of your body).

Phoenix

I wanted to post a brief follow-up on this.

Yes, that might have helped. Purely from a mattress design point of view, I was still leery of two layers of deep convolutions. I decided to return the mattress.

My biggest disappointment in this experience has been dealing with Brooklyn Bedding. At the time I ordered the mattress, they had provided the information that I posted in post #6 above. When it arrived, it was substantially different. And yet they have never apologized or admitted a mistake; in fact, in his last email, the sales manager maintains, “From the first point of conversation both Jacob and myself have been up front with you about our products and what you should expect, also stating that the synthetic Dunlop latex is purchased from mountain top foam in our original conversation.” It is beyond me how 7" of 40% natural latex is identical in his mind to 6" of 100% synthetic.

Everyone makes mistakes. An “honest, open, and ethical” company admits them and, if it cannot supply what was promised, at least pays for the return.

Hi sdmark,

I think that your engineering approach may be working against you in deciding what is important in a mattress purchase because the “value” of a mattress involves much more than the depth of the convolutions or the thickness of the original layer they were cut from.

While I wasn’t on the call where you were told that the latex was 40% natural … they have always been clear with me that it was mostly synthetic latex so I’m not sure if the person you were talking with just didn’t know because the mattress was new and they hadn’t been asked this before or whether they believed that the information they were providing you was correct. I also think that your questions about the height of the convoluting would be unimportant to almost all people and it’s certainly not a question that they would normally be asked or that most manufacturers would even consider was important for a customer to know. Either way though … each person has their own criteria about what is important that may be unique to them and your experience and the thoughts you are left with about Brooklyn Bedding are unfortunate.

I also know from personal experience and my conversations with them and their ownership that Brooklyn Bedding is among the most open, honest, ethical, and even progressive manufacturers in the country and I have always been impressed with their transparency and their approach to customer service so your thoughts about them are certainly much different from mine or the many hundreds or thousands of people who have been very happy with their dealings with them. While no business is perfect … they have an amazing track record of providing great service.

I should also mention that while you will tend to sink in more deeply to synthetic latex … the convoluting is meant to help you sink in more evenly so that you are in good alignment and if you talk with Mountaintop foam they will tell you that their synthetic latex is more durable than their 100% natural (although I have to admit that I am still somewhat skeptical about this and time will tell).

While I understand the reasoning behind your comments … the reality is that your mattress was 8" of mostly synthetic latex regardless of how it was derived or the thickness of the original core. A mattress is much more than just the raw materials or the price per inch of foam or the price per pound of the fabrics (see post #5 here). There is also a cost involved in fabricating or convoluting a layer and adding value to the original core so that you can achieve the design goals of a mattress although doing it themselves in house it would be less than outsourcing the same job to a foam fabricator (outside of their machinery investment).

While your need for more technical information may be more than most people would want or even need to know … I do understand that you are disappointed with your experience and hopefully your next attempt at finding your perfect mattress that meets all your unique criteria will be more successful.

Phoenix

Hi sdmark,

It is unfortunate that this mattress did not work out for you. As I had explained over the phone comfort is relative to each individual and the offer I had extended to you was more than reasonable to have the comfort layers exchanged to the next firmest level at no charge. This was an exception that I was willing to make in order for you to be completely satisfied with the purchase you had made. This offer was declined by you as you requested to have the mattress returned for a refund minus the disclosed return shipping fee instead.

We also did not go over any specific percentages of natural to synthetic materials that were in the mattress. I had explained this was a new product with the material being from Mountain Top Foam and the higher percentage being synthetic latex, also explaining that we would contact Mountain Top and discuss with them the percentage of the synthetic to natural material to ensure we were able to offer this information in the future. I had suggested that you could also contact them to get more detailed information. We had also spoken about the convoluted material in the mattresses being a range with no specific depth.

From our emails and telephone conversations you had expressed that the mattress might simply be too soft for your needs and I feel I offered everything possible to keep you as a satisfied Brooklyn Bedding customer. When that was declined the return of the mattress was handled swiftly on your part which I do appreciate and the refund was also processed immediately.

The request for a refund of the return shipping fee came only after you had already been refunded and every detail discussed had already been agreed upon by you.

I am in contact with my other sales associates on a daily basis to ensure all of the information is accurate and up to date. Here at Brooklyn Bedding we pride our selves on providing great customer service to all of our customers and have built a great reputation in doing so.

Our policies are in place for a reason and we have them fully explained on our website so you are able to make an educated decision on how to determine the mattress to best suit your needs along with the details of our policies. We are completely upfront on the quality and materials that we offer so you are able to make that determination as easily as possible. It is unfortunate that this mattress did not provide the comfort level that you were looking for in a mattress and I hope that you are able to find a mattress to best suit your needs.

You are more than welcome to contact me by phone or email if you would like any additional information. I would be happy to further assist you if you like.

