Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Bliss vs Aloe Alexis and other questions

I’m in the market for a new mattress and spent a day at the usual retail places. For what it’s worth, my favorites at Sleepy’s were some Sleep Options foam beds and the bottom of the line Sealy CoolSense. After looking around online, I’m leaning towards one of two mattresses from Brooklyn Bedding. I’m 6’3" 235lbs with some lower and mid-back pain from a 10 year old pillow top mattress.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these Brooklyn offerings? I guess there’s probably very few people, if any, who have tried both…but I figure it’s worth asking, and I’d love input from anyone who owns eitehr.

On a separate note, one thing I like about the Bamboo Bliss and the Aloe Alexis is the wool layer for heat dissipation. I sleep hotter than most. I currently have box springs, but after doing some browsing here I get the impression that a vented metal / wood base would help with heat. I know Brooklyn has their own frame…is this a good item to settle on? Is there a thread that compares cheaper bases? I can’t spend too much on the base, and I will likely start saving up for an adjustable frame (assuming the Brooklyn Bedding mattresses are compatible with adjustable bases…I don’t know why they wouldn’t be).

Anyway, thanks for reading, and thanks for any input.

Hi maxwalrath,

Post #1 here has the basic information, steps, and guidelines that will answer most of your questions and help you make the best possible choices. It will also help you avoid most of the most frustrating and time wasting parts of searching for a new mattress like visiting Sleepy’s or testing major brands :slight_smile:

I think post #4 here about the difference between a latex/polyfoam hybrid and an all latex mattress will give you a good sense of the value of having more latex in your mattress if you can comfortably afford it. This would be particularly true with higher weights because latex is a much higher performance material in a middle transition layer. The Alexis also has more options to rearrange or exchange layers than the Bamboo Bliss which only has one latex layer.

The foundation or base is really too deep in the sleeping system to have a significant effect on heat issues which are mostly about the layers closer to the top of a mattress. You can read more about the different facctors involved in sleeping temperature in post #2 here. The advantage of having a more breathable base is more about reducing the risk of dust mites, mold, and mildew (see post #10 here) than about sleeping temperature.

The foundation thread here may be helpful.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix!