Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

Hi PhilOster,

Thanks. I remembered seeing the certificate number previously but I couldn’t find it on the facebook page when I looked so I appreciate that you listed it. I’ve added the information to my previous reply as well.

These are “simplified choice” mattresses that don’t profess to be natural or organic and this type of information would just add another layer of complexity to making a choice that is already difficult enough for most people. The “safety” of any type of latex just wouldn’t be an issue for most people that are buying a mattress that contains polyfoam and for those that it is they would probably be looking for a natural or organic mattress in a much higher budget range anyway and the vast majority of their customers probably would have no idea what Oeko-Tex even means.

IMO … “promoting” complex information that can become overwhelming and that has little meaning or relevance to most people isn’t good marketing and generally leads to “information overwhelm” or “paralysis by analysis” and would just lead people down the same rabbit hole you are following. For those where this type of information is more important these types of questions are generally best answered with a phone call to a manufacturer rather than “promoting” them on the site itself. I do agree though that it would be nice if Mountaintop foam added the information on their site rather than their facebook page.

Phoenix

Hi davo32683,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You were certainly looking at some great finalists and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

I get what you’re saying but Brooklyn bedding does promote pretty heavily the Oeko Tex certification for their Talalay latex and Certipur-us certification for their foam. Just not the Dunlop which is made by Mountaintop. Makes me wonder why. If you call them on the phone, they say it is certified but why not include on the website?

Don’t think omitting this info benefits them in any way and that’s what makes me nervous.

Hi PhilOoster,

I’m not sure what I can add to my previous replies except that you may be “overthinking” things a little and making your choice a lot more complicated than it really needs to be :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I’ve been looking for a platform bed and have gotten more confused instead of a bed. I’ve been looking for a bed with slats and every so often I get someone who would say why slats? they would tell me that over time the slats would give and the mattress would ‘seep, my term not theirs’ thru the slats. I decided to contact Mario at BB and he said the mattress can absolutely rest on a solid surface such as what an adjustable bed has. I asked because they recommend the Leggitt and Pratt adjustable beds, not that I want one. Now I have a bit more searching to do. just thought i’d add that

Hi ronfla,

I switched your post to this topic which has a more closely related subject.

If the slats are made from strong wood that doesn’t flex and they are close enough together and there is good center support to the floor then “sagging” or “seeping” wouldn’t be an issue.

You can see my comments about a solid surface platform in post #10 here. While they can add some additional risk in terms of ventilation under the mattress … in most cases if there aren’t any additional risk factors they would be fine. I also have an adjustable bed with a solid surface under my mattress.

Phoenix

After many hours of research I decided to go with BB BME, Mario helped me in chat select the right firmness and gave me details on delivery times. Once I get the mattress and test it out I will be sure to follow up with a review so that my experience can help others just as the reviews on this site have helped me.

Hi cassfitz,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

Like the other members here that have purchased it I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback about how you like it once you’ve received it and have had a chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

We’ve run the gamut of platform bed sites. Then to add to the confusion we research the companies such as Wayfair, All Modern etc which is sometimes the worst thing to do. I’m looking for either slats that have a space no wider than 3 inches apart. I found this site that has steel slats https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/bedroom/beds/calvin-bed
a bit more money but the seem to be well made.

Just wanted to quickly follow up and say, we returned the BB medium king mattress… the return process was quick and painless. in 2 days the truck was there to pick it up and within a week the money was refunded.
We ended up ordering a dreamfoam supreme 12" king mattress and we are now on night 3. My fiance and I both decided this is the exactly what we wanted in a mattress. It doesn’t sleep hot, plenty of support without being too firm and zero motion transfer. For anyone that isn’t to used to a memory foam bed, the brooklyn bedding mattress is a quality buy from a great company… If your leaning towards the memory foam style beds for whatever you reasons maybe, I can honestly say we are very satisfied with the dreamfoam mattress.

Hi billynath1988,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it ":slight_smile:

It’s good to see that your return and refund process went smoothly and now that you know you prefer memory foam more than latex it’s also great to see that your new mattress is working out so well for you.

Phoenix

Why did you ultimately return the mattress?