Mario Sevilla
Sales Manager
Brooklyn Bedding
480-323-8831

Since this is one of the mattresses I’ve been looking at, have read this thread with interest. I guess I’ll be in the same kind of boat with online ordering - Not really sure what firmness would be best for me. To be honest, every mattress I’ve ever bought I just tried laying on some until once felt “decent”, and never made that big of a “production” of it. If going the online route, want to try to get it right… :wink:

Hi IronMan,

When you can’t test a mattress in person then a more detailed conversation with the retailer or manufacturer is the most effective way to make a comfort choice (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The tri comfort also has the option of exchanging layers after a purchase so you can change both the comfort and support of your mattress if your actual sleeping experience indicates that you need it.

I wouldn’t make it any more complicated than this either.

Phoenix

I received my mattress about 3 weeks ago, but due to some travel, have only slept on it about 8 nights. I ordered the firm.

It is much softer than I expected. Probably the softest bed I have ever slept on. At least the top layer. I can’t say yet whether or not it is too soft for me. My back was bothering me for the first week I slept on it, so between that and adjusting to a new bed, I was not surprised my back was hurting in the morning. After traveling, I slept on it last night for the first time my back wasn’t hurting going to bed and it felt ok this morning.

I don’t have any travel for a few weeks, so i am going to give it a shot and let me adjust to it before deciding to try anything. I did ask Brooklyn Bedding if there was any options if I found it was too soft after giving it some time, they assured me there was.

I’ll update over the next few weeks.

Oh, out of curiosity, is there labels on the foam indicating the firmness level? I’ll admit my first reaction on getting the bed was that I got a soft :slight_smile:

[quote=“Wishbone” post=36736]
Oh, out of curiosity, is there labels on the foam indicating the firmness level? I’ll admit my first reaction on getting the bed was that I got a soft :)[/quote]

You should be able to identify a rating of “C4” which would likely be visible on either the end(s) or one of the sides of both layers. The firm model is two layers of C4 rated Mountain Top Synthetic Dunlop latex.

Thanks! I’ll look tonight

Ok, I have a C3 over a C4. Talked to Brooklyn Bedding, they are going to give me a call back. At this point, I think I am willing to go C4 over C5 as opposed to two C4’s.

I did confirm on my order that it was the firm that I bought

Got off the line a little while ago. Apparently the firm model was originally C3 over C4, but due to customer feedback, they switched to C4 over C4. They offered to exchange the C3 for a C4, I expressed my thought that maybe a C4 over C5 would be better. I have switched the comfort and support layer at their suggestion to try for a few nights and to call back in a few days to see how best to handle.

Switching layers by yourself on a king is not easy!

Phoenix addressed the firmer layer over softer base idea earlier in this thread and opined (along with SD Mark) that it was not a solution or an accurate measure of how two layers of C4 on top of one another would perform.

In any event, the last time I chatted with Mario I specifically asked for a C3 over C5 and was told that it was not possible because they do not carry the C5 foam. Medium = C3 over C4 which is what I have ordered and am waiting to try,

We’re you advised that C5 was an option?

No, technically I was not advised that was an option, when I suggested it, was asked to try to reverse the layers and call back in a few days. The C3 over the C4 was so soft, I felt the C4 over the C5 was the better option. I did ask when I got my mattress that I was concerned it was too soft, and was there options to fix, I was told there was. At that point, I thought the mattress was a C4 over either a C4 or C5 as a firm.

To be honest, my concern is that I am skeptical of the answer I was given that the initial firm was a C3 over a C4 and they changed it due to customer feedback, I read SD Mark’s experiences and his medium was a C3 over a C4 before I ordered my firm mattress.

I am trying the switch as suggested by the vendor to get the feel for the firmer comfort layer.

Brooklyn has a good reputation on the forum, so I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt and go through the process to see how everything works out., But iot certainly feels like I was sent the wrong mattress from everything I have read.

Hi Wishbone,

That would be the first thing I would try as well so you can assess how your experience is different from the other way around.

Phoenix

Just a quick update. I switched the layers (not an easy chore :slight_smile: ) and have slept on the new configuration for a little over a week. The C4 on top feels much better than the C3, but the C3 is definitely too soft for the bottom layer. It kind of feels like I’m on a nice mattress resting on jello…lol

I’ll contact them today or tomorrow and update later

Well, last night I bit the bullet and ordered the Tri-Comfort; Queen, Firm. Had also been considering the DreamFoam Ultimate Dreams mattress on Amazon. Chatted with the online Rep. (I think it was Josh - Not at home to check) and was comfortable with my decision. Mentioned this web site and got a 5% discount. The other option, via the web site, was to like them on Facebook and get 2 free latex pillows and a mattress protector. I’ve already got 2 latex pillows (Dream Solutions from Sears - Love them!); so that wasn’t a big draw for me; would rather have the discount. B) Looking forward to this new mattress experience…

Hi IronMan,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a good quality/value choice and as always … I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix