Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

I initially emailed the warranty email on January 9th, 2017 and heard nothing, so I emailed again on the 17th and was told by Mario that they never received anything (which is highly unlikely as it is clearly in my sent folder, but I didn’t sweat it). He told me to send the email again and I did, which must be around when you spoke to him.

Mario agreed to replace both the high rise foundation and mattress, which was great. I was pleased with this solution until I received the shipment only to find I received a easy-ship foundation instead of a high rise foundation. Very odd, since the order form Mario sent for the replacements has heavy duty high rise on there.

Now I alerted Mario of the situation and he seems to be very confused about what has happened.

This is becoming so frustrating as it has been almost a month since I first sent the email to their warranty email about these issues.

I almost feel like this deserves its own thread as now it is kind of disrupting this one.

EDIT: Mario has made it right. He said he has been very busy.

Hi craiggrove91,

I’m glad that Mario is helping you get things straightened out, and that they are replacing both the foundation and mattress for you.

I’ve had days like that where I’m going in a million different directions. I just had that happen to me yesterday where I was going to get something and I read it and said it out loud, and then I proceeded to grab the incorrect item because it had been on my brain!

Anyway, hopefully you’ll have the correct foundation soon and all will be well.

Thanks for the update.

Phoenix

Thanks, like I said I’ve tried the Casper in stores and it felt amazing but, that was not sleeping. The casper was soft but, firm all the same and hurt my back. Do you think the Plush is softer then the Casper?

This box spring is from the 80s. I don’t have the money or means of getting rid of it. My casper never had a sinking feeling.

Hi DarkJojo,

Unfortunately, there is no universal scale of plushness, and even then there are different “qualities” of plushness that different individuals can interpret differently as well. These mattresses use different componentry, so the only way to tell would be your own actual testing when trying out the product. The upper double layers of latex in the BME would certainly have a more buoyant feel as compared to the Casper, but I wouldn’t be able to tell you if you would think their soft version was softer than the Casper you tried.

I’m guessing your “box spring” isn’t truly a coil box spring, but more than likely a torsion modular system, which was what was commonly used in the 80s. Just realize that even a slight bit of flexion in the box/foundation will impact the comfort of the mattress.

As an aside, if you’re on a more restricted budget then post #4 here and the posts it links to also include many of the better lower budget online options I’m aware of as well.

Phoenix

I’ve had the king medium for just over a year now and it is firmer than the firm innerspring mattress it replaced, you definitely won’t sink into this one. A lot of the properties of this mattress vary on how you set it up. I originally laid it on top of my old box springs till I had a chance to build a platform. Using this setup, it had similar motion transfer as an innerspring and the boxspring added some give to the mattress. After building a wood slat platform and removing boxsprings, its true firmness showed through and the motion transfer really died down - I think when these foam/latex mattress companies list less motion transfer as a quality, it really has to do with the elimination of box springs. I’m a side sleeper and with this firmness I wake up a number of times to flip sides, more suited for a back sleeper imo. My wife agrees that it is on the very firm side. We have a 3" novaform topper on it to cut the firmness which works for her, but I can’t say I love the overall results. I think I miss the properties of an innerspring and how it supports the body and probably would not buy a foam mattress again from any brand. I tend to get the same aches on foam/latex as I do when camping and sleeping on an air mattress. Also it being smaller at the corners and overall than the innerspring mattress it replaced is an annoyance since it doesn’t fill the king bed frame fully, I don’t believe its a defect, that’s just the way they make them.

Hi JW,

Thanks for your comments and feedback. A few things I’d like to add to your notes:

Motion transfer definitely has much to do with the products upon which any mattress is placed. Standard metal bedframes contribute to motion transfer issues, as does placing a mattress upon a true coil box spring or torsion modular system. The more solid the base under a mattress, the better the minimization of partner disturbance. One thing to note is that most foam mattress (and innerspring) manufacturers do not recommend placing their products upon anything but a firm, solid and flat surface. A platform bed (decked or slatted) or a foundation would be your proper choice. Using an improper surface can allow you to sink into the mattress too much as well, and often will void any manufacturer’s warranty.

