Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

Sorry for not doing the update on my 70+ year old Grandma. We were going to pull the trigger but decided not to as she was bleeding in the stool for a while and we knew something was obviously up. Fast forward a bit and she has stage 4b rectal cancer. She starts chemo for the first time in a few hours actually.

I wonder if there’s going to be a code for x-mas or it’s always the standard 5% with a pillow or sheet gimmick and that’s the best. Mario hooked me up when I talked to him but I don’t want to bug him again. She was going to buy it herself, but everything changed and I’m just going get it so she can be the most comfortable as long as possible. I’ll give updates though how an elderly, pretty much bed ridden (for sure now) copes with the bed like I said in my earlier post.

Hi ryanfred,

I’m very sorry to hear about your Grandmother’s health issues :frowning: . I hope that her treatment is successful.

I don’t have any information about any impending promotions from Brooklyn Bedding. They do offer specials at different times of the year, but as their prices are already quite competitive I wouldn’t expect the discounts to be anything like the 40%-50% Off “sales” that are unfortunately all too commonly used as marketing in the mattress industry. While the 5% and free shipping is a common discount that they offer, I wouldn’t term it a “gimmick”. My suggestion would be a quick phone call to Brooklyn Bedding and let them know of your situation and they may be able to provide some insight on any potential upcoming events.

Good luck again to your Grandmother.

Phoenix

Hi jon57,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!, and congratulations on your new “gift”! :slight_smile:

I’m glad you like your new mattress. I’ll be interested in your comments about it once you’ve had a chance to sleep on it for a while longer.

That was a nice “present”!

Phoenix

Hello everyone,

New member here and stumbled across this thread while searching for information on the Brooklyn Bedding BME. I have decided I want to order one as the price is very reasonable and they include 2 pillows and sheets. Now, like everyone else new to this world of mattresses, I am trying to pick the firmness I would want.

I am 5’10", I float around 190-200lbs, broader shoulders than waist, a stomach/side (more on stomach) sleeper, and a back sleeper. I can be a warm sleeper at times, but not always, usually when my girlfriend is around. I believe, but am not positive I enjoy more of a firmer mattress. I’m torn between the medium and firm.

this site has been a great resource!

Hi craiggroves91,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

So, you’re a bit of a “rotisserie chicken” - rolling around in different positions throughout the night! :lol: But sleeping mostly on your stomach. Sleeping on your side usually requires the most surface conformation, as you mentioned the difference between the width of the shoulder and the waist/hips. Sleeping on your stomach usually requires the firmest surface comfort, and you don’t want too much conformation that would accentuate the lordotic curvature of the lumbar region. Some people sleep totally prone (needing the firmest surface comfort) while others bring their knee up a bit and sleep with a “1/4 turn” when sleeping on their stomach (can deal with a bit more surface conformation). The nice thing with the Best Mattress Ever (BME) is that the top two layers of the product are highly point elastic, so even a “firmer” version will still contour well to your body.

Your best step would be a phone conversation with Brooklyn Bedding, as opposed to an email or chat. Brooklyn Bedding is a member here of this site, which means that I think highly of them and their product knowledge. Their detailed knowledge of their mattresses and how they fit with different body types and sleeping positions, plus your own personal feedback on what you’re currently using and what works best for you personally as reference points, will combine to give them better information to make a suggestion between either their “Medium” or “Firm” model. Additionally, you can then inquire about their 120 night trial policy should your purchase unfortunately not turn out as well as you had expected.

While the latex used in the BME is very breathable, all of the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin, and softer mattresses or foam toppers will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer versions of the same material. If you’re interested in exploring this further, there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

I’m interested to know what you decide upon and any advice you’re provided by Brooklyn Bedding in that process.

Phoenix

Thank you for the reply, Phoenix, I actually emailed Brooklyn Bedding around the same time I posted on here and they replied. They recommended the medium firmness so that is what I went with,

I’m quite excited as I made the upgrade to a queen size from a full, very much looking forward to the increase in size. I’m super stoked about the pillows and sheets they’re including as well, kind of odd they don’t let you choose the sheet color though. I will be sure to return to let you know how I like the mattress, I’m hoping it stops the sore mornings!

Thank you again!

Hi craiggroves91,

Congratulations on your new mattress! :cheer:

I’ll be interested in learning about your opinions on the mattress once you’ve had a chance to sleep on it for a while.

