Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

I’ve had my #BME for about a week now, and a few first impressions.

The mattress (king sized) is a full 76 x 80 across the widest parts, but the corners are more like 74x78. This isn’t a deal breaker for me, but the mattress does not fully cover the foundation.

My wife loves the mattress, and I also really like the latex (as opposed to memory foam or innerspring). It’s resilient and “springy” but is also soft feeling when one lays down on it.

I have (for much of my life) dealt with my arms falling asleep when I sleep, and it is slightly better on this mattress. However, it is still a problem – but I’m not sure that going from a medium to a soft would fix this issue.

The latex pillows (from DreamFoam) are absolutely amazing, and I’m not having any muscle soreness at all.

All in all, after a week, I’d say that this is an 8.5 / 10 (I’d rate most every other mattress I’ve tried a 6, at best). Except for the slightly smaller size, the mattress looks great and is comfortable. I’ll see if it ends up being too firm for my taste, but I think I’ve found a winner.

Last note – customer service is a 10. No question, best service I’ve seen from almost any company.

We’ve had our King medium for two weeks now. Here is our experience, thus far:

• Yes, make sure you have it on the foundation and positioned well. It expands quickly.
  • As others have commented, it’s not a perfect rectangle. 1 1/4" on one side and 2 1/4" on the other, in each corner at the foot of the bed. Head of bed about the same. If it’s going to bug you, this isn’t your mattress.
  • First few nights, it was really, really firm. Like an old cotton futon, matted and hard.
  • After two weeks, it is quite a bit softer, but still a bit firm for us.
  • Based on my experience in a store trying out other latex/other foam combo beds (e.g., Dunlopillo), I thought it would have more of a bounce and innerspring feeling than it has… it has some, but not as much as others I tried locally (then again, it’s 1/3 the cost than the others (or even less).
  • We’d been on the fence between medium and soft. We’re now debating whether we:
    a. Get a thick mattress cover/pad or a topper. Thinking of starting with the former and working-up. Currently we have just a thin (Sky brand) mattress protector that was rated “cool” on Amazon. We didn’t want to start by masking the factory feel, so we had a true starting point.
    b. Replacing it with a soft. The problem is, we don’t know how much softer soft is. It’s all subjective.
    c. Looking at other options.

To comment further:

• It’s fairly comfortable. We don’t have back pain from the mattress. However, it’s not as soft as we’d like in terms of our wants and perceptions. And, I sometimes wake-up feeling like I’m on a hard surface and have had some arm numbness… I’m a side sleeper.
  • I’ve not slept through the night on it yet. Maybe it’s the mattress, maybe me.
  • Love the (free promo) pillows. For me, they are the right height for side sleeping.
  • We set the old bed up temporarily in my office as a guest bed. It’s an interesting side-benefit of getting a bed online and keeping the old. You can compare new and old, not something I’ve done before. Usually the guys that deliver the new bed, take the old one. I laid on the old one. It’s softer and I like that, but it’s clear it does not support my back as well. The foam does mold to curves better. To be fair, the old one, while a plush, high-end inner spring is 11 years old, I’m 200 lbs. and we’ve not rotated it as much as we should have.

Will keep updating our experience in case it helps others in their process.

Thanks,

AO

Hi RJ29 and AustinOski,

Thanks to both of you for your udpates and feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

@AustinOski,

[quote]- We’d been on the fence between medium and soft. We’re now debating whether we:
a. Get a thick mattress cover/pad or a topper. Thinking of starting with the former and working-up. Currently we have just a thin (Sky brand) mattress protector that was rated “cool” on Amazon. We didn’t want to start by masking the factory feel, so we had a true starting point.[/quote]

Depending on which type it is … I would keep in mind that in some cases a thicker mattress protector or a mattress pad can affect the ability of softer latex comfort layers to contour to the shape of the body so it can actually feel firmer rather than softer. If your mattress is a little too firm then there are also some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful.

If you are considering this then your best source of guidance would be a phone call to Brooklyn Bedding since they will know more about how their firmness levels compare “on average” than anyone else.

You are only 2 weeks into the normal break in and adjustment period so you may also find that over the course of the next few weeks your experience will change as well.

I’m looking forward to any additional comments and updates you have the chance to share over the next few weeks.

Phoenix

We ordered our mattress before I find out that it might be possible to get a free pillow with a mattress purchase. I simply replied back to the email confirmation we received inquiring if it was possible to receive said free pillow. I was pleasantly surprised when I received a prompt response that we were being offered NOT ONE but TWO King Sized Shredded Latex pillows with our order, in return they only asked for an honest review of the mattress!

I was glad to do a re4view for the product with or without any free gifts, the customer service alone already gave me confidence that i would love our new mattress.

It has been about week since we received our Brooklyn Bedding(BB) BestMattressEver Firm California King and here is my take on it thus far in 3 words. “I LOVE IT!!!”

The price was great compared to our previous Tempurpedic. The delivery was astonishingly quick and hassle free. We even noticed that a little post-it note that read “Cal King” was still on the outside of the box. LOL. I guess they truly handled the package with care.

The box the mattress arrived in was much smaller than I expected, heavy but very easy to move around. Where we had our tempurpedic it was huge, bulky and difficult to move and would take 2 people to handle. I moved the BB box all by myself! My husband did have to get it up the stairs by himself though :slight_smile:

The packaging was easy to open, unwrapping the mattress was exciting and amusing and the surprise was seeing the mattress for the first time, expanding. It was taller than our previous tempurpedic, it didn’t have a foul odor, it looked wider than our previous tempurpedic, and there was this playful “bounce” when i laid down.

We were glad the mattress arrived several days sooner than expected. Our backs were in pain, we dint have sleep for over 3 hours at a time. First night on the BB mattress we slept a full 6 hours.

Every night we’d notice something we’d love about the mattress. It is firm with GREAT support but soft that it didn’t feel like sleeping on the floor. There is little to no motion transfer. I LOVE the bounce the mattress has. Best of all we are getting up in the morning feeling well rested and pain free! My husband and I even noticed that wed wake up half an hour earlier than our alarm but feel well rested ready to start the day.

I am thankful for this site for guiding us to our new mattress and I hope that everyone else out there that is still searching would try a Brooklyn Beading BestMattressEver. I think if they tried it, they would love it as much as my husband and i do!

Hi Xenosleep,

While I’m not a big fan of “incentivised” reviews … I do understand that they were making an exception.

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback about your new mattress … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s great to hear that your choice worked out so well for you.

Phoenix

Hopefully I’m not getting too far off topic, but as I have the #BME this seems the right place to post.

On top of the mattress, I’m currently using a Malouf SleepTite Mattress Protector - it’s cotton topped with a poly membrane to keep liquids away from the mattress. However, it seems like the protector makes the mattress firmer, and it also sleeps warm. So back to square one.

As I’m potentially worried that the mattress might be slightly too firm (when I side sleep I often get numb arms), I’m considering mattress pads/ protectors as an option instead of going right to an exchange.

Does anyone have thoughts on a waterproof mattress pad? This one on Amazon seems like a good possibility: ExceptionalSheets

I’d be willing to consider wool, as waterproof isn’t a necessity (although it would be nice). I’m more concerned with keeping the mattress softer, not firmer. I’ve read through this post Post #89 and the these seem like they might be too thin for my needs.

Something that will help absorb water and soften a little bit would be the key – thanks!

See Phoenix’s reply to my previous post, in which he says a thicker pad may not help the mattress/bed feel softer.

We’re using the Sky cover from Amazon. We bought it as a thin, temporary (or maybe not) protector during our trial period It’s thin, so it does not change the feel of the mattress and it does not seem to make it hot. We’re pretty sensitive to products that make us warm in our sleep. This does not.

Seems like we have similar issues with the mattress. How long have you had yours? Ours is a medium, we wish it was softer. That said, it’s been two weeks and consistently seems to be getting softer, so we’re going to wait a bit longer before we jump to conclusions.

My thought right now is that if we need to go softer, we’ll exchange for the BME soft, rather than pay for and mess with toppers and/or pads that may or may not work, cost more and take time out of our busy lives. I can see that becoming an experimentation process and that’s not a road I’d prefer to travel.

Hi RJ29,

I switched your post to a new topic since the original topic was starting to wander into a different topic. I also added a link to my reply to AustinOski’s previous post in the other topic.

While most people would be fine with this type of thinner membrane protector both in terms of it’s effect on the feel of the mattress and in terms of sleeping temperature … there are certainly a few people that like you have commented that they affect the feel of the mattress (especially if they are creating a “drum” effect on the mattress) and the membrane can also contribute to some people sleeping warmer as well.

You can read a little more about fiberbeds or down alternative mattress pads (which use polyester fibers) in post #2 here and post #10 here.

While it can provide some additional surface softness and localized pressure point relief … it can also interfere with the ability of the latex layers underneath it to contour to your body so it can feel softer and firmer at the same time.

It also has a membrane so the mattress pad can double up as a waterproof protector but similar to your mattress protector some people may also notice that the membrane can lead to it sleeping a little warmer as well.

The only way to know for certain how it will feel for you or how you will sleep on it in combination with your mattress will be based on your personal experience but it’s fulfilled by Amazon so if it doesn’t work well for you then you can return it.

The wool quilted mattress protectors in general are a little thicker than the membrane types of protectors so they can affect the “feel” of a mattress a little more. If you are looking for additional softness and pressure relief and the mattress pad that you linked isn’t “enough” then a topper may be a more effective choice.

While it’s not possible to make specific suggestions because of all the many variables involved that are unique to each person and your own experience is the only way to know for certain whether any mattress/topper combination will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP … if you do decide to try a topper instead of the softer version of the BME then there is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to that can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. It also includes a link to a list of some of the better online sources for toppers I’m aware of as well.

Phoenix

Hi,

Just ordered my mattress from Brooklyn bedding… Yay, excited! They said it should be here in 3-4 days. Thanks everyone on the forum for the reviews it really helped me to decide what to order. With all the online mattress stores it really gets confusing. If you do have questions regarding the comfort of the mattress which was the hardest part of this whole online thing be sure to talk to someone at bb they are very helpful with providing info. All in all pretty happy with the online experience so far. Based on other happy customers I am sure my experience with the mattress will be just as good. I cannot express how much I am looking forward to getting better sleep. Thanks again everyone!!

Hi lisaloveharte,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

You are certainly making a great quality/value choice and I hope that you also have the chance to share your comments and feedback once you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Ok, after long deliberation and the helpful advice of Phoenix this weekend, I decided the last step in our decision process was to call the bedding company directly and get their recommendations based on our needs. I was interested in both a Dreamfoam Mattress and the BME, since they are sister companies I called Brooklyn Bedding and they were extremely helpful for me in discerning which would be the best choice for us. I spoke with Mario, whom I believe others have also spoken to and he was really helpful…after talking to him about our needs I actually decided the BME soft was the best choice when I had originally thought we would go with the Medium. Excited to receive our new bed in a few days. Will report back after trial period. Thanks for your help Phoenix!

Has it really been a month already? Time flies when you’re sleeping well.

I don’t know about the Best Mattress Ever, but I do know it’s the best mattress I’ve ever owned or slept on. From the first night to 30 days of sleeping on it later I have zero complaints about the quality, comfort or support level of the medium King my wife and I purchased.

I ordered it direct from the factory the Friday before Labor Day after 4:oopm. It arrived the following Wednesday. So basically really, really, really, fast. That alone was a nice perk.

Some initial impressions where, holy crap this box is small. Holy crap, this box is heavy. Holy crap, am I an idiot for ordering a mattress online?

Since the mattress came earlier than I anticipated I hadn’t put the bed platform I built together yet. Or taken the queen size we where currently sleeping on apart yet. So I did both those as fast as I could. It was a race against time. The time being 5:30. The time my wife gets home. I thought it would be rad to have the bed in place with sheets on by then. It was 4:07 when I began the race against the clock.

By 5:05 the old bed and platform where removed to the spare bedroom and the new foundation was in place. I flipped the box end over end from the front door to the bedroom, Got the box open and managed to wrestle the shrink wrapped mattress onto the new platform. Then came the cool part. Cutting it open and watching it grow. Within a few minutes it actually looked like a king size bed. I few minutes later the sheets where on(which I’d eventually get asked if I’d washed first. You have to wash new sheets?. Who knew. lol). 5:24. I had done it.

By 5:30 the bed had actually almost fully expanded to the correct king size dimensions. I’m never one to listen to directions(ask my wife) so I laid down. Not bad. Not bad at all. The wife came home and was pleasantly surprised by the new bed. She got in it and just smiled. A full contented smile. That’s always a good sign. We both tossed and turned and tried to see how much motion transfer there was. There wasn’t much. Not zero, but not much. We sat on the edges and they held up just fine. So we left the bed to fully inflate itself.

