Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

Hi sinistre,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update with your comments and feedback … I appreciate it.

It’s great to hear that your mattress choice is working out so well for you.

They have different promotions at different times but you could certainly call them and ask if any of them should have applied to your purchase.

Phoenix

sinistre, Just give them a call. I saw the offer on their facebook page but it was no longer showing up in my cart so they just added it after my order.

First of all, thanks to Phoenix for the incredible information this website provides. Second, thanks to all of you who provided feedback on the BME.

I just ordered a king medium. I chatted with Mario and he said they were out of the promo sheets; however, he did add a shredded latex pillow from a promotion that ended a few days ago on top of the current 5% promo. Looking forward to trying it out.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up purchasing … and congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

As you know you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Something I’m curious about… assuming BB had used dunlop latex for all of the support core instead of the polyfoam/dunlop combination they went with, how would that change the mattress? I’m talking in both durability and the way it feels when you lay on it. It seems that all latex mattresses are more expensive than latex/foam mattresses like this one; I assume that an all latex core would last longer, but not sure how the feel would change.

Hi worknman,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own with a different title because it was more of a general question about mattress design than about the BME.

The BME uses Talalay latex in the top layer and synthetic dunlop in the transition layer so I’m assuming that you are asking about what would happen if they replaced the polyfoam support core with a Dunlop latex support core of some type…

It’s not really possible to answer your question specifically because it would depend on the blend of Dunlop that was used, and on the thickness and firmness of the Dunlop as well along with your body type and sleeping style and on how sensitive you are to differences in the deeper layers of a mattress.

Some people may not notice much difference at all while others would notice a significant difference but there is more about the general differences between an all latex mattress and a latex/poplyfoam hybrid in post #2 here.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=64249]Hi worknman,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own with a different title because it was more of a general question about mattress design than about the BME.[/quote]

Ah, okay. Was wondering what happened to that post :slight_smile: lol

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I placed an order for the BME. If what you say about polyfoam densities is accurate, I’m in the low 200’s, so I think the polyfoam core will be sufficient for me.

Hi worknman,

It would certainly be sufficient in terms of durability because there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress relative to your (or any) weight range but of course all the materials and components in a mattress (including the cover and quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of all the other layers and components both above and below it and the mattress “as a whole” so the only way to know for certain whether a mattress with a specific combination of layers and components will be a good choice for you in terms of “comfort” firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) and how well you will sleep on it will be based on your actual experience.

Having said that … you certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’;m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Update:

Well after 4 weeks my wife just wasnt happy. I talked with one of the reps “Mario” via their online chat and told him about the issue she had with the bed being too firm. He suggested trying a topper. I really wasnt very interested to doing this but figured they offered to send us one free of charge so why not. After 3 weeks with the topper we decided it just wasnt what we wanted. It did help soften the mattress some. But I just dont like the look of having a $100 topper on a bed I spent $1000 and then having to purchase a new topper every few years.
I contacted them last week about returning the bed and it was hassle free…So far. Its scheduled to be picked up this afternoon. Once its picked up I need to contact them to let them know and they will refund my CC.
Not sure what our next move is. We are considering trying the soft version once the refund gets applied.
I wouldn’t hesitate recommending them to anyone looking for a bed…The medium just wasnt the right bed for us.

kgressler,

If it helps any, I bought the soft mattress. So far I haven’t experienced any pain like I had with the Leesa. I had a topper on my old bed that was really soft. When I went to this it was a bit firmer but still soft…and the most important part is I don’t wake up in the middle of the night with any pain.

Hi kgressler,

Thanks for the update.

I’m sorry to hear that your firmness choice didn’t work out for you as well as you hoped for but the good news is that you had the foresight to choose a mattress that has a great return policy so you could try out the mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom without any risk. As you know the only way to know for certain whether any mattress will be a suitable choice for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience when you sleep on it so the return or exchange policy for an online choice would generally be a more important part of each person’s personal value equation.

A good quality topper will generally last more than just a “few” years and if a mattress/topper combination is a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP then having a separate topper has the advantage of being able to replace just the topper without replacing the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down before the upper foam layers in the mattress (which is very likely because the upper layers of a sleeping system tend to soften or break down before the deeper layers) or if your needs or preferences change over time. A suitable topper can also help extend the useful life of the mattress underneath it because it will absorb some of the compression forces that can soften or break down the top layers of the mattress underneath it over time.

Of course this would be a moot point if you don’t like the mattress/topper combination and regardless of any advantages or disadvantages of any type of “sleeping system” (such as having “just a mattress” or a mattress/topper combination) … different people can have very different preferences and criteria relative to all the many parts of their personal value equation that are most important to them.

Phoenix

Hi npolite,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update as well.

It’s great to hear that your choice is working out well for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

After sleeping on my new medium firm BME for a few nights, here are my thoughts. Before I begin, I am a 5’11, 210lb male and was rocking a 10yo innerspring mattress with this memory topper:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AR5X92/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(The exact same one that another poster in this thread had.)

When I unboxed the BME and laid on it, first thing I thought was ‘wow, this is really firm’. So much so that I assume they just replace the quilted cover with a slab of plywood on the firm version :stuck_out_tongue: I had laid on a latex mattress locally which was a ‘luxury retreat firm’ - it felt nice, if a little hard. So I thought this medium firm mattress would be a bit softer than that, but it doesn’t appear to be so. (Keep in mind though that I traditionally prefer soft mattresses, so it might not feel as firm to you as it does to me.)

That being said, although I’m not exactly comfortable laying on it, I toss and turn a lot less and wake up less stiff than I did on my old mattress, so this is actually an improvement over what I had. I’m not sure if I’m going to keep it yet… will at least ride it out through the 30-day initial break-in period and see how it feels. For the time being though, at least it feels good enough to sleep on without a lot of soreness, and it seems like a solid mattress for what they ask for it.

One thing I’ve noticed recently is that I prefer firmer mattresses as I’ve gotten older. After 10 years on your last one you may be noticing the same thing. It sounds a lot like what I experienced.

The thing about the medium bme is that it’ll feel a lot firmer during the first couple weeks than what it ends up being. If you can stand it, definitely wait a month before making up you mind.

Hi worknman,

Thanks for the update.

Based on your comments about how you are sleeping and how your “symptoms” have improved it certainly sounds like you made the most suitable choice in terms of firmness and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences). I would keep in mind that posture and alignment is the most important factor in how well and how deeply you will sleep followed by pressure relief followed by any other more subjective preferences you may have.

As you also mentioned there will be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as the mattress loses any of it’s initial “false firmness” and the cover stretches and loosens a little and the materials settle and your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here). This would typically be a few weeks but it can be shorter or longer depending on the specifics of the person and the mattress (higher density materials like latex can take longer) and it can be surprising to many people how much their sleeping experience can change over the course of the first month or so.

I’m looking forward to any additional updates you have the chance to share.

Phoenix

That’s encouraging to hear, and I’ll definitely sleep on it for at least 30 days, probably longer.

One thing I forgot to mention is that this mattress sleeps cooler than the memory foam topper I have. This is a big reason I wanted to try out latex, as I tend to sleep hot. I very much enjoy the ‘sinking in’ feeling that memory foam offers, but I don’t enjoy waking up roasting in the middle of the night.

So far, I’m able to keep the temp in my apartment 1 degree warmer than usual. And during these hot Texas summers, if this mattress manages to last a decade or longer, it might go a long way toward paying for itself :slight_smile:

Aonian,

Thank you for this post, I wish I had read it before purchasing.

I too had a similar problem with my Medium BME, and found myself sleeping in a jacknife position, which led to crippling mornings after. I am 6 foot male weighing 230 lbs.

Like you I ws interested in a firm but theBB rep strongly pushed a medium and I regret it. They will be taking mine back.

I haven’t gotten through the return experience, but hopefully it will be better than yours.

Hi Royce,

While you certainly made a great quality/value choice … I’m sorry to hear that the firmness level you chose didn’t work out as well as you hoped for.

Their firmness suggestions have the best chance of success based on the averages of other customers that are similar to you in terms of their body type and sleeping positions and in the large majority of situations it would be the most suitable choice but there will always be some cases that are “outside the averages” with any online purchase so it’s unfortunate that you were one of the few. Of course this is also the reason that a good return policy can be an important part of any online purchase.

Aonian is the only member I’ve seen that had any delays or issues in returning their mattress and this was likely because they had only been available for a few months at the time and hadn’t had a return from that area previously (their post is almost a year old) so you certainly shouldn’t have any issues returning your mattress.

Phoenix

You know I was told the same thing by the sales team with BB and read it here. But this was definitely not what happened in my case… It never softened up.
The bed itself seems like a quality bed and I enjoyed it but it was just way too firm.
They finally picked the bed up from from us 3 days ago and was contacted by Mario that our credit has been applied. Haven’t seen it on our card as of yet but hopefully in the next day or so it will show up.

kgressler, where do you plan to go from here? Are you gonna try the soft version?