Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

Hi kartikgaddam,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice although of course a latex/polyfoam hybrid mattress such as the BestMattressEver will be very different from a mattress that has memory foam comfort layers such as the Tempurpedic Luxe that you tried.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

A former co-worker was telling me (on the phone) how much pain she had in her back and her husband complained of shoulder pain each morning. I said, “It’s probably your Mattress.”
I recommended the BB BME to her (Expecting her to chat with Mario); instead, she asked which firmness level I thought she should buy. I asked her how she sleeps and upon hearing she and her husband are side sleepers I said probably soft but Mario can guide you better than me. She said, “done.” I asked what is done; to which she replied that it was ordered.
She ordered the California King (Her mistake as she has a regular King) but loves it so much she refuses to check on swapping for the correct size…
This struck me as amazing so I decided to share her story.
Two points to this story:

1. BB has a great product at a great price that will improve your quality of life
  2. Talk to the people who sell the mattress (Mario or whoever answers) before buying.

Ordered my new BB mattress! Can’t wait for it to arrive, definitely talk to CS on the phone they are great at helping to guide you to the right comfort level. Said they are also working on an automated system to help you when they are not available. But in any case they are great about answering emails. CS so far is great, now just to wait the next couple days till I get the mattress. I will update soon.

Lindy,

Hi lindy,

Like the other members here who have purchased it you certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out as well.

Phoenix

I used this forum to help me narrow down the bewildering crowd of mattress sellers. I initially narrowed the choice down to three:

Tuft and Needle
Brooklyn Bedding
Kiss Mattress

I sent an email to each asking a simple question about their product. This was a test of the support response. I received quick replies from the first two on the list, but never heard anything back from Kiss. So I crossed them off of my list. What finally tipped my decision to BB instead of TN was the offer of two free latex pillows. This offer was confirmed by email from Mario.

I received the mattress (Medium) but didn’t get the pillows. I emailed BB about this yesterday but haven’t heard back yet.

As far as the mattress, my first impressions are that it is a quality item but maybe not quite firm enough for me. Also I note that there is little edge support. Maybe coming from a inner-spring mattress to this genre will take some accommodation on my part. I am willing to give it a week or so before I make any final determinations about the suitability of this mattress for me.

I will report back when the pillows arrive, and I have had further time to experience this mattress in action.

Thank you for all you do on this site. It is most informative.

PS: In case anyone from BB is reading, my real identity is Stephen C. from High Point, NC. My nickname is “Blennos.”

Hi blennos,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding and for your initial comments and feedback … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you probably know from your reading here there will be a break in and adjustment period with any new mattress that can make a noticeable difference in how a mattress feels and I would probably wait a minimum of a couple of weeks (preferably longer) to give the mattress a chance to break in a little and for your body to adjust to a sleeping surface that is quite different from what it’s used to (see post #3 here.

As you also mentioned … most foam mattresses, unlike many innerspring mattresses, generally don’t have (or in most cases really need) edge support but this is also something that can take some getting used to if your previous mattress had edge support (see post #33 here).

I’m looking forward to any additional comments you have the chance to share over the course of the next few weeks.

Phoenix

Last night I woke up about 2:30am, as usual, to go to the bathroom. When I returned to bed, I mounted the bed, as usual, but was dumped unceremoniously onto the floor. This shock led to a sleepless night. What happened?

I have since analyzed what was before an unconscious routine. How do I get into bed? What I do is to approach the bed, sit on the very edge, swing my torso onto the pillow and then follow with my legs onto the mattress. This is how it has always been done by me. But not last night. In my semi-conscious state, half asleep, I forgot that my new mattress has no edge support. So when I placed my bottom into its accustomed spot, there was virtually nothing there to hold it up. So down I went.

When I did get back into bed successfully, I then kept thinking that I would roll too close to the edge and fall off. This made for a rather sleepless night.

This is not the fault of the mattress. This is due to a lifetime of ingrained habits which, in the dead of night, one reverts to without thinking about. You simply do not mount a foam mattress the same way that you mount an inner-spring mattress. At least, I don’t. I know this now.

When I ordered the mattress, I was oblivious to this painfully acquired knowledge. I didn’t know anything about mattress edge support. I’ve never even thought about it. Will I be able to overturn a lifetime of bed-mounting habits in a few weeks? I doubt it. I will probably need to go back to the old-style innerspring set-up that I have used for so long. I will definitely need to find a place locally to try out the mattress before buying another one.

I feel badly about this possible outcome for Brooklyn Bedding. They have produced a high-quality, very comfortable product – just one that I may not be able to adjust to. But I also understand that this is part of their business model. A certain (very small) percentage of customers will not be able to keep the mattress for varying reasons.

Just wanted to post this update now that I’ve been sleeping on it for several weeks. For me its still great and has helped alot with my lower back problems. Maybe it was so dramatic for me because the old mattress was really that bad. Anyways we are a month in and still so far so good I really like this matress.

Hi blennos,

You may be one of the few that either needs (if your habit is too “ingrained”) or prefers a foam mattress with firmer edge support which as you mentioned is much less common than with innerspring mattresses (although there are a few).