A few hours later(after I washed the sheets) we had the should we sleep on it discussion. Even though it was only 5 hours since set up there was no way I wasn’t sleeping on that bed. So we did. The next morning I woke up a little more refreshed than normal. The day after that and the day after that where pretty much the same. Just all around a better sleep than I had on our old inner spring mattress. It hasn’t cured my aches and pains but they have lessened a bit.

In the 27 days since the day after that, I’ve slept just as good if not better than those first few nights. I haven’t really noticed any break in if the mattress. It’s slightly softer but not by much. Being worried that the medium would be to soft for my wife I’m happy to report that she finds it perfect. For the record I’m 145lbs and she ways less than me, so where not large people. YMMV with the firmness levels.

So, apparently, I’m not an idiot for ordering a mattress online. Part of the reason is this site and this very thread. With out the knowledge presented here I would have been much more hesitant to purchase from a factory. Not saying I wouldn’t have done it but instead of being 90% sure I would have been 50% at best. The other part of the reason is truly trusting Brooklyn Beddings customer service. I never once felt like I was being fed a sales pitch. The had all the right answers and no hesitation when questioned.

So thank you Phoenix and Mario. Also thanks to all the people who posted here to help with aiding my decision, If anyone has any questions I would be happy to help answer them. I will check the thread from time to time.

Hi bhaskinNE,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you also made a great quality/value choice and I hope you also have the chance to share your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

Hi theesotericone,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback in such great detail … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s also great to hear that your choice worked out so well for both of you and now that you are past the initial break in and adjustment period you can expect to be sleeping well for many years to come.

Phoenix

PS: I like your “style” of writing and it certainly put a smile on my face :slight_smile:

Been lurking for a while and found this to be a great resource in my quest to buy a new mattress. Our current mattress is wearing out quickly (pillowtop spring). We decided to go with Brooklyn Bedding and placed an order today. Chatted with Mario and he helped steer us toward the medium firmness. We were sold on the trial period and return policy, it really is a no-lose situation. Website and ordering was flawless and easy to navigate. We ordered 2 twin xl for a split king setup. I will post a review when we receive the mattresses. Very excited about this purchase.

I just ordered this mattress. I was going to order on Wayfair but after speaking with Mario, I ordered straight from Brooklyn Bedding to ensure the best quality product and best return/warranty. They also offer a free pillow if you share on FB! I had a great online experience with Mario as well. I will report back when I get the mattress in and try it out! :silly:

I can’t click through to the right post to find the “Sky” topper - is it with a membrane or just a thicker topper? I’m not using anything besides a thin poly/cotton Malouf Sleep-Tite, which changes the feel a little, but it’s not unbearable by any means.

I’m also at almost exactly 2 weeks on the mattress, and although it does seem to be a little softer, it’s only slight gradations. I find sleeping on my back fine, but anything else provokes numbness in my arms (might just be me, although I’ve had mattresses that didn’t have the same problem).

I agree that swapping for the soft might be the best idea, instead of worrying about the rabbit hole of toppers, etc. I like everything about the mattress, and my wife likes it, so if the soft would provide enough support for my spinal alignment (I’m going to speak with Mario) it might be the ticket. Still, to be seen.

Hi RJ29,

I believe that the Sky mattress protector that they purchased is here (and AustinOski can correct me if I’m wrong). It’s waterproof so it would have a membrane and both of them have a cotton terry fabric so it would be very similar to your Malouf.

Phoenix

We have been looking for a new mattress for our Queen bed. We tried out the Tempurpedic Luxe but weren’t sure if we wanted to pay $3000 for it. We are going with the BB Best Mattress Ever. After reading all the reviews and experiences in this post, I can say that I am much more comfortable buying a mattress online.

The BB website is awesome. The only other website that is simpler to use is Google. Their check-out process is very simple and I was able to get all the info I need talking to Mario over the phone and Chuck on chat. He provided me with the hidden link to the foundation.

Can’t wait for the mattress to arrive. I hope it lives up to our expectations like it did for most people.

Hi kartikgaddam,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice although of course a latex/polyfoam hybrid mattress such as the BestMattressEver will be very different from a mattress that has memory foam comfort layers such as the Tempurpedic Luxe that you tried.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix