Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

To take advantage of the 120 Night Trial, you must try the mattress for at least 30 days. This trial starts the date you receive the mattress and can only be used once.

That is correct.

So, you take a chance on another BME and if it doesn’t work, you spend more money on a fix.
I call it, chasing comfort with more money. $$$

Hi RJ29,

As PapaMike mentioned … you can either exchange or return the mattress once only.

Yes … the support core in both firmness options is the same and it’s just the top layers that are softer.

If your mattress is too firm then a topper can be a good option to add some additional softness and pressure relief although there is always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper if you haven’t tested the combination in person because the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice on any specific mattress.

If a mattress/topper combination turns out to be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP then it also has the advantage of being able to replace just the topper without replacing the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down before the upper foam layers in the mattress (the upper layers or a sleeping system tend to soften or break down before the deeper layers) or if your needs or preferences change over time and a topper can also help extend the useful life of the mattress underneath it as well.

The best use for a topper is to provide some additional softness and pressure relief to a mattress that is too firm and it’s much more difficult to firm up a mattress that is too soft because this would normally require identifying which layers in your mattress are too soft and then removing and replacing either comfort layers that are too thick and/or soft or a support core that is too soft.

If you add a firmer topper to a mattress that is too soft then the comfort layers (the firmer topper) may end up being too firm to be comfortable for you to sleep on and the topper will usually still “bend” or compress into the softer layers underneath it so you can end up with comfort layers that are too firm and support or transition layers underneath it (that were meant to be softer comfort layers) that are too soft to provide suitable support under the topper.

If you do decide to add a topper then there is more information about how to choose a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to about firmness and thickness which along with a conversation with a reliable supplier that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. It also includes a link to a list of some of the better online sources for toppers I’m aware of as well and a link to the suppliers that have good exchange/return policies as well.

Phoenix

I’m in the same situation as RJ29, we have the medium and I find it slightly uncomfortable some nights when I sleep on one side and don’t turn over. My wife is fine but she’s somewhat less “demanding” than I am.

I’m looking for a bit more plushness (if that’s a real word) on the top layer and am about to call Mario and request a soft as an exchange. However, like RJ29 I’d hate to get the soft and find out it’s even worse.

Since they donate the old mattress locally I wonder if they would consider holding back on the “return” for 30 days to allow us to sleep on the soft and possibly do some back to back tests, giving the one we are least happy with to the recycler? It wouldn’t cost them any more and would ensure we got the absolute best mattress for our needs.

BTW, we have had the mattress for about 6 weeks and overall we are thrilled with it. I’m just wanting to fine tune it and think after having spent so many years on a 100% latex bed I’m just looking for a plusher top layer while maintaining the solid foundation layer this mattress already has. Overall we are very happy with the mattress and have recommended it to anyone who’s asked. You WILL NOT find a better mattress in this price range.

Hi mjw930,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it.

This may have more to do with not changing position over the course of the night than with the mattress itself because some position changes are an important part of healthy sleeping and if you sleep in the same position all night it can tend to create some “stiffness” but of course it’s also difficult to know for sure whether you are sleeping in the same position all night or whether you are just going to sleep and waking up in the same position with some changes in between.

At your weight I would be cautious about switching for the soft.

It would certainly be worth asking them.

Phoenix

This is an update to our Brooklyn Bedding BME (Best Mattress Ever) purchase - king medium

First, great customer support and experience with Brooklyn Bedding. Would not hesitate to recommend. Since my last comments, we contacted Brooklyn Bedding and have added a 2" gel foam topper (by Dreamfoam) to add softness/plushness. However, though it adds some of that, it’s still too firm underneath. My issue is this - I have wide shoulders, narrow hips and am a side sleeper. So, I need enough give to allow my shoulder to sink in, yet enough support lower-down so that my hips don’t sink too much. I’m 6’, 200lbs.

