Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

Purchased a King sized medium mattress from BB about 3 months ago. It arrived on time and in great shape. What an easy way to purchase a bed, no showroom shenanigans!

Was able to quickly get it in position and remove it from the packaging and let it “inflate” for an hour or so before using. Was concerned it might smell but happy to say there was no odor issue at all.

Love the fabric and design and our deal came with pillows as well.

As for the performance now that we have had some time. The bed is a great value for the money. As I get older, I find I appreciate a plusher experience and this mattress is not plush by design, however we are very happy with the quality and firmness without being hard. Support is great and it is not showing any sign of sagging.

Bang for the buck is fantastic. I did my research and would definitely buy again!

Hi jslice,

Thanks for sharing your comments and feedback about your new mattress.

Like the other members that have purchased it you certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I was super overwhelmed when I started looking into a new mattress earlier this year, I had no idea there were so many kinds. I stumbled across BB and I’m so glad I did. The online reps were super responsive and helpful in determining what firmness was right for me. They also helped me choose a bed spring and cover.

I love this mattress, its so comfortable. I also bought a pillow and sheets while I was at it and I’m very happy with those as well.

I was a little worried because I have two dogs that sleep with me but I’ve had the mattress about 4 months now and its holding up great. I don’t think its any different then the day I bought it .

To answer the questions in the original post =
I went with medium firmness because I had the same concerns… if you sit on the very very edge it does sink a little bit. But if the back of your knees hit the edge while sitting then the mattress supports you fine.
It was the right choice for me because I’m a side and back sleeper.

You could totally get away with putting boards in your frame as long as they are closer then 3 inches.

Hi amay13,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … and congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

It appears they’ve recently made a change in the base foam of the mattress. According to Sleepopolis:

‘They moved from a convoluted base foam to a standard full core base foam. Some sleepers on the extreme may notice a slight difference in cooling (mostly if you’re very heavy). And edge support is also very slightly better in the new version. But beyond that, the differences were so small they weren’t really worth going into.’

Now, I know how this site feels about Sleepopolis, so that’s why I’m posting it here to see if Phoenix has heard anything in this regard :slight_smile:

Hi worknman,

There are some comments about the change in posts #3 and #4 here.

It’s unlikely to make any significant difference in cooling because the convoluted foam was under 4" of latex and a quilted cover which are already breathable and “temperature neutral” components but it could make a small difference in edge support for some people that are in a higher weight range.

Phoenix

Okay, cool. Thought I would mention also that they’re once again running the special with the free pillows, so if you’re reading this and thinking about pulling the trigger on this mattress, now would be as good a time as any :slight_smile:

Just an update on my experience with the BB medium firm, after nearly 2 months of having it. For those who weren’t following along, the tl;dr version is that I liked the mattress (my first latex one), but thought it was a bit too firm.

I contacted BB and they sent me out a topper for it, which was a 2" memory foam topper from dream foam. (There were no specs on the box, so I dunno what the foam density is.) I appreciated that it softened up the mattress, but I think they spoiled me on latex because the memory foam felt too ‘squishy’, for lack of a better word.

After sleeping on the memory foam for a couple of weeks, I started developing some lower back pain, so I took the topper off and in a couple of days, the lower back pain was gone. So I just ordered a BME soft and plan to return the medium, unless I just don’t like the soft for some reason, then I’ll return the soft and try to sell the medium on Craigslist or something, once I’ve found another mattress to replace it with.

At any rate, I’ll post here with an update once the soft arrives and I’ve had a chance to sleep on it for a night or three :slight_smile:

I’d also like to say that Mario at BB has been very responsive and cooperative throughout this whole process.

Hi worknman,

Thanks for the update … and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback about the soft version once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Arrived yesterday, initial thoughts:

• returned Tuft & Needle - poor edge support
  • returned Leesa - slept hot

KING/MEDIUM
Packaging - holes in carton, tape was off; mattress undamaged
Instructions - none that I could find
Smell - very little
Immediate feel - “ah…”, noticeably more comfortable than the other two
Edge Support - about the same as the Tuft & Needle; Leesa was much better

Width - 74.5"; I measured to straight edge, not where quilted cover starts to curve. Others have mentioned that it’s short (supposed to be 76".). 1. will it expand more with time? 2. will I get better edge support with the Firm?

Height - 11.25", the specs indicate 10", so I suppose it doesn’t account for the quilted cover. This is important as I want dogs to jump from as little as possible distance.

Hi yazfan,

Thanks for sharing your comments and feedback on mattress #3 … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

As you know you made a great quality/value choice but of course that’s only meaningful if you sleep well on it so hopefully the BME will be a better “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP than your previous two mattresses.

Your mattress is about 1/2" out of spec in the width (see here) but it’s not unusual for a compressed mattress to take a few days to fully expand.

You will sink in less on a firm mattress than on a softer mattress so the edge would be firmer but the sleeping surface of the mattress would be firmer as well.

I’m looking forward to any additional updates you have the chance to share once you’ve spent a little more time sleeping on your mattress.

Phoenix

Hi Worknman,
I agree 100% that Mario is awesome (Customer service is priority). I want to mention that I am currently sleeping on a BME soft and loving it – 7 months now.
Before finding this site, latex and Brooklyn Bedding I was experiencing severe pain in my shoulders and back – I had to take pain killers every day but it didn’t help much. I am happy to report that this is just a bad memory as the pain is gone. The latex pillow and mattress from BB has been a blessing to me and greatly improved my quality of life.
Finally: Good luck to you and pleasant dreams,
Jeff

Does anyone know why this mattress seems to run short? I have found that comment mentioned a few times, yet a standard Queen should measure close to 60x80. I’m concerned that the loss of 4" would be annoying. Thoughts?

Hi KarenJ168,

I think you may be mistaking width for length because none of their mattresses would be 4" out of spec. A “standard” king size mattress is 76" x 79.5" +/- 1" so the 74.5" width that was mentioned in the earlier post was referring to the width of the king size not the length (which would be the same for a king and a queen). A “standard” size for a queen would be 60" x 79.5" +/- 1". You can read the the ISPA (International Sleep Products Association) standard sizing for mattresses in post #2 here.

When mattresses are compressed it can sometimes take a few days to regain their full dimensions and this would be more common with king size mattresses than other sizes because they are “squished” in width before they are compressed and roll packed (see their video here).

BB did have some issues with a small number of their mattresses not expanding back to their full size over a year ago (see the end of post #115 here) but that was related to the gluing and compression process itself and only applied to a very small percentage of their mattress that were made over a short period of time (usually in king size) so it’s possible that you were reading some comments from that time. It has long since been resolved and the few customers that received one would have been able to exchange their mattress for a new one.

If for some reason you were to receive a mattress that was clearly “out of spec” then they would certainly look after the issue for you and of course they also have a 120 day return policy so if you are unhappy with your mattress for any reason then you can just return it for a refund.

Phoenix

very satisfied user for over 6 months now. exceeded expectations and quite a bit improvement from my old mattress purchased from physical store.

Hi vshah,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up buying … and congratulations on your mattress as well :slight_smile:

It’s great to hear that you are happy 6 months after your purchase and with the quality and durability of the materials in the BME it would be reasonable to expect that you will be sleeping well for many years to come.

Phoenix

We bought the BestMattressEver about 5 months ago and positively adore it. We chose medium firmness, and I genuinely have zero regrets. So, the mattress itself is AMAZING. I will NEVER go back to any other mattress. The immediate response is fantastic when compared to memory foam. You don’t have that uncomfortable pause as you wait for the foam to conform to your body, its just instantly perfect in whatever position you take and no matter how many times you roll around. Also the “spring” this mattress has is wonderful. The craftsmanship is beautiful- its clearly well made. Thus far it has proven to be very durable as well- and we have two small children, a cat, and a coyote so durability is well tested with our family! As far as an adjustment period when we first got it- we had none. We didn’t experience any issues with that. In fact, the first week was probably the best sleep I’ve had in years and years lol. After getting used to the mattress I now sleep great every night. I experience less tossing and turning and get deeper sleep for longer periods of time. Its been fantabulous for back problems too. The company itself has been beyond amazing. Their customer service is second to none. They are quick to reply, friendly and knowledgeable. The shipping was very fast and it arrived undamaged. No complaints whatsoever. Hands down this is one of the smartest purchasing decisions we ever made. :cheer:

Hi Coyote,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you decided to purchase and for sharing your comments and feedback … I appreciate it.

As you know I think you certainly made a great quality/value choice and it’s great to hear that you are so happy with your mattress as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I got the soft on Friday and have been sleeping on it a few nights. I thought it might be too soft, but it actually turned out to be a little firmer than I had hoped, so I guess I must like really soft mattresses :slight_smile: Strange thing about it is that it doesn’t really feel softer than the medium, even though I can tell it is. By that, I mean that I’d usually sink further into memory foam the softer it was, but with this, it’s like my body exerts less pressure on it such that I feel about 25lbs lighter, if that makes sense.

On a purely subjective level, I’d rate the soft at a 7 - 7.5/10. It definitely feels more comfortable than the medium and supports my back a bit better, but it’s not quite my ‘Goldilocks’ mattress. Then again, I’ve only had it for 3 days; the medium did soften up a tad after I slept on it for a couple of months, so I’m going to reserve my final verdict for this one until I’ve slept on it at least that long. As of now though, I will probably return the medium and keep the soft. I haven’t decided whether I’ll keep the soft over the long haul, or decide to play ‘mattress roulette’ at some point in the future …

Hi worknman,

Thanks for sharing another update … I appreciate it. It certainly sounds like you prefer mattresses that are much softer than average.

What you are describing is the “feel” of latex which is a much more buoyant and resilient material than memory foam even in softer versions and has a more “on the mattress” feel vs memory foam which has a more “in the mattress” feel.

Once again I’m looking forward to any additional updates you have the chance to share once you’ve slept on it for a little longer and had the chance to go through the initial break in and adjustment period and come to your “final verdict”.

Phoenix