Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

Hi mingdizzle,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

howdy, would you mind letting us know how you like the mattress? i’m thinking of buying one myself after reading this site!
thank you!

Hello everybody,

I'm very Intrested in trying this mattress also I would love to hear some feedback if at possible.

Thanks, V

Hi All,
I just had my second night on a Queen-Medium BB. I find the Medium to be a bit soft but I can sleep on a pretty firm mattress very comfortably.

The problem we’re having is (we is my wife) is the mattress seems to sleep a bit warm/hot. I have to admit that even I felt it and I usually fall asleep in under 15 seconds. My wife had a really rough time falling asleep last night. With some more research I see that some people experience the bed being warm/hot with Latex.

Phoenix,Others - will we feel this way for all Latex mattresses? Is there something we can do to ameliorate this feeling of the bed retaining heat? At this point, I think we’ll be sending it back because of the heat issue. Otherwise I have it to be fairly comfortable and supportive.

Thanks,
David

I’m sleeping on their latex mattresses I purchased last year. I was initially sleeping hot because I was using a mattress protector but I think in general it sleeps cool compared to memory foam but not as cool as some inner spring mattresses. After removing my mattress protector it sleeps much better and doesn’t bother me… I wish I could fall asleep in 15 seconds, thats crazy! Takes me like 5 minutes+!

Hi dsteltz,

In general terms latex is the most breathable and most temperature neutral of all the foam materials and even for those that are closer to the oven end of the “oven to iceberg” range it would be uncommon that most people would have temperature regulation issues sleeping on latex … especially if the mattress has a quilted cover that uses a material that has good airflow in the quilting.

Having said that … there are other reasons besides just the type of foam in the mattress that can reduce airflow and/or cause temperature regulation issues for some people including (as vici0usx mentioned) the type of mattress protector you are using along with the type of sheets and bedding (and of course the bedroom temperature and humidity as well and other “non mattress” factors including the person themselves and their routine before they go to bed either on most days or on a particular day).

There is more about the variables that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here that can help you track down the most likely reasons for any temperature regulations you are experiencing.

Phoenix

[quote=“dsteltz” post=53507]
The problem we’re having is (we is my wife) is the mattress seems to sleep a bit warm/hot.[/quote]

The only time I’ve had clients complain about heat with a latex mattress has been a result of the mattress protector that they were using. This was remedied by switching to a protector that uses a thinner polyurethane film, going away from one that uses a PVC/plastic/vinyl membrane, or switching to something different that is thin and uses more breathable components. Granted, everyone is different in their heat sensitivities, but as a rule latex sleeps quite comfortable regarding temperature.

Additionally, if you’re going to a new mattress that is softer than your old mattress, you may be sinking in a bit more than before and less of your body’s surface is exposed for heat dissipation. You may want to look into changing your top cover situation because of this.

Thank you all for the information, this site has been so helpful. Still debating between this model and a few others but this one seems to be the front runner due to the policy they offer and it sounds like the have the best material in their mattress also. I will let you know what I decide.

Thank you,
V.

Hi vickie123,

I agree that you are certainly looking at a very good quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Just wanted to give an update, I have been on my BB mattress for just over a week and honestly I cannot remember the last time I have gotten this many consecutive nights of uninterrupted sleep. I even feel like I’m getting such good sleep that I don’t even need as much anymore which is kinda crazy cause befor I feel like I was fighting for sleep. I have the medium, I hope this is helpful information to the many people looking for what I can say I now have. Hurray!!!

Cheers
J.W.

Hi oldsmobile72,

Thanks for sharing another update … and it’s great to hear that your mattress turned out so well for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

So far, so good!

Our mattress was shipped out on Thursday, and we received it on Monday – three days, not bad! The FedEx guy got it up the steps to the deck, and we took off the outer box, as it was damaged. Mattress and the inside packaging was fine though. My husband had the task of getting it up the stairs into our bedroom. He did it, but he said it was very heavy… I don’t believe there’s any way I could have gotten it up the stairs. We started taking the outer wrap off – sort of like big Saran wrap – and the mattress was puffing up already. We quickly took off the shrink wrap stuff and the mattress ballooned up fast. We got it on the slats and left it for a while so it could finish filling out. (Said it could take 24 to 48 hours to get full size – more like 15 minutes! But it was a very hot day)

I didn’t notice any smell at all, and it seemed ready to sleep on, so we did. We were previously on an old coil mattress and box springs with an old 3 inch memory foam on top. This bed, medium firmness California King size, definitely feels different. We didn’t sink into it. It felt more like we laid on top and the mattress pushed up into us – if that makes sense. It felt very comfortable – as almost all of them do for five minutes. But the whole night’s sleep was fantastic! I was not hot – and that was my main reason for getting a new mattress. So, Yippy! (I did not have a mattress cover on it though. Don’t know if that makes any difference or not.) Neither of us felt any pressure points.

