Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

Okay, I’m back with an update on the BME soft. A quick recap from my previous posts - got the BME medium and I found it was too firm for me, so traded for the soft, and my initial reaction was that it was softer than the medium, but still a little too firm. I’ve come back to give my impressions after sleeping on the soft for a couple of months.

About 3 weeks ago, I was ready to give it a subjective verdict of good. Not a fantastic mattress for me, but I liked it well enough to keep it. That is, until I started waking up in the mornings with a sharp pain in the middle part of my upper back. I always have to get up in the middle of the night to respond to nature’s call, and by then the pain is a dull ache. But by the time my alarm goes off, it feels like I’ve got a pinched nerve in my mid upper back. Generally, I take a hot bath and move around for a bit in the mornings, and it’s fine, so it isn’t hurting all day (yet). As of now, I’ve switched to sleeping on the couch for half the night, then crawling into bed after my middle of the night bathroom trip. I can handle sleeping on it for 4 hours (it’s more comfortable than the couch), but not 8.

So, now I guess I’m back to square 1, and not sure what to do :frowning: The bed feels pretty good when I first lay in it. I don’t have any trouble falling asleep, and really have no major complaints about it, except for this one issue. I’m terrible at troubleshooting these kinds of things - the best I can gather is that perhaps I’m not sinking down quite far enough and having to ‘twist’ a bit to get comfortable, causing some compression in my back/shoulders. But I’m really not sure.

BB sent me a memory foam topper to try out on the medium, which caused lower back pain. I wish I had kept it to try on this one, but I gave it away. So I’m thinking before I throw down for another mattress, perhaps it might be worth the effort to find a talalay latex topper with the lowest ILD I can find? I used to sleep on two pillows; I tried switching to a flatter, shredded foam pillow, but that didn’t really help.

Hi worknman,

Thanks again for your update. I’m sorry you’re having some more problems with your sleeping.

Was there anything that happened to you outside of sleeping (work, athletics) to which you could relate your pain? Sometimes something environmental can cause the “tweak” you described. But not necessarily.

You didn’t mention if you sleep upon your side, but I think you might from your description of twisting. If you think that you’re not sinking in enough, then a topper might be assistive, but a more supportive topper (as you mentioned latex versus memory foam) might be a better choice. But I would have no way of knowing. I’m trying my best to base this upon some of your comments from previous posts.

The other thing I would consider is your pillow, which you said you are already testing. Many upper back issues are related to a pillow that is too thick or too thin, and the appropriate thickness of the pillow will change with the mattress you’re using (sinking into the mattress more = thinner pillow).

One other thing to consider, if you’re a side sleeper, is the placement of a body pillow or a thicker regular pillow against your chest and then allowing your free arm to rest upon this pillow., This will help to take quite a bit of stress off of your upper back.

Once again I’m looking forward to any additional updates you have the chance to share.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply, Phoenix.

I started a new position at work a couple of weeks ago, but nothing changed physically. Still have the same office chair, etc. I am mostly a side sleeper. I already do the ‘pillow on chest’ thing, as well as one to support my back.

Can you elaborate on this point:

Are you saying that I perhaps should go for a memory foam topper instead of a soft talalay one? I understand you can’t say for certain about these things, but I’m just trying to clarify what you meant here :slight_smile:

Also, is this still a good list of vendors for latex toppers? I found it by doing a search here:

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/foam-factory-any-good

My plan was to look around their sites/email them with my situation, and see what they recommend.

Hi worknman,

I’m sorry I wasn’t more complete in my reply. :S The latex will be more “supportive”, even for a comfort layer, than the memory foam. So if you’re looking for extra softness but not sinking quite as much as the memory foam, the latex might be worth a look.

Yup, that’s it!

The best results will always be a phone conversation with the vendor if you have the time. There they can take the time to really “get a feel” for your situation and offer their best advice based upon your description and their experience. It saves a lot of “back and forth” and “lost in translation” of emails.

I look forward to learning about your choice and results.

Phoenix

Hello All,
Great information here! I’m 6’2"/250lbs and recently upsized from a Queen to King size bed.
I’m in search of best mattress obviously for comfort and support for lower back pain.
I have tried the Costco Novaform (too firm), Leesa and GhostBed.
After reading many reviews here, I am now trying the Brooklyn BME (medium).
The comfort, firmness and support are great so far (reduced back pain).

My only concern now is “heat trap” between my body and the mattress - doesn’t cause me to sweat, just feels hot where my body contacts the mattress.

I started with a King Size Luna Premium Hypoallergenic Waterproof Mattress Protector, but then removed that and just tried 100% cotton percale sheets directly on mattress - still feels hot.

Then I slept directly over the top sheet and light blanket - seems better, but still I get heat between body and mattress.

I’m mystified here, because I’ve slept on memory foam before and didn’t experience this and I’ve read extensively that Talalay latex is cooler.

My understanding is that on top of 6" core foam, there is 2" dunlop latex and 2" talalay foam for the comfort layer, then a quilted top containing a thin layer of poly foam.

I believe this mattress to be the best fit for my firmness, support needs but not sure I can handle this trapped heat feeling.

Has any other BME owners experienced this?
Any ideas to resolve? possibly a cooling protector?

Thanks for any feedback!
Dave

Hi holemania,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :cheer:

It’s not really possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials. In very general terms … the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses or foam toppers will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer versions of the same material.

(In addition to the information presented below … post #29 here has more information about temperature regulation and the microclimate on a mattress.)

There are many factors which control the sleeping temperature of a mattress and only one of these is the foam that is used in the mattress … particularly in the upper layers.

There are 3 main types of foam which is memory foam, polyfoam, and latex. Of these three … memory foam tends to be the most insulating and least breathable followed by polyfoam and latex is the most breathable. Talalay tends to be more breathable than Dunlop. There are also variations in each category and less dense foams tend to be more breathable than denser foams while firmer foams tend to allow less sinking in which can mean there is less insulating foam material against your body.

All foams are insulators (rather than heat conductors) so to some degree they will all be warmer than mattresses that contain no foam at all (such as mattresses that only have an innerspring and layers of natural fibers on top) but these tend to be premium or super premium mattresses and for the most part almost all mattresses have some type of foam in the comfort layers.

Some of the other factors involved in how warm a mattress sleeps are how closely the foam conforms to your body (the more closely it conforms around you the more insulating it is, and softer Talalay certainly will conform well like memory foam), how soft or thick the foam in the comfort layers are (the softer/thicker it is the deeper you will sink into the more insulating materials, and your mattress has 2" of Talalay on top of 2" of Dunlop latex), the type of quilting used in the mattress (natural fibers allow for more airflow and humidity control which translates into better temperature regulation), the type of ticking (cover) used (natural or more breathable fibers such as cotton or viscose or even some of the more breathable synthetics will wick away moisture and ventilate better and humidity control is a key part of temperature control, and your mattress uses a cotton cover quilted to a silica/rayon FR barrier), and on any cooling technologies used in the mattress such as ventilating and moisture wicking materials, heat conductive materials, or phase change materials (you can read more about these in post #9 here and at the end of post #4 here) and you can read more about the various different types of gel foams in post #2 here. In general terms gel foams will tend to have a temporary effect on temperature while you are first going to sleep until temperatures equalize but have less effect on temperature regulation throughout the course of the night.

While the upper layers of a mattress are the most significant part of temperature and moisture regulation … deeper support components that allow more airflow can also have an effect and so innersprings will also tend to sleep cooler than foam support cores (your mattress uses a polyfoam support core) as long as the air can ventilate to the outside of the mattress.

In addition to this … the mattress protector you choose along with your sheets and other bedding and what you wear when you sleep will also have a significant effect on temperature regulation because they can either add to the insulating effect or to the ventilating and moisture wicking effect of your mattress. You can see more about the effect of different mattress protectors in post #89 here. Bedding made from natural fibers or viscose materials (like bamboo) will also tend to be cooler than synthetic fibers and linen sheets along with silk are probably the coolest of all the natural fibers for those where sleeping temperature is a main priority. There is more about sheets and bedding in post #7 here. In many cases changing the mattress protector, sheets, or bedding to cooler versions can make “enough” of a difference for many people who would otherwise sleep hot on a mattress.

