Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

Hi 1nightstan,

Thanks for taking the time to share another update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Malphas,

What firmness did you go with (low/med/high)?

Thanks

After much research and consideration we decided to go with a Leesa mattress. I will post up a review in a few weeks. If that doesn’t work we will just have to decided whether to go with the BME or the more traditional Wall Street. Thanks for everything your web site offers.

Hi ckole,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding and I hope you have the chance to share your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

Curious what firmness you purchased. Seems that I have read several comments about medium being soft and edges not being firm. Are soft edges going to be a given? If medium is soft , would firm be medium ?

Hi Mgj48,

These are very subjective questions and the only reliable answer to both of them would be “it depends”.

There are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness as well and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would include Brooklyn Bedding) who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept well on and liked that they are familiar with, any special considerations you may have, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about helping you to “match” their specific mattress designs or firmness options to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else so that in combination with your own personal testing you can make the “best possible” choice with the highest chance of success.

Most foam mattresses don’t have or really need edge support in most cases if the mattress is a suitable firmness level and a good match for the person sleeping on it in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and the support core is firm enough for their body type. There is more about edge support with foam mattresses (including latex) in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix

You are ,of course , correct . I freaked a bit when someone who weighed 125 lbs felt the BME is medium was too soft. We currently sleep on a queen Temperpedic Cloud Supreme which is a hair north of soft. I’m 225 wife 115 so we were thinking medium. Maybe I need to try and find a latex mattress in Corpus Christi before making a choice.

Hi Mgj48,

Memory foam and latex are very different materials with very different properties so it’s always a good idea to try some mattresses locally that use latex in the comfort layers to get a general sense of what latex feels like … even if the mattress itself would probably have a different design and combination of layers which means it would have a different “feel” and/or firmness level. There is also more about how latex and memory foam compare in post #2 here.

There is also some good information here about choosing a firmness level and if you are undecided then of course you can also talk with them directly but for most people the medium would probably have the highest odds of success.

Phoenix

Mario, this is good to hear as I’m in Nevada and you are a quick ppf (private plane flight) away. Your beds are high on my list and it’s nice that at least two or three of the companies that I like are within driving or a quick flight away. :slight_smile:

Mark

Hello mdgail1,

Feel free to come visit our facility, it is very impressive. I would be happy to give you a quick tour and allow you to test our #BestMattressEver. Just be sure to call ahead to schedule an appointment I will leave my contact information below in order for you to schedule.

Mgj48,

Phoenix is correct that it is all relative to each individual, this is also why most online mattresses stores offer a similar comfort policy to ours. The medium level in our mattress IMO has just the right amount of comfort from the plush top along with an extremely well built core foam.

Of course our online sales team would be happy to assist you as well if you have any questions. I am also available directly if you prefer.

Thank you,
Mario
Brooklyn Bedding

Thanks Mario. Will do.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks , I will give you a all.

Just ordered an Eastern King Medium! Mario was very helpful during the whole decision process, as was my girlfriend who convinced me to upgrade from a queen size ;). We’re coming from a mid range ~10 year old Serta innerspring, so I’m quite sure already this will be a great sleeping experience.

She wants a firm surface, and I want medium-ish, but we’re both side sleepers. We’ll see how it goes with the medium.

Great customer support so far, it takes Mario all of 5 minutes to respond via email.

Hi Bran88,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your feedback about how you both like it when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Hello, so my mattress is comfortable as ever. In speaking with Brooklyn bedding I found out they offer a foundation, pillows, and sheets you just have to ask for the links. I spoke with them and they explained that the sheets and pillows are very nice and based on my experience with the mattress I went ahead and order a set of sheets and some pillows. I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with them. Any info is appreciated but I will also share my feedback when those arrive.

Thanks,
Stan

Hi 1nightstan,

I don’t have any personal experience with any of the products you mentioned but hopefully some of the members here that do will see your post and share their comments and feedback.

If the foundation you are referring to is the Simple Life foundation then an exact term site search on “simple life” (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about it and it would certainly make a suitable choice for the BestMattressEver. This topic also has more information about support systems that would be suitable for your mattress as well.

While I can’t make any specific suggestions for anything that you can “feel” because there are too many individual preferences involved and only your own experience can tell you whether any pillow works well for you … there is more information about choosing a pillow in the pillow topic here and the other topics it links to that may be helpful.

There is also more information about sheets and bedding in post #7 here and the other posts and sources of information it links to that should be helpful as well.

Phoenix

Our Leesa arrived on Thursday. It is too early to tell if it is the right mattress for us. Going from a spring mattress to foam is a big difference. For the first two nights we had our old box springs underneath. I know that was not recommended but its all we had. It did not support the mattress well as expected. I added some plywood between the mattress and box spring and that helped some. Now we have a proper foundation and I’m looking forward to testing the difference tonight. So I can at least confirm what Leesa says about proper support. We purchased this from Amazon, Easy Fit Box Spring Foundation by Box Spring King
Link: https://amzn.com/B00471CX3U

It was a bit expensive but seemed to be a better option than the metal ones.

Now back to the Leesa. I look forward to getting used to it over the coming weeks and hope it will be the right fit for us. I can only compare it to is the Tuft and Needle. It is a lot less firm than the T&N. (IMHO) We didn’t like that one. When you first get into the bed it seems a bit odd vs a spring mattress but you get used to it. I have slept fine and it seems like I am not rotating around as much. I’m a side sleeper. So regardless of what foam mattress you choose you should expect an adjustment from a traditional spring mattress. Hopefully I can can piece together a more detailed review at a later date.

Hi ckole,

I switched your post to your original topic and also added “Leesa” to the title so it had better continuity and the title was a better reflection of the mattresses you were considering.

Thanks for taking the time to share your initial comments and feedback about your Leesa mattress and I’m looking forward to any additional comments you have the chance to share once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a little longer.

Phoenix

Hi Everyone,
I just completed ordering my mattress from Brooklyn Bedding. The sales process was super simple, and the price from my perspective can’t be beat. This is for my son’s bed, so now I have a twin Ikea latex, a king Spindle Mattress and a Full BB. I am looking forward to see how BB stacks up against the spindle, as the Ikea doesn’t suit me, though my son seems to love it.
Thanks to Mario for a quick an painless process!

Thanks for the info I spoke to them Saturday and they referred me to look at reviews on amazon, I guess they listed there first so they have accumulated some reviews which were helpful. Also said they will be coming out with some bamboo sheets in the near future. I’m gonna try these but look forward to also order a set of bamboo sheets when they come in. Another question I have is about a guest room bed. I really love my bed and thinking of putting one in a guest room too. Wondering if a medium or firm would be best and would just like your opinion. Most of my guest are average to lighter weight people so I was thinking medium. I asked Mario at brooklyn bedding and he agreed. What are your thought on this?

Thanks,
Stan