Brooklyn Bedding Aloe Alexis on the Way

Hello,

I’m a new member but have been lurking for awhile. Based on all of the information I found on this site, I pulled the trigger on a BB Aloe Alexis last night. I’m 5’10’’ 190lb side sleeper. I currently have a cushion firm innerspring and I wake up every morning with a very stiff lower back and neck pain all day. I dread going to bed at night.

Based on Mario’s recommendation, I’m going with the “medium” level 6 comfort (24ILD on top layer, 28ILD below that level). Mario was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I am looking forward to receiving this mattress! This is my first latex mattress and any mattress different than innersprings.

I will update with my impressions after a few weeks with the bed. Thanks for an amazing site Phoenix!

Jason

Hi jmc612,

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and as you know you also have good options available after your purchase if you need to make any comfort adjustments.

Thanks for the kind words as well and I’m glad the site could help you.

Most of all … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

Update:

I received my mattress and foundation yesterday. I’m amazed that a king sized foundation could fit in the box that it came in! It took about 20 minutes to unpack the mattress and add the two latex layers (28 ILD and 24 ILD (comfort layer)). The top fabric feels very soft and luxurious. When initially lying on the mattress, I could tell that it was less firm than my old cushion firm innerspring. I was super excited to try it out.

First night: When I went to bed, it didn’t feel as “plush” when I lied on it. I tossed and turned like I normally would all night. When I woke up, I didn’t feel rested and I had the same lower back pain. I know it takes time to get used to a new mattress.

Questions: I’ve read that the latex will breakdown and “soften” over time. How long does that take? I’m thinking about dropping to an 8 (24 ILD bottom layer 19 ILD top layer).

Thoughts?

Jason

Hi jmc612,

All foam materials (polyfoam, memory foam, latex foam) will soften to some degree initially over the first 30 - 90 days or so but with latex it will be less than other types of foam and any further softening that happens over a longer period of time will also be less and happen more slowly than other foam types (which is why latex in general is the most durable foam material). The cover and quilting will also “break in” as well as the materials or fabrics stretch and lose some of their initial “false firmness” and stiffness. There is also more in post #2 here about the break in and adjustment period for a new mattress and some other suggestions that may be helpful as well but in most cases it’s best to “do nothing” for the first 30 days or so and then assess whether you need to make any changes or adjustments after that.

Phoenix

We’ve had the Aloe Alexis for about a month. It has softened up a little, but not much. We bought the # 5 hardness (28/32), which was Mario’s recommendation, but it was WAY to hard, so we went to # 6 (24/28). That suits us extremely well and we love LOVE LOVE this mattress. It may be that the # 6 is not right for you and maybe you should try the # 8. It’s no big deal, they’ll ship you a replacement for $75. There’s really no point suffering on a too firm mattress when a softer one is one phone call away. I will add that we were initially not that thrilled but have become fanatically happy with the Aloe Alexis over the last month. I wouldn’t even think about sleeping on anything else; the Aloe Alexis is definitely one of those “pry it out of my cold dead hands” purchases for me.

Part of it is, you have to get used to it, and part of it is, to not be bashful about getting a properly soft version of it if that’s what you like better. Though this may not be what others think, my own sense is that latex is not that soft and does benefit from going a little softer than one might with a different medium.