All of this of course is separate from any environmental conditions in the bedroom (temperature and humidity levels with higher humidity adding to the perception of heat), on the physiology and tendency of the person themselves to sleep warmer or cooler and where they are in the “oven to iceberg” range, and on their weight and body type which will affect how deeply they sink into the foam layers of the mattress.

In other words … it’s always a combination of several interacting factors that determines the sleeping temperature of a mattress in combination with a specific person and environment.

Overall, comparing your current mattress to the old memory foam mattress you said you used before is a bit of a moot point, because there are so many variables involved that could be different, including, but not limited to, the foam used under the top memory foam layer in the old bed, the core used (innerspring or polyfoam), the overall thickness of the mattress, the FR barrier used (or if it had one, pre-2007), they type of foundation used (placed upon a breathable slatted base or solid box that inhibits air circulation), the mattress pad/protector used, the fitted sheet used, flat sheet used, blankets used, the sleeping environment (humidity, temperature, air circulation), and the most important variable – you (changes over time in your physical condition, temperature sensitivity, pajamas used, etc.).

With all of that being said, you may wish to consider a few things. Check the foundation being used and make sure that it is allowing sufficient air flow. If you’re on a solid surface, consider something like a coir bed rug under the mattress. For a mattress pad, you may wish to consider a thin wool mattress pad, as it has excellent characteristics in being temperature neutral. If you decide to get a mattress pad with some sort of phase change materials, look for something thinner and realize that this sensation of feeling cooler is a more temporary effect. Consider the clothing you’re wearing when you go to sleep, and then move on to the sheets and upper insulating layers. Also, make sure your bedroom temperature is somewhere in the mid-60 degree range with a lower humidity. I know it’s a lot to consider, but the links I’ve provided above can be assistive in creating the most comfortable microclimate possible for you.

I’ll be interested to learn about how you progress through your evaluation and any changes that you are able to make.

Phoenix

Hi Dave,
I can say I feel the heat on Memory Foam but never on my Soft BME. I’ve been super happy with the comfort, feel and no issues with heat. I use a sleep tite mattress cover (Which took a few days in which to get accustomed) also but I know there are other brands with different materials you could try.
Best of luck with your quest for good sleep,
Jeff

Thanks for the welcome and all the great information Phoenix!

I have a platform bed with 2" x 6" slats with nary a crack, so it’s pretty solid - not sure about air flow on the bottom - no issue with other mattresses.
Only sleep in boxers - no issue there.
Room Temp - usually around 72-73 degrees - but no issues before the BME mattress.
100% Cotton Percale sheets - no issue when used on other mattresses.
I tried a Restful Nights® Mattress Pad last night from Costco - pretty thick, quilted mattress protector and it seemed to help a lot.
Hopefully, this heat trap will subside…I also wondered if it could still be from “off-gassing, latent vapors” from the new mattress or something obscure like that.causing an allergic reaction or skin reaction.

Will continue to test with the mattress pad for now.

Thanks again!
Dave

Hi holemania,

Thanks for the update on your set up.

While you may have not had an issue in the past, increased airflow may assist you in your current situation. Since the bottom of your platform bed is much like a solid surface, you may wish to consider something like a coir bed rug under any mattress in the future. This will assist with airflow.

[quote]Only sleep in boxers - no issue there.
Room Temp - usually around 72-73 degrees - but no issues before the BME mattress.[/quote]

Everyone has a room temperature that they enjoy, but most sleep ergonomic research will point toward a temperature in the mid-60 degree range as optimal (there are slight variations based upon certain studies). Making your room slightly cooler may be assistive as well.

[quote]100% Cotton Percale sheets - no issue when used on other mattresses.
I tried a Restful Nights® Mattress Pad last night from Costco - pretty thick, quilted mattress protector and it seemed to help a lot.[/quote]

Having the polyester fiber fill could certainly be allowing for a bit more air circulation. It’s good that you’re experiencing some positive results with this product.

A skin reaction would usually be a result of contact with the foam layers (assuming you had a specific type of latex allergy, which is unlikely), but since you’re not in contact with the foam that wouldn’t be an issue. The foams used on your mattress are tested and certified for low VOCs (Oeko-Tex and CertiPUR-US), so those would generally be minimal, but there certainly could be a mild sensitivity that you could be having to something, like people with Multiple Chemical Sensitivities. As with any new mattress, these odors (which are not necessarily VOCs, and vice versa), should dissipate quite quickly, so if you are having a mild issue hopefully it will resolve itself.

I’m hoping you have continued good forward progress.

Phoenix

Hello, looking for input from the community. Phoenix (Laura), you do not need to respond, spend time with your family and loved ones.

So after doing a lot of research like many of you, we chose the BME from Brooklyn Bedding. We ordered a California King in Medium firmness. I’m 6’4" around 240lbs. I’ve had shoulder surgery, and in the last year discovered I have very aggressive arthritis causing me a lot of pain. My lower back has been extremely painful lately. So my wife and I thought, maybe a new mattress would help. I was looking for a mattress conform to my body, to support all of my pressure points, and because of my size and weight, and I thought the medium would be a good choice. My wife is probably around 150lbs though.

The mattress arrived after 5 business days, kind of slow for 2 day shipping, but we live in New England to be fair. We’ve only slept on it 2 nights - WAY to early to form any concrete opinions! BUT, the mattress does seem very, very firm for a medium. I’m no mattress connoisseur, but it seems like it’s a 9-9.5/10 for firmness. I don’t sink into it much at all. My shoulders do not sink in, and my arms go numb if lying on my side. That being said, I have had less back pain the two days since getting receiving it. My wife also thinks its firm but doesn’t have as many aches and pains as I do,

Have they ever been known to accidentally send a firm instead of a medium? I will try it at least 2 weeks, and if my arms are still going numb, I’ll see if they’ll send a topper. Some have said even the soft is too firm. So I’m not too keen on the idea of exchanging it for a soft, because it might not be any better, and might break down faster than the medium.

I’m so happy I found this resource and love the information it provides.

Thanks for reading, any tips, advice, experiences from other medium users would be greatly appreciated!

Hi HikingMoose,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear about your painful pre-existing conditions.

Congratulations on your new mattress! As you’re already aware, Brooklyn Bedding is a member here which means I think highly of them and their products, You certainly made a good quality/value choice.

We’ve only slept on it 2 nights - WAY to early to form any concrete opinions!

You’re exactly correct. There will be what I like to call a “period of retrogression”, where the mattress will adjust to you and you’ll adjust to your mattress. There will also be a certain amount of “false firmness” with any new mattress, and this will gradually soften just a bit as everything “breaks in”, usually within the first 6 months. You had the foresight to select a product with a long 120-night trial period, just in case you need to make a change.

There is no universal absolute range of nomenclature for the overall firmness or “hardness” of a finished mattress, as there are entirely too many variables involved, and even if it could be accomplished the overall feel would be subjective as it related to the individual sleeping upon the mattress. With that being said, the Medium BME generally wouldn’t be in the conversation of “firmer” mattresses, and your assessment is also relative to your previous mattress. But of course the opinion that matters the most is always yours, as you’re the one who has to get good sleep. :wink:

Some recent research has shown that the strongest correlation to time spent in the deeper, more restorative phases of sleep is proper support/alignment. It’s good to hear that your back is feeling better, which at a distance would tend to lead me to a supposition that this new mattress is more supportive than your old mattress. Sleep ergonomic researchers will generally advise you to lean to better support, but that doesn’t mean that a mattress needs to feel like the floor.

