Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

Hi IronLeg,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback after 6 months … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and it’s great to see that your medium BME worked out so well for both of you.

Phoenix

Thank you for clarifying Mario.

After spending many hours on TMU doing the research necessary to inform myself of what goes into a mattress, I finally decided to give Brooklyn Bedding a try. Luckily, I am local to the Phoenix, Arizona area and can visit them in-store. I set up the appointment with Mario and tried out their soft and medium #BME options. As a 208lb side sleeper the soft really did a great job of relieving pressure points while supporting me. The medium was too firm for me and really jammed my arm up. I know from experience that after an hour like that it was going to make it go numb. Ordered the bed with a 5% discount and free sheets.

Four days later, bed arrived. It’s truly strange to see a queen bed packed into a 4 x 1 roll! Anyway after we got it expanded, the bed did have some smell but that went away quickly enough that I didn’t even notice it that night at bedtime. Been sleeping on it for two months now and wow! what a difference a bed can make. So pleased to go to bed, even look forward to it because I know I can snuggle up somethin’ fierce in a bed that is fantastic for my PPP…

There is one caveat perhaps…Because the soft does allow me to sink down in, despite Latex being ‘cool;’ on the scale, it becomes hot for me over time. This is likely due to the hot Phoenix summer, my own hot sleeping and the additional sinkage allowed by a softer ILD which reduces the airflow and increases foam contact with my skin. I’ve combated this with the addition of another fan directed right on me and minimal covers. It works.

In conclusion, so glad to have a great mattress and happy to know that it will last for a long time.

*Note: I have a pebble pique 100% cotton mattress protector from Cozypure, so it’s not the protector trapping heat as we all know can happen from semi-permeable membrane style ones.

Hi Brett,

Thanks for taking the time to come back and let us know what you ended up deciding and for sharing your comments and feedback as well … I appreciate it.

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You were fortunate that you were able to test their different firmness levels locally and it sounds like it helped you make a firmness choice that works great for you.

[quote]There is one caveat perhaps…Because the soft does allow me to sink down in, despite Latex being ‘cool;’ on the scale, it becomes hot for me over time. This is likely due to the hot Phoenix summer, my own hot sleeping and the additional sinkage allowed by a softer ILD which reduces the airflow and increases foam contact with my skin. I’ve combated this with the addition of another fan directed right on me and minimal covers. It works.

In conclusion, so glad to have a great mattress and happy to know that it will last for a long time.

*Note: I have a pebble pique 100% cotton mattress protector from Cozypure, so it’s not the protector trapping heat as we all know can happen from semi-permeable membrane style ones. [/quote]

As you mentioned softer mattresses in combination with higher weight ranges will allow you to sink in more which along with other factors such as Phoenix’s heat can lead to temperature regulation issues for some people even with the breathability of latex.

You certainly chose a great mattress protector that wouldn’t be contributing to your heat issues and it’s good to see that the extra fan and minimal blankets have solved the heat issue.

Just for reference … I don’t know what type of sheets you are using but the type of sheets you use can also make a difference with temperature regulation. Sheets that are made from natural fibers such as cotton, silk, or flax linen or from different types of rayon/viscose fabrics (such as rayon from bamboo) that are more breathable and are good at wicking moisture away from the skin can also help with temperature regulation as well (flax linen in particular). Your face and head is also a major part of how your body regulates temperature and a cooler pillow can sometimes make a surprising difference in how warm you sleep as well.

Phoenix

You’re absolutely right about the covers. I chose the L.L. Bean 280 Percale Weave 100% cotton and they have proven to be very light and breathable.

As for pillows, before learning at TMU about memory foam’s heat retention tendencies I tried a shredded memory foam pillow covered with a cotton pillowcase and (unsurprisingly) woke up with my face sweating. By contrast, my current generic polyester fiber filled pillow covered with a 300 count cotton pillowcase has never given me any similar sweating issues. Eventually, I would like to give a low loft shredded latex pillow a shot and see how it behaves during Arizona’s summer months. Any posts that I could review that discuss those in more detail?

