Brooklyn Bedding Aloe Alexis or Mattress.net Adjustable Ultra Plush

I am anxious to hear the responses you get. My husband and I are also deciding between these 2 and a couple of others. We have very similar stats to you and your husband.

The mattresses you listed are probably the top 2 we are deciding between. We still can’t seem to eliminate either the ultimate dreams 10" latex mattress for $749, or the ultimate dreams eurotop latex 12" mattress for $999 (king size). Of these we are thinking of getting 2 of the 10" for our kids, and we’d get the eurotop if we went with this option.

The king Aloe Alexis is $1499. The mattresses.net mattress is $1395 with the 2" topper.

I just called and left a message for Arizona Premium (mattresses.net), asking for the price for the 3" topper. Do you happen to know how much more it is?

I just wanted to add what I can to the discussion. I was speaking with Jacob with Brooklyn Bedding via Chat and he let me know that the density of the Omalon foam is 2.17lbs in the Aloe Alexis.

I am very close to pulling the trigger on purchasing this bed.

Looking forward to hearing further discussion.

EDIT: I wanted to add my thoughts since I am also essentially deciding between these two mattresses (Aloe Alexis and the Adjustable Ultra Plush

Aloe Alexis → 6" latex over 6.5" HD polyfoam w/1.5" quilt (14" mattress)
Pros:
120 day exchange window
Free shipping on exchanges both ways
More adjustable because have 2 variable layers of latex
ILDs as low as 14
Cons:
Core is 2.17 density foam rather than latex
Costs $100 more than all-latex alternative

Adjustable Ultra Plus → 7.6" latex w/1.5" quilt (9" mattress)
Pros:
All latex
$100 less than aloe alexis (in queen sizing) (not sure what optional 3" topper would make the price)
Cons:
Exchanges involve the 5.6" core rather than the 2 or 3" comfort layer. This would make shipping more expensive
Exchanges are subject to UPS shipping fees
Exchange window is only 60 days
ILDs only down to 22

I’m a long time lurker myself and reading all of the options makes one dizzy with all the choices. I’m so worried about ordering online without trying them out. However, my wife and I have been all over our city trying to find the right mattress and are tired of all dealing with all the sales people.
Furthermore, we have bought three beds (Sealy latex, Simmons black coil spring, and Denver mattress) and had to sell all of them on craigslist at 1/4 the price paid after purchasing them. Just weren’t comfortable. I have bulging disc in L5 and need a slightly firm mattress. My wifes hip aches if bed is too firm OR too soft…it like the princess and the pea! I’m talking about both of us!!!

These are the two mattresses we are debating on as well. Can’t wait to hear from others and hopefully Phoenix will chime in as well.
Thanks,
Cburngo

Hi Seymour,

You are certainly looking at great choices and when you are down to the final stages of “good vs good” then it really comes down to the objective, subjective, and intangible difference that are most important to you based on your own personal value equation. There really isn’t a “better or worse” choice at this point … only best for each of you.

While I don’t help people make final choices about what mattress to choose other than helping to eliminate options where one is clearly worse or perhaps more “risky” than another (which isn’t the case here) … post #2 here and post #2 here, and post #136 here (along with the previous link about your “value equation”) may help you with how to choose between two quite different choices where there is no clear “better or worse”.

At this point nobody else can really say which one is “best” for anyone but themselves and either way you have some great options and some “difficult” tradeoffs between them :slight_smile:

If its any comfort … just imagine all the people buying mattresses who have final choices between “poor and poor” and both they and the salespeople they are dealing with don’t know it. There are no “mistakes” in terms or quality and value in any of your choices.

Phoenix

I just spoke with Greg at mattresses.net. It is $125 to upgrade the topper from 2" to 3". The 3" topper only comes in either 19 ild or 28 ild, nothing in between. The 2" topper only comes in 22 ild.

He explained the difference between the 3 kings they have for sale. There is one for $1395 that is a talalay blend and only 40% talalay. The next is $1495 and is 100% Dunlop, the final is $1595 and 100% talalay.

There is also a $150 shipping charge. I think after looking at the #s, (1595+ 150 shipping + 125 upgrade to 3"= $1870)I would probably be more inclined to go with the 10" ultimate dreams total latex mattress for $1799, but I need to find more details about it. There are no reviews on amazon.com for it yet.

Could either one of these sleep hotter than the other? I had a latex bed made by Sealy…not sure if it was Dunlop or tala lay but it was 10 years ago when I had it …back when they first came out with latex. It was miserably HOT! Had to get rid of it. Sold it for pennies on the dollar.
Also, it sounds like the adjustable ultra plush might not be capable of getting as firm as the aloe Alexis (for what it’s worth, I was thinking of getting the aloe Alexis in a 6 or 5 firmness level…slightly firm but with some cushion)

Phoenix, thank you for all this info! So glad I found this site. We have tried so many mattresses and spent so much money that I am really studying this site to make the best decision before pulling the trigger on one.

Hi Cburngo,

Sealy uses mostly synthetic Dunlop (called “smart latex”) in their mattresses. If you had one of the Embody series you would have been sleeping directly on this synthetic latex (with no breathable quilting) but if you had one of the “Springfree” models with a latex core, then you would have been sleeping on polyfoam layers not latex because they all have fairly thick layers of polyfoam above the latex. It’s a shame that they did this and there have been several members here who have had issues with these after a very few years and in some cases have taken the mattress apart and removed the polyfoam and replaced it with better latex and ended up with a better mattress than they purchased (at inflated prices) in the first place.

You can gain some insights into all the different factors that are involved in temperature regulation in post #2 here and post #29 here.

In the comfort layers (which deal primarily with pressure relief) this is correct but with the deeper support layers (which deals with support and alignment) then mattresses.net has options from soft to firm. The thinner the comfort layer the more of the “feel” of the layers below it will “come through”. Layer thickness can play just as important a role as layer softness in a mattress in terms of what is soft or firm. I would also keep in mind that the Brooklyn Bedding uses quilted polyfoam above the latex (which will make the comfort layer a little thicker and softer than the ILD alone would indicate) while mattresses.net uses just wool (which will slightly firm up the “feel” of the latex).

Every layer and component in a mattress will affect the “feel and performance” of every other layer to greater or lesser degrees.

Phoenix

I’m in Iowa, but interested in a latex mattress. There are limited choices around, but it so happens I will be traveling to Phoenix, AZ next week. I plan on checking out the 3 members in the area outlined in the following post.

Is there anything I need to stay away from or be aware of when looking at these companies? After finding the right comfort, support combination I’m looking for durability and longevity over price. I’m not looking at throwing away my money, but will definitely pay for quality.

The dipping and impression scare me for some reason. I’m 6’ 215lbs and find myself moving throughout the night from my back, side and belly/side with 2-3 pillows.

Hi brad0104,

No … all of them are exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful. With SleepEz and Mattresses.net you can just go to their outlet and with Brooklyn Bedding you would need to call for an appointment to meet them at their factory because they don’t carry the mattresses that they sell online at their liquidation outlets (which are a completely separate part of the company).

Every one of them will give you accurate information about all the materials in their mattresses and which ones are more durable.

You are in good hands and you are fortunate to be near Phoenix and have the kind of selection, quality and value available so close to you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Happened to be in Ft.Worth today and went by Mattress Factory. Unfortunately, Peter was not there to help us :frowning:

So, we are back to deciding between these two models: Brooklyn bedding aloe Alexis vs. mattress.net adjustable ultra plush.

Are there any reviews on either of these beds from people who have has them for a few months?
I am torn… Just want to make sure I make the best decision. Me: 200 lbs and 6’ tall. Wife: 130 and 6’ tall.
I have back problems and need support but don’t want it so firm that it’s not comfortable. Im mostly a back sleeper and occasionally on side. Wife has to be comfortable, too firm mattress and her hip hurts. She is mostly a side sleeper.
Also, I am hot natured…is latex the right choice for us?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Cburngo,

A forum search on Ultimate Dreams and Brooklyn Bedding or on mattresses.net (you can just click any of these) will bring up many comments and feedback about both of them. I don’t keep a specific list of which posts contain reviews though.

As you probably know … both of these are members here which means I consider them to be among the best quality and value in the country.

Latex as a material has been in use for over 60 years so the benefits and the durability of the material itself (both Talalay and Dunlop) are well documented regardless of which manufacturer uses it in their mattress. It’s always the construction and materials in a mattress that are the most important and the manufacturer is just the one that puts their label on the finished mattress. Latex is the most durable of the three main types of foam that are used in mattresses (latex, polyfoam, and memory foam).

Of course this doesn’t speak to the specific design or layering that would be most suitable for you in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) but I would discourage you from using other people’s “comfort reviews” as an indication of how suitable a mattress may be for you (see post #4 here). Each person can have completely different needs and preferences and very different definitions of soft or firm and to decide on a specific mattress it’s always much better to become familiar with a material in your own experience by testing different versions at local manufacturers or retailers. At the very least you would need to have more detailed conversations with each manufacturers you are considering on the phone where you can ask your questions and give them more information about your body type, sleeping style and preferences … as well as the results of your local testing … which can help them to help you make the best possible decisions based on the “averages” of their customers that may be similar similar to you. Learning about the materials in a mattress along with local testing and more detailed conversations on the phone in the case of online manufacturers are the most effective way to make a choice.

Of the three main types of foam … latex is the most breathable and the coolest sleeping so it can be a good choice for people who sleep hot yes. There are also many other factors that determine the temperature regulation of a mattress besides just the upper foam layers though and you can read about them in post #2 here and in post #29 here.

