Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

Hi david_a,

I switched your last two posts to a different topic that is more appropriate because our conversation was starting to drift outside of the scope of the original topic you posted in and was more about support systems than the mattress.

You can see some thoughts about flexible slat systems in post #2 here and the posts it links to. A flexible slat system would be an “active” part of a sleeping system (just like any other layer or component either in, under, or over a mattress that flexes or compresses when you sleep on it) so the only reliable way to know whether a flexible slat system would be an improvement for you in terms of PPP compared to a non flexing support system would be based on your own actual experience when you test it or sleep on it in person and compare both types of support systems under the same mattress. For some people it could be neutral, for some people it would be an improvement, and for some it could be detrimental.

A flexible slat system can be beneficial with some thinner foam mattresses (generally two sided) that by themselves may not have enough “give” and/or can benefit from some additional flexibility or “depth” and contouring support under the mattress and in some cases they can be beneficial under some types of innerspring mattresses as well but “most” one sided foam mattresses (and one sided mattresses in general) are designed to do best on a support system that has little to no give (similar to having the mattress on the floor).

Phoenix

As a long time Brooklyn Bedding customer and fan, I couldn’t resist buying another mattress from them. So far, everything I’ve ever bought from them has been first rate and the customer service is second to none (Thanks Mario). I don’t see how you can go wrong ordering a mattress from BB – If you don’t like it they will take it back…try that at a local store!
I chose the “soft” firmness as a side sleeper and I will provide a review after receiving the BME.
Jeff

Hi jefmoody,

You have certainly purchased your share of Dreamfoam and Brooklyn Bedding mattresses (if I’m not mistaken this is #6?) and you would probably quality as an “expert” based on your personal experiences on their mattresses alone!

Congratulations on making another great quality/value choice … :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Sorry for the delay in my response, The total falls back to only 5 as the second 12 n 1 had to be cancelled for lack of foam (No estimated timeframe to resupply), Since it happened this way, I decided to buy the one I really wanted in the first place – The BME.
I have a lot of faith in Brooklyn Bedding and DreamFoam and I intend to stick with them. #HappyCustomer

Hello All,

First of all, a huge thanks to TMU and Phoenix for the elaborate mattress selection/value write up. And thanks to the members for their honest reviews.

I just ordered my King size #BestMattressEver from Brooklyn Bedding and had a wonderful time doing so. I think this is the way mattress shopping was supposed to be!

Before I ordered this mattress, my wife and I visited a few different retail chains to find whats out there and the cost. We quickly came to a realization that the mattress we loved retailed for $3500 - $4000…waaaaay over our budget. We spoke to the retailers to see if there are any promotions, expecting to get at-least a couple of hundred dollars off the mattress. At this one retail store, after speaking to the “manager”, the price dropped to $2900. I was happy since the discount was more than I expected to get, but still above our budget. My wife and I decided to wait for a month before we can purchase the $2900 mattress, we told the sales associate that we would come back in a month and started to walk towards the door when he stopped us. He went back to his “manager” a second time and got the price down to $2300. This was still more than the $2000 max budget we had which we mentioned to the sales associate. He went back to the “manager” a third time and came back with $2099 with tax for the mattress. The mattress went from 3500 to 2099 in a matter of few mins and i was very uncomfortable with this. First, i felt lied to with a high sticker price when the actual price they were willing to give away was 2099 - why not put that on the sticker and sell it for what its worth! Secondly, it makes me wonder the quality if they were willing to drop $1500 the sticker price! Thirdly, the numerous “manager” visit just got to me. We walked out of there and started researching on the actual value/cost of mattresses. That is when we stumbled upon Brooklyn Bedding on this forum and its reviews and its reasonable pricing. We did some more research (youtube reviews and amazon reviews) and were ready to purchase this mattress! Placed the order just yesterday and already we had to contact the customer service due to a billing/shipping address mishap on our part while placing the order. They rectified it promptly this morning in a few mins. This was much much better than the retail store experiences we have had, We are extremely satisfied with our purchase decision just based on the shopping experience! I hope the mattress lives up to the same level of expectation. I will definitely post a review of the mattress after we receive it and hope to help out others who are in the situation we were!

Hi Afa,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! … and I’m glad you found us!