Thanks for sharing your somewhat unfortunate story and I hope that you are able to “adapt” to your mattress during the course of the trial period.

Phoenix

Hi ROSCOpCOLTRANE,

Thanks for the update … and it’s great to hear that your mattress is working out so well for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Longtime lurker here on the Underground. Finally, ordered the Brooklyn Bedding BME, full size and medium firm to replace my older and very hard futon in our second bedroom today. After reading all the posts here and a brief internet conversation with Mario, I believe this is the best choice out there.
I am very sensitive to off-gassing from all furniture and I have lower back pain. I wanted something that would be comfortable for me and for my guests. Their return policy is excellent as well.
I was very happy to find this site after purchasing a very noxious mattress from another company. I can’t wait to get my BME!

It may be the best choice out there for you, but not the best choice out there. :slight_smile:

Hi sleepinseattle,

As you probably know from your “lurking” on the forum I think you made a great quality/value choice and I hope you have the chance to let us know how you like it once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Hello all, just wanted to update. I have been on my mattress now for a few nights and I love love love this mattress. I was very impressed with how the mattress was packaged as well. If you are a lighter side sleeper you will really like the soft level, in my own opinion of the mattress it is very soft and cushioned and feels better than the $3k S&F I use to own. I was very pleased with the service and entire process down to the first few nights. Everything everyone has said has been great and I am just happy to continue reporting on this mattress.

ordered my brooklyn bedding best mattress ever yesterday… great experience so far with Mario. looking forward to getting the bed!

After a bit of research and a live chat with Mario, I just ordered our new BB King mattress. The shopping experience on the site was easy and Mario was very helpful in answering our questions. We are looking forward to this new mattress and are optimistic it will fit our needs well. And thanks to this site for the discount code…it’s always nice to get a little more off what is already an attractive cost.

Hi lisaloveharte,

Thanks for taking the time to share your initial comments and feedback … I appreciate it :).

It’s good to see that your mattress is working out so well for you.

@thrushman and @Jim_in_PA,

Congratulations to both of you on your new mattresses as well :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to any comments or feedback you have the chance to share once you’ve received them and had the chance to try them out.

Phoenix

It’s been a month on the #BME and it is certainly a well built and comfortable mattress. I like sleeping on latex, and the edge support is more than enough for me.

However, I am realizing that the medium firmness is probably too firm for me. While my wife and I both like to sleep side/ back, and we’re rather normal sized 135 and 160 lb people, we both find the mattress not as plush as we would like and does not alleviate all of our aches (although maybe no mattress will do that).

So, I’m left with the following options

1. Add a topper for some extra plushness
  2. Exchange for the soft firmness level

The only reason I’m hesitant to go with the exchange is that if the soft is not as comfortable as the medium or it causes other problems, then I think I’m stuck with it for good (I read there is a one time exchange policy). Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Also, if the soft is too soft, is it possible to “firm up” the mattress with some sort of pad/ topper (assuming I get to a scenario where it’s necessary).

The support foam is the same on both the medium and the soft (if I’m correct) and the only difference is the ILD of the latex – so I hope it’s only a matter of preference and not a big difference in the physical support structure of the mattress.

Thanks!

To take advantage of the 120 Night Trial, you must try the mattress for at least 30 days. This trial starts the date you receive the mattress and can only be used once.

That is correct.

So, you take a chance on another BME and if it doesn’t work, you spend more money on a fix.
I call it, chasing comfort with more money. $$$

Hi RJ29,

As PapaMike mentioned … you can either exchange or return the mattress once only.

Yes … the support core in both firmness options is the same and it’s just the top layers that are softer.

If your mattress is too firm then a topper can be a good option to add some additional softness and pressure relief although there is always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper if you haven’t tested the combination in person because the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice on any specific mattress.

If a mattress/topper combination turns out to be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP then it also has the advantage of being able to replace just the topper without replacing the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down before the upper foam layers in the mattress (the upper layers or a sleeping system tend to soften or break down before the deeper layers) or if your needs or preferences change over time and a topper can also help extend the useful life of the mattress underneath it as well.

The best use for a topper is to provide some additional softness and pressure relief to a mattress that is too firm and it’s much more difficult to firm up a mattress that is too soft because this would normally require identifying which layers in your mattress are too soft and then removing and replacing either comfort layers that are too thick and/or soft or a support core that is too soft.

If you add a firmer topper to a mattress that is too soft then the comfort layers (the firmer topper) may end up being too firm to be comfortable for you to sleep on and the topper will usually still “bend” or compress into the softer layers underneath it so you can end up with comfort layers that are too firm and support or transition layers underneath it (that were meant to be softer comfort layers) that are too soft to provide suitable support under the topper.

If you do decide to add a topper then there is more information about how to choose a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to about firmness and thickness which along with a conversation with a reliable supplier that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. It also includes a link to a list of some of the better online sources for toppers I’m aware of as well and a link to the suppliers that have good exchange/return policies as well.

Phoenix