People who have gone through shoulder surgery face a unique situation where they are generally more sensitive in an area which is already sensitive when sleeping upon their side. Something that you may find assistive would be to sleep with a pillow up against your back, allowing you to lean back slightly when sleeping on your side, effectively allowing you to “roll” your shoulder slightly forward so that you’re not sleeping directly upon it. Also, consider using a body pillow or a thicker pillow in front of you, upon which you may place your free arm. This also will take some pressure off of both of your shoulders. Finally, don’t forget to reassess your pillow whenever you get a new mattress to make sure that it is the proper thickness to fill in the gap from the outside of your shoulder to your ear, helping to take that weight off of your shoulder joint as well. Hopefully some of those tips will helps you, regardless of your eventual mattress combination.

While uncommon, you certainly can look for the information on your law tag and shipping invoice to confirm what you have, and also give BME a call to confirm what they have in their records for you. They are very helpful with their customer service.

I would give it as long as you can, for the reasons I provided earlier in my reply. It might be the situation where you desire a bit of extra surface comfort, but need the deeper support for your BMI and low back issues. I’ve spoken with many athletes (who tend to be larger individuals) who have shoulder issues and it is often that they use a softer latex topper in combination with a supportive mattress for all of their “aches and pains.”

I would caution using other people’s comments upon the “plushness” of a product, as that is their own personal opinion as it relates to their circumstances and body type (see post #13 here). I’d instead focus on you (you’re the one that matters the most in this conversation) and see how you adjust to your new mattress. If after time you think you need to make a change, then I’d follow through on your thoughts of giving the people at Brooklyn Bedding a call and use their expertise to guide you with some additional ideas to help you get some better upper pressure point relief.

You’re welcome. I look forward to learning about your progress.

Phoenix

Phoenix, that is all very good advice. Advice that I actually have been using for a few years, and it does help (the leaning back against another pillow when side sleeping, and having a pillow in front of me). I like to rest my upper leg on the body pillow that I’m also supporting my arm with.

Thank you for the very thorough, thoughtful, and detailed response. I didn’t mean to imply that we wouldn’t give it a fair break in period. I know 2 nights is not a large enough representative sample from which to base a judgment on. I just wanted to share my initial thoughts, and make sure I wasn’t the only one that thought it was firm at first, I’ll check the tag for confirmation. I’m sure it will soften up a little bit, as it gets slept on and used, and I’m sure our bodies will get used to it fairly quickly. It does in fact seem soft when sitting up, or in any other position beside lying flat. It’s just when your weight is distributed evenly and horizontal, it doesn’t “feel” soft The proof will be in the pudding - which so far, I do feel better.

I’m very happy with the build quality (not that I have any way to actually view the build quality). The materials should hold up well for us, and last a long time with minimal sag after the research I’ve done thanks to this site. I’ll check back in after a few months. Thank you for your help.

Hi HikingMoose,

It sounds like you’re already ahead of the game with your sleeping posture to help protect and take some stress off of your shoulder. Way to go!

Oh, I didn’t think that you implied that either. But hopefully your mattress will become more comfortable for you once it starts to break in a bit. And as you said, you certainly have the option of a topper down the road should you find that you need the extra surface comfort.

Latex certainly has a more supportive feel while it contours (what many describe as a buoyant feel), and that can take some getting used to. If you do end up deciding to go with a plush latex topper, you will feel a bit more of a “sinking in” feel, but it won’t be like polyfoam or memory foam. I’m glad you’re feeling better, but of course your goal will be to address as many of your concerns as possible (back and shoulder). :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments!

Phoenix

I was recently given a Brooklyn Bedding as a gift and was very happy with how well it worked out. (I admit I was a little nervous, ordering a mattress in the mail for first time.) It arrived compressed, opened up, and I tested out the medium firmness level to see how it compared to the store-bought equivalent. It was firm enough to support me sitting up on the bed, while also soft enough to easily fall sleep on, at a great price. I guess it was the goldilocks firmness level :slight_smile:

Great price, great experience!

Sorry for not doing the update on my 70+ year old Grandma. We were going to pull the trigger but decided not to as she was bleeding in the stool for a while and we knew something was obviously up. Fast forward a bit and she has stage 4b rectal cancer. She starts chemo for the first time in a few hours actually.