I still can’t sleep a full night in the bed. I don’t wake-up sore or hurting. Not at all. But, I wake-up with a sensation of pressure on my skin. I think (think, not know) it’s a couple of things. One, my perception of the foam layer being very solid. There is almost no bounce the mattress.I feel like I’m waking-up on my college friends 5 year old (hard) futon. Two, heat. I think there is not as much air circulation as our innerspring (which is still here and on which I can sleep longer). Several possible contributors: foam base, latex (cool, not as cool as innerspring), foal gel topper, mattress protector. The protector got hundreds of “it’s not hot” reviews on Amazon. I would not say it feels hot, but not cool, either.

Next step is to buy a St. Dormier Wool Mattress protector. Thinking a bit of cool might help. But, I’m not expecting it to solve the heat problem, either. I just think we’ll enjoy the St. Dormier mattress protector and can use it with this or any future replacement (in a few weeks or years).

Questions:

1. Will the the soft will be too soft to support my hips and my weight? I love a very soft feel, but need *some" support.
  2. (Maybe un-answerable by anyone but me) Will I just not like the feel even then, because of the lack of bounce due to the foam core?

Here is a quick summary of what I really like that I’ve laid on locallay. I’ll provide more detailed feedback/comments elsewhere. I have a lot to share!

1. Vispring Coronet - Love the softness (give, not plushness). Feels great. $6,500 w/boxspring and no topper? Oy.
  2. Naturepedic Essentials Genesis - Gives me a very similar experience to Vispring. From a few minutes on each, I can’t tell any difference (didn’t lay on them back to back though). This is pocketed coils over continuous coil, wool, cotton and some PLA. Makes some sense that they are similar. Springs, not any thick topper or foam doing the cushioning. $2,300 mattress only. Don’t need their boxspring to make a “system” per the sales person.
  3. Latex USA Nature Cloud USA - All Talalay. 6" core, 2" med middle, 4" soft topper. Plain cotton zip case. No info on ILDs at this time. Would think about trying to replicate for less. It’s $3k.(plus about $250 tax in state purchase).

Thanks in advance for any comments on my questions!

Hi AustinOski,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own with a different title so that your posts about “fine tuning” your mattress don’t get mixed in (and buried) with more general comments about the BME.

[quote]First, great customer support and experience with Brooklyn Bedding. Would not hesitate to recommend. Since my last comments, we contacted Brooklyn Bedding and have added a 2" gel foam topper (by Dreamfoam) to add softness/plushness. However, though it adds some of that, it’s still too firm underneath. My issue is this - I have wide shoulders, narrow hips and am a side sleeper. So, I need enough give to allow my shoulder to sink in, yet enough support lower-down so that my hips don’t sink too much. I’m 6’, 200lbs.

I still can’t sleep a full night in the bed. I don’t wake-up sore or hurting. Not at all. But, I wake-up with a sensation of pressure on my skin. I think (think, not know) it’s a couple of things. One, my perception of the foam layer being very solid. There is almost no bounce the mattress.I feel like I’m waking-up on my college friends 5 year old (hard) futon. Two, heat. I think there is not as much air circulation as our innerspring (which is still here and on which I can sleep longer). Several possible contributors: foam base, latex (cool, not as cool as innerspring), foal gel topper, mattress protector. The protector got hundreds of “it’s not hot” reviews on Amazon. I would not say it feels hot, but not cool, either.

Next step is to buy a St. Dormier Wool Mattress protector. Thinking a bit of cool might help. But, I’m not expecting it to solve the heat problem, either. I just think we’ll enjoy the St. Dormier mattress protector and can use it with this or any future replacement (in a few weeks or years).[/quote]

The “no bounce” would most likely be from the gel memory foam because memory foam has little to no resilience and latex is a much more resilient material.