Hi Brett,

There are many manufacturers that make shredded latex pillows (including Dreamfoam which is Brooklyn Bedding’s sister company) but I don’t keep a list of specific pillows and there isn’t a post that lists the many different shredded latex pillow options that are available in the market. Having said that … there is some good information about choosing pillows in the pillow topic here and the other topics and sources of information that it links to that may be helpful (including some links to topics about shredded latex or lanoodle pillows). Forum searches on shredded latex pillow or on lanoodles pillow will bring up many more posts and topics that mention them as well. There are also a number of shredded latex or lanoodle pillows with a zip cover that allows you to add or remove the shredded latex or lanoodles fill so you can customize the pillow to your specific needs and preferences that may be worth considering as well.

Phoenix.

After EXTENSIVE online research I went with the Brooklyn Bedding medium and I’m so happy I did! In all of the expert reviews I read, it was rated higher than the Casper, and comes at a better bargain too! They offered three firmness options, and I went with the medium–which I’ve found to be a really nice level, even for a side sleeper like me. My favorite part though is the low motion transfer, which has improved my experience sharing a bed with my boyfriend 100%! Great service on top of everything made this an all around great shopping experience.

Hi mmarti10,

Thanks for taking the time to register and letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know you certainly made a great quality/value choice and now that you’ve also had a chance to sleep on it it’s also good to hear that you are happy with your choice in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) as well.

Phoenix

When I moved to my new place, it was time to purchase a new mattress. I went to multiple mattress stores and wasn’t sold on the prices the sales persons were offering. I then discovered a blog, Sleepopolis. Read up on the reviews and figured I give Brooklyn Bedding a try for the following reasons

1. They offered a soft mattress
  2. They were reasonably priced
  3. They had great online reviews
  4. Their customer service is excellent

Delivery: Mattress was delivered on time

Unpacking: Simple and no chemical scent

Overall, I love the mattress!

Hi anon11675,

You can see my comments about the Sleepopolis Blog (and many other similar “review sites” which are really just revenue sites) in post #11 here and in posts #4 and #6 here but the good news is that you ended up buying a great quality/value mattress in spite of the somewhat questionable information there … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to any additional updates you have the chance to share over time.

Phoenix

Had the mattress for a few months now and it’s been great. It has just the right amount of give to it, but you don’t sink I and feel stuck like some of the memory foam mattresses we tried in the stores. Set up was easy and have been enjoying it from night one. And the pillows are great too!

We have had our mattress for 5 months now and we love it! We have the medium firm and it had been perfect. We look forward to going to bed every night. We recommended Brooklyn Bedding to another couple and they bought a mattress the same day!

I’ve had my queen sized BME for about 5 months and my partner and I both loved it instantly. I am a side sleeper and have historically had issues with shoulder pain and numb hands from sleeping on every conventional mattress I’ve ever owned. I’ve always preferred a soft mattress to aloe coated shoulder pressure. My partner is a back and side sleeper, and has historically preferred a more firm bed, but is less picky than I am about it. We went with the BME soft mattress knowing that we could exchange it it it was too soft for him and figured we’d probably end up with a medium as a compromise. It turned out that we both slept way better and had less shoulder and back pain with the soft. For whatever reason he loves it as much as I do and his body feels good sleeping on it, even though he was sure it would be too soft. We are both incredibly pleased. He also got the “best pillow ever” in “firm” and loves that. I find it to be too bouncy and can’t quite get comfortable on it, but he swears by it. Overall we are extremely happy with our purchase, and it was a great deal for what we’ve gotten out of it. I don’t find the sides to be too squishy either, which I was concerned about. It’s fine to sit in the edge of.

Hi Bosak and Hayley1224,

Thanks to both of you for letting us know what you ended up deciding and for sharing your comments and feedback after 5 months as well … I appreciate it.

As you both know you certainly made great quality/value choices … and congratulations on your new mattresses :slight_smile:

Now that you are both past the initial break in and adjustment period it’s great to hear that you are both happy with the choices you made and because of the quality and durability of the materials it would be reasonable to expect that you will continue to sleep well for many more years as well.

Phoenix

I purchased the medium firmness for a Brooklyn Bedding mattress, and it proved to be very comfortable. I’ve had it for a 6 months and am very pleased with it. As someone who liked to lean a little bit on the softer side, it was nice that “medium” had a comfy feel while also providing support. (As a side note, I really enjoyed their pillow as well.)

Hi Trinculos,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback after 6 months … and congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi everyone,

I’ve had my brooklyn bedding mattress for a few months now and absolutely love it. After a month or so of research, side by side comparisons, multiple review sites, and half a dozen mattress store visits we settled for brooklyn bedding. There was a great sale going on and we got a queen size mattress and two pillows for around $725. The biggest down side is that this mattress is 20 to 30 pounds heavier than the competition but they do not skimp on shipping and the delivery person actually lugged the box up 3 flights of stairs for us. I had to bring it up to our loft space myself but it’s a very manageable weight and size for your average guy. Unboxing the mattress on the loft was a breeze and it was good to go minutes later. This can’t be beat for the price. Paying 3x for a tempurpedic and the like is just silly. I tested multiple expensive mattresses and can’t feel a noticeable difference. My old roommate dropped almost $3k on his and it’s heavier, bulkier, hard to move, and arguably is not any more comfortable for your average sleeper. I’ve also tried some $300-400 mattresses from discount sites like woot but they are stiffer and flimsy from my experience. Good for a guest bed, but not what I’d sleep on nightly.
Tl;dr: Brooklyn bedding mattresses are the best bang for your buck in the online mattress world and absolutely blow the competition out of the water in the mattress retail space. Try them out because if you hate it, you can send it back, but you won’t.
Feel free to send me any questions you might have. Cheers.

Hi Yuriychi,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Our conventional mattress had reached the end of its useful life. It had a five year warranty and started sagging/being uncomfortable right around the five-year mark so it was time to shop around for a new mattress.

Given that we hadn’t been thrilled with any of our previous spring mattresses, I convinced my wife we should give an “alternative” foam mattress a try. After all, the top foam brands all had generous, risk-free trial periods so we figured we didn’t have anything to lose.

The first thing we did was to make a list of all the brands we had seen advertised and heard about from friends. That list consisted of:

Casper
Tuft & Needle
Leesa

Then, we talked to each of our friends who had recommended these brands to us about their experience with them. They all really enjoyed their mattresses, so we turned to Google for more opinions.

What we found was a whole lot of contradicting opinions. But, luckily, what we also found was an introduction to additional brands. One of those happened to be Brooklyn Bedding and its #BestMattressEver via a Sleepopolis review. We liked what we read. Not only via the reviews, but also via the content on their site. It was clean and well-organized, making it easy to get the answers to our questions, e.g.: What type of foam? Loopholes that would negate a “risk-free” trial (there were none)? Warranty and how hard it would be get them to honor it (comparable guarantee and seemingly similar process to the other brands we were considering)? How firm is “firm” and what would be the best choice for our sleeping styles?

Rather than agonizing about the decision for another couple of weeks over which mattress to choose, Brooklyn Bedding happened to be running a St. Patrick’s day promotion so we went ahead and made the purchase and selected a “Medium”. Our plan was to try it out and if we didn’t like it, return it and move onto our second choice brand that we had come across during our research (Yoga Bed).

It arrived per the promised delivery schedule, was easy to unpack, expanded to its full capacity overnight, and was ready for us to try out the very next day. We had read online and heard from our friends to expect to have some back stiffness and/or aches in the morning due to a typical adjustment period moving from a spring mattress to a foam mattress. Much to our delight and surprise, that was not the case. It could just be that our previous mattress was so terrible, but we woke up ache-free and refreshed. We thought that the adjustment period might come the following night or some time after, but we’ve been sleeping on this wonderful mattress for over 100 days with nothing but good things to say about it.

Needless to say, we’re past the 100 day evaluation period, but I was ready to find a flaw–anything. My main fear was that it would “sleep hot” as I had read online foam mattresses tend to do. But that hasn’t been the case. Turns out, we love it. It’s the perfect amount of plush for us, not too squishy so that you feel like you’re drowning, but not too firm so that it feels like there’s no enveloping give.

Of course mattress preference is very personal and particular, but if you’re in the market for a foam mattress, we’d say definitely put the #BestMattressEver on your list of consideration.

Hi jsamson,

You can see my comments about the Sleepopolis Site (and many other similar so called “review sites” which are really just revenue sites that know little about mattresses or mattress materials) in post #11 here and in posts #4 and #6 here but the good news is that you ended up buying a great quality/value mattress in spite of the somewhat questionable information there.

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix