Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

My husband and I after searching the Mattress Underground purchased Brooklyn Bedding’s Best Mattress Ever in late August (2015) We have just completed our 120 trial and would not even consider returning it. We got the medium firmness for both of us and 2 Twin XL mattresses to be used on our Leggett and Platte split king frame. I was looking for memory foam, but did not hear anything positive from my friends. So…(now this will age me) since I still had a latex pillow that has been mine for the past 50 years and is still comfortable I began researching latex. I have a really bad back so I needed something that would help. I can’t believe I don’t have pain any more. I get up and out of bed with absolutely no problems. The price was also very attractive and if for some reason, I need a new mattress down the road, a replacement would not be cost prohibitive.

Below is a modified version of the review I posted on the Brooklyn Bedding website after one week of use. My opinion has not changed in the 120 day. In fact, you wouldn’t be able to pry the mattress out from under me if you tried:

I love this mattress so far. I thought I would address a couple of concerns that people have raised in other forums.

1. Does the mattress sleep hot?: No - we are 63 years old and haven’t had any problems. I do have a nice mattress pad and some wonderful sateen sheets on the bed, but those would be on any bed that I own.
  2. Does the mattress leave imprints?: No - we have not had any sagging or noticeable imprinting. The mattress bounces back quickly.
  3. Does the mattress reflect motion from others?: Yes, but not to the degree of my old innerspring mattress.
  4. Does the mattress collapse when sitting on the edge, or is it too firm? No - it is easy to sit on and/or get out of bed.
    I have serious back problems and have noticed that I do not wake up and have trouble stretching out my back and walking straight. I have no more sleeping pain. I feel much more rested. I got this mattress because I have an old latex pillow that I have used for over 50 years and it is still in good shape. I hope this mattress proves to be just as reliable. I like that fact that this mattress does not need to be flipped. I will just need to rotate it occasionally. I have a schedule that I have been following for years: First day of fall, winter, spring and summer.
    It was fun to watch this mattress unfold. We cut the plastic and it was totally plump after only a minute or two. WOW! It did scare our dog.

I did post a review of the “free” pillows. At the time of delivery, I was unaware that they would be shredded foam (scraps). They do indicate that on their site now. They are horrible and I gave them a one star rating. Brooklyn Bedding removed my post from their site. They sell a latex pillow that looks good, but I already purchased new pillows elsewhere. I am going to use the shredded foam to make decorative pillows for my room. We also got the Leggett and Platte adjustable frame from them and it is wonderful.

Hi clamend,

Thanks for taking the time to share such detailed comments and feedback about your mattress purchase … I appreciate it.

As you know you certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It’s also great to hear that your choice worked out so well for you and now that you are past the initial break in and adjustment period it would be reasonable to expect that you will be sleeping well for many more years.

Phoenix

Hello all! I have been in the hunt for a new mattress, though until recently I hadn’t done a whole lot of research. I had been looking at a few reviews online and was thinking of trying to make good use of my credit card’s double cash back for the holidays - and then I stumbled upon this forum. Phoenix, what can I say? You are an absolute guru. I didn’t know how much I didn’t know! I’d like to take a minute to just say thank you a million times over for your informative and thorough posts! I nearly bit on a couple of Amazon deals earlier in the week, but with dubious material quality and a swath of bad reviews, I was a bit scared to jump in blind.

After reading through everything here, weighing some of the Nest options, Kiss Mattress, and a few others, I landed on the Brooklyn BME. For what I’m looking for, it really does seem to check all of the boxes and the price is really quite good. I jumped in on their holiday promotion (5% off + free shredded latex pillows, which Keaton was very quick to explain within seconds of me asking if there were any promos going on). My medium queen should be on the way shortly, and I’d love to come back and leave some feedback after I’ve given it some testing :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Hi Vrenlos,

Thanks for the kind comments … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know you were certainly looking at some great options and ended up making a great quality/value choice.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Here’s an update:

My wife and I both liked the comfort level of the #bme-soft a lot! We definitely prefer soft comfort levels. However, we have two complaints about the #bme-soft.

1). The motion transfer of this mattress is a little bit more than we would like.

2). The support level is just not ideal for us. (Close, but not ideal)

Thinking of switching to the #bme-medium, but I’m kind of making some assumptions I’d like some input on. As far as the motion transfer the soft has an ild 19 top layer and the medium a 28 ild top layer. Would it be reasonable to assume that a firmer top layer would reduce the motion transfer?

