Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

Hi levelcaller,

I edited #BestBedEver to #BestMattressEver which is the mattress being discussed in this topic and I’m assuming is what you meant. I’m also assuming that the mattress you are comparing it to is the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams latex here (they have several other latex hybrid mattresses). If this is the case then the base foam layer is 1.8 lb density.

The underlying premise of your question is that the only difference between these mattresses is an additional 1" of latex but there are several other differences between them all of which could contribute to any differences you may feel between each mattress in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences).

Every layer and component in a mattress including the cover and any quilting material in the cover will have an effect on the layers and components both above and below it and on the mattress “as a whole”. This includes the type and blend of the latex layers, the thickness of each layer, and the firmness of each layer.

The #BestMattressEver includes a cotton cover quilted with less than an inch of polyfoam, 2" of Blended Talalay latex, 2" of synthetic continuous pour Dunlop latex, and a 6" 2 lb polyfoam base layer. The firmness of the latex layers would depend on the firmness you chose for the mattress.

The Ultimate Dreams Latex includes a cotton cover quilted with about 1.5" of polyfoam, a 3" layer of blended Talalay latex, and a 6" 1.8 lb polyfoam base layer. The firmness of the latex would depend on the firmness choice you made.

Different body types and sleeping styles can also affect which of the layers you will tend to “feel” as well and there are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can have very different opinions about how two mattresses compare to each other. In other words … there are too many differences between them and too many variables involved to be able to predict how they would compare for any specific person based on the specs of each mattress alone.

There are also some other differences between them than could affect the “value” of each mattress relative to different people as well and the information in this post and this post may be helpful but the primary differences outside of the materials in each mattress is the cost and the trial period and return policy which can both be important parts of each person’s personal value equation and the “value” of a mattress purchase.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would certainly include both of the “sister” manufacturers you listed) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which you have) and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design (which they don’t) and if at this point there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thanks for the great reply. I mixed up as I thought all the DreamFoam beds were 2 lb, but I see that the Ultimate Dreams Latex (the entry-level model) is only 1.8 lbs… so just bad reading comprehension on my part. I also didn’t realize the DF model had some foam in the quilting. After spending much time researching (a lot of it spend being frustrated!) I can completely understand your comment from one of the last threads you linked to:

“The bad news is that even with good or great mattresses to choose between final choices are not always easy to make … especially when it involves a combination of objective, subjective, and intangible factors that can be difficult to attach a “value” to or when the differences in “value” between them seems very small.”

Hi levelcaller,

You are certainly looking at two great quality/value choices and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … as difficult as your final decision may be :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Levelcaller,
I have the BME and a few others (4) from DreamFoam – I love it.
The problem is all of their stuff is good. I think the BME (Though not the most expensive one) is my favorite. I can’t really explain in detail like Phoenix but I can say that I’m a side and sometimes back sleeper and the BME just works. I believe the Talay-to-Dunlap is a great transition to the base: Soft but becomes more firm.

IMHO…When in doubt pick the one with the best return policy.

No matter your choice I know the product is quality (Even the less expensive products) and the other products they sell are a good value for the money (Sheets) and the pillows are totally awesome – supportive without making you sweat. The part I can’t possibly know is your personal preference…that one is not the same for everyone.

Good luck and sleep well,
Jeff

After purchasing BB old memory foam mattress years ago I was sad to see they discontinued them… Having some back issues a good supportive mattress is what I need. I purchased the medium which was too soft. Being a back/side sleeper my mid section was sinking causing my back to arch. I’m only 145 lbs too. I then purchased the firm which was better but it was too hard, I could feel the pressure points. I purchased a 2 inch gel memory foam topper to help with that but my back is still killing me every morning. I miss my full memory mattress :frowning: I will need to find another solution and return both of these unfortunately.

I love BB the company is awesome and the return policy is also the reason why I purchased from them. If anyone has any suggestions for a great cost effective memory foam solution I am all ears.

Hi reflexbug,

I’m sorry to hear that the mattresses you chose didn’t work out as well as you hoped for.

I was looking through your earlier posts on the forum and at that time you were looking at softer memory foam mattresses similar to the cloud luxe so it’s possible that the soft version would have been a more suitable choice to keep your spine in good alignment over the course of the night (although of course latex is very different from memory foam in any firmness range). Don’t forget that in your lower weight range and side and back sleeping positions it’s very possible that firmer mattresses with firmer comfort layers may not provide the more even and contouring support you need to “fill in the gaps” in your body profile such as your waist and lower back.

Unfortunately it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress. There are just too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Having said that … post #12 here includes the list of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of (including Dreamfoam which is Brooklyn Bedding’s sister company).

Phoenix

It’s been over a month since I posted my initial impressions of the BBBME medium Queen… I am still impressed by its quality & reliability. As a side sleeper I find the support to be excellent, none of the uneven sinking in feeling I had experienced with a previous online mattress. As for customer service, that too has been excellent & prompt. Mario immediately responded to my recent inquiry regarding a promotion I saw online & honored it. Seriously this is a company that truly cares about their customers’ sleeping experiences.,

Hi Loiroi,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s great to hear that your mattress is working out so well for you.

Phoenix

Well we are right about at our 30 trial period. I know we get 120 days but after a few days we already had issues with it being just too firm. Especially for my wife. Well its now 30 days and I contacted brooklyn bedding via their chat line and explained my problem with Mario. He suggested a mattress topper. I realy didnt feel like spending more money on a bed after I already spend 950 on this king bed. But to my surprise he said they would supply us with the topper for free. Not sure of the quality of the topper or anything but I do appreciated the offer.
Anyone have any experience with the topper they offer.? And any idea what the quality of the topper is and how long they last?

Hi kgressler,

[quote]But to my surprise he said they would supply us with the topper for free. Not sure of the quality of the topper or anything but I do appreciated the offer.
Anyone have any experience with the topper they offer.? And any idea what the quality of the topper is and how long they last? [/quote]

Thanks for the update :slight_smile:

I don’t know the specifics of their topper but they should be able to tell you if you ask them.

It would certainly be worth a try and if a mattress/topper combination turns out to be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP then having a separate topper also has the advantage of being able to replace just the topper without replacing the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down before the upper layers in the mattress (which is very likely because the upper layers of a sleeping system tend to soften or break down before the deeper layers) or if your needs or preferences change over time.

Phoenix

Ordered a full soft BME Friday morning and it shipped out that day. Received 5% and free pillow/sheets. I chatted with Mario through the website and he was great to work with. He suggested soft for my daughter and said that their mattresses are typically a little firmer than other mattresses rated soft, medium and firm. The mattress arrived this morning(Wednesday) and took about 5 minutes to setup. I’m really impressed with how quickly the mattress arrived. The mattress expanded very quickly. It has been about 15 minutes and I can’t imagine it getting much bigger. There is very little smell. I have a sensitive nose and you really have to put your face in the mattress to smell anything (update: definitely a stronger smell now that I walk back in the room. I’ll update tomorrow and see if it’s still there). I’m sure it will be fine in a couple of days. I haven’t taken the sheets out yet but the pillow really surprised me. It’s really a nice pillow and I might have to order one for myself. I just purchased a Cozy Pure latex pillow but I need something a little firmer to go under it and the Brooklyn pillow might be perfect. The bed did feel soft to me but I also weigh three times what my daughter weighs. I would definitely go with a medium for myself but the soft was still supportive and comfortable. I’ll try to update in a month after we’ve had a chance to sleep on it for awhile. So far from start to finish I’m happy with our decision to go with the BME and Brooklyn Bedding.

Hi stuuke,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to update on my experience with Brooklyn Bedding’s Best Mattress Ever. So far, so good. I am loving this bed. It’s plush, and comfy, yet firm and solid. I have tried out so many beds and I am genuinely impressed with the quality of this bed, especially considering it’s low price. It’s an exceptional value.

I am very pleased with my purchase(BME, Queen, Medium) and will happily recommend this bed to anyone shopping for a bed. It has that plush top feel but you can just tell this bed will last. The side-sitting is not as much of an issue for me as I first thought… I have adapted my ways as laying out on this bed beats sitting on the side any time. I am also considering a lower profile bedframe- one that sits an inch or two closer to the floor would get my feet a little flatter on the floor. This has only become an issue since I had double knee replacement surgery last June and putting on shoes is not as easy as it used to be.

If I had one issue, it’s that I was offered no freebies - no pillows, no sheets - with my purchase of this bed. I have read many other comments from others who are enjoying not only their wonderful BME but also the sheets and/or pillows that they received gratis. Not sure why I was not offered the goodies.

Anyway, it’s still an awesome bed. Well made, sleeps like a dream. I love it!

M.

Hi sinistre,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update with your comments and feedback … I appreciate it.

It’s great to hear that your mattress choice is working out so well for you.

They have different promotions at different times but you could certainly call them and ask if any of them should have applied to your purchase.

Phoenix

sinistre, Just give them a call. I saw the offer on their facebook page but it was no longer showing up in my cart so they just added it after my order.

First of all, thanks to Phoenix for the incredible information this website provides. Second, thanks to all of you who provided feedback on the BME.

I just ordered a king medium. I chatted with Mario and he said they were out of the promo sheets; however, he did add a shredded latex pillow from a promotion that ended a few days ago on top of the current 5% promo. Looking forward to trying it out.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up purchasing … and congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

As you know you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Something I’m curious about… assuming BB had used dunlop latex for all of the support core instead of the polyfoam/dunlop combination they went with, how would that change the mattress? I’m talking in both durability and the way it feels when you lay on it. It seems that all latex mattresses are more expensive than latex/foam mattresses like this one; I assume that an all latex core would last longer, but not sure how the feel would change.

Hi worknman,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own with a different title because it was more of a general question about mattress design than about the BME.

The BME uses Talalay latex in the top layer and synthetic dunlop in the transition layer so I’m assuming that you are asking about what would happen if they replaced the polyfoam support core with a Dunlop latex support core of some type…

It’s not really possible to answer your question specifically because it would depend on the blend of Dunlop that was used, and on the thickness and firmness of the Dunlop as well along with your body type and sleeping style and on how sensitive you are to differences in the deeper layers of a mattress.

Some people may not notice much difference at all while others would notice a significant difference but there is more about the general differences between an all latex mattress and a latex/poplyfoam hybrid in post #2 here.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=64249]Hi worknman,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own with a different title because it was more of a general question about mattress design than about the BME.[/quote]

Ah, okay. Was wondering what happened to that post :slight_smile: lol

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I placed an order for the BME. If what you say about polyfoam densities is accurate, I’m in the low 200’s, so I think the polyfoam core will be sufficient for me.