Unfortunately your experiences with “negotiating” is fairly typical in the mainstream industry. The worst part is you were probably negotiating for a mattress that wasn’t “worth” buying for $2099 either and that you would most likely be best avoiding in the first place (at any price) because it would likely have lower quality materials that would be a weak link and would compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress anyway.

Better manufacturers and retailers don’t generally “negotiate” (see post #6 here) or have “fake sales” with large discounts based on the time of year or holidays (see the guidelines here and post #5 here). While they may have sales with smaller discounts … I would treat retailers or manufacturers that negotiate their prices or have “major holiday sales” with “huge” discounts as a red flag because manufacturers or retailers that sell good quality/value mattresses don’t need to negotiate or have “fake sales” with misleading discounts to create a false sense of urgency and they sell good quality/value mattresses every day of the year at prices that are already very reasonable.

The good news is that you ended up making a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I’ll give a better review after a few weeks but night one on the soft BME was a wonderful experience (as expected). Maybe since I’m already a latex mattress fan is why I didn’t think there would be any adjustment period in my case and there was not. I slept like a baby on the very first night. It is super comfortable and I feel supported from head to toe. Being super easy to order and with a 120 day return policy, I cannot understand why people choose to wake up in pain – maybe they are truly broke but other than that I do not get it. I must mention the pillows from BB…Some may not agree but I love the Latex pillows they sell. Memory foam makes me sweat and poly-fill pillows are not comfortable to me. These pillows have shredded latex and a zipper (you can take some of it out if you need a lower pillow). I like them so much I hate that I hit 40 before discovering Latex. I could have saved myself much pain and discomfort.

Hi jefmoody,

Thanks for sharing your comments and feedback once again … and as always I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I am super excited about ordering my #BestMattressEver Soft today!

I will update here to let you know how I feel once it arrives.

Before I found these forums, I was mainly considering a Chinese manufacturer – Phoenix’s posts here convinced me of the quality of Brooklyn Bedding.

Additionally, I read that out of all the various companies that offer trial sleeping periods… people often complain about their one-firmness-fits-all mattresses being too firm. I’m a side-sleeper and I really want soft.

Plus Brooklyn Bedding doesn’t spray the mattress with flame retardant and instead uses a flame retardant sock – makes me feel better about not having to breathe in chemicals from some mattress made in China.

Hope it goes well!

I just talked to Mario at BB and with his help I placed an order for my BME. Thanks Phoenix for this forum, your resources, and the people who take the time to post. I’m a research freak and after going to a local big box store and learning a mattress would cost me 2-3k I knew there had to be a better and cheaper option and thanks to this site I feel really confident in my purchasing decision that will provide me years of value.

For those deciding on buying a mattress online sight unseen, the kicker for me was the BME 120 day return policy so if I don’t like the bed I can return it. Hopefully I won’t though and hopefully it lasts for several years!

Hi aspire and PeteInNH,

Congratulations to both of you on your new mattresses :slight_smile:

As you know you both made great quality/value choices and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you received them and have had the chance to sleep on them for a bit.

The BBE uses very high quality and durable materials (2 lb polyfoam and two layers of latex) so durability certainly won’t be an issue.

Phoenix

We have been using our king medium mattress for a little over a month now and I am very pleased. My husband is concerned it is too soft for him, but on the other hand, said he doesn’t wake up hurting. My only (minor) complaint is the motion transfer, there was none with the Tuft and Needle mattress but this one is more like our inner spring, which was not a surprise, I just had no idea mattresses without motion transfer existed and I think I was spoiled for the month we used the T&N mattress.

Due to a shipping mix up, the #bestpillowever arrived after the mattress, and I love the pillow. I have fewer backaches when using it, and will purchase another in the next month or so for my husband. I can’t recommend the pillow enough.

Hi all,

We’ve been sleeping on our BME medium queen for about a month, and I can honestly say that I’ve been very impressed by the service, easy setup, absolute lack of any kind of chemical smell, and quality of the mattress. Overall very happy in that regard.

On the other hand, I’m beginning to think that the medium may be a tad too soft for us. I tend to have small amounts of back pain after waking up a couple of nights a week, and in general feel like my neck angle is very steep as I sink into the mattress. I sleep with a buckwheat hull pillow and have to flatten it out quite a bit to get comfortable.

