Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

So we’ve decided it’s time to replace our 31-year-old mattress and box springs. No amount of flipping or rotating, nor more and different toppers will work anymore – not surprisingly.

That bed was comfortable though, and after we put on a three-inch memory foam topper ten years ago, it was perfect – for awhile. I really like the comfort of the memory foam topper, but it’s SO HOT I can’t sleep in the summer without a wet towel on me and a fan blowing directly at me. Husband, though, is comfortable on the memory foam, even with covers on in the summer.

So – no memory foam. Thanks to this site and all the great information, I have decided on latex and Brooklyn Bedding’s Best Mattress Ever. Great return policy if it turns out that that latex is as hot as the memory foam.

I’m thinking the soft, since we are side sleepers and we like the memory foam, but we’re not tiny people (180 pounds and 200 pounds) and I don’t know if we would sink down too much. Any opinions?

My other concern is the lack of side support. Can you sit on the edge of a foam bed without it collapsing? I don’t know if that’s a crazy question, but I just keep envisioning no support at the edge. I mean, the whole mattress can be squished down enough to be shipped in a box…

And, lastly,could I just run 2x4s across my existing bed frame with a less-than-three-inch gap between them and put the new mattress on that? I’m guessing my 31-year-old box frame is toast and I’d prefer not to buy a new bed – though our current setup is directly on the floor, and I haven’t seen our bed for over five years, so the old bed will be new to me!

Also, anyone have opinions on the Best Mattress Ever, after sleeping on it for awhile?

Thanks!

I’m in the same situation as you and need to replace a very old mattress. After looking at Brooklyn’s website and reading this one review it makes me very hesitant to purchase from them even though they’ve been around a good while. All the other reviewers seemed happy with their purchases. Last review from their site dated yesterday

M. S.
Verified Reviewer
05/28/15
Taken by yet another scam.
Free in home trial…no risks…? Seriously? BB sent us a medium - soft mattress…it was not medium anything…it was hard as a rock.
I sent several emails to the sales manager and still have not resolved this issue. I was told to walk on the mattress every night before sleeping on it. Then I was told the mattress took up to 45 days to

soften. Now I am being told they will swap out the layer of latex for a softer one…this will cost me $200.00 deposit to initiate this process…upon arrival of the return layer, they will refund $125.00 of the $200.00!!! Are you kidding me? Whatever happened to customer satisfaction? This latex mattress will be returned…oh, and this will cost me $100.00. Read Less

I’m going to offer some general advice on putting stock in online reviews - not necessarily related to this particular company - as I see many similar posts on various forums asking similar questions.

Fist off, online “reviews,” both pro and con, are worth exactly what you paid for them. They’re usually written very quickly after a client receives a product and are almost always generated by people unqualified to render an educated and objective analysis about a product. That’s not attempting to minimize the opinion of the people making a review - they feel what they feel.

Psychological studies have shown that we are much more likely to complain than compliment, which is why you should take “4.8 stars out of 5” and the like with a grain of salt. Your best weapon is to become an educated consumer and learn about componentry, and certainly TMU does a good job of assisting people in this process.

I do think that online reviews can be useful as a component in providing a snapshot of the reputation of a business or their response to customer service challenges.

I find it interesting, again from a psychological standpoint, that in this particular example consumers can choose to focus on the one negative comment and give it more weight than the more numerous positive reviews. But, that’s our nature.

Relating to this particular negative review, I caution people about terms like “firm” or “ultra plush.” These terms are not standardized within the industry and they are quite subjective. They should serve only as guidelines and if you are buying online you should always communicate directly with the business from which you’re purchasing for better advice. This is also a good way to further evaluate the service of that company.

In the end, I’d advise anyone considering an online purchase to speak extensively with the business where they are considering making a purchase. Ask as many questions as you desire and gauge the level of knowledge and helpfulness. In this particular case, I would phone the company in question and ask them directly about this particular negative review and register your concerns and how it would relate to your potential purchase.

One note: The online mattress world, especially with the ever-growing class of millennial one-size-fits-all mattresses, is getting pretty nasty. Some brands have hired writers to flood the internet with articles and posts that promote their business, eschewing research and objectivity. Others seek to “cleanse” the internet of negative reviews. Take the time to do you own learning, contact vendors directly, build your own relationships, and in the end you’ll be on your way toward making your own educated decision.

Disclaimer: I own a brick and mortar store and we do ship online. I do not know anyone at the mattress company mentioned in this thread.

Good luck!
Jeff

Hi Beekeeper,

You are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing or personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

If you are undecided then the “most common” choice would be to choose the medium but if you call and talk with them on the phone then they will be able to provide you with some guidance about which of their firmness choices would have the best chance of success. In the end when an online company has a free return policy then there is little risk in testing the mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom so it’s really a matter of making a “best judgement” choice and then letting your body tell you how it feels when you sleep on it.

In general terms most foam mattresses that are in a suitable firmness level for the person sleeping on it don’t have or really need edge support. If you sit on the very outside edge then you will sink in more deeply than you may be used to than you would with an innerspring mattress that has edge support although it will also depend on the firmness level you choose. Even with sitting on the very outside edge though you won’t “bottom out” but if you sit back towards the middle of the mattress a little more so your weight is more evenly distributed then you would sink in much less (a few inches). For most people this isn’t an issue with a suitable mattress and it’s just a matter of getting used to sitting on the edge a little differently.

While the best source of guidance about whether any support system will be suitable for a mattress is the manufacturer or retailer that sells it … any support surface that is strong and stable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it, has a flat support surface with minimal to no flex under the mattress, that provides some ventilation under the mattress, has good center support to the floor (to prevent sagging in the middle), and where any “gaps” in the support aren’t too large so that the mattress won’t “sink into” any gaps in the support surface will be fine.

If you are using 2x4’s on a bedframe that has a center support beam with support to the floor and the 2x4’s are attached and stable and not subject to sliding and there are only 3" gaps in between then then you should be fine. Depending on the finish of the 2x4’s I would probably put some type of cloth on top to prevent any splinters from damaging the mattress cover.

Their mattress was only launched a little over a week ago so it’s too soon to have any feedback on the forum yet (although there will be some soon) but I would also be very cautious about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on either in terms of suitability or durability (see post #13 here).

Having said that … you can see some comments about the #BestMattressEver in post #3 here and as you can see it would certainly make a great quality/value and very durable choice.

Phoenix

Hi B4Bob,

I certainly agree with MattressToGo’s comments and I will add a few more of my own that are just as “direct” because whenever I read this type of review I cringe and think to myself “surely nobody would take this type of review seriously” … and yet some people do.

The types of people that tend to write these types of review tend to be those that have very little sense of personal responsibility about the choices they make in their life and the second they are disappointed about anything they scream “scam” all across the internet without realizing that their review says much more about them than the company they are dealing with and without any understanding what the word even means. They clearly just don’t like to be held accountable for their choices or for keeping to the publicly disclosed terms and conditions of a product purchase even though they were (or at least should have been) well aware of them when they made their purchase.

Their sense of “entitlement” tells them that when they make a purchase they should be given everything that they ask for after the fact no matter what they agreed to when they made a purchase and when they say “jump” that the only “appropriate” response from a business is “how high”. Anything less than complying with their “demands” is their definition of “poor customer service” and of course in most cases they will also try and “recruit an army” of like minded people that will agree with them to justify their thought process by writing reviews that have no basis in reality.

This review (and reviewer) in particular is a classic example of the worst type of review that has little to no value or legitimacy and I believe should be completely ignored. I will make some specific comments to add to MattressToGo’s comments as well …

The mattress they Purchased:

BB used to sell a range of mattresses on their website which included latex and latex hybrid mattresses that had a comfort layer that could be exchanged for a different firmness level if the mattress a customer chose was either too soft or too firm. You can see some of their previous latex component mattresses on the wayback machine here and you can see their previous return/exchange policy here that applied to their previous lineup. It’s clear that this customer purchased one of their previous mattresses so their review isn’t even about the mattress that they currently offer. The return exchange policy that they are “complaining” about was the return/exchange policy that applied to the mattress they purchased.

