Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

Instead of putting the bed in the floor I bought a frame like the one in the photo. They must have fixe whatever the issue was cause I opened my mattress and it expended really fast I mean within 10-15 minutes. I measured the frame and it was just at 60 inches the mattress came out at 57 inches wide and ended up right at about 59 after about 3 days. I talked to the guys on chat the day it came cause delivery was super fast it shipped out the same day I ordered it and was at my house two days later #awesome. My bed is firm but not too firm, with good edge support and is heavy. Feels really well built I originally chatted to thank them for the super fast delivery but also to ask if I could sleep on the mattress the same night they said that the pressure on the mattress is good to help it expanded and and to keep in mind the mattress will continue to get firmer as it expanded. Overall I am really happy. I have already referred some friends and family, apparently they now offer some type of referral program so I will have to find out what that is all about. The mattress and the service is especially great. Hope to see this forum continue to help others for years and years.

Hi jburns,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s great to hear that your choice turned out well for you!

I think that your frame will also make getting in and out of bed much easier than putting your mattress on the floor.

I certainly plan to be here for a very long time and to continue developing and improving the content and reach of the site over time as well.

Phoenix

I decided to pull the trigger as well. Just bought the Medium Brooklyn Bedding #BestMattressEver. Thanks for the wonderful forum, this place has tons of information and helped me with my decision. Will keep you guys updated on pics and results.

Hi PlamenTrack,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback as well.

Phoenix

Hello, I will be ordering a mattress from Brooklyn Bedding this evening. I appreciate all the information and wish I would have found this forum before ordering my last mattress. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with tuft and needle. I am currently on one of their mattresses and it is hard as a rock. BB said that their medium will be softer then the t&n. BB has a lot of good reviews here that’s why I chose them over others. They also seem to have better quality materials in their mattress. It was weird cause I originally contacted Casper about their mattress also and the sales rep there completely talked me out of buying their mattress saying that if I don’t like the tuft mattress I will not like theirs either. The folks at BB were really nice and informative but I would like to know whether or not to got with soft or medium based on any others experience with a similar situation. I am not very heavy about 170lbs 5’11" and I sleep on my side. I am sure I will be ordering one I just want to try to get it right the firs time. I am glad that they have options rather than sticking with the one level fits all philosophy. That’s dumb IMO. Thx in advance for the help.

Stan.

Hi inightstan,

As you know I think highly of Brooklyn Bedding and you are certainly making a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

I would be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

I would also keep in mind that there are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness as well and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, any special considerations you may have, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs or firmness options to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses (such as Tuft & Needle) that they are familiar with than anyone else.

Phoenix

After reading a lot about mattresses, I ended up with 3 options: Brooklyn Bedding, Casper and T&N.

Given the messages in this thread, I bought a King sized Brooklyn Bedding BestMattressEver and received it last Wednesday. All I can say is that it is a very good mattress, probably the best I’ve owned. So, thank you Phoenix for putting together the information on this site: it is really consumer friendly and useful.

My only problem is that after a week, the mattress is still 2 inches short :frowning: (74 inches vs 76) and it looks ugly in the frame. My wife is suggesting we should return it, but I’m sleeping so well that I don’t want to. I guess I’ll give it one more week.

Hi segfault,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and it’s good to hear that you are sleeping so well on your mattress.

As you can see at the end of post #116 here … there was a small percentage of a few of their production runs that had an issue with expanding to their full size or in some cases that were taking longer to reach their full size. While the reason this was happening has been resolved … it’s possible that yours was one of these and if you have measured your mattress correctly and it still hasn’t reached it’s normal dimensions in another week or so (see post #2 here) then if you give them a call they will be happy to help you.

Phoenix

I would like to thank Phoenix and all the rest of you for your comments and insights. I have been on this site since 10:op AM and I have learned so much. I am now ready, (after discussing with my husband) to purchase the Brooklyn Bedding mattress but before I do I wonder If motion transfer is a problem for many or just a few.
Thanks

Hi Sofilu,

Latex is very “point elastic” and because of this larger motions only affect a smaller area around the point of compression than most other materials that are used in mattress comfort layers. In a way … it’s the pocket coil of the resilient foam world because each “area” of the mattress can flex more independently without affecting the area around it. Other than memory foam … latex is the most point elastic foam material and in this way is similar to memory foam although it has a “valley shaped” impression more than a more “canyon” shaped impression (steeper walls around the impression which means less of the surrounding area is affected) and is also a very resilient material and doesn’t absorb energy like memory foam so memory foam surface layers would be slightly better than latex in terms of motion isolation. There is more about latex vs memory foam in post #2 here.

While the only way to know whether any specific mattress would be “motion isolating enough” for those who are very sensitive … it would be fair to say that while you may know your partner is moving if you are awake … only a few more sensitive people would be affected by the motions of their partner when they are sleeping with a mattress that has latex comfort layers.

Phoenix

I’m considering the Brooklyn Bedding medium mattress. One thing I’m concerned about with latex is the “pushback” that I’ve heard of. I’ve used a 3" latex topper before and I did feel that, I’m worried it would be an issue with this as well. Anyone have experience with that and the Brooklyn Bedding mattresses?

I am so appreciative of your quick response. I feel more confident and less concerned after having read your post. I will give this mattress a try. Thanks again.
All the best

Hi trmiv,

“Pushback” is really a misnomer and is just another term that some people use to describe the “resilience” or “springiness” of a material … sometimes in combination with the pressure they are experiencing in certain parts of the body or with shear forces on the sleeping surface (see post #18 here) and latex in general is the most resilient of all the foam materials (although springs are more resilient than latex and some types of latex are more resilient than others). Resilience is related to the ability of a material to store and return energy and is measured by the percentage of the rebound when a steel ball is dropped on a material rather than its opposite which is hysteresis which is the ability of a material to absorb energy. Lower resilience and higher hysteresis produces less bounce.

Resilience is something that you can only feel with movement because when your body is at rest on a mattress the compression forces of your body pushing down are balanced by the increasing resistive forces of the mattress (regardless of the resilience of the materials in the mattress) and there is no longer any “direction” to the forces which are in equilibrium.

What some people describe as “pushback” can also be related to feeling either unfamiliar or uncomfortable pressure in certain parts of the body where it “feels like” a mattress is pushing back in an area that you may be experiencing more pressure or “resistance” from the material than you are used to because different materials or types of mattresses can distribute your weight across the sleeping surface in different ways.

While resilience also has very little to do with overall “comfort” (which is very subjective and relative to each person’s preferences) or with pressure relief or pressure points (which has much more to do with the point elasticity and ability of a material to contour to a body shape, the firmness of a material, and the thickness of the comfort layers … see post #4 here) … resilience can affect the ease of movement on a mattress because less resilient materials such as memory foam that “store” energy rather than “return” energy can feel more “motion restricting” than more resilient foam materials or components and a lack of resilience or “bounce” can also affect some of the “other” activities that can happen on a mattress for some people as well (see post #2 here).

In other words … the resilience or “springiness” of a material is just one of many preference choices that can affect the more subjective “feel” of a mattress and not a “better/worse” choice. Some people just prefer more resilient materials and some people prefer less resilient materials in their mattress.

There is also more about “pushback” in post #2 here and at the end of post #11 here.

In the end the only way to know whether a mattress will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or whether it will be more or less resilient than you prefer will be based on your own personal experience

Phoenix

Hi Sofilu,

[quote]I am so appreciative of your quick response. I feel more confident and less concerned after having read your post. I will give this mattress a try. Thanks again.
All the best [/quote]

I’m glad the information here could help you … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You are certainly making a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to try it out and sleep on it.