Memory foam top layers can also feel warmer to many people than latex top layers in a sleeping system and the waterproof semi breathable membrane in your mattress protector can also make a difference for some people in terms of temperature regulation as well. While it’s not always possible to to track down temperature regulation issues for any particular person on a specific mattress because there are so many variables involved (including your room temperature and humidity, your sheets and bedding and bedclothes, your mattress protector or any mattress pads you are using, and where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range) and some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with … there is more about tracking down a potential cause or causes for temperature regulation issues (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful. Again in very general terms … the layers and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow and temperature regulation than layers and components that are further away from your skin.

Since you aren’t experiencing any significant “symptoms” on your mattress … outside of trying the new St Dormier protector you are purchasing … I would tend to give your current configuration a little bit more time (a few weeks) before assessing whether it is “working” for you or how you feel about sleeping on memory foam vs sleeping on a latex comfort layer (see post #3 here).

Unfortunately there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict this. The support layer is the same with the medium and the soft but the only way to know whether any mattress (or mattress topper combination) will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP will be based on your own personal experience. Based on “averages” … Like Brooklyn Bedding I would have guessed that adding a 2" softer topper would probably have been “enough” based on “averages” but each person can be unique and there are certainly some people that are outside the “averages” in terms of their own unique needs and preferences…

The choice between memory foam and latex is a preference issue more than a “better/worse” issue. There is more about how they compare in general terms in post #2 here but the most reliable way to know which one you tend to prefer will be based on your own personal experience and different people can have very different preferences.

[quote]Here is a quick summary of what I really like that I’ve laid on locallay. I’ll provide more detailed feedback/comments elsewhere. I have a lot to share!

1. Vispring Coronet - Love the softness (give, not plushness). Feels great. $6,500 w/boxspring and no topper? Oy.
  2. Naturepedic Essentials Genesis - Gives me a very similar experience to Vispring. From a few minutes on each, I can’t tell any difference (didn’t lay on them back to back though). This is pocketed coils over continuous coil, wool, cotton and some PLA. Makes some sense that they are similar. Springs, not any thick topper or foam doing the cushioning. $2,300 mattress only. Don’t need their boxspring to make a “system” per the sales person.
  3. Latex USA Nature Cloud USA - All Talalay. 6" core, 2" med middle, 4" soft topper. Plain cotton zip case. No info on ILDs at this time. Would think about trying to replicate for less. It’s $3k.(plus about $250 tax in state purchase).[/quote]

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one in post #9 here.

While all of these mattresses use good quality and durable materials so they would make a suitable choice in terms of durability … they are also very different from each other in terms of their design and the materials and components they use so it really isn’t possible to use one as a “reference” to predict whether another mattress that has a completely different design and/or is in a completely different category will be a suitable choice for you in terms of PPP based on the type or specifications of the materials and components in the mattress.

When you are considering or testing mattresses that are very different from each other the only reliable way to know how they compare for you (regardless of whether anyone else would have the same perceptions or opinions) would be based on your own personal experience.

Phoenix

I think you might want to try out the soft level. I also like a very soft feel but with support and this mattress has been absolutely great for me. Full disclosure–I like a soft top layer so much that I added an extra thick down filled mattress pad and a left over 1" foam topper on top of the BME soft queen mattress I bought.

I’m in heaven; it’s truly a perfectly comfortable bed and I sleep so much better with this configuration. Not able to give any feedback on sleeping hot as that’s a personal consideration, but I haven’t had any problems and I’m a vibrant middle aged woman so heat and night sweats are not unfamiliar to me. Haven’t had any at all with this mattress. Try the soft, it’s not soft like a marshmallow, rather it’s soft with good support underneath.

Hello again everyone! Seriously this has been by far the best mattress I have ever owned it is soooo comfortable. Perfect combination of softness and firmness. Also got to sign up for the referral program that they offer. It is pretty cool too they just told me to share it with some family and friends if they use my link I get a credit. I already had a couple work friends order. At this rate I may make my money back that I spent on this mattress wouldn’t that just be an added bonus haha! Seriously anyone who is considering this mattress but is on the fence take the plunge it is awesome!! Even if you don’t feel like I feel about mine they have a great return policy too but trust me you shouldn’t need to use it.

