Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

Well, I’m seriously debating on returning.

I bought this in Feb and not had a good night since.

I’ve even moved the mattress to the floor. but, that’s not made my situation any better.

Would putting it on a bedframe make it work better or should I go ahead and do a return? I’m getting so frustrated. I can not find a bed that wont hurt my back and I don’t have the money for a super expensive one. I have not had a good night sleep it’s affecting my health now.

Hi DarkJojo,

I’m not sure how much of what you’re experiencing is due to your past poor set up underneath your mattress and how much might be due to your specific needs. In past posts, you stated you were placing your new mattresses on a 30+ year old box spring, then upon a 30+ year old box spring plus a coil mattress with springs poking through it, and now on the floor. I’m unsure if the mattress is directly upon the floor (which I’ve recommended in your situation) and if that is indeed the case how long you’ve been using that set up, as of February 13 you had stated that you were still using the old box spring and old mattress underneath your new mattress, which wouldn’t have given you too much time to properly test out your new mattress.

I’m also unsure which actual mattress you currently have. I know you had returned a Casper mattress but all you’ve mentioned is that you now have a Brooklyn Bedding product, but I don’t know which model, so I can’t offer any guidance without that information.

Using a bedframe would have no impact versus having the mattress directly upon the floor, and if your budget is limited you’d be better off putting your resources into any mattress you might be considering versus any sort of bedframe, and of course making sure that you are not using your old box spring or old mattress in any manner in combination with your new mattress, as these old components certainly would be contributing to the poor performance of any new mattress you have had, currently have, or may wish to consider.

I can do my best to provide some guidance, but I would need specific answers to:

• Your current exact mattress model?
  • Is the mattress directly upon the floor?
  • If so, how long have you been sleeping on the mattress with it being directly upon the floor?

Thanks!

Phoenix

• Your current exact mattress model? The Full sized Medium.
  • Is the mattress directly upon the floor? Yes, I’ve long since moved it to the floor.
  • If so, how long have you been sleeping on the mattress with it being directly upon the floor? A week.

Hi DarkJojo,

Thank you for your updates. So you have a Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever in the Medium and you’ve been sleeping on it for a week on the floor (meaning the mattress is directly upon the floor with nothing underneath it).

As you’ve only had the mattress for a week on a “proper” flat surface that won’t impact the feel and cause it to give more than it should (which could exacerbate any back issues/pains that you may have), I would recommend that you try and test it out in this configuration for a few more weeks. The time you spent previously with the Casper mattress and the BME with the box spring and/or old mattress underneath them can’t be used as a reliable indicator of performance or comfort, as those underlying surfaces weren’t appropriate and wouldn’t have allowed you to gain a good analysis of how the products performed.

If you could, I would suggest sleeping upon the mattress for a few more weeks in this manner and see if you become more comfortable. You may have a bit of “learned alignment” for your older sleep system, which can take a few weeks to adjust when your body is presented with a product that provides the chance for a better or more neutral alignment.

There is some information about the many different symptoms/pains that people may experience on a mattress and some of the most common causes behind them in post #2 here that may be helpful, but as you’re only one week into using the mattress on the floor I wouldn’t think that you’ve had a long enough time to truly acquire a good analysis to evaluate your current mattress, or have come up with enough good details to help point you in a new direction.

Hopefully you can use the mattress on the floor for a few more weeks and see if things get better for you, or if not then make a decision to move on to something else, but at least be armed with some better information to help you choose again.

Phoenix

Thanks for the help. We’ve been using the US Box Spring with the mattress for a few weeks now. It’s definitely an improvement and seems much more consistent and stable.

How much indentation/body impression should you expect to develop on the mattress? By morning (and probably earlier than that), there is a definitely noticeable body impression where I’ve been laying. If I slide to the middle of the bed (where just our 22 pound dog lays), there is a noticeable upslope.

The impression is still there even an hour later and seems to gradually go away over the day. By night, he impression is mostly gone. Maybe it’s there slightly relative to the mostly unused middle.

Is this normal? It’s not a huge issue unless the impression becomes more permanent or deeper.

The mattress does seem to firm over the course of the night as my body sinks in. Not much but it seems barely noticeable. Still, the mattress is already a bit firm for me, so it doesn’t help. Is this normal?

Finally, are there recommendations for mattress toppers/pads or whatever their called? It doesn’t look like BB makes them; though, I thought I read about people mentioning them. More softness in the comfort layers would make it more comfortable (kind of wishing we went with the BBE Soft).

Thanks!

HI atomheartmother,

I’m glad things have improved. People often underestimate the importance of the surface upon which their new mattress is placed.

All foams soften a bit over time, and with any new mattress there will be a loss of the initial “false firmness”, mostly within the first 90 days or so, and the more gradually thereafter. To help even this out, you can try to use as much of the mattress as possible so that it “breaks in” more evenly.

The latex used in the upper layers of your mattress will have an instant response back to resting height, but there could be a slight recovery of the quilted polyfoam and fiber in the quilt panel as the day goes on. Also, there will be even more “loft recovery” in any poly filled quilting you may have in your mattress pad as the day goes on as well.

Some body impressioning is normal, and your warranty allows for up to 1" of impressions before it can be considered a defect in materials.

Your body won’t sink in much more throughout the night than when you first get into the mattress, as there are no viscoelastic (memory foams) present in the mattress than become softer (less viscous) with your body heat through the night. The latex and the polyfoam core beneath generally stay quite consistent. If a mattress is too firm for you, you don’t want to sink in more in the deeper areas, as this would negatively impact alignment. Your better option would be the addition of a topper or change to slightly softer upper comfort foam layers.

Brooklyn Bedding does have a topper line (mattresstopper.com). There are also some topper guidelines in post #8 here that you can use, and some of the better sources for toppers of which I am aware are in [url=https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/foam-factory-any-good]post #4 here[url].

Phoenix

Hi, I gave it a month. If anything the pain has become worse. I’m getting rid of it. Perhaps I should go to sometinh softer? It feels way too firm for me and as such as I’m able to geta g/n sleep.

Hi DarkJojo,

I’m sorry your mattress isn’t working out well for you. Based upon the previous sleeping arrangements you’ve described, it certainly may be that you prefer something that is more plush on top that allows you to sink in more deeply, and it may be what your alignment is used to or simply what you prefer, and that’s the best advice I can offer with the information you’ve provided using my “theory at a distance”. In the end, your own personal testing and results will be the most reliable indicator of which direction you should proceed.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

We’ve been slow in getting our return started- busy with life, you know. So, today I’m thinking about things and looking to get the process going finally, when I look at the Brooklyn Bedding website and see that their #BestMattressEver has been updated with a new design that has NO latex. In place of latex is now “TITANFLEX™ FOAM”. Hmmm. What do you think about this development? Did too many people not like latex? Is this cheaper to produce? What the heck? I will certainly be interested to find out if this new foam is slightly softer than the latex, and maybe we’ll stay with BB.

Here’s the poop on TITANFLEX™: TitanFlex - Brooklyn Bedding

Hi Dr.Ake,

Welcome back!

The evolution of the BME spec has been a topic of discussion in a separate thread for a few weeks and your questions are addressed over there in a bit more detail, including some comments from Mario at Brooklyn Bedding. You can read through the whole thread if you desire, and I start addressing the questions in this post.

Phoenix

Well, I bought this mattress back in March and I came back to this thread for a couple of reasons. First, I wanted to thank you, Phoenix, for all the hard work and information on this site. It was immensely helpful as I chose a new mattress for myself and I appreciate having this great resource. I also wanted to thank all those who contributed to this thread. While I know reading reviews on a mattress is sort of like reading a review of how people like a certain food (everyone is different), I did find a lot of helpful information here. I have been sleeping so well! After many years of severe back pain any time I attempted to sleep on my back or stomach, I am able to sleep on both for short periods of time with no discomfort. I am mainly a side sleeper and this has felt so wonderful for me. I am very sad that they changed the bed to a newer configuration, as I feel this one is absolutely perfect for myself and my fiancé, and we were considering buying another for my guest bedroom.

At any rate, thank you so much for all your help and information.

Hi dknees,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!, and congratulations on your BME mattress! :cheer: I’m happy that you’re sleeping better, and I hope that you’ll be able to post back again after you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a longer time.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I have progress to report! When inquiring about returns/exchanges, I asked Lillian at Brooklyn Bedding whether the new BME composition would be any softer and more to our liking. (No!) She said the new BME should have the same characteristics and feel as the old one, then suggested the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex as their softest option. Was going to do this but started thinking about the problem. (If going this route, I realized later that one could save $250 with the Ultimate Dreams Latex instead- same composition but without the zippered cover and ability to swap layers.)

Thinking primarily of my wife’s issues with the BME- too firm, lack of pressure relief and motion transfer- I realized that latex might not be the best material for us. I had been leaning towards the Helix, but now wanting something even more “dead” I did a 180 and bought the Alexander Signature in soft. I’m happy to say there is hardly any motion transfer, and edge support is much better than the BME. We’ve only slept on it three nights, so we can’t say that it’s right for us yet but we both like it so far. A month or two in and I’ll report back.

While I hate to see it go, the BME is being donated Tuesday to an excellent charitable organization.

Thanks!

Hi Dr.Ake,

Thanks for your update. I’m sorry to hear that the BME didn’t work out for you, but you did have the foresight to know that it had a good trial period, and now it is being upcycled to someone less fortunate.

While as you mentioned you’ve only had your new mattress for a few days, it may have been exactly what you said that you prefer a less resilient material that is still point elastic on top, and the Alexander Signature Soft, using a total of 4" of memory foam in the upper layers, might be a good solution.

I’m looking forward to your future updates and I hope that this comfort works out well for your both.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Unfortunately, six weeks into this new mattress, and we’ve decided that the Alexander Signature isn’t going to be a keeper. We both liked it at first (we’d like to end the search!) but have found it to sleep way too hot, plus my wife isn’t loving the support and is not waking refreshed. I find there’s too much sinkage (we did get a soft) but that’s what you get with memory foam. A failed experiment. And 13" is too thick!

Might be going back to try the Helix now. Unless… you can comment on the Luxi? Isn’t it an interesting design? Do you think those collapsing columns are going to come apart within a few years in the soft configuration? I’m wondering why I haven’t seen more about this mattress online. I searched here on the forum and didn’t find any information other than a disgruntled customer. I just discovered it a couple of days ago- can’t remember where- and am very intrigued.

thanks-
drake

I miss my BME! But my wife doesn’t. We could end up with two different twin XLs.

Hi Dr. Ake,

I’m sorry to hear that your Nest Alexander Signature Soft isn’t meeting with your needs. :frowning: At least it does have a good return policy and your were wise enough to choose something that yo could try and return if it didn’t turn out as well as you had hoped. You are correct that it is a quite plush product, with the 1.5’ quilt polyfoam and then the total of 4" of memory foam, and this much plush material certainly will allow for you to sleep a bit more “in” the mattress. I’m not sure of the focus of your comment regarding the 13" being too thick – perhaps you meant for your specific application?

You can read a bit about the construction of the Luxi here. The complete specifications are listed in the Simplified Choice Thread here.

Engineered polyfoam designs similar to this are more common in Europe and I would not have the concern of the columns falling apart after only a few years.

I can’t comment as I am unaware of the methods that Luxi uses to promote themselves, but an internet search pulls up quite a bit of information about them, mostly “reviews” from referral sites, which is common with many online mattress companies. I wouldn’t use the fact of whether or not it is mentioned frequently online as one of my main points for considering the product.

A forum search on Luxi (just click on the link) will bring up quite a bit more information about them on the site as well. They do use better quality materials and they have a unique design from someone very knowledgeable in the foam industry, so they are certainly are worth considering. I did question the validity of the one post you are referencing here on the site, and I let it stand more as an example of someone with a personal vendetta unsuccessfully attempting to create negative feedback about a product, which actually ends up having the opposite effect and reflects more negatively on the poster.

That is a solution that is more common than many people realize! :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Quick update- Luxi has been slept on four nights and is great! I’m trying the medium side and wife is on soft. Sleeping much cooler than on the Alexander Signature. Only problem noticed immediately is that there is much more motion transfer than