Hopefully you’ve also read post #1 here which along with the information it links to is the most important post on the forum and will give you all the basic information and steps you need to make the best possible decisions. I would personally hesitate to purchase a mattress that used materials that I wasn’t personally familiar with until I had tested them (the materials not necessarily the specific mattress) in person.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Thanks so much Phoenix! This site is a great resource…thank you for building it!

[quote=“Tennisfreak” post=14564]I just spoke with Greg at mattresses.net. It is $125 to upgrade the topper from 2" to 3". The 3" topper only comes in either 19 ild or 28 ild, nothing in between. The 2" topper only comes in 22 ild.

He explained the difference between the 3 kings they have for sale. There is one for $1395 that is a talalay blend and only 40% talalay. The next is $1495 and is 100% Dunlop, the final is $1595 and 100% talalay.

There is also a $150 shipping charge. I think after looking at the #s, (1595+ 150 shipping + 125 upgrade to 3"= $1870)I would probably be more inclined to go with the 10" ultimate dreams total latex mattress for $1799, but I need to find more details about it. There are no reviews on amazon.com for it yet.[/quote]

Just wanted to chime in and add a few more thing to confuse you. :lol:
There’s also choices between bamboo and cotton covers. The MN Adjustable Ultra Plush is $200 more for a bamboo cover, queen size.
Then we have wool quilted into cover for comfort and fire retardant or not.
Just my 2 cent as I also been looking at ‘Amazon’ Brooklyn Bedding and ‘Arizona’ Mattress.Net.

note: BB Cotton Camilla does not use wool as stated on web site per talk with chuck, he was going to have it updated, not sure if it has been.
Good Luck Everyone
AcGolfer

Hi Acgolfer,

Just to clarify … the extra cost is actually for the upgrade from blended Talalay to 100% natural Talalay and the different cover is just an extra “bonus” that goes with this.

I’d never seen any wool listed in the description pages for the Camilla. Just out of curiosity which page mentions wool?

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, still thinking about selection of a mattress.
I liking the BB Bamboo Bliss ($1099)as it has wool and bamboo as I am putting value into those 2 things and
the MN Adjustable Ultra Plush ($1195 + $150 shipping) with wool and apparently bamboo as a upgrade, plus it is all latex.

[quote=“Phoenix” post=15098]Hi Acgolfer,

[quote]
Just to clarify … the extra cost is actually for the upgrade from blended Talalay to 100% natural Talalay and the different cover is just an extra “bonus” that goes with this.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Thanks for catching that, the extra $200 for bamboo on a queen, was one of the factor in my equation.
Now I’ll need to found out the extra cost for just a bamboo cover as I not interested in an all natural Talalay.

[quote]I’d never seen any wool listed in the description pages for the Camilla. Just out of curiosity which page mentions wool?

Phoenix[/quote][/quote]

I pretty sure it was on the first page, overview page where they had the benefit list. It looks like their web site has been updates since when I was looking last month. They wasn’t using the new 2.17 lb HD Omalon Foam Core on their beds at BB but was still using the convoluted foam in all their mattress not just on Amazon.
I know their web site is still new and a work in progress but if you go to the Cotton Camilla, Construction tab it is more confusing as it list using Memory Foam and not too specific about the core foam.

AcGolfer

Hi AcGolfer,

Nice catch!

I’ll mention that to them when I talk with them next (if someone hasn’t already). I’ve mentioned a few mistakes I’ve noticed when I’ve been browsing their site when I’ve talked with them but I hadn’t seen that one.

[quote]Thanks for catching that, the extra $200 for bamboo on a queen, was one of the factor in my equation.
Now I’ll need to found out the extra cost for just a bamboo cover as I not interested in an all natural Talalay.[/quote]

I don’t know what the cost would be but I know they can use any cover you want so having the blended along with the bamboo cover shouldn’t be a problem.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix

A quick question about the core foam used at Brooklyn Bedding. I understand the IDL of latex but I was reading here where you mentioned the density of the polyfoam does not translate into firmness level. I realize I should be asking Chuck at BB but didn’t know to ask him the last time I talked to him. So I was wondering if you knew if the non latex foam cores of Brooklyn Bedding mattresses come in different firmness? Thanks

AcGolfer

Hi AcGolfer,

Yes … with latex density translates into firmness but with polyfoam density is independent of firmness and both low and high density polyfoam can be made in a wide range of firmness levels.

As far as I know they come in a single firmness level.

Phoenix

Well Phoenix, I finally pulled the trigger. I decided against Brooklyn Bedding foam core and spent the extra and went with the all latex Adjustable Ultra Plush from Ken at Mattress Net. Although both are good bed, my value equation push me toward the latex core.
Thanks for all your help.

Hi AcGolfer,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You made a great choice and best of all it’s the one that best fits your personal value equation.

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix