Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

Hi leol,

I’m not sure when you opened your mattress but it could have been one of the 3 - 4% that was affected by the gluing/compression issue I mentioned in my last reply so if it’s still outside of their standard sizing (see post #2 here) after a week or so (if you just received it recently) then I would certainly contact them.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=54803]Hi leol,

I’m not sure when you opened your mattress but it could have been one of the 3 - 4% that was affected by the gluing/compression issue I mentioned in my last reply so if it’s still outside of their standard sizing (see post #2 here) after a week or so (if you just received it recently) then I would certainly contact them.

Phoenix[/quote]

I received the mattress three days back and placed it on a bed two days back.

Hi leol,

As you mentioned in your earlier reply … I would probably give it a couple more days and then if it hasn’t reached it’s full dimensions I would give them a call.

Phoenix

Reporting on the BB-BME, Medium, Cal King, ordered on July 4th.

Two weeks have passed now with the mattress. This is a good mattress overall with no major complaints on how it sleeps. Love the plush cover of this mattress and it’s got excellent bounce which I guess is a characteristic having Latex in the top layers. What a treat if you are coming from a slow-reacting foam mattress!

However some minor complaints are noted including the more serious “failure to expand to size” problem.

Odor/Outgassing:
Slight odor was detected right after inflation from the box. It didn’t bother me since I could barely detect it with my nose but it did bother my wife. I solved this problem quickly though by opening all windows in the room and placing a high-velocity fan (set at maximum speed) to blow air continuously right over the mattress for 14 straight hours forcing air throughout the room. BTW the mattress was taken out of its plastic wrapping in the morning and used on the same night. Odor was gone by night time and my “sensitive” wife could barely detect any.

Sleep Comfort
I am a side sleeper, the wife is a back sleeper. Wife found the mattress perfect for her sleeping style (so far) but I wish it was a tad softer for me. Although the cotton cover is first class, I wish the soft material right under it was a tad thicker. I found myself thinking that if it had it been 0.5 inch thicker it might have “hit the spot” for my side sleeping as well.

Size
A Cal King mattress should measure 72 x 84 but after 2 weeks of sleeping on this mattress it measured only 70 x 83. That amount of shortfall in size makes the slats of the base frame difficult to hide even after the covers are on. The strange thing is that this mattress is visibly NOT RECTANGULAR and if you measure it at its center it comes much closer to the size it should be. There is definitely something with this mattress that BB needs to figure out in regards to inflation/size. By comparison, a cheaper COSTCO foam mattress I had bought from COSTCO a few months ago measured less than 1/2 inch off of the stated specification within 2 days of inflation.

The size problem is by far our biggest complain with this mattress so far. At this moment our plan is to stay with it for at least 60 days monitoring both the size and the quality of our sleep before we make a final decision.

Reporting back-

I received my BB King medium Mattress on thursday 7/23/15, Approximately a week from the date of order. I have it placed on a king size bed frame from amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Leather-Platform-Wooden-Slats/dp/B00NHWGGWE/ref=lp_3733101_1_8?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1437936679&sr=1-8

I will quickly mention this bedframe is great! cheap, solid, and extremely easy to put together, and disassemble to move if needed.

so I have been sleeping on the king medium now 3 nights as of this post and heres what I can report from my personal experience.

The box it comes in is a great size for moving around, however it is surprisingly heavy. Not a bad thing, but I do suggest most people should get help moving it around so you don’t hurt yourself.

Unpacking basically place it on the bed frame you intend it to be on, and peel off the vacuum wrapper until you see just the mattress in the heavy duty plastic. spin it, slide it, into position and carefully tear open the plastic. It quickly expands and is quite large and heavy so have it as close to position as possible.

neither of us noticed any smell after unwrapping…

By day 3 it still has not reached full width approximately 3-4 inches shy of filling the full width of the king bed frame. And about an inch or so in length. I have however noticed as the days go by it has expanded slightly more.

sleeping experience: Well, coming from a memory foam bed with a memory foam topper.
This one - https://www.amazon.com/Density-Elastic-Memory-Foam-Mattress/dp/B004AR5X92/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1437937154&sr=1-1&keywords=memory+foam+topper
The latex mattress is certainly a new experience. More Supportive is the right word, consistent in pressure as a good description. Doesn’t seem to get hot or change in pressure applied against you no matter how long you lay on it, coming from what we had thats a good thing. , and the side support doesn’t seem to be an issue, at least for me.

The drawbacks, well motion transfer seems to be issue number 1. since ive been with my fiancee we have always had a memory foam mattress. I have shoulder and neck injuries and do apparently toss and turn a bit at night to get comfortable. That was never an issue on memory foam, on this however it has become a problem for us. Obviously the new material is going to take some getting used to but the degree of this issue is something we didn’t think about,
The supportive nature of the mattress along with its slight “bounciness” of being latex is nice, but lay in one position too long and i started to feel almost sore, almost forcing me to move again and put the constant pressure on another part of the body. The movement going from back to side causes the motion transfer.

So night 2, we decided to try the queen size memory foam topper from the old bed and put it on the new one. Well, ill say this…it did significantly decrease motion transfer which was nice. Not to zero like the old bed but MUCH better… and seemed to relieve some of the pressure point problems. the woman was happy as well and as well as on night 3, we both woke up happy and refreshed. No heat retention problems with the topper either. I do realize this defeats alot of the purpose of this mattress, but it is great quality, it does do everything its suppose to, its just very different and this remedy seemed to help us dramatically.

I will also reiterate the mattress , going into night 4 still hasnt reached full king size, which is someone disappointing, but ill continue to be patient and see what happens in a week or so. We also do plan to order the correct size memory foam mattress topper for the king.

Hi Lower_Back_Pain and billynath1,

Thanks to both of you for the detailed comments and feedback about your mattresses … I appreciate it :).

As you probably know from your reading here … memory foam is the most motion isolating of all the foam materials and would generally be considered to be “excellent” but latex is also “good” at motion isolation and for most people this wouldn’t be an issue but of course this is always relative to each person and what they are used to so this is one of the advantages of a good trial period so you can see if it’s “motion isolating enough” for your own specific circumstances or whether the advantages of latex are “worth” any additional motion transfer compared to memory foam.

The most important goal of a mattress is that you sleep well on it and that it is a good match for you in terms of support/alignment, comfort/pressure relief and all the other preferences that are important to you regardless of the materials inside it or the individual components of a sleeping system so if adding a memory foam topper to a mattress works better for you then I certainly don’t think that it would defeat the purpose of the mattress.

They have identified and corrected the reason that a few of their mattresses weren’t expanding to their full size (see the end of post #116 here) so if your mattresses haven’t reached full size after about a week or so then I would definitely give them a call.

Phoenix

Instead of putting the bed in the floor I bought a frame like the one in the photo. They must have fixe whatever the issue was cause I opened my mattress and it expended really fast I mean within 10-15 minutes. I measured the frame and it was just at 60 inches the mattress came out at 57 inches wide and ended up right at about 59 after about 3 days. I talked to the guys on chat the day it came cause delivery was super fast it shipped out the same day I ordered it and was at my house two days later #awesome. My bed is firm but not too firm, with good edge support and is heavy. Feels really well built I originally chatted to thank them for the super fast delivery but also to ask if I could sleep on the mattress the same night they said that the pressure on the mattress is good to help it expanded and and to keep in mind the mattress will continue to get firmer as it expanded. Overall I am really happy. I have already referred some friends and family, apparently they now offer some type of referral program so I will have to find out what that is all about. The mattress and the service is especially great. Hope to see this forum continue to help others for years and years.

Hi jburns,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s great to hear that your choice turned out well for you!

I think that your frame will also make getting in and out of bed much easier than putting your mattress on the floor.

I certainly plan to be here for a very long time and to continue developing and improving the content and reach of the site over time as well.

Phoenix

I decided to pull the trigger as well. Just bought the Medium Brooklyn Bedding #BestMattressEver. Thanks for the wonderful forum, this place has tons of information and helped me with my decision. Will keep you guys updated on pics and results.

Hi PlamenTrack,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback as well.

Phoenix

Hello, I will be ordering a mattress from Brooklyn Bedding this evening. I appreciate all the information and wish I would have found this forum before ordering my last mattress. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with tuft and needle. I am currently on one of their mattresses and it is hard as a rock. BB said that their medium will be softer then the t&n. BB has a lot of good reviews here that’s why I chose them over others. They also seem to have better quality materials in their mattress. It was weird cause I originally contacted Casper about their mattress also and the sales rep there completely talked me out of buying their mattress saying that if I don’t like the tuft mattress I will not like theirs either. The folks at BB were really nice and informative but I would like to know whether or not to got with soft or medium based on any others experience with a similar situation. I am not very heavy about 170lbs 5’11" and I sleep on my side. I am sure I will be ordering one I just want to try to get it right the firs time. I am glad that they have options rather than sticking with the one level fits all philosophy. That’s dumb IMO. Thx in advance for the help.

Stan.

Hi inightstan,

As you know I think highly of Brooklyn Bedding and you are certainly making a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

I would be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

I would also keep in mind that there are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness as well and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, any special considerations you may have, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs or firmness options to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses (such as Tuft & Needle) that they are familiar with than anyone else.

Phoenix

After reading a lot about mattresses, I ended up with 3 options: Brooklyn Bedding, Casper and T&N.

Given the messages in this thread, I bought a King sized Brooklyn Bedding BestMattressEver and received it last Wednesday. All I can say is that it is a very good mattress, probably the best I’ve owned. So, thank you Phoenix for putting together the information on this site: it is really consumer friendly and useful.

My only problem is that after a week, the mattress is still 2 inches short :frowning: (74 inches vs 76) and it looks ugly in the frame. My wife is suggesting we should return it, but I’m sleeping so well that I don’t want to. I guess I’ll give it one more week.

Hi segfault,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and it’s good to hear that you are sleeping so well on your mattress.

As you can see at the end of post #116 here … there was a small percentage of a few of their production runs that had an issue with expanding to their full size or in some cases that were taking longer to reach their full size. While the reason this was happening has been resolved … it’s possible that yours was one of these and if you have measured your mattress correctly and it still hasn’t reached it’s normal dimensions in another week or so (see post #2 here) then if you give them a call they will be happy to help you.

Phoenix

I would like to thank Phoenix and all the rest of you for your comments and insights. I have been on this site since 10:op AM and I have learned so much. I am now ready, (after discussing with my husband) to purchase the Brooklyn Bedding mattress but before I do I wonder If motion transfer is a problem for many or just a few.
Thanks

Hi Sofilu,

Latex is very “point elastic” and because of this larger motions only affect a smaller area around the point of compression than most other materials that are used in mattress comfort layers. In a way … it’s the pocket coil of the resilient foam world because each “area” of the mattress can flex more independently without affecting the area around it. Other than memory foam … latex is the most point elastic foam material and in this way is similar to memory foam although it has a “valley shaped” impression more than a more “canyon” shaped impression (steeper walls around the impression which means less of the surrounding area is affected) and is also a very resilient material and doesn’t absorb energy like memory foam so memory foam surface layers would be slightly better than latex in terms of motion isolation. There is more about latex vs memory foam in post #2 here.

While the only way to know whether any specific mattress would be “motion isolating enough” for those who are very sensitive … it would be fair to say that while you may know your partner is moving if you are awake … only a few more sensitive people would be affected by the motions of their partner when they are sleeping with a mattress that has latex comfort layers.

Phoenix

I’m considering the Brooklyn Bedding medium mattress. One thing I’m concerned about with latex is the “pushback” that I’ve heard of. I’ve used a 3" latex topper before and I did feel that, I’m worried it would be an issue with this as well. Anyone have experience with that and the Brooklyn Bedding mattresses?

I am so appreciative of your quick response. I feel more confident and less concerned after having read your post. I will give this mattress a try. Thanks again.
All the best

Hi trmiv,

“Pushback” is really a misnomer and is just another term that some people use to describe the “resilience” or “springiness” of a material … sometimes in combination with the pressure they are experiencing in certain parts of the body or with shear forces on the sleeping surface (see post #18 here) and latex in general is the most resilient of all the foam materials (although springs are more resilient than latex and some types of latex are more resilient than others). Resilience is related to the ability of a material to store and return energy and is measured by the percentage of the rebound when a steel ball is dropped on a material rather than its opposite which is hysteresis which is the ability of a material to absorb energy. Lower resilience and higher hysteresis produces less bounce.

Resilience is something that you can only feel with movement because when your body is at rest on a mattress the compression forces of your body pushing down are balanced by the increasing resistive forces of the mattress (regardless of the resilience of the materials in the mattress) and there is no longer any “direction” to the forces which are in equilibrium.

What some people describe as “pushback” can also be related to feeling either unfamiliar or uncomfortable pressure in certain parts of the body where it “feels like” a mattress is pushing back in an area that you may be experiencing more pressure or “resistance” from the material than you are used to because different materials or types of mattresses can distribute your weight across the sleeping surface in different ways.

While resilience also has very little to do with overall “comfort” (which is very subjective and relative to each person’s preferences) or with pressure relief or pressure points (which has much more to do with the point elasticity and ability of a material to contour to a body shape, the firmness of a material, and the thickness of the comfort layers … see post #4 here) … resilience can affect the ease of movement on a mattress because less resilient materials such as memory foam that “store” energy rather than “return” energy can feel more “motion restricting” than more resilient foam materials or components and a lack of resilience or “bounce” can also affect some of the “other” activities that can happen on a mattress for some people as well (see post #2 here).

In other words … the resilience or “springiness” of a material is just one of many preference choices that can affect the more subjective “feel” of a mattress and not a “better/worse” choice. Some people just prefer more resilient materials and some people prefer less resilient materials in their mattress.

There is also more about “pushback” in post #2 here and at the end of post #11 here.

In the end the only way to know whether a mattress will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or whether it will be more or less resilient than you prefer will be based on your own personal experience

Phoenix

Hi Sofilu,

[quote]I am so appreciative of your quick response. I feel more confident and less concerned after having read your post. I will give this mattress a try. Thanks again.
All the best [/quote]

I’m glad the information here could help you … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You are certainly making a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to try it out and sleep on it.

Phoenix