Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

We are currently mattress shopping, and we finally settled on Brooklyn. While I know the message of this forum is that you can’t be sure until you’ve slept on the mattress, we feel like we can at least be sure that it’s very good quality product at this price point. We are currently sleeping on a memory foam mattress (Serta or Sealy?) that has severe indentations after just two years, so we’re basically sleeping on top of each other at this point! It’s been such a rough few months that we’re even upgrading to king just to be safe!
We’ve decided to try medium - my partner values support, and I value softness (my arm falls asleep almost nightly now!), so we hope it will be the best of both worlds, or at least a ready compromise.
Once we finally get the mattress, I’ll make sure to share some additional insights, but for now I wanted to thank you for this great website that really helped us in our search and mention that, so far at least, the Brooklyn team has been a delight to work with, both on social and through their chat function. We really hope this continues through the entire process and can’t wait to get to sleep on the #BestMattressEver

So the mattress itself didn’t work out for my wife and I, I won’t get into what I did and didn’t like, but I’ll instead go over what I experienced in the return process.

I was around 90 days in when I decided to return the mattress. If there wasn’t a good return policy I would have been fine keeping it, but I also probably wouldn’t have purchased it to begin with. Probably like a lot of you, I was a little skeptical and hoping for the best with the return process.

To begin, I emailed customer support. Mario asked me what I didn’t like about it, and I politely gave him my reasons. He sent over a link for an onlne return form to fill out… After receiving the form, Mario let me know someone would be calling me to setup a pickup. It took about a week, but a moving company finally contacted me to schedule a pickup. I did end up picking up a cheap mattress bag < $10 just to hold the mattress and the free pillows that I received. Once they picked up the mattress I emailed Mario. He emailed me back within one business day and confirmed that I had been refunded through paypal.

All in all it was pretty painless to return. I just wanted to let people know if they were skeptical of the 120 day return policy / no shipping fees.

Hi marquette,

Thanks for your comments and feedback and for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Like the others that have purchased it I’m also looking forward to your comments once you receive it as well.

Phoenix

Hi marquette,

Thanks for your comments and feedback … I appreciate it.

While you certainly made a great quality/value choice … I’m sorry to hear that your mattress didn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

The good news of course is that you had the foresight to purchase an online mattress with a great return policy so that you could test it at home without any risk and it’s good to hear that your return process was so simple and painless.

Phoenix

Hey all,

I purchased this mattress a little over 6 months ago now and just wanted to leave my feedback on it. After reading through endless posts on these forums, I ended up choosing the Brooklyn Bedding mattress as my first choice and I’m glad I did! I upgraded from an old double sized spring mattress with a memory foam topper to the king sized medium mattress from Brooklyn Bedding.

The mattress is very comfortable and I am sleeping way better than my old spring mattress. The old memory foam topper slept quite hot and after everything I read about latex I was hoping the BB mattress slept cool. It is definitely quite a bit cooler than my old mattress but is still a little on the warm side. That may be caused by the mattress protector that I have on it (if anyone has any recommendations for one, greatly appreciated! I just picked one that was highly rated on Amazon). The support the mattress provides is also great. I’m 5’10 175lbs and wake up refreshed every morning. I am up in Canada, so it was a little bit painful to get it up here (had to ship to a friend just across the border as the $250 USD shipping cost is a little crazy!). Other than that, no complaints from me.

Just wanted to thank Phoenix for all the insight and BB for a great mattress!

Hi jpayan,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … and a belated congratulations on your mattress :slight_smile:

It’s great to see that your choice worked out so well for you.

While it’s not always possible to to track down temperature regulation issues for any particular person on a specific mattress because there are so many variables involved (including your room temperature and humidity, your sheets and bedding and bedclothes, your mattress protector or any mattress pads you are using, and where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range) and some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with … there is more about tracking down a potential cause or causes for temperature regulation issues (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

Your mattress protector could certainly be playing a noticeable role in your sleeping temperature and there is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and some examples of each of them in post #89 here.

Other variables that can affect your sleeping temperature besides the mattress itself would be the type of sheets you are using, your blankets, your room environment, and the bedclothes that you sleep in.

Phoenix

I just wanted to provide a quick update on the mattress that I purchased from Brooklyn Bedding. So far, it hasn’t disappointed at all. In fact, it has exceeded my expectations. I am sleeping better and not waking up all the time in the middle of the night like I usually do. The mattress that I purchased was a medium firmness I have found it to be extremely comfortable. I also like the fact that this is a latex mattress and not an inner-spring. I personally prefer latex mattresses over anything else.

Also, I was extremely pleased with the customer service I received from Mario at Brooklyn Bedding. He was helpful, personable, and professional. I plan on sending all my friends and family to him in the future and buying my next mattress from them. And I also plan to send people to this forum so that they can research a bed before purchasing it like I did. Thanks again Phoenix and Mario.

Hi ActionJackson,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update with your comments and feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s also great to hear that you are sleeping so well on your new mattress!

Phoenix

Chiming in on BB’s BME… My queen medium arrived on Friday. Up and running in a matter of minutes. No smells at all. Very comfortable and plush feeling. I’ve been suffering with lower back issues for the better part of four months now. I won’t say my problems have disappeared but I will say this is an extremely comfortable bed that replaced my 7 year old Simmons Beauty Rest (RIP Simmons, I don’t miss ya).

If I had one drawback to list about this bed it’d be the side-sitting issue. I sit on the bedside every morning when I put on my shoes for work. I feel like I’m slipping off the side of the bed. Also, when I hop up onto the bed, I have to maneuver toward the center so I don’t feel like I’m sliding.