Whatever they cover the mattress with is so soft. I’d love to have that material as sheets. I got a couple of latex pillows with the bed (the torn-up latex kind), and I LOVE them. My husband did not share my enthusiasm, as he said they were too soft for him. Yay, I get them both! They are cool temperaturewise to sleep on and scrunchable without getting squashed down. Seems like that torn-up latex would make a good topper.

I was concerned that the medium would be too firm for me, as I am a side sleeper and I like a soft, sink-in bed, but, at least after one night’s sleep, I’am happy I got the medium.

Hi Beekeeper,

Thanks for the update and for sharing your comments and feedback about your BestMattressEver. It sure sounds like you made the right firmness choice :slight_smile:

This makes perfect sense because even softer latex is a resilient material and has a more “on the mattress” feel than memory foam which has very little resilience and has a more “in the mattress” feel.

I think that your topic has ended up becoming the “go to” topic about this mattress as well … and thanks for starting it!

Phoenix

Finally did it, I took the plunge and bought the Brooklyn bedding and I am hoping it is the best mattress ever got the medium. Thanks everyone for all the information, I will be sure to post my experience also. I ordered a custom frame so I have to wait for that to come in about another week and a half. The folks at brooklyn bedding said the mattress would be fine staying rolled for a couple weeks so I think I’m all set to go. So excited!!

The again!
V

Hi Vicky123,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback as well once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I like my BB mattress. I don’t know if I’m the best one to review because I don’t think I’m very picky…I can fall asleep on a rock and a sage bush in the desert and get a decent night’s sleep. But I think this mattress is comfy. I am a very hot-blooded person…I throw all the sheets off in the night and keep the heat in the low 50’s in the winter time. I have not noticed that I sleep particularly hot on this mattress. I got the medium, it does feel a little soft. I may just be sinking in more than I’m used to with traditional spring mattresses. Regardless, I wish I could compare it to the firm, as I suspect I may like the firm mattress better.
I have had no back or neck discomfort since sleeping on this mattress for the past couple of weeks. My only real complaint is the edges…I like to sit on the edge of my bed sometimes, and this mattress just collapses under me. I’m only 170 pounds, but I’d like some more edge support.
I hope this isn’t considered inappropriate on this forum, but relevant and very important to me and perhaps some other folks: I was curious how rigorous activities would be on this mattress. It supports us well and gives just enough with vigorous movements, so I guess it works just fine. No issues there, except for when bent over the edge of the bed or kneeling on the edge, as stated above. So the soft edge remains the only complaint I have about the mattress.
All in all I’m happy with it. This is my first non-traditional spring mattress so it’s a little different, and I think I may still prefer traditional spring mattress, but order and delivery and setup was SO easy that it was totally worth it. I ordered on the weekend and the box arrived at my doorstep on a Tuesday. Pretty awesome.

Does anybody know what the free gift is they send in reward for posting a picture of the mattress on social media? I feel kinda weird about posing with my bed on facebook/twitter…

Hi Le Misanthrope,

I didn’t know they were offering a gift and I also don’t know what it is but I’m sure they would let you know with a quick phone call.

Phoenix

Been looking around for quite a while this mattress has gotten some good reviews but I plan on testing one myself, reviews can be very subjective. Heard that members get some type of discount? Is that true if so how do I go about that?

Thanks for the help.

Hi sjramos,

I completely agree with you that reviews can be very subjective and I would also be very cautious about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

Having said that … the Brooklyn Bedding is one of the members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. The BestMattressEver also uses higher quality and more durable materials than most of the other “simplified choice” online mattresses (see post #2 in this topic) and if one of their firmness choice is also a good match for you in terms of PPP (which would be very likely) then it would certainly make a great quality/value choice … and with their return policy there is little to no risk in trying it.

Your membership here entitles you to a 5% discount on the mattress and you can use the discount code “underground” when you order it.

Assuming that you decide to pull the trigger … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix