Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

Looking at the Brooklyn or the Novosbed. I can’t decide. I weight around 150 - 155 on average. Wife is around 110. She says she prefers firmer but the bed we have now is a independent coil mattress with a pillow top so it might be considered a really soft mattress. So “firmer” might actually just mean medium. She is back sleeper and I am a side with a bit of back although I would like to be more back. Just with our mattress thats not possible since its so soft.

I think I am leaning more towards the brooklyn because I have no idea if I will like memory foam over the long term. However, they have a 250$ shipping fee to Canada I don’t love. Also I like that the novosbed has the convert layer option if we find it to firm.

Anyways, I don’t know what to get. I was thinking either brooklyn firm or Novosbed firm. Sigh.

Hi thedommer,

I switched your post into a new topic of its own since your comments and questions were outside the scope of the original topic you posted in.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress. There are just too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Both Brooklyn Bedding and Novosbed are members of this site which means that I think highly of both of them and I believe that they both compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

As you probably know The BME uses latex in the comfort layers and Novosbed uses memory foam which are very different materials with different properties but the choice between them is more of a preference and budget choice than a “better/worse” choice. There is more about some of the differences between memory foam and latex in post #2 here but the best way to know which type of materials or mattresses you tend to prefer in general would be based on your own testing and/or personal experience.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design and if at this point there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your own local testing and/or your more detailed phone conversations about each of them, the firmness and suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials and components, designs, or types and blends of latex, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers and any costs involved, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Quick follow up to my previous post…

Received the bed Thursday after placing the order on a Friday, so shipping was fast.

I’ve slept in it for 3 days now (Queen Soft) and I haven’t woken up sore and stiff like I used to. I still have some left over knots in my neck from before, but I don’t feel that more knots are being added every time I go to bed like it seemed with my old mattress.

I actually slept in it for about 13 hours straight this weekend as I became ill, and still didn’t have the morning stiffness as before. Doing that in my last bed would have left my body wrecked for days.

So far, I’m very pleased with the bed. The soft seems to have been a great choice for my sleeping habits. I can sleep comfortably on my side, while also feeling fine if laying on my back for short periods of time.

The free pillow is nice too. Its a standard length pillow I think, but pretty thick and fluffy. A bit thicker than I prefer for side sleeping, but it makes a great pillow to throw on the couch when watching TV.

Hi Karln2003,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s great to hear that your mattress is working out so well for you.

Phoenix

After a week and a half with a King Medium I think its just not gonna work for us. I talked with Mario and he suggested the medium even though my wife really thought we should go with the soft.
Its just too firm. I am “okay” with it. I mean im not very picky. It really is a nice bed but the wife just cant deal with the firmness. Its just too hard for her. Problem is we are now stuck with it for a few more weeks before we can return it. I really like the idea of the bed and wish we would have gone with the plush right from the start. But at this point I dont think the risk of switching the bed to a soft is worth it… I really wish we could try out the soft though because I really think these are great beds.
Is it possible once our 30 days is up to return the bed get our credit back then place another order for the soft mattress or is this circumventing BB return policies?

Hi kgressler,

It’s certainly possible that you may need or prefer a softer mattress. The recommendations made by knowledgeable retailers or manufacturers are generally based on which firmness choice would have the highest odds of success based on the “averages” of other people that have a similar body type and sleeping style but of course not everyone will fit the averages of other people.

There will also be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as the mattress loses any of it’s “false firmness” and the cover stretches and loosens a little and the materials settle and your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here. This would typically be a few weeks but it can be shorter or longer depending on the specifics of the person and the mattress (higher density materials like latex can take longer) and it can be surprising to many people how much their sleeping experience can change over the course of the first month or so. Some of the suggestions in post #2 here may be helpful as well.

Most online manufacturers or retailers that have a trial period with a free return will only allow for a single return/refund within a calendar year although you could check with Brooklyn Bedding to find out the specifics of their policy. While you could certainly exchange your mattress for a soft version (or receive a refund and make a separate purchase for a soft) … if it doesn’t work out for you then you wouldn’t be able to return it for a refund.

Phoenix

After about 2-3 weeks of research about the online mattress options available, and multiple evenings in mattress stores, my wife and I landed on the Brooklyn Bedding King Size Medium firmness mattress. I have now slept on the mattress for 2 weeks, and I have never slept better!! My wife and I both wake up more rested and without the normal backpack that we were becoming accustomed to!! The pillow that came with the mattress is amazing, and has kicked our “My Pillows” to the spare room permenantly!! If you are considering this mattress, pull the trigger, and I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. However, if it doesn’t work for you, you have 120 days to get a 100% refund!!! We took the jump with the 120 night trial as a safety net, and I am so glad we did!! Not only did I find #thebestmattressever but I will now never have to set foot in another typical mattress store!!!

Hi Dw5252,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and it’s great to see that you are enjoying your new mattress.

Phoenix

We’ve had our mattress now for nearly a year, so I figure it’s time for an updated opinion.

For the first month or so, my husband and I found ourselves piled up in the middle of the bed – so much so that, although we had gotten a California King, I was wishing we’d bought a regular King. Seemed like the bed was not wide enough and that it curved toward the floor. However, that all resolved itself and the King is perfect. I guess maybe the sides hadn’t fully puffed up but the middle had, forcing us to keep moving to the middle to avoid tumbling onto the floor.

We had opposite initial opinions on the firmness of the bed. He thought it was too soft; I thought it was too firm. He is usually a back sleeper, and I am a side sleeper, so that may be why we had those impressions. But, now, either we’re just used to it or the bed changed, because we both feel it’s just right.

The summer was cool sleeping, even though it was a HOT summer. Never once needed a fan blowing on me, so yay!

A couple of months ago I noticed I was having some sciatica pain, similar to the pain I experienced on the old bed. I’m not sure if it was the bed or just too much sitting at work, but it is no longer a problem. My husband experienced some back stiffness in the beginning. That may have been in adjustment to the latex bed, coming from a traditional box springs and mattress setup, as he hasn’t had a problem since. Dog seems to love the bed, as she sneaks up there whenever we leave the house!

The sides are definitely softer than a traditional bed, but generally it is not a problem. I just sit back a little farther when putting on shoes, and it’s fine. If you sit on the very edge, you could end up on the floor.

I have not noticed any body indentations yet. Mattress appears now as it did new.

After nearly a year’s time sleeping on the King medium BME, we are very satisfied with our purchase and would recommend it highly to others.

Hi Beekeeper,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback after a year … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi, we just received our Brooklyn Bedding BME and so far it’s great. This is a quick review of the Brooklyn Bedding customer service. Our mattress came with a free shredded latex pillow and sheets as part of the special. The pillow is fantastic, so I decided to go to the website and order another one. When the site came up there is a Memorial Day special that now includes 2 pillows and sheet sets with the mattress. I started a chat session and Keaton just asked for our order number and he would send out the additional items.
This is great service. So far I’m very happy with our purchase from Brooklyn Bedding.

Hi LizW,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update with your initial comments and feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s also great to hear that they sent you the additional pillow and sheet set as well!

Phoenix

About to take the plunge on a BBBME—a queen medium (I side sleep but herself tends to stomach sleep). This site has been exceedingly helpful in both discovering such companies as BB and Addable and Leesa (were the three we decided between) and in making a decision. Really very much obliged to you Pheonix… I’ll report back as things go.

Hi bepoz,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

I’m trying to decide between a DreamFoam (DF) Ultimate Dreams Latex and a #BestBedEver from Brooklyn Bedding (BB). They are very similar; here is what I’ve gathered so far:

-DF has 3" of Talalay latex, while the BB has 2" of Talalay and 2" on Dunlop synthetic latex. The balance of both mattresses (both 10" total) is 2 lb foam.

I’m wondering whether the extra 1" of latex will be noticably different or not. From what I’ve read, you can’t necessarily make a lot of conclusions between Talalay and Dunlop, but Dunlop does tend to be firmer (again, not sure if this matters as the top 2" are Talalay in both cases).

Any guidance would be great.

Edit: Forgot to note that after accounting for FX, shipping etc. to Canada, the DF is roughly $300 CAD cheaper than the BB, which is why I’m asking. There would be two sleepers on this mattress: 5’6"/140 lbs and 5’2" and 110 lbs, both alternately slide and back sleepers.

Hi levelcaller,

I edited #BestBedEver to #BestMattressEver which is the mattress being discussed in this topic and I’m assuming is what you meant. I’m also assuming that the mattress you are comparing it to is the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams latex here (they have several other latex hybrid mattresses). If this is the case then the base foam layer is 1.8 lb density.

The underlying premise of your question is that the only difference between these mattresses is an additional 1" of latex but there are several other differences between them all of which could contribute to any differences you may feel between each mattress in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences).

Every layer and component in a mattress including the cover and any quilting material in the cover will have an effect on the layers and components both above and below it and on the mattress “as a whole”. This includes the type and blend of the latex layers, the thickness of each layer, and the firmness of each layer.

The #BestMattressEver includes a cotton cover quilted with less than an inch of polyfoam, 2" of Blended Talalay latex, 2" of synthetic continuous pour Dunlop latex, and a 6" 2 lb polyfoam base layer. The firmness of the latex layers would depend on the firmness you chose for the mattress.

The Ultimate Dreams Latex includes a cotton cover quilted with about 1.5" of polyfoam, a 3" layer of blended Talalay latex, and a 6" 1.8 lb polyfoam base layer. The firmness of the latex would depend on the firmness choice you made.

Different body types and sleeping styles can also affect which of the layers you will tend to “feel” as well and there are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can have very different opinions about how two mattresses compare to each other. In other words … there are too many differences between them and too many variables involved to be able to predict how they would compare for any specific person based on the specs of each mattress alone.

There are also some other differences between them than could affect the “value” of each mattress relative to different people as well and the information in this post and this post may be helpful but the primary differences outside of the materials in each mattress is the cost and the trial period and return policy which can both be important parts of each person’s personal value equation and the “value” of a mattress purchase.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would certainly include both of the “sister” manufacturers you listed) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which you have) and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design (which they don’t) and if at this point there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thanks for the great reply. I mixed up as I thought all the DreamFoam beds were 2 lb, but I see that the Ultimate Dreams Latex (the entry-level model) is only 1.8 lbs… so just bad reading comprehension on my part. I also didn’t realize the DF model had some foam in the quilting. After spending much time researching (a lot of it spend being frustrated!) I can completely understand your comment from one of the last threads you linked to:

“The bad news is that even with good or great mattresses to choose between final choices are not always easy to make … especially when it involves a combination of objective, subjective, and intangible factors that can be difficult to attach a “value” to or when the differences in “value” between them seems very small.”

Hi levelcaller,

You are certainly looking at two great quality/value choices and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … as difficult as your final decision may be :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Levelcaller,
I have the BME and a few others (4) from DreamFoam – I love it.
The problem is all of their stuff is good. I think the BME (Though not the most expensive one) is my favorite. I can’t really explain in detail like Phoenix but I can say that I’m a side and sometimes back sleeper and the BME just works. I believe the Talay-to-Dunlap is a great transition to the base: Soft but becomes more firm.

IMHO…When in doubt pick the one with the best return policy.

No matter your choice I know the product is quality (Even the less expensive products) and the other products they sell are a good value for the money (Sheets) and the pillows are totally awesome – supportive without making you sweat. The part I can’t possibly know is your personal preference…that one is not the same for everyone.

Good luck and sleep well,
Jeff

After purchasing BB old memory foam mattress years ago I was sad to see they discontinued them… Having some back issues a good supportive mattress is what I need. I purchased the medium which was too soft. Being a back/side sleeper my mid section was sinking causing my back to arch. I’m only 145 lbs too. I then purchased the firm which was better but it was too hard, I could feel the pressure points. I purchased a 2 inch gel memory foam topper to help with that but my back is still killing me every morning. I miss my full memory mattress :frowning: I will need to find another solution and return both of these unfortunately.

I love BB the company is awesome and the return policy is also the reason why I purchased from them. If anyone has any suggestions for a great cost effective memory foam solution I am all ears.