I have the bed on the boxspring that came with its predecessor. It sleeps like a dream. Perfect temperature (even with my night sweats). . I never want to get out of this bed when I’m in it.

But that sitting on the side thing… I have about 114 days left to decide how much that really matters to me. It might be a dealbreaker though I hope not because I did a ton of research that led me to select this bed.

Here’s hoping!

Michele

Hi sinistre,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you decided and for sharing your comments and feedback … I appreciate it.

As you know you made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Unlike most innerspring mattresses … most foam mattresses (latex foam, memory foam, or polyfoam) don’t have (or even really need) edge support as long as the firmness of the support core and the thickness of the comfort layers are suitable for your body weight when you are sleeping. Foam mattresses will generally feel softer and compress more deeply if you sleep with most of your weight on the very outside edges of the mattress or if you sit on the very edge of the mattress because your weight is more concentrated when you are sitting than when you are sleeping on the mattress (see post #33 here).

While there are always exceptions … in most cases and for most people this is just a matter of getting used to a foam mattress (particularly if you are used to a spring mattress with edge support) and perhaps sitting a little bit more towards the center of the mattress rather than on the very outside edge.

I’m looking forward to any additional comments you have the chance to share over the course of the next 114 days.

Phoenix

I may be missing this but is the code available for the 5% off and free pillows? Going to call Leesa tomorrow for a return…I woke up this morning at 4:30 with a numb right arm. I couldn’t fall back asleep after that.

Hi npolite,

The members here qualify for a 5% discount (not free pillows) but it can’t be “stacked” with other discounts that may also be available. The discount code is listed in the membership list here.

Phoenix

After initially considering the Dreamfoam Arctic Dreams, I ultimately settled on the Brooklyn Bedding BME in the “medium” firmness. My mattress arrived yesterday, and I slept on it for the first time last night. The oder was minimal and not at all offensive. The mattress was a little firmer than anticipated for a medium, but I did find it very comfortable…

The other thing I noticed was how heavy it was for a small package. While weight doesn’t necessarily mean quality, this mattress is definitely made of solid and substantial material. Based on the specs, I’m comfortable that this is a high quality mattress for the money and will hopefully serve me well for years to come.

Hi Gate89,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding.

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice especially in your higher weight range … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to any additional comments you have the chance to share as you go through the break in and adjustment period over the course of the next few weeks and have the chance to sleep on it for a little longer.

Phoenix

Months later, and the mattress has broken in very well. I’m going to buy a second for guests! I felt it was a bit firm to start, but about 100 days in it started feeling much softer. Give it time if you’re on the fence.

Hi RJ29,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s also great to hear that once you went through a little longer break in and adjustment period that your firmness choice worked out so well for you.

Pheonix

I’ve had the BME for about 6 months now. I originally read about it here on Mattress Underground, and have been very happy with the purchase.

My wife and I had actually ordered a Casper first, which we sent back after realizing that neither of us liked the feel of Dunlop latex as a top layer. After watching a few youtube videos of people squishing up different kinds of latex, I decided that I wanted a talalay top layer, maybe with dunlop underneath. The BME fit the bill. My wife and I both sleep on our backs, stomachs, and sides, and have been very satisfied. I think the combination of the talalay on top of dunlop makes it feel more like a traditional innerspring, but without the pressure points. Definitely worth checking out if that’s what you are looking for.

Hi anthony3,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you ended up deciding and for your 6 month update and feedback as well, I appreciate it.

Like the others that have purchased it I think you made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I know I’m late to this but My Green Mattress is one of the companies I’m considering purchasing from.

I was about to order when I found this post and noticed they use a small amount of polyester. I’m concerned not only by their lack of disclosure on their website regarding this, but also because I’m reading here that they’ve stated it’s less than 5%. However, another person that has contacted them about this has been told it’s 10-15%. It makes me wonder what else they could be hiding.

Hi fsumom,

I have known Tim and My Green Mattress for years and have had many detailed conversations with them about their mattresses and they are one of the most open and transparent manufacturers in the industry and I can certainly confirm that nobody there has any intention of hiding anything from their customers. I would keep in mind that we wouldn’t even be having this discussion except as a result of information that they provided.

Like other good manufacturers … they are also constantly looking for new sources for materials and components (including their wool) that can improve the quality and value of their mattresses but any good manufacturer will always make the performance of their materials and components and the best interests of the majority of their customers their first priority over other less important considerations (or the criteria or preferences of a much smaller percentage of their customers).

I have talked with Tim and in the case of their wool quilting their current wool supplier uses about 12% polyester fiber (which may vary slightly in either direction) in order to keep the consistency of the wool in their quilting more even and to prevent thicker and thinner spots in the wool. This would meet any reasonable definition of natural and their wool doesn’t use any chemicals but I’ve also edited the percentage in my previous reply to avoid any confusion.

They have experimented with 100% natural wool from different suppliers that doesn’t contain any polyester or “hot melt” but they found that when they used it to make their quilted cover the final result just wasn’t as consistent and given a choice between a less consistent material and possible customer complaints about “lumpiness” and consistency and performance they chose consistency and performance (and I think that the large majority of their customers would prefer that they made the choice they did). Their mattresses also aren’t being sold as “organic” mattresses (although they do use some organic components) and there would be little point in sacrificing the performance of a material or component for the sake of an arbitrary definition of “natural” that would have no practical benefit or value.

If you talk with them on the phone (which I would certainly encourage so that you don’t need to go by second hand information) you will also find that they will tell you anything that they know about all their materials and components and they also encourage their local customers to tour their factory so that they can see for themselves how their mattresses are made and all the materials and components that they use inside them. It would be difficult for any manufacturer to be more open and transparent than that.

Phoenix