Phoenix

Many (including me) love this feeling of support. I suggest you try one in a local store before you buy.
Good luck,
Jeff

I purchased a medium a couple weeks back and i’ll give you all a bit of background info and then the plus and minuses of my own experience.

about 3 years ago i bought a cheap 9-10 in. memory foam mattress from ebay. It was too firm but i wasnt about to shell out more money so I had about an inch of pure memory foam i had stripped from another mattress topper and put that on there. after about 6 mos i decided that still wasnt going to work so i purchased a 4 inch gel from topper from Dream foam?..the other company associated with Brooklyn Bedding.

what i didnt realize was that i had always had foam toppers in the past that come with more actual regl foam than memory foam, where as the topper from dream foam was high quality pure memory but with no substantial support.

after another year of trying to make that work i broke down and purchased the medium bbbm mattress.

now i have been here reading for over a year, just before i bought the topper.

anyway i got the mattress fine…set it up with no problems, it expanded quicky. no smell that i could detect what so ever. the fit is perfect. this is a queen. it seems to me that its the kings that have more issues with fit.

comfort wise… to me its hard. i have the initial softness that is right under the cover and then there is zero give unless im standing or kneeling on it. I even checked the tag to make sure that i didnt accidently get a firm. the edges of the mattress ( i sit at the end) its still supportive to me…it sags more of course but it still doesnt just give away and i can lay on the very edge and i dont go anywhere.

So i am a back and side sleeper, if i lay on my back and fall asleep i wake up with pain that extends from the bottom of my rib cage to the middle of my back. if i roll on my side my hips dont feel like they sink far enough to even be level with the rest of my body. the sides of my ribs hurt and my hand goes to sleep…(which ever side im sleeping on…that hand)

If this just felt firm and i slept all night and woke up a bit sore in the morning i could handle that. however so far i wake up constantly having to find a new position. By morning im tired, cranky and hurting.

I did try putting my topper on it to no avail as 4in of pure memory foam is just too soft.

i sometimes think they maybe the tolerences of firmness for both memory and latex foams are hit and miss reading all the different reviews. To me the next step up firmness wise would be throwing a sleeping bag on a carpeted floor.
On the other hand im worried about getting a soft mattress because if i dont have good support for my hips then my lower back/hips hurt. In the past i have always slept fairly well on a medium pillow top coil spring mattress.

I’d like to think that this will maybe soften up a bit but, ive also noticed that if someone says the their mattress is to soft…give it some time…it might firm up…or if its too firm…give it some time it might soften, so maybe that is all just wishful thinking.
i will probably give it a bit more time…as i said its been two weeks. im not sure where i would go from here so that is another consideration.
btw i am 48, in decent shape, active, 5 10 and around 185.

good luck to everyone else out there on this same quest.

David

Hi sleeplessinutah,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and experiences … I appreciate it.

As you probably know from your reading here … adding a topper to improve the comfort or pressure relief of a mattress that uses lower quality and less durable materials is often just a partial or temporary fix because if the lower quality materials start to soften or sag prematurely then the topper will just “follow” the soft spots or sagging in the mattress. I would also be very cautious about adding 4" of memory foam to any mattress because for most people in your weight range it would have a significant risk of being too soft to provide suitable support/alignment.

As you probably now from your reading here as well … there are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. More importantly though … different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness as well and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

There are some suggestions in post #2 here and in post #3 here that may be helpful if your mattress is too firm but the first thing I would suggest before making any changes to your sleeping system is to give your mattress more time so that the mattress has a chance to break in a little more and your body has the chance to get used to a sleeping system that is very different from what it’s used to sleeping on.

Foam materials will soften over time and not get firmer so the initial break in and adjustment period over can work to your advantage.

The biggest issues with using other people’s experience on a mattress as a guideline for your own isn’t inconsistencies in the firmness of the foam materials or the mattress “as a whole” but just differences in how different people perceive softness and firmness (see my previous comments). This is why you see so many reviews that are all over the map in terms of how the firmness of a specific mattress is described by different people. In the case of memory foam then the temperature or humidity of the sleeping environment or the layers or fabrics that are on top of the memory foam that affect how much body heat reaches the memory foam can also make a difference in the firmness of the memory foam although this wouldn’t apply to the latex in your mattress since it isn’t temperature sensitive.

There is more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”. As you can see a mattress that has softer comfort layers and provides better pressure relief can also be “more” supportive in terms of providing good alignment as well because it can still have a firmer support core to provide primary support and the softer comfort layers can provide better secondary support under the more recessed parts of your sleeping profile along with better pressure relief.

If none of the suggestions in the posts I linked help and your mattress is still too firm for your specific needs or preferences after a few more weeks then you have some good options available to you. Brooklyn Bedding has a great return/refund policy that makes it easy to test a mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom so there is little risk in trying it. You could either return it and choose a different mattress or exchange it for the softer version.

You could also add a different topper that would be a more suitable choice than your 4" memory foam topper to provide any additional comfort and pressure relief that you may need. If you decide to go in this direction then post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success and also includes a link to a list of some of the better online sources for toppers I’m aware of as well (including Brooklyn Bedding/Dreamfoam).

You certainly made a great quality and durable choice but of course comfort and PPP and how well you sleep on a mattress is the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase so it’s good to see that you had the foresight to choose a mattress where you have some great options available after a purchase just in case your experience doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.

most of the stuff you go over i have read, atleast a couple times along with all the reviews and others personal opinions on things that go into trying to come up with the right mattress.

the topper i bought from dreamfoams as i felt they were the best quality at the time and most of the reviews where quite positive. as far as the topper in itself, if only it held the same level of compliance as when it is cold…in the winter when you first lay on it, it is quite heavenly and then your body heats it up and it turns into a marshmallow of softness.

I think my biggest complaint about the actual feel of the mattress itself, aside from the out right pain, is that the graduation of the top soft layer to the lower dense level seems to happen way to quickly. rather than having a soft initial feel and then having it gradually firm up and become supportive before you actually sink to far into it, it at this point just feels like a solid lump of mass.

im definately with you on the idea behind it getting broken in a bit and softening up. Im also aware of brooklyn beddings return policy which is the only reason i took a chance on this.

anyway thanks again for all the time and effort you have put into this forum and others who have shared their opinons.

David

Well, Its been just about 10 nights with my BB medium king mattress… Unfortunately the fiance and I decided that the mattress isn’t for us. I will say that after a few days the mattress did finally reach full king size. And im sure for someone who has never had memory foam before or is sensitive to motion transfer with their significant other, this is a quality mattress… However we cannot get used to the motion transfer that comes with this style mattress, nor can my body and its injuries seem to get fully comfortable on the bed, causing me to toss and turn which wakes the woman. using our memory foam topper from the old mattress helped, but we are not happy with the idea of remedying a new mattress with a topper. we would like to be comfortable on the mattress for what it is. My experience with the mattress seems to be similar to Sleeplessinutah
We are going to be going back to a memory foam bed. At this point I am interested in the dreamfoam ultimate dreams supreme 12" kingsize. I will be contacting BB shortly to initiate the return. I have absolutely no idea how im getting it out of my basement apartment yet, but ill figure that out lol

Also, Reading through their return policy it suggests using the factory packaging to help ship it back. How would that work since the bed is now 5 times bigger then it is when it arrives. And If you throw that all away, what do you recommend to protect the mattress to ship it back?

Hi billynath1988,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and I’m sorry to hear that your mattress didn’t work out as well as you hoped for.

As you probably know from your reading here not everyone prefers the “feel” of latex (or memory foam or any other type of material or type of mattress for that matter) and it’s great to see that you had the foresight to choose an online mattress that has a great return policy so you could try it without any risk.

You wouldn’t be able to recompress the mattress to put it back in the original packaging even if you wanted to but in their return policy here they do suggest using the original plastic to cover the mattress before returning it to keep the mattress clean and to let them know if you don’t have it any longer so they can let you know what to do to make sure the mattress stays clean when it’s returned.

Phoenix