They have been working on a new mattress for some time now that is designed to compete with the new “breed” of “one mattress fits all” mattresses which they recently launched (see post #3 here) and their new mattresses has replaced the mattresses that they listed on their site previously (see posts #6 - #10 here). Their previous mattresses are still available with the same warranty and exchange/return policies but they can only be ordered directly on the phone.

Break in and adjustment period:

All new mattresses have a break in and adjustment period (see post #2 here and post #3 here) and one of the suggestions that can help speed up the break in of a mattress is to carefully walk on the mattress surface so they are “complaining” about a suggestion that is designed to help them which is typical of this type of reviewer where even helpful suggestions that are in their own best interests become a source of criticism.

Firmness choices:

There is no “standard” definition or consensus of opinion for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that is firm for one can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. This is all relative and is as much an art as a science. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here). In other words you will always need to test a mattress for you to assess how firm or soft it feels to you regardless of whether it feels firm or soft to someone else or how anyone else may “rate” it.

Clearly this reviewer didn’t do their homework about firmness levels and how they can vary from person to person and they are also exaggerating what they feel when they talk about their mattress being “hard as a rock” for the sake of “making a very questionable point”. This is also typical of these types of reviewers who try to “pile on” every negative criticism they can think of in the hopes that at least some of their comments will become believable.

They seem to have also “forgotten” that one of the benefits of the mattress they purchased and one of the reasons they would have purchased it were because of the very exchange policy that they are now complaining about as well.

Reviews:

As MattressToGo mentioned … I would also be very cautious about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for someone else and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on either in terms of suitability or durability (see post #13 here).

The only way to know whether any mattress will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (regardless of how suitable it may be for anyone else) will be based on your own testing or personal sleeping experience so if you can’t test a mattress in person then the options you have after a purchase and the return/exchange policy and the costs involved would generally become a more important part of the “value” of a purchase. With a free return policy there is very little risk in trying a mattress outside of the time you spend testing it or returning it if it turns out not to be as suitable for you as you hoped for.

In the end the BB’s new mattress is a great quality/value option for those that are looking for a “simplified choice” in a lower budget range that gives people the chance to test a mattress in their bedroom instead of a showroom and if for any reason it doesn’t work out as well as they hoped for then the only risk would be the time spent testing it or returning it.

They are also one of the members here which means that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency … unlike this review which is a good example of some of the “worst of the industry”.

Phoenix

PS: I also switched your post to a new topic of its own since the review you quoted wasn’t about the same mattress as the one that was being discussed in the original topic and I don’t wish this forum to be unintentionally used as a “tool for harm” that can hurt the reputation of a high quality manufacturer.

I used 1x4 cedar boards over existing poplar slats to modify the bedframe and to close the gaps to 3". Even though the cedar was smooth finished on top side, I covered it with strips of left over wool felt flooring underlayment, fastened with staples on edge of board.

A picture is worth more than a thousand words but I can’t get it to load. Sorry.

Maybe it needs its own panel?

Hi PapaMike,

The picture may be too large (the maximum file size is 2 MB) but if you email it to me (at the contact email at the top of the page) I can attach it to your post for you.

Phoenix

The images are now added to your post and I deleted your last comment which I’m assuming was referring to the pictures (I wasn’t quite sure what you meant by “needing its own panel”)

Phoenix and Mattresstogo
After reading your reply I must apologize for posting a hasty reply. I don’t mean to appear ignorant in such matters but I obviously didn’t do my research on this one. I have been searching myself for a more affordable solution than a full king latex mattress from SleepEz that I began researching almost two years ago. I’ve been reading your website for as long and haven’t bothered to comment until now. What a way to start!
I didn’t recognize the reviewer was not talking about the current offering from Brooklyn. I guess you could tell from the description but since I was looking at the site with one option it seemed he must be taking about it. So much for assumptions.
Thanks to both of you for a thorough explanation of the problems with my post. I would prefer to retract my statements posted in haste so please feel free to remove this post altogether. If you’d like to leave it for historical purposes and to save a lot of repeat typing I respect that decision embarrassing as it may be.
I feel I took up time which you could have better used elsewhere. It’s unbelievable to me the detail you continually offer in your explanations to the folks who come here for valuable information. Thank you for your ongoing best information out there regarding such a confusing topic. I find it easier to buy a used car on Craigslist to be honest!
Bob in NC

Just getting started with my research. Trying to determine the differences between all of these one style suits all mattresses. It seems that there are very small differences between each company’s product. From my random reading here and some other mattress sites, I am leaning towards this Brooklyn Bedding #bestmattressever because it seems to be the only one which offers some variety, It also has some better quality components but how can you be sure you will like it without trying it. I Feel very inclined to try it especially with the comfort trial. I guess am just looking for some validation before I pull the trigger, and would maybe like to hear from some other folks who have tried this out. In any case I would like to get something soon and would love to hear some thoughts.

Cheers,
JW

Thanks, all, for your replies. I’m going to give the bestmattressever a try. I think I will call the company first, just to make sure that the soft is the best for us. I will post after I receive the mattress and try it out with our opinions of the mattress.

Thanks, also, for the picture of the slats with the covering on them. That should work with my existing metal bed frame, and it looks easy enough to do.

Hi B4Bob,

The comments in the replies certainly weren’t about you or your post and were only about the contents of the review you quoted so I hope you don’t have the impression that the “tone” of the replies were directed at you. They also could just as easily have applied to many other consumer reviews that are written all over the internet about a mattress made by any manufacturer or retailer as well so it would certainly be a good reference post that could be very helpful to other forum members that come across similar reviews as well and posting it and providing the opportunity to reply adds to the value of the information on the forum so it would be very useful to let it stand as it is.

I would also comment that your post doesn’t show ignorance on your part since it was a legitimate question and the only “ignorant” questions IMO are the ones that are never asked so there is certainly no reason to be embarrassed for asking it :).

The only reason I switched it into a new topic was because Google indexes and ranks the posts here very quickly (particularly based on the titles of the topics) and I didn’t want the post to cause unintentional harm to BB in a topic that had the name of their new mattress in the title even though your comments and the replies certainly have “value”.

Thanks for the kind comments … and any post that adds “value” to the forum (which yours does) certainly isn’t just “taking up time” that could be better spent elsewhere since these types of questions (or any questions that are important to the members here) are always worthwhile asking!

Phoenix

Hi oldsmobile72,

There is more about the most important parts of the “:value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

It’s certainly true that Brooklyn Bedding’s #BestMattressEver uses higher quality and more durable materials than most of the other “simplified choice” mattresses and that they offer more firmness choices than some of the others as well so they have options that will fit a wider range of people (see post #3 here).

Since the mattress is so new there hasn’t been any comments or feedback on the forum yet (although there will be some coming soon once the members here that have purchased it receive them and have a chance to sleep on them for a bit).

There is also more information in post #2 here about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them.

I would be very cautious about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable a mattress may be for you and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer (such as Brooklyn Bedding) that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Having said that … since they also have a great return policy there is no risk in testing it in your bedroom instead of a showroom outside of the time you spend sleeping on it or returning/donating it if in the worst case it isn’t as suitable a “match” for you as you hoped for.

Phoenix

Hi Beekeeper,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you are making a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you’ve received it.

Phoenix

Hello Beekeeper,
I too am very interested in your review and congratulations on taking the plunge - I have bought three mattresses from Brooklyn Bedding but they didn’t have this one.
Thanks in advance for your review,
Jeff

Thank you all go your input! I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Brooklyn bedding best mattress today. I’m very excited and a little scared I have never purchased an item online this personal. The info here and on their site made it super easy so I should say more excited than scared I suppose lol. I will keep you all posted on my experience with the #bestmattressever zing haha! Thanks again Phoenix!

Cheers,
JW

Hi oldsmobile72,

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out!

Phoenix

Just purchased a size queen in Medium and the transaction couldn’t have gone smoother! The chat feature pops up right after you order so that you can speak with a representative. Very cool! Can’t wait for the mattress to arrive next week!

I just ordered a soft. Will post back in a few weeks with a review.

Hi bigbank,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to any comments and feedback you have the chance to share as well once you have the chance to sleep on it as well.

@ Optical Dream,

Thanks for the feedback about the ordering process and while I already said congratulations in the other topic it certainly can’t hurt to add another “congratulations on your new mattress” here as well now that you’ve pulled the trigger :slight_smile:

Phoenix