Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

Hi rtiedye,

Got it. As I often mention, your own personal results are the most important thing to consider, so if it’s not the best for you, then that’s all that matters.

It doesn’t provide cooling, per se, but the buckling column gel can provide added spaces for airflow and the gel does conduct well, but like any gel will load over time. Whether or not the product has enough support for you can only be told through your own careful personal testing.

Oops! :S Looking at too many posts at once. Sorry about that. The caution is for the poly foam layer at 1.8 lb for larger individuals.

My advice would be the same that I mentioned in my last reply by starting with the Mattress Shopping Tutorial, which not only assists with guidance on how to find mattresses that contain good quality components, but also how to avoid ones that are not as high of a quality.

Phoenix

I’m not having a good sleep. I’m looking for possible solutions:

I’m using an old box spring from the 80s and a Coil-Spring Mattress Directly ontop of the box spring. No frame. The BB bed is directly ontop of all 3 and as I said sit directly on the floor. I’m wondering could this be causing me to develop aches and pains? I’m also noticing a noticeable sag now. It’s been less then a week.

I’m really desperate for a good night sleep. I really am.

Hi DarkJojo,

While I can’t tell what is causing you to sleep uncomfortably, you’re certainly not doing yourself any favours with your current set up. Using a 30+ year foundation (which is more than likely an inappropriate torsion system as I mentioned in my previous reply) is the first thing you should eliminate. Placing a mattress on top of that, and then placing your new mattress on top of both of these items, is creating an even more inappropriate surface for your mattress which virtually guarantees that your mattress will sag almost immediately.

You need to place your mattress upon a firm non-flexing (or very minimal flexing) surface, per Brooklyn Bedding. Use the guidelines in the foundation thread here as well if you need more guidance.

You would be much better served by placing your mattress directly upon the floor, as this would be preferable and more appropriate than your current setup.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix—I read it when I first purchased but will read again.

Hi rytiedye,

If you come up with new questions after reading through the guide, please let me know.

Phoenix

Do you think my back pains could possibly stem from this poor set up? I know that when I sleep directly on the mattress below it’s sheer agony. I have springs poking up in places.

Hi DarkJojo,

I can’t feel what you feel, so there would be no way for me to tell this with 100% certainty, but what I can tell is that you’re setting up your new mattress in a very improper configuration, and as I mentioned before you’re not doing yourself any favours with this set up. By placing your mattress upon something that is sagging, you’re negatively impacting support and alignment, which certainly can lead to back issues.

Put your mattress upon the floor and sleep on it in that manner. Proceeding with your current set up makes no sense at all and would not be conducive to restorative sleep with the lack of proper support under your new mattress.

That’s the best advice I can offer.

Phoenix

UPDATE:
3 weeks in to my medium BB #BME
im 6’2 190lbs
wife is 5’4 110lbs
side sleeprs
the bed is well made etc. etc. etc.
my wife loves it
but i feel like i’m bottoming out… like i go through the comfort layers too easily and there’s no gradual transition to the foundation

I WANT to love it but … I have to change sides 2-3 times a night or I wake up with a sore shoulder. I didnt have to do this in my old mem-foam mattress.
I have also been experiencing middle back pain/fatigue during the day, which I’ve never experienced before… its not happening IN the bed, but its a new sensation and the bed is the only thing ive changed.

gonna keep at it for a few more weeks but, so far I’m not sleeping awesome on it.

Hi cowtweets,

I’m sorry you’re sleeping uncomfortably on your BME. :frowning:

All of the layers of a mattress work in unison and while you wouldn’t be compressing any of the layers 100%, it could be that you desire a more gradual transition from the upper layers “bending into” and having their compressed ILD more closely matching that of the polyfoam core. It could also be that you desire a bit more/thicker amount of an upper “comfort layer” to assist with this, or a material that isn’t as resilient as latex (like the memory foam layer you used to have). Or it could be that the product just isn’t your personal preference, in which case you did make a good choice with the return policy offered.

The good news is that this “transition” as you’re describing it will become a bit more “gradual” as the mattress continues to break in. Hopefully it will be enough to where you find the product comfortable, but at least you are aware that you have return options if it doesn’t.

Out of curiosity, what type of a foundation are you using under your mattress?

Phoenix

yeah im guessing/hoping that after 2-3 months it will “break in” more
i’ve heard that BB will send foam toppers to help w/ comfort, but that kind of defeats the purpose of latex right?

no foundation, we just have a platform frame w/ wood slats
do you think a box spring would make a difference?

Hi cowtweets,

[quote]yeah im guessing/hoping that after 2-3 months it will “break in” more
i’ve heard that BB will send foam toppers to help w/ comfort, but that kind of defeats the purpose of latex right?[/quote]
Yes, BB will send out a topper to assist with comfort preference if you request that.

Using a memory foam topper above multiple latex layers won’t defeat the purpose of the latex, as you’ll still have some very durable and high-quality materials within your mattress. You’ll just be modifying the surface comfort of your product, and it may be that you prefer the feel of a memory foam over latex for the comfort layer. There’s certainly nothing wrong with that, as it comes down to personal preference. There will be a difference in the overall feel (you’ll be “in” the mattress just a bit more) and you may notice a difference in breathability/temperature, but if it works well for you, then it would still be a good quality combination.

[quote]no foundation, we just have a platform frame w/ wood slats
do you think a box spring would make a difference?[/quote]
Using a platform bed with a good slat network is fine and I would not replace it, as this is the style of surface upon which BB recommends you place your mattress. I would have more of a concern if you were using an actual coil box spring or something that sagged (which is why I was double-checking).

Phoenix

DO I need a boxspring for my bed? I noticed I needed slats with 3.5" or less spacing but, was curious as to if I needed a box psring or not.

Hi DarkJojo,

I’m not sure you’re clear between the difference between a box spring and a foundation, so I’ll describe each for you just to be sure.

A box spring has springs inside it that flex under the mattress and there are very few one sided mattresses today that use them as a support system and in many cases they will invalidate a mattress warranty. Most mattresses in the industry today need a steel or wooden bedframe with a foundation that has minimal to no flex (vs a box spring that flexes), or a platform bed which also has little to no flex under the mattress. There are many in the industry that mix up the terminology between box springs and foundations even though they are very different products, so this can make it quite confusing.

A foundation or platform bed with the proper slat spacing would be an appropriate surface upon which to place your mattress. Nothing additional would be needed.

Phoenix

(in reply to Phoenix’s post 735 from January 31st, in case anyone is wondering)

Thanks Phoenix! I half expected to be told that :). But I thought I’d ask, in case there were guidelines for lighter people (I recalled seeing some for heavier BMIs…but I could have misremembered).

I had used BB’s chat feature a few months ago, and the person I spoke with recommended the soft. Last week, I gave them a call as you suggested and the woman I spoke with recommended a medium, with the promise of a complementary mattress pad if it turned out to be too firm for me.

Her reasoning was that she wasn’t sure if I would be more comfortable with a soft or a medium, but with a medium the topper was an option. If the soft was too soft there would be nothing they could do to remedy the situation. It sounded logical to me, so that’s what I just ordered.

I’ll let you know how everything works out. Thanks for maintaining this incredibly helpful site!

Hi dontberidiculous,

Thanks for the reply.

While higher BMIs will definitely need more specific and durable materials, people with a lower BMI would find this to be more of an issue of their own personal comfort preference (of course making sure the materials used meet the minimum recommended durability guidelines). It is true that some people with lower BMIs tend to enjoy materials that are slightly “softer”, but that would be a generalization.

It is true that it’s much easier to add plushness to a product that provides adequate support but has a bit “too firm” of a surface comfort, but it is difficult to take a product that is too plush and make it “harder” on the surface.

Oh, and congratulations on your new mattress! :cheer: You certainly made a good quality/value choice. I’ll be interested in your feedback on it.

Phoenix

Hello everyone, I just had a quick question. I ordered a Brooklyn bedding best mattress ever, and was wondering in gerneral, how long after opening the bed and letting the bed expand before you can actually sleep on it? I had tried a Leesa previously, the off gassing was pretty bad. I literally let it set for 3 days before I could lay on it due to the odor. Otherwise it seemed expanded in 2 days. Anyone with insight or if you have anything to add Phoenix, I would be much obliged. Im just really excited to try the bed out. Thanks and happy hump day!

Hello Sleepyyinva (and all)-

I’m also new on the forum as of a few minutes ago (and I’m in Virginia as well!) We just received our BME (soft) yesterday. Opened it at 6 PM and had a great night’s sleep on it last night. I think it’s ready to sleep on pretty quickly- an hour or two really- but it will take several days for it to fully, completely expand. From what I’ve read, it does not hurt the mattress to sleep on it almost immediately (or we wouldn’t have done so.)

I researched heavily for a couple of weeks before ordering the mattress. This site was immensely helpful in making my decision. We had slept on an original 8" Tempur-Pedic for the last 13 years, and wanted something softer and more responsive. I’m extremely happy after the first night, my wife not so much. I feel like the mattress is very soft; she feels as though it’s firmer! (Phoenix’s writing about individual experiences being drastically different is spot-on!) Time will tell, and I’ll update as we go.

Thanks for this site, Phoenix!

Great to know. I also ordered the soft based on the mattress recommendations I found here and after speaking to a sales rep. Initially, they recommended the medium. I went with the soft after much deliberation. I am 6’ 140lbs, partner is 5’6 130lbs. We both prefer a softer comfort layer. They told me they would send me a topper if the medium was too firm. I am a gambling man lol.

Hi Sleepyinva,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Congratulations on ordering your new Best Mattress Ever :cheer: (I see form your other post you hose the Soft). You certainly made a good quality/value choice. I’ll be interested in your opinion on the product once you’ve had it for a while.

Once you cut open the product, it will “inflate” within a few minutes, and most people sleep upon it the first night. There is very little odor, as this product is using latex and polyfoam, as opposed to memory foam, which is what many people are sensitive to as far as odor. I would expect “complete” expansion within the first few days.

Phoenix

Hi Dr.Ake,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thank you for the feedback to Sleepyinva on your new BME mattress – and congratulations to you on your new mattress as well! :cheer: I’m happy that you’ll provide us updates as time goes on with your experience with your selection.

And I’m glad you found the information presented here on the site useful.

Phoenix