Phoenix

Ok, So I need some advice ASAP. My mattress was proving to be too firm, and my back pain progressed into a sciatica. The mattress was just firm enough to put pressure right on the nerve, and has kept me from sleeping at all for 2 weeks… I contacted Mario and he sent me out the memory foam topper, free of charge. I just opened it up today when it arrived and was letting it expand and breath, and warm up. I still had it rolled up, I put in on our mattress, and started to unroll it, everything seemed ok at this point. Until I got it unrolled. It had a LOT of hair, I thought it was just lint and foam pieces from a distance, until I started lint rolling it, and realized it was hair, curly short hairs, with other lint as well.

I’m just leaving this here in case other experience the same issue. Mario is willing to resolve this as quickly as he can.

Removed.

I feel like you’re overreacting a little. I mean so angry you can hardly type or hoping they close down? I don’t know though it could be some stray hairs, some brands use animal hair in their comfort layer and it could’ve rubbed off in the factory. At the end of the day, I’d email them or contact them to figure it out and go from there.

Hi HIkingMoose,

I really wouldn’t have an idea where that would have come from. In my visits to mattress factories they certainly aren’t sterile environments and there are regions (even in the new Brooklyn Bedding factory), especially along some rollers, where lint and hairs can accumulate, and I have seen a few hairs here and there in foam mattresses and pillows in the past (foam does have a higher coefficient of friction and can pick up these things), but in the photo you provided it doesn’t necessarily look like what I have seen in the past. Is it possible that it was something that was picked up from a surrounding source when the item was unrolled, or picked up from the mattress it was placed upon?

As far as advice, I have to admit that your first reaction to post photos on a mattress forum instead of contacting the manufacturer directly is a bit curious and opposite of what I would do. I would recommend that you immediately contact Mario and I’d forward them the information/photos you have and ask for a replacement piece, which I think would be reasonable and I’m sure accommodated by any manufacturer.

As far as my opinion if you are overreacting, I would say that yes, I think you are a bit, especially when you talk of “shutting down” a business “if this gets out” (which is exactly what you’re doing by initially posting on an online forum, which again is quite curious to me as your first course of action) for something where you’re not even sure of the source. I’d certainly want to contact the business first and see if they could replace the product and provide an explanation (if possible) of what you’ve photographed here. If the business had ignored your requests for contact regarding a particular issue like this, then I would say you’d be justified in attempting to find remediation through other avenues. But that hasn’t happened yet.

I’ll see if I can provide any assistance to get you a response as well, and please let us know of any feedback/resolution that you receive.

Phoenix

Hello HIkingMoose,

My name is Mario, First of all I would like to apologize for any negative experience, I am the manager here at Brooklyn Bedding and I am also the one who spoke with you regarding sending the topper. I can assure you we would never send anything out like this. I am honestly not sure how this made it out like this and not even sure how it would be possible. These are shipped in an air tight roll by actual individuals, I can see this from my pc standing back by about 10 feet, this is not like someone would not be able to see this when rolling it. That would be clear as day to me.

There would be no reason as to why we would send anything like this intentionally. I can understand any frustration you may have and we would be happy to honor our return policy or replace all merchandise for you. By our standards this is not acceptable and I will make sure to speak with our manufacturing and shipping department regarding the situation.

All of our merchandise is required to pass a quality control, in this situation it would lead me to believe that it may be something which could have taken place during delivery or drop off. I will do my very best to investigate this situation. In the mean time feel free to contact me at your convenience if you have any questions.

Mario,
Brooklyn Bedding

The reason I asked on here first, before contacting the manufacturer was to see if there was a rational reason why this could have that much hair and lint on it. The lint didn’t bother me, and that’s what I thought it was at first. It’s coming from a company that works with foam for nearly all of it’s products. It wasn’t until I started cleaning it off, that I realized it was not lint (well a small portion is). I agree the factories are probably not clean, and the foam probably attracts a lot of lint and hair. But not that much. People would have complained before now.

I have nothing to gain from this. I never said “I was going to shut them down.” I just feel that putting over a thousand potentially pubic hairs, in my bedroom and on my mattress and floor. If you can honestly say that is not disgusting, then… all I can say is I have to agree to disagree. I don’t feel I’m overreacting. I do have OCD, so this is probably harder for me to deal with then it might be for other people. But that is neither here nor there.