Industry standard for a king would be 76" x 80", +/- 1" or so. In general, any foam mattress tends to be closer to this industry standard, as it’s easier for the fabricators to slit the foam in more exact dimensions. Industry wide, you’ll tend to find more variations in innerspring mattresses because of the mixture of different componentry and the amount of handwork involved. But variations still do exist.

I’m sorry you’re not enjoying your mattress/topper as much as your wife. As I mention often on the forum, a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). Hence, the reason that reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t be a reliable indicator about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person

Thanks again for visiting again and providing your feedback!

Phoenix

Hi all - first post.

First of all, just wanted to say thanks for this great resource and awesome thread on the BME from BB. I ordered one of these in soft last week after far too much research into the mattress industry and different manufactures. I settled on the BME because it represents a fantastic value IMO - particularly with the return policy in the event this doesn’t work for me.

I just wanted to post quickly here to note that BB has redesigned the website, and with that came a new photo of the inner layers of the mattress which indicates that the bottom support layer of polyfoam is now a convoluted layer of foam, rather than a solid layer. I reached out to BB today to inquire about the change and they confirmed that the new photo reflects a new construction, but the base foam is still 2lb density.

My question for you all is whether you think the convoluted foam construction will have any effect on support and durability. BB ensured me that it will not, but I’m finding that hard to believe from a pure physics standpoint (more air and empty space in that layer should theoretically mean the foam will compress more).

Thanks,
Cory

Hi coreno16,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your new mattress! You certainly made a good quality/value choice.

Your question is a good one. In this particular situation I wouldn’t have a concern.

In general, convoluted layers are less durable than a solid layer of the same material, so if there are convoluted foam layers in the upper layers of a mattress and the material is also at the minimum density range for a particular BMI then it could have some effect on the durability and useful life of the mattress and I would lower your expectations slightly. I would also make sure that there isn’t more than one convoluted layer. If the convoluted materials are higher quality (as in this case at 2.0 lb), located deeper within the mattress, and more durable than the minimum guidelines for a particular BMI, then it wouldn’t be an issue.

If we were comparing a 2" piece of 1.2 lb convoluted polyfoam versus the same in a solid sheet in the quilt panel of a mattress, the solid sheet would be more durable, even though both would be lower-quality materials. In this case the 6" polyfoam core is 6" with a slight convolute on top to allow for increased airflow and also a bit “gentler” transition from the top comfort layers to the support core. As this is deeper within the mattress and the density is a high-quality 2.0 lb, the differences in durability would be minimal and not a cause for concern, IMHO.

Thanks for bringing up the question.

Phoenix

Long time reader of this form, first time poster. I think I’ve actually read 50% of this thread and it’s what lead me to get the BME mattress.

My experience as a light dude with medium BME
I’ll keep this as brief as I can, but I wanted to give back a bit of my experience and see what you all think. I’m a tall thin dude (6’2", 166lb) that side-sleeps so I went for the medium (I saw the photos of kettle bells sinking deeply into the medium and thought ‘sounds good!’. Immediately .I had lower back pains, but from what I read I knew I should give it time so I did. Fast-forward 2-3 months of different pillows and giving it as much chance as I can it’s still not rejuvenating to say the least and I’ve become more of a back-sleeper.

The gel topper
I finally reached out and was given the 2" cool gel/foam topper to try and it helped! Except despite being “cool” I’ve woken up sweaty quite a few nights now and the foam being blue colored shines through my white mattress cover and makes the bed look turquoise. Not ideal for a nice mattress.

What now?
I really love BME from what I’ve seen on here and the construction of the mattress but just don’t think it’s wise to keep. I’m stuck thinking foam and side-sleeping just don’t go well together and am considering trying Purple’s mattress (maybe for logical reasons, maybe because they’ve retargeted me so heavily on Facebook).

Does all this make sense for a lightweight side-sleeper and knowing that should I try a mattress like Purple’s or someone else’s? Wish I could try the BME soft worry-free :frowning:

Hi rytiedye,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

That’s quite a bit of reading!

I’m not sure what you mean by “not rejuvenating”, but I’m guessing that you still would prefer a bit more surface comfort for sleeping upon your side.

As the memory foam topper assisted with your comfort, that of course leans in the direction of you desiring a bit more surface plushness on top of your current mattress, confirming my earlier thoughts.

Memory foam will tend to be the least breathable of the most common foam materials. With the gel infused into your memory foam topper, gel foams will tend to have a temporary effect on temperature while you are first going to sleep until temperatures equalize but have less effect on temperature regulation throughout the course of the night. You can read more about phase change materials in post #9 here and at the end of post #4 here) and you can read more about the various different types of gel foams in post #2 here.

Regarding the color showing through your sheets, I would strongly recommend that you protect your topper with a zippered encasement, even if it’s a basic one from a department or linen store. Right now, your topper should be covered at a minimum by your mattress pad/protector and your fitted sheet.

Sleeping on your side comfortably can be achieved with traditional innerspring or “foam (polyfoam, memory foam, latex, or a combination of thereof). It just comes down to finding the combinations that you prefer. If you decide to keep your mattress but wish to try a latex topper that you can return, you may wish to take a look at site member MattressTopper.com. They offer 3” Talalay toppers in three different firmnesses, and the Talalay will be more breathable than your current memory foam topper.

Regarding Purple, a forum search on Purple will also bring up much more information and feedback about them as well. They are using a layer of buckling column gel which is a good quality and durable material. There is more about buckling column gel in this article and in post #2 here and the posts it links to and a forum search on " buckling column gel " (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about it as well. The buckling column gel is 2" thick and then there is a 3.25" layer of 1.8 lb polyfoam under the buckling column gel (this may be 3.5" thick because they list two different thicknesses in their FAQ and the description for each size) and a 4" 2.0 lb polyfoam base layer which are both good quality materials so there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that would compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress although I would add a caution for those that are in higher weight ranges (mid 200’s or higher) because of the 1.8 lb polyfoam comfort layer.

As you should already be aware, choosing a product based upon advertising and/or reviews would generally be the least reliable way to select a mattress (see post #13 here). I can assist with the “how” to choose a mattress, but I can’t select a mattress for you or make specific recommendations, as there are too many unknowns, variables and personal preferences involved to do so with any accuracy. If you do decide to select a new mattress, I would be sure that you start your process with a review of the Mattress Shopping Tutorial and the steps listed within that will help you select a mattress.

Let me know what you decide to do!

Phoenix

Thanks for the thorough response Phoenix!

By “not rejuvenating” I just meant it wasn’t over-the-top, new-level-of-comfort a lot of people tended to raptly talk about on the forum.

I’ve definitely noticed the foam heating up overnight. From my research on the forum about Purple it seemed it should provide cooling and good side support? You mentioned a husband I don’t think I mentioned haha but I think your point of caution for heavy weight ranges means the buckling column gel might work well for a lighter weight side-sleeper? I know it’s all personal opinion and to look beyond the reviews, but am just curious if there’s anything you’d recommend seeking out or avoiding for this kind of sleeper. :slight_smile:

Thanks so much!

Hi rtiedye,

Got it. As I often mention, your own personal results are the most important thing to consider, so if it’s not the best for you, then that’s all that matters.

It doesn’t provide cooling, per se, but the buckling column gel can provide added spaces for airflow and the gel does conduct well, but like any gel will load over time. Whether or not the product has enough support for you can only be told through your own careful personal testing.

Oops! :S Looking at too many posts at once. Sorry about that. The caution is for the poly foam layer at 1.8 lb for larger individuals.

My advice would be the same that I mentioned in my last reply by starting with the Mattress Shopping Tutorial, which not only assists with guidance on how to find mattresses that contain good quality components, but also how to avoid ones that are not as high of a quality.

Phoenix

I’m not having a good sleep. I’m looking for possible solutions:

I’m using an old box spring from the 80s and a Coil-Spring Mattress Directly ontop of the box spring. No frame. The BB bed is directly ontop of all 3 and as I said sit directly on the floor. I’m wondering could this be causing me to develop aches and pains? I’m also noticing a noticeable sag now. It’s been less then a week.

I’m really desperate for a good night sleep. I really am.

Hi DarkJojo,

While I can’t tell what is causing you to sleep uncomfortably, you’re certainly not doing yourself any favours with your current set up. Using a 30+ year foundation (which is more than likely an inappropriate torsion system as I mentioned in my previous reply) is the first thing you should eliminate. Placing a mattress on top of that, and then placing your new mattress on top of both of these items, is creating an even more inappropriate surface for your mattress which virtually guarantees that your mattress will sag almost immediately.

You need to place your mattress upon a firm non-flexing (or very minimal flexing) surface, per Brooklyn Bedding. Use the guidelines in the foundation thread here as well if you need more guidance.

You would be much better served by placing your mattress directly upon the floor, as this would be preferable and more appropriate than your current setup.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix—I read it when I first purchased but will read again.

Hi rytiedye,

If you come up with new questions after reading through the guide, please let me know.

Phoenix

Do you think my back pains could possibly stem from this poor set up? I know that when I sleep directly on the mattress below it’s sheer agony. I have springs poking up in places.

Hi DarkJojo,

I can’t feel what you feel, so there would be no way for me to tell this with 100% certainty, but what I can tell is that you’re setting up your new mattress in a very improper configuration, and as I mentioned before you’re not doing yourself any favours with this set up. By placing your mattress upon something that is sagging, you’re negatively impacting support and alignment, which certainly can lead to back issues.

Put your mattress upon the floor and sleep on it in that manner. Proceeding with your current set up makes no sense at all and would not be conducive to restorative sleep with the lack of proper support under your new mattress.

That’s the best advice I can offer.

Phoenix

UPDATE:
3 weeks in to my medium BB #BME
im 6’2 190lbs
wife is 5’4 110lbs
side sleeprs
the bed is well made etc. etc. etc.
my wife loves it
but i feel like i’m bottoming out… like i go through the comfort layers too easily and there’s no gradual transition to the foundation

I WANT to love it but … I have to change sides 2-3 times a night or I wake up with a sore shoulder. I didnt have to do this in my old mem-foam mattress.
I have also been experiencing middle back pain/fatigue during the day, which I’ve never experienced before… its not happening IN the bed, but its a new sensation and the bed is the only thing ive changed.

gonna keep at it for a few more weeks but, so far I’m not sleeping awesome on it.

Hi cowtweets,

I’m sorry you’re sleeping uncomfortably on your BME. :frowning:

All of the layers of a mattress work in unison and while you wouldn’t be compressing any of the layers 100%, it could be that you desire a more gradual transition from the upper layers “bending into” and having their compressed ILD more closely matching that of the polyfoam core. It could also be that you desire a bit more/thicker amount of an upper “comfort layer” to assist with this, or a material that isn’t as resilient as latex (like the memory foam layer you used to have). Or it could be that the product just isn’t your personal preference, in which case you did make a good choice with the return policy offered.

The good news is that this “transition” as you’re describing it will become a bit more “gradual” as the mattress continues to break in. Hopefully it will be enough to where you find the product comfortable, but at least you are aware that you have return options if it doesn’t.

Out of curiosity, what type of a foundation are you using under your mattress?

Phoenix