Hi davo32683,

While I’m not billynath1988 of course and hopefully they will see your post and add any additional comments that they wish to make but you can see their earlier comments in post #142 here.

Phoenix

Has anyone tried the in store Brooklyn Bedding Wall Street Mattress vs the online Best Mattress ever? We like the Wall Street it is more expensive because it is a hybrid with coils. If I can save money with the BME because it has a similar feel and firmness I would love to do that.

I know you can try this mattress in Phoenix by appointment only. It is very far away from where we live though and weekdays only which is difficult.

Thanks

Hi ckole,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own with a more descriptive title so your question won’t get buried in another topic that is only about the BestMattressEver.

I’m not familiar with the specifics of the Wall Street mattress but I’m guessing it is one of the mattresses that are sold at R&S mattress.

The support core of a mattress isn’t generally the weakest link of the mattress in terms of durability so the choice between an innerspring (or pocket coil) vs a polyfoam support core (assuming that the polyfoam is a good quality/density material that meets the quality/durability guidelines here which it does in the case of the BestMattressEver) would also be a preference and/or a budget choice rather than a “better/worse” choice.

Polyfoam is less resilient and responsive and somewhat “stiffer” and less “springy” or “bouncy” than an innerspring but it can also make a very good support system for those that are also a little more restricted in terms of their budget or for those that prefer how it feels over other types of support materials or components. Most of the “feel” of a mattress when you first lie on it comes from the upper layers but the type and firmness level of deeper support layers will also contribute to how a mattress feels as well especially when you move or “bounce” on the mattress and the mattress is compressed more deeply. They can also have a more significant effect on how well you sleep over the course of the night and how you feel when you wake up in the morning. There is more about the different types of innersprings (which includes pocket coils) in this article and in post #10 here.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge, service, and guidance of a particular business can certainly be helpful … I would generally avoid using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress, how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you, or how two different mattresses may compare and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

There are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness as well and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

There is more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP in post #2 here that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for once you actually sleep on your mattress but when you can’t test a mattress in person (or if you can and you are still uncertain) then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept well on and liked that they are familiar with, any special considerations you may have, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about helping you to “match” their specific mattress designs or firmness options to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else so that in combination with your own personal testing you can make the “best possible” choice with the highest chance of success.

Phoenix

Yes, it is one by R&S. For us it was a very comfortable bed. Price point is between $400-$500 more than the Best Mattress ever. I am leaning towards trying the BME and if we don’t like we know we like the other one. Since the BME is nearly 50% less that is attractive. You can try the BME mattress at the factory. However, it is by appointment only and only on weekdays until 3pm. That is a bit restrictive for us. Thanks for the feedback and I will certainly add a review for either bed we choose.

Hi ckole,

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding once you pull the trigger.

You certainly have some good quality/value options.

Phoenix

Can anyone comment as to whether the BME stays cool? I know their claim on the site says it doesn’t heat up but I’m interested to hear if anyone has a firsthand account.

Hi savesthedave,

Hopefully some of the members that have purchased it will see your post and share their feedback but I would also keep in mind that it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved outside of just the foam in the comfort layers including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials. In other words some people can sleep hot on a mattress that most people would be fine with.

Having said that … latex in general is the most breathable and “temperature neutral” of all the different types of foam materials (latex foam, polyfoam, and memory foam ) so it would be unusual that someone would sleep hot on a mattress that used latex comfort layers.

There is also more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types and combinations of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

While “in theory” most people wouldn’t have any temperature regulation issues on the BestMattressEver … the only reliable way to know for certain whether you would have any temperature issues with any mattress would be based on your own personal experience and with a mattress that has a great return/refund policy there is little risk in finding out whether “theory” that would apply to most people would also apply to your own personal experience.

Phoenix

So after some research, I have decided to take the plunge and go with Brooklyn Bedding as my first foam/latex bed. Called the number on the site and talked to Mario, who answered a lot of questions for me. He helped me put in the order as well as pointed out the discount they are running on the site as well as the one that is on this site. He was very helpful and accommodating. I should receive my mattress by this Friday and hopefully will be back in a couple of weeks to give my first impressions of the mattress. Thanks for all the information in this forum.