I’m also assuming that the support level of the medium will be better than the soft. The second layer of latex is the same in the soft and medium, so not 100% sure the support would be more or not.

If I do switch to the medium, that’s it for me. I lose my trial and the medium is mine. Like I said, we really liked the soft, and I think the medium will hit the sweet spot. My wife and I really liked the support of the Leesa, but it’s was to firm (for her) and I bought it before knowing it only had a 3 lb. memory foam layer. So the Leesa is going back.

Hi chadb97,

Latex in general is very point elastic (contours well to the shape of the body) and is “good” in terms of motion transfer but not as good as memory foam which is the most motion isolating of all the foam materials. Motion transfer is also a function of how all the layers and components in a mattress and the cover interact together with the people sleeping on the mattress so even mattresses that have similar materials can be somewhat different in terms of motion transfer. Different people with different body types or sleeping styles or sensitivities can also affect motion transfer. I doubt that there would be many members here that have compared their soft and firm mattresses (and even if they had their experience may be different from yours) so a conversation with Brooklyn Bedding would probably be the best source of guidance about how their soft and firm options compare in terms of motion transfer.

“Support” is often misunderstood because the goal of a “supportive” mattress is to keep the spine and joints in good alignment and this requires the type of contouring support that allows some parts of the body to sink in more and some parts of the body to sink in less and this will vary on an individual basis. There is more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support/alignment” and “comfort/pressure relief” and “feel” and how they interact together.

The only reliable way to know for certain whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP will be based on your own personal experience.

Phoenix

Thank you for all the help! I ordered my mattress during the Christmas Holiday. Great customer service! Looking forward to a good nights sleep, I ordered the firm and I do not see too many reviews on that comfort so I will be sure to report back once the mattress arrives.
Thank you

Hi jai.wu23,

Thanks for letting us know what you decided to purchase … and you certainly made a great quality/value choice.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

While your experience on their firm mattress or your assessment of how firm it feels to you may be very different from others that have a different body type, sleeping style, sensitivities, or preferences or that are using a different frame of reference for how they define “firm” … I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Update on 01/06/15: I did contact Brooklyn Bedding and they did send me a memory foam topper for my Best Mattress Ever. However, that was not a good solution. Both my husband and I had lower back pain from the combination of BME (soft) with a memory foam topper.

I ordered a Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams Gel 13" memory foam mattress. We’ve had it about 2 weeks and so far have been very happy with it. My husband likes it also, and he is very happy that it does not sleep as hot as our old Tempurpedic Cloud.

I contacted Brooklyn Bedding and am in the process of returning the BME. I think that the BME is a good mattress (and far better than innerspring mattresses), but my husband and I both prefer the memory foam. We don’t wake up with aches and pains. :slight_smile:

I also must comment that Brooklyn Bedding/Dreamfoam has excellent customer service.

Hi abbygrant,

Thanks for the update. It’s not surprising that the soft mattress with an additional memory foam topper was too soft.

Congratulations on your new Ultimate Dreams Gel 13" memory foam mattress as well :slight_smile:

It’s great to hear that it’s working well for you and that you are sleeping well on it.

Phoenix

Just an update, our mattress arrived super fast and was extremely easy to setup even with just one person. So far I am really happy with the craftsmanship of this mattress. I feel like I made a really good decision to purchase this mattress. Thanks everyone! I will be back with my comfort experience.

Hi jai.wu23,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it.

Phoenix

Posting about my shopping experience. I had read there was a coupon code for 5% off and 2 free pillows. When I tried the code I received an error, so I used the chat popup to ask if there was still a code for that offer. The chat agent informed me that the code was expired, and they had a code for 5% off only. He then said he could provide a code to add the 2 free pillows in return for my posting about the shopping experience. He also answered the few questions I had so I am very pleased with this!

Hi tarantulae,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

Hi All - New member here. I am ready to pull the trigger on a foam mattress and have been researching wooden slat foundations, myself…Which is as much work researching a mattress!.

One brand mentioned somewhere on this site is the Natura, which is made in Canada. www.naturaworld.com/products/natura-universal-foundation-4/

I did not find any detailed information on their site about it, so I sent them an email after being unable to reach them by phone. I’ll report back whatever I find.

The forum post I read about them mentioned it is available through Amazon, but they are out of stock with no future availability date given. I also researched the Classic Brands low Profile foundation, but found too many bad reviews.

I did recall SleepEZ recommends one, which you can find on their website. Talking to people I know who’ve purchased the SleepEZ mattress, I’ve heard nothing but good about their mattresses, so I am looking into their product as well.

The wood frame foundation is my current choice among the various options, for the new mattress I am pursuing.

Hi Jalan,

There is more information about support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here.

Which type of support system would be “best” will depend on the specifics of the mattress but a mattress with a polyfoam support core will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components need to be strong and durable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without any of the parts of the support system bending, sagging, or breaking over time. The support surface under the mattress should also have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. I would suggest that the gaps between the slats are no more than about 5" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than 4" would be better yet. Stiffer, stronger, and less flexible wood with a higher bending strength would also be better than softer or more flexible wood with a lower bending strength (see here).

If your mattress has a latex support core then I would look for gaps that are less than 3" between the slats.

The simplest way to choose a foundation would be to use the recommendations of the manufacturer or retailer that is selling the mattress you are purchasing but if you decide to do any additional research then I would also make sure that your support system meets the warranty criteria for your mattress as well because different manufacturers can have different criteria or exclusions for their warranty.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

The recommended foundation from the mattress company I am considering was the Classic Brands I mentioned, but I decided against it after reading reviews about the rough, splintering wood, and the splitting of slats during assembly.

My current bed frame does not have a center support beam, so I am looking at foundations which are a little more rigid. The mattress is I am considering is the Tuft & Needle 10" and has a firmness rating of 7 /10 which will suit me. I was delighted to recently read they were a member here; then equally disappointed to see they had dropped their membership. However, by that time I had concluded they were the right mattress for me. I’m sorry it worked out that way.

T&N recommends platform, inner box spring and wooden slat foundations, so I am confident I am on the right track, and pretty sure the frame recommended by SleepEZ will work well for me. It certainly has the proper spacing to support the mattress (2.75"), which the T & N said should be no more than 4".

Do you have any insight into the Natura World product? I probably won’t hear back from them this weekend.

Hi Jalan,

Based on the pictures i’ve seen it appears to have 12 slats and if they are 1x3 (which are actually 2.5" wide) then the gaps between the slats would be a little under 4". Having said that … this may not be correct so they would be a more reliable source of information.

I would keep in mind that there are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings (or firmness numbers) and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

Having said that … based on most of the feedback that I’ve seen the Tuft & Needle feels firmer to most people than most of the other “simplified choice” mattresses (or the medium firmness option for the ones that have multiple firmness choices).

Assuming that you decide to pull the trigger on the Tuft & Needle … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Well, I decided to return the BME medium I tried.

After some more experimentation I think it was actually not providing enough support; i.e. too soft. I should have paid a bit more attention to my bed frame - it’s the flexible slat type, which is clearly not intended for these types of mattresses. With the mattress on the frame it actually felt way too hard (I guess the give of the slats was robbing a lot of the cushioning from the support layers). Directly on the floor the mattress is noticeably more comfortable but it still doesn’t work that well for me. Sleeping on my back is “OK” but side or stomach sleeping is uncomfortable. However it’s still better than my old atrociously worn out mattress so I’ll be sleeping on it until they come pick it up Friday :stuck_out_tongue:

I would have been interested to try a BME firm but not interested enough to do so without being able to return it.

I’m looking at the KISS and Love mattresses now. I tried contacting both companies. So far I haven’t heard anything back from SleepEZ. Nest got back to me promptly me but the support person is sending clipped emails directly from his phone, which I’m not sure what to make of. He suggested the Alexander mattress instead (without any reasoning behind it; both emails were two sentences) but I’m not sure about memory foam. I think I would greatly prefer the “on top of” as opposed to “sinking into” feeling.

Hi david_a,

Thanks for the update … and I’m sorry to hear that your mattress didn’t work out for you as well as you hoped for but the good news is that you had the foresight to purchase a mattress that has a great return policy so there was little risk in trying it (outside of the time you spent sleeping on it and returning it).

I would also agree that part of the problem could have been the support system under your mattress because most foam mattresses will generally do best with a firm, flat, and non yielding support system underneath it (that provides support that is similar to the floor) and it’s possible that you may have similar issues with other mattresses on the same bedframe as well.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding next.

I would also encourage you to talk with any online manufacturer or retailer you are considering on the phone instead of through emails (see post #4 here).

Phoenix