Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

Hi vickie123,

Thanks for your update and for sharing your video :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Just wanted to put in a few comments for those still shopping about the #bestmattressever that I received and setup yesterday. First thing I thought was “Oh my goodness they sent me a twin!” until the plastic was off and everything started expanding. It expanded pretty quick although I’m still noticing it’s about 3-4 inches off of the total width so I’m hoping that will still come in time as it’s only been about 14 hours (any personal experiences to share?). I did not notice any smell at all from the mattress until my son stuck his face in it and told me it smelled like pumpkin, so figured I’d mention it if anyone wondered what “off-gassing” on this bed smells like. So far, the first night sleeping on it was great, I ordered the king medium and it seems to be the perfect firmness for me, waiting to see how my husband feels after sleeping on it today since he likes a softer mattress and I actually like a soft/medium. Customer service was by far top notch and you can’t beat the return policy. All in all, pretty happy that I took the risk to order online, hopefully time will only make it better.

Hi rieno323,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it.

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments once your husband gets to try it for a few nights as well.

Phoenix

I got my BBBME in soft yesterday and it has been out of the box for over 24 hours. At first I was nervous I made a mistake and it was too soft but it actually is pretty perfect. I agree with others that there is virtually no edge support at all which I was expecting but the bigger problems is the mattress in nowhere close to being queen sized. It’s supposed to be 60x80 but mine measures out to 57x78. Hopefully it will get closer to queen size over the next couple days. Otherwise I am sadly going to have to initiate a return which would be a shame as so far it sleeps great but I paid for a queen sized mattress and thus far this isn’t one. I will report back in a few days to see how things go.

Hi zexpress,

There are some comments about sizing variances in post #2 here that should be helpful.

It’s not unusual that a compressed mattress can take a few days to regain it’s full size especially if it uses higher density materials (see Brooklyn Bedding’s comments in post #72 here as well) so I would wait a little longer but if you have followed the suggestions in the post I linked and if for some reason your mattress is still out of spec then I would call Mario at Brooklyn Bedding (either at their main number 888.210.8751 or his number 480.323.8831) to let him know and he will be happy to help you.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=54227]Hi zexpress,

There are some comments about sizing variances in post #2 here that should be helpful.

It’s not unusual that a compressed mattress can take a few days to regain it’s full size especially if it uses higher density materials (see Brooklyn Bedding’s comments in post #72 here as well) so I would wait a little longer but if you have followed the suggestions in the post I linked and if for some reason your mattress is still out of spec then I would call Mario at Brooklyn Bedding (either at their main number 888.210.8751 or his number 480.323.8831) to let him know and he will be happy to help you.

Phoenix[/quote]

Thanks, I am going to give it til Monday and will reach out to Mario if there are no changes. Honestly more concerning is that the 57x78 size is when I measure from the base foam, from the latex layers I am measuring an even smaller 55x77 but I will be patient as the bed sleeps well.

Hello all.
I am a new member here, but certainly not new to the website or forum. I must congratulate you all for providing what I think is the absolute best depository of mattress information and general help on the internet…and this is coming from a very picky Senior Mechanical Engineer that spends an insane amount of time researching everything before making a purchase (much to the dismay of my wife…LOL). Thank you all for your data and/or insights!

Following all of the research that I have performed regarding mattresses, both from a subjective standpoint and from technical data and construction, I have decided that the best fit for a mattress for me and my wife is most likely going to be the BB-BME. However, it will now be time for me to contact them directly to work out some of the finer details of firmness and support.

One question that I have is whether or not any of you have experience with this mattress laying on a solid platform. Our queen bed quite literally has a solid wood platform (no slats). At first, this would seem to be a no-no regarding breathability and heat retention (particularly since LOW heat was a major criteria of ours). However, after looking at the structure of the BB-BME, it would seem that the most significant portion of air ingress and egress would come from the sides of the mattress. However, I am not adverse to “adjusting” my bed’s platform surface (drilling, adding riser slats, etc.) if it needs to be perforated in some fashion. In fact, I just purchased a new 9mm that may be a fun way to do this (outside of course)… :ohmy:

Thanks in advance for your continued assistance.

Hi BoxerGuy,

As you know I think you are looking at a great quality/value choice.

A solid surface platform would be fine in terms of support but it also reduces airflow under the mattress which could add to the risk of moisture retention and possible mold or mildew issues under the mattress. In most cases it should be fine as long as there aren’t additional risk factors at play (such as using the mattress in a basement or in a more humid environment). Since airflow in the upper layers is the most important part of temperature regulation it will have little effect on the sleeping temperature of the mattress. There is more about solid surface support systems in post #10 here.

There is also more about the many variables that can affect temperature regulation in post #2 here.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I would love to help you adjust that platform. My 500 Mag may be too much but a 40 or a 9 should work nicely.
Seriously, congratulations on making your decision – BB has a great return policy should you need it. Hopefully you both will love it as we love ours.
Regards,
Jeff

Still loving my new Brooklyn Bedding mattress, I saw that some people were having trouble with the sizing of the mattress I have had mine now for over a week or so and mine originally was about an inch and a half to two inches short on the width but since has settled nicely to the correct size. I called to ask about this in the beginning and they reassured me when I spoke with them.

Customer service has been great, these guys respond really quickly, nice to see in the burn and turn world we live in today. Hope you all are having the same experience I am with this company. Very pleased.

Thx

Hi sjramos,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

For the sake of others that have had any concerns about the dimensions of their mattress there is a video here about how Brooklyn Bedding compresses their BestMattressEver for shipping and as you can see it is compressed in both width and height (most roll pack machines only compress the thickness) so it’s not unusual at all that it can take a little extra time to fully decompress and reach its final dimensions.

Phoenix

So in love with our new queen size medium firmness mattress from Brooklyn Bedding. It shipped within a few days and was so easy to unwrap. I love the fact that we didn’t have to carry a giant mattress up 3 flights of stairs and try to maneuver it through doors. It is by far the softest and most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on. I’ve slept the best I have in a long time these last few nights on my new mattress. Not only is the comfort level amazing, but they are also very affordable. I am looking forward to many great nights of sleep and I know I will not regret doing business with Brooklyn Bedding. Check out the link to my video that I posted of a friend and I unwrapping the mattress!

Anyone else have any feedback on this product?

Update to prior post, our king size Brooklyn bed has now reached its full size, within the 1/2" tolerance range and my husband finds the medium soft enough for his comfort as well, online purchase success! Now comes the fun part of building the storage platform bed I want but I’m wondering about the airflow needed. We plan on having two bookshelf type cubbies under the bed about 24" in depth each and then slats to connect in the middle to cover the 28" span. Found the below idea on pinterest and I’m wondering if the holes drilled above the cubbies would provide enough airflow for the sides of the mattress that are not slats.

Hi rieno323,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

There are some comments about solid surface support systems in post #10 here but if you have some holes drilled in the top surface on each side and slats in the middle then I would think you will be fine.

Phoenix

Since receiving our new mattress on July 7th we have had the following experience with our new Best Mattress Ever size king medium from Brooklyn Bedding.

Disclaimer: I have not yet contacted the manufacturer since we have not had it long enough to give it the full benefit of the doubt. This is strictly a factual assessment. I decided to order mattress after following this thread and deciding this mattress would likely be a good replacement for a very old mattress and boxspring (30+years)

I opened the mattress in a different bedroom because the new base had not arrived yet. The mattress expanded for 3 days before attempting to move it to its new home. Based on reviews here and the fact that it didn’t look as big as the king bed I opened it on I decided to measure the bed. The mattress measured 81" X 71" compared to the standard 82" X 76"as ordered. I observed the sides of the mattress had some rather significant indentations in the area where the latex is supposed to be. The support layer of Poly reaches all the way to the outer edges of the cover but the latex appears to not have expanded to fill the voids between the top and bottom.
Moving the mattress to a different bedroom I had already anticipated might be a challenge since the nature of foam mattresses seems to be rather floppy so to speak.

I tried to stand the mattress on either the side or end and found both options unmanageable. I had to add some rigidity in order for me and my better half to be able to move the mattress. She does not have the strength to lift the mattress vertically and shuffle across the floor with it due to and unsteady foot from a failed surgery. I tried folding the mattress with no success from side to side. Since it appeared to be void free at the ends I decided to fold it in half lengthwise to attempt to move it. I went and got a 2x4 and some ratcheting tie downs from my truck. I placed the 2x4 in the middle of the mattress and used one tie down on each side to fold the mattress in half lengthwise. I left the packing clear plastic wrapped around the two folded ends so we could slide the bound and tied mattress across the floor to another room. The roller used to package these mattresses must have an incredible amount of power since it took a great deal of time to get the mattress folded in half enough to pass through the bedroom doorway using the tie-downs.
I am a fairly strong 60 year old individual and this move took a great deal more effort than I anticipated due to the bulk of this mattress. My better half whom I consider fairly strong had a hard time managing her end of the 2x4 to say the least.
We finally got the mattress to it’s new location after enlisting the help of a four wheel furniture dolly since sliding the package across the living room floor ended up not working so well.

Sleeping on the new mattress has been an experience. We are used to the softness of a memory foam topper which is very different from this medium hybrid latex with poly top.
I can tell I am sleeping on a very flat mattress since I no longer toss and turn and my pillow actually feels like it belongs under my head (the old mattress was so depressed in the middle I slept without a pillow). My better half is unhappy with the stiffness of the new mattress since she is used to the memory foam topper. We both awoke after the first night complaining of a sore back. The second night was a little better. The third night is about to be.

I feel like we got a different mattress than ordered since this medium has so little give to it and it feels extremely firm, I truly think there is something wrong with our order as received.
The bed appears to be the length of a regular king and the width of a California king. That said I have plenty of time to judge the mattress and will give it more time then measure again.

I will follow up with another post giving some more time and after talking with the company about the issues I have encountered so far.

Thanks
Bob

Hi B4Bob,

What size did you order?

82" x 76" doesn’t match any of the standard sizes so I’m not clear what the dimensions of your mattress should be.

Although different manufacturers can have slight variances in their standard sizing … the ISPA (International Sleep Products Association) standard sizes are listed in post #2 here and a California King should be about 72" x 83.5" (+/- an inch) and an Eastern King size should be about 76" x 79.5" (again +/- an inch).

There have been a few members that have commented that it took longer than they expected for their mattress to reach it’s final dimensions but your measurements are a little unusual because in most cases the initial dimensions were slightly less than the standard dimensions for the first few days but the measurements you posted are both longer and narrower than an Eastern King would normally be and are the right width (within an inch) but shorter than a California King would normally be.

There is generally a break in and adjustment period with any new mattress over the course of the first few weeks as the foams in your mattress lose any of their “false firmness” and the cover loses any of its initial stiffness and you get used to the feel of a mattress that is different from the memory foam you were used to sleeping on so your experience can change over the course of the first few weeks.

Having said that … there are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels medium for one person can feel like “firm” for someone else or “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here). This is all relative and subjective and is as much an art as a science.

If your mattress is still firmer than you are comfortable with once you have slept on it for a few weeks then it’s possible that the firmness choice you made wasn’t the most suitable choice for you but of course that’s the reason for the 120 day trial period so you can test the mattress in your bedroom by actually sleeping on it instead of testing it in a showroom.

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it. I’ll be interested in your follow up comments after you’ve talked with Brooklyn Bedding and of course about how the mattress feels to you once you’ve slept on it for a little longer as well.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix (and others)–

I’ve begun my mattress search and I’m obviously encouraged by the good feedback (as well as the active response to negative feedback) I’ve seen given here by others, and by Mario at BB. I have a few questions with which I’m hoping I can get some help.

Did BB recently move away from a multi-line, 10-level firmness offering, to a single-line (Best Mattress Ever), 3-level firmness offering? While I see evidence online of other mattresses and firmness levels attributed to BB, these all appear to me to be “legacy.” I don’t have a problem with this, but if BB’s website currently supports a mattress option other than Best Mattress Ever, I don’t see it.

I was curious to know if there are any people with my general profile who have purchased from BB recently. I’m a guy who knows where to put his pizza (5’11", 300–hey, I’m working on it). But, thankfully, I’m also a guy who knows how to steal his wife’s pizza (she’s less than half my weight). This weight disparity concerns me as I’m looking at mattress options where the sides aren’t “split” in firmness. I get the impression that the BME cannot be ordered in a split configuration. I’d be interested to hear from anyone who purchased a BME that either has a significant weight disparity with their partner, or who loves pizza as-much or almost-as-much as I do, if that’s explicit enough.

Finally, we will be relocating to Phoenix (the city, not the forum participant) at the end of the month, and it is for these new living arrangements that I’d be looking to purchase a mattress. Unfortunately, I have a very tight (48-hour) window in which I’d have to receive, or supply, a mattress at my new location (will be there for 48 hr, then gone for several weeks). As I’ll have a moving truck already, I wonder if it’s possible for me to physically get a BME mattress either at the warehouse, or somewhere in the metro Phoenix area, on a particular day. (I probably should direct this question to BB, but thought I’d ask in case anyone got a BME mattress this way.)

Thanks for all the useful information on the site, and thanks to those of you who’ve contributed in this particular thread.

The ordered size was standard or eastern king. My mistake I meant 80x76 as ordered. The 71" width measurement was a real surprise and far narrower than expected. I have not had it long enough to allow our bodies to adjust.

Hello B4Bob,

Thank you for your order! Please keep me updated on your experience, and do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Thank you,
Mario
Brooklyn Bedding