Has anyone tried both the medium and firm of this mattress that can comment just how much more firm the latter is? I’m hesitant to try an exchange if we’re then stuck with a firm mattress that we don’t like. Decisions decisions!

I can say the firm is pretty firm. In comparing the BME Firm vs Nest Love Bed Firm, BME is definitely firmer. I’m trying to figure out an option to soften up my BME to something in between a firm and a medium.

I’ve only had my mattress for a week so far now, so I’ll still need to wait for it to “break in” fully.

Hi vrenlos,

There is more about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here.

It may also be a good idea to check the support system under your mattress to make sure that it is perfectly flat and doesn’t flex or bend under the weight of your mattress and the people sleeping on it. You can check this by putting your mattress on the floor to see if it makes any difference (a suitable support system should have very little to no flex and would be very similar to the floor).

It’s also possible that you could have a pillow issue rather than a mattress issue and it’s not uncommon that a new mattress will also need a new pillow with a different thickness to keep your head and neck in good alignment.

Phoenix

Debating between the BME and the Leesa. Coming from a 10 year old Select Comfort 7000 series dual air cell with a foam/down topper. Keep the sleep number setting in the 30’s-40’s. I’m 6’0" 200 lbs, stomach/side sleeper. Wife is 5’6" 130 lbs stomach/side sleeper.

Any suggestions between the two mattresses or even other options. If BME then which firmness?

We tried options in the store. I seemed to like the Tempur Cloud Luxe Breeze a fair amount in store, but not really sure if it would have been good for a longer trial. Also didn’t like that price tag.

Hi AdamRB,

There is more about what I call “simplified choice” mattresses in general in post #1 here and there is more specific information about the BestMattressEver and Leesa in post #2 here in the same topic.

As you can see the BME uses higher quality and more durable materials and the 2" of 3 lb memory foam in the Leesa is lower quality/density than the guidelines I would normally suggest and could be a weak link in the mattress.

The medium would cover the largest part of the bell curve that would be suitable for the largest percentage of people and would be the most common choice but when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

This is a follow-on review of our BME purchased last fall. We are quite pleased with this mattress to-date and have found it comfortable, supportive and well made. Our BME is the “medium” firmness which is a good match for our weights and preferences. I will note that because of my own personal unique circulatory issues and an ongoing nerve thing, that I had to add a 2" memory foam topper to my side to deal with some minor pressure point challenges. This is not the mattresses’ fault…it’s my body.

I will note that we were gifted with a pair of free BB pillows and are thankful for them. While they are way, way too thick for actual sleeping, they are helpful for positioning while reading, etc.

I’d like to share my experience with this company because I feel that when it’s done right, people should know! We were caught in the Sleepy’s mattress cycle (buy new, it sags, get warranty but still shell out more for new mattress)… it was frustrating because all I wanted was to sleep well! Recently we sold our house and moved to an apartment and decided to get a new mattress for the move. A friend of mine recommended Brooklyn Bedding (said his wife did a ton of research and this was the one she chose) - so I investigated and we decided to go with it. One of the selling points was the boxing and delivery - that it could come straight to my door in a box that we could manage ourselves! After it arrived I realized that I ordered the wrong size (California King instead of King). The company was so very responsive, returned my calls, sent me email follow-ups and sent out a new mattress as soon as the prior one was picked up by FedEx (not received by them, but merely picked up)! Due to my error, we spend a week sleeping on the floor. Their willingness to be flexible allowed us to not have to spend many more weeks sleeping on the floor! It has been ~4 months since we received the mattress and it is great! We opted for the firm because of all the sagging we’ve experienced. Since this mattress, I don’t have the lower back or hip pains that I used to wake up with. I sleep well and very comfortably. It also isn’t hot like the other mattresses - we used to feel the heat trapped in the bed. I have one of BBs pillows also and I love it (you can’t blame a pillow for moving on you at night as you toss and turn, but that’s my complaint!) I really have to give this company a lot of credit for their innovation, customer service and quality product. You should really try them out!

I bought the medium bed from Brooklyn Bedding and I am quite happy with it. Very soft but also supportive. I enjoy it quite a bit.