Thanks for taking the time to read my rant. Wish you all a better night sleep. Thanks again to the person who put together such an educational website here.

Hi lisaloveharte,

As you probably know from your reading here a mattress that is “perfect” for one person may not be nearly as suitable for someone else to sleep on and I would never purchase a mattress based on “trusting” someone else’s recommendations or reviews that may have different needs and preferences … I certainly appreciate you taking the time to share another update and it’s great to see that your mattress choice worked out so well for you :).

Phoenix

Just got out of a chat conversation with Mario. He replied quickly. I first was looking for a mattress on Amazon and the reviews for the Best Ever Mattress caught my attention. After that I read through more reviews from other sites and finally went to the manufacturer site to order one. Will come back to share my experience with the mattress.

Hi Bphan216,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback about how you like it once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a while.

Phoenix

We love our Leesa mattress and are not going to return it. It took a while to get used to being on a foam mattress vs inner spring but now we love it. I find sleeping on my back much easier as well. So to each his own but for us the Leesa has worked great.

Hi ckole,

Thanks for the update … and it’s good to hear that you are happy with the choice you made and that it worked out well for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Just got my Best mattress ever from Brooklyn bedding. Anyone know how I can get some pillows I heard they were awesome!
Thx.

Hi tony63,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile: You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

This page should help.

Phoenix

I bought a king size Brooklyn Bedding total latex in August 2013. It has become so uncomfortable that I am now looking for a replacement. Both my wife and I have very large divots where we sleep. They are large enough to actually see.

Is there any indication that the BME is of better quality than their previous offerings?

Hi ornerdrew,

I switched your post to a new topic of it’s own since it was about a different mattress from the topic you originally posted in.

Latex in general is the most durable of all the foam materials and generally holds up very well for a very long period of time but there are several possibilities that can account for your experience that are listed in post #4 here.

Assuming that you have ruled out any of the other possibilities it’s certainly possible that one of the layers in your mattress is defective in which case I would call Brooklyn Bedding so they can provide you with some suggestions or initiate a warranty claim.

Your mattress is also a component mattress which allows you to just change the top layer of the mattress (which is the layer that is most likely to soften or break down) without needing to replace the whole mattress and even if your own needs and preferences have changed or if you chose a firmness level that was “on the edge” of being too soft when it was new so that even a small amount of foam softening put you outside the comfort and support range that is suitable for you (see post #2 here) then you can also change the firmness of the mattress just by replacing the top layer.

The Total Latex Mattress uses high quality and durable materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would normally compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress (although I do understand that it would be easy to believe otherwise given your experience).

There is more information about the BestMattressEver along with some of the other simplified choice mattresses in post #2 here in the simplified choice topic. It also uses high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that would compromise the durability or useful life of this mattress either. A forum search on BestMattressEver or an exact phrase site search on Best Mattress Ever (you can just click the links) will also bring up hundreds of forum posts and comments that mention it as well.

My first and “best” suggestion would be to talk with Brooklyn Bedding about your experience so they can make some suggestions that can help you resolve the issues you are having with your mattress.

Phoenix

Stumbled upon this thread and some on YouTube on the BB mattress, I’m highly considering over an IKEA latex I’ve tried in store and found to be very good for my body type.

Just wondering how can buy this mattress in Toronto?

Amazon.ca has the mattress being sold and shipped by Dreamfoam Bedding but it’s located in the US and I’m not willing to deal with brokerage fees and customs if there are any.

I have been reading reviews on BB and am in the process of ordering my King-sized bed now!! I went online and Mario picked up the chat almost immediately and has been EXTREMELY helpful and even offered a free latex pillow with my purchase. I am SUPER pumped about my new mattress and VERY impressed with the customer service I’ve received so far!!

Hi Nemix,

Brooklyn Bedding ships their mattress to Canada for an additional shipping charge (see their Q&A page here under “Do you ship to Canada?”) which includes all the costs involved to deliver the mattress right to your door.

Phoenix