I wonder if there’s going to be a code for x-mas or it’s always the standard 5% with a pillow or sheet gimmick and that’s the best. Mario hooked me up when I talked to him but I don’t want to bug him again. She was going to buy it herself, but everything changed and I’m just going get it so she can be the most comfortable as long as possible. I’ll give updates though how an elderly, pretty much bed ridden (for sure now) copes with the bed like I said in my earlier post.

Hi ryanfred,

I’m very sorry to hear about your Grandmother’s health issues :frowning: . I hope that her treatment is successful.

I don’t have any information about any impending promotions from Brooklyn Bedding. They do offer specials at different times of the year, but as their prices are already quite competitive I wouldn’t expect the discounts to be anything like the 40%-50% Off “sales” that are unfortunately all too commonly used as marketing in the mattress industry. While the 5% and free shipping is a common discount that they offer, I wouldn’t term it a “gimmick”. My suggestion would be a quick phone call to Brooklyn Bedding and let them know of your situation and they may be able to provide some insight on any potential upcoming events.

Good luck again to your Grandmother.

Phoenix

Hi jon57,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!, and congratulations on your new “gift”! :slight_smile:

I’m glad you like your new mattress. I’ll be interested in your comments about it once you’ve had a chance to sleep on it for a while longer.

That was a nice “present”!

Phoenix

Hello everyone,

New member here and stumbled across this thread while searching for information on the Brooklyn Bedding BME. I have decided I want to order one as the price is very reasonable and they include 2 pillows and sheets. Now, like everyone else new to this world of mattresses, I am trying to pick the firmness I would want.

I am 5’10", I float around 190-200lbs, broader shoulders than waist, a stomach/side (more on stomach) sleeper, and a back sleeper. I can be a warm sleeper at times, but not always, usually when my girlfriend is around. I believe, but am not positive I enjoy more of a firmer mattress. I’m torn between the medium and firm.

this site has been a great resource!

Hi craiggroves91,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

So, you’re a bit of a “rotisserie chicken” - rolling around in different positions throughout the night! :lol: But sleeping mostly on your stomach. Sleeping on your side usually requires the most surface conformation, as you mentioned the difference between the width of the shoulder and the waist/hips. Sleeping on your stomach usually requires the firmest surface comfort, and you don’t want too much conformation that would accentuate the lordotic curvature of the lumbar region. Some people sleep totally prone (needing the firmest surface comfort) while others bring their knee up a bit and sleep with a “1/4 turn” when sleeping on their stomach (can deal with a bit more surface conformation). The nice thing with the Best Mattress Ever (BME) is that the top two layers of the product are highly point elastic, so even a “firmer” version will still contour well to your body.

Your best step would be a phone conversation with Brooklyn Bedding, as opposed to an email or chat. Brooklyn Bedding is a member here of this site, which means that I think highly of them and their product knowledge. Their detailed knowledge of their mattresses and how they fit with different body types and sleeping positions, plus your own personal feedback on what you’re currently using and what works best for you personally as reference points, will combine to give them better information to make a suggestion between either their “Medium” or “Firm” model. Additionally, you can then inquire about their 120 night trial policy should your purchase unfortunately not turn out as well as you had expected.

While the latex used in the BME is very breathable, all of the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin, and softer mattresses or foam toppers will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer versions of the same material. If you’re interested in exploring this further, there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

I’m interested to know what you decide upon and any advice you’re provided by Brooklyn Bedding in that process.

Phoenix

Thank you for the reply, Phoenix, I actually emailed Brooklyn Bedding around the same time I posted on here and they replied. They recommended the medium firmness so that is what I went with,

I’m quite excited as I made the upgrade to a queen size from a full, very much looking forward to the increase in size. I’m super stoked about the pillows and sheets they’re including as well, kind of odd they don’t let you choose the sheet color though. I will be sure to return to let you know how I like the mattress, I’m hoping it stops the sore mornings!

Thank you again!