And to answer your question about if there is anyway thousands of hairs could have been transferred to the inside of it, as I was unrolling it, the answer is ABSOLUTELY NOT. There were no hairs on my mattress when I put the folded up topper on it. I obviously didn’t have thousands of curly hairs on my shirt that would have fallen off onto the topper as I unrolled it. My wife and I both groom pretty regular, so they could not be our hair (plus they are not the color of our hair).

The perplexing part is the outside surface of the topper when I unwrapped it, didn’t seem to have any noticeable hair. It wasn’t until I placed it on my mattress and started unfolding, and unrolling it, that the inside surface had the lint. I thought it seemed odd, and excessive, I disregarded it as lint initially for the reasons just mentioned. Then when I looked closer I as I was using a lint roller on it, that it was hair. It is almost as if it was intentional

I’m starting to truly feel that it was probably something an employee did that was disgruntled. Perhaps someone unhappy, or about to quit, or was just fired. That is literally the only explanation as to why THAT many hairs could be placed on the side of the topper facing up, before it was folded and rolled and wrapped. It would have to have been intentionally done by an employee. I’m not saying the company would do it intentionally, but I feel an employee did.

Mario,

I’m sorry I didn’t come to you first. I just wanted to hear from some other opinions to see if others have seen the same thing on their toppers. I’ve had a couple hours to settle down, so I apologize for the earlier post. I agree that you guys obviously would not intentionally send out something in that condition. The topper was folded and then rolled very tightly, with plastic wrapped around the perimeter. The only exposed part was the very center, (but because it’s folded several times, the side with the hair is not actually exposed). It was in a well sealed box, with no way of something like this getting inside. So I understand how surprising it could be to hear of it.

That being said, it did absolutely occur, even against those odds. I have nothing to gain by fabricating such a story about a product someone was kind enough to send me for free! As a scientist, and typically level headed individual (contrary to what you all thing now), I truly, in my deepest part of my soul think it had to have been done by an employee that was angry, or upset about something. It is just too much hair to have gone unnoticed, as you yourself stated.

I want to reiterate, that I’m not blaming you, or your company as a whole. But something obviously happened here. I think if you guys looked into it, and asked around, you might find out there is an unhappy team member in the shipping department.

Hi Mario:

Thank you for taking the time to monitor the forum and respond so quickly to HikingMoose.

Knowing your facility as I do (one of the newest and most modern in the US), the process of the foam packaging and with all of the monitoring that occurs there, I also came up with no “obvious” source for that issue, besides something outside of the factory, perhaps even a static attraction from something local after unwrapping, which is common with foam.

Thank you again for your quick reply and offer of assistance to HikingMoose.

Phoenix

HikingMoose,

I am having our manufacturing manager look into this. In the mean time I would like to get this take care of for you. As per the previous options offered. What direction would you like to take. I would like to get this handled for you as soon a possible

Thank you,
Mario
Brooklyn Bedding

Hi HikingMoose,

I’m glad that Mario from Brooklyn Bedding saw your comments and was able to reply to you so quickly. I saw that he is also stumped as to the origination of your issue, but I’m happy that he is willing to take care of things for you and hopefully you can work out with him what you desire to have done.

You know, I thought all night about where this might have come from (it’s not often I get an odd situation like this so I like to problem solve), and the closest thing I came up with would be what I found when I was folding laundry this morning and I had something similar looking to your photo “stuck” to one of my fleece pullovers. Foam can hold a static charge and my thought was perhaps something could have been attracted off a piece of clothing before or after packaging of the foam. It’s the best I can come up with for your mystery. But I am glad Mario is looking into things for you.

I don’t think that anyone thinks you have anything to gain here (Brooklyn Bedding already has a generous return/exchange policy). My curiosity was more over the order of your reaction to this (posting publically before contacting the company and allowing them to explain/resolve things), which I think is a bit different from most consumers, but it certainly is your prerogative to do so if that makes you more comfortable before speaking with the manufacturer. As you know I’ll always do my best to give you my best opinion of things, even though in this case I’m only able to speak in general terms of probabilities!

As far as your shutting them down comment, maybe I should have quoted you exactly, which was: " I wonder if it will get them shut down if this gets out?" Sorry if you feel I misrepresented what you stated, but to me, and you had asked for my opinion, I find it incongruous to wonder about what would happen if something “gets out” and then post that thought publically on one of the most heavily trafficked mattress forums in the country, which would indeed assure that your thought would be “getting out”, which as a casual reader it would be common for me to infer that it was actually the writer’s intent. But again that was just my opinion.

As far as overreacting, you question to me was: “Am I over reacting?” My opinion, based upon the facility in question, how foam is fabricated, handled, packaged and delivered, the reputation of the company in question, and their quality control, was that you were overreacting a bit, but I certainly understand your concerns and do not invalidate them at all. And it is of course just my opinion, which you may feel free to give any level of credence that you desire. But as you know as a reader of this site, when asked I will provide my opinion as best I can and I take no offence should you not agree with it. :slight_smile:

I totally sympathize with you and the difficulties that this can present, and while it doesn’t explain away any of your concerns, it certainly helps provide some perspective regarding your posts.

While this may be a scenario that you feel to be possible, I wouldn’t agree with that, having the advantage of knowing the facility and packaging process in question. But I know that Mario does value your feedback and will certainly follow up on checking into things at his facility and with his supervisors.

Thanks for taking the time to follow up and I am very happy that Mario has made contact with you to assist you with everything. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions or be assistive in any other manner.

Phoenix

I agree that Mario is always very nice, and helpful. That is why I didn’t contact him first when I was so upset about having strangers bodily hairs all through my bedroom. I still don’t think I overreacted, and feel if any of you had your bedding covered in such a manner, you would also be equally grossed out.

As stated previously, I own a vacuum, and have OCD. So there is obviously no way on this planet that when I unfolded the topper, thousands of hairs were suddenly attracted to the inner most (side that was folded up on the inside). I am dropping this for now, and will not bring it up again, I’m apologizing for posting on here directly after it happened and I was so heated. I have calmed down now, but stand by my statements. It was clearly packaged and shipped that way, which indicates the person packing the topper, had to have seen it, or placed it there. The underside had no hair, just the side that was all folded up. Ergo it could not have come from outside after packaging.

I will see how Mario wants to proceed, and I will edit or remove my posts earlier as to not dissuade future customers. Sorry for the posts, and sorry that everyone misunderstood where I’m coming from. I just want people to put themselves in my shoes, and imagine it was their bed.

Reporting back. It has been almost 2 weeks on the new mattress and it has been great. I believe I am still getting used to it, but I’m definitely not waking up sore anymore. No complaints about the mattress thus far.

Now, I do have complaints about the high rise foundation I bought through Brooklyn Bedding as well. I initially spoke with a representative of theirs on live chat and stated the situation and she told me to forward my message and pictures to their warranty email address. I did that, but it has been 4 days and I have yet to hear back.

Firstly, after setup I noticed one of the bars were slightly bent, but it wasn’t serious enough for me to make a complaint.

Secondly, it has started to squeak, which is especially disappointing since BB advertises it as “noiseless”. I even went through a little extra effort to add grease in places that might squeak and loctite thread lock to the wing nuts.

Thirdly and the most disappointing, several days ago I went to lift the mattress to remove the sheets and I noticed there is a fairly sharp piece of metal that touches the bottom of the mattress and it has completely worn through the cover of the mattress in several places.
Sharp piece of metal with mattress cover material stuck on it:

After removing mattress cover material:

Damage to mattress from this metal:

Really sucks since this setup cost me a fair chunk of change as a college student and is the first mattress I’ve purchased. I’m hoping this gets resolved soon. I really figured I would have heard back from someone by now.

Hi craggroves91,

I’m glad you’re enjoying your new BME. I’ll look forward to your comments after you’ve had a chance to use it more.

Because of the volume of emails some of these companies receive, my best suggestion is always a detailed phone conversation with the manufacturer. You’ll get more accomplished in a shorter amount of time.

I’m sorry about those conditions of your foundation, and I certainly think you’d be justified in asking for a replacement. The bent side rail looks like something that could have happened in transit, and perhaps this could have set the unit a bit out of square in other areas and it could be part of the cause of your squeaking issue.

Your other issue, the sharp edge, looks like a piece of weld that is above the top deck level, as best I can tell from your photo (or is that just the material bunched up on it)? Regardless, this is of course also not good and another reason I would call and ask for the item to be replaced. When you phone, you may also want to ask them about some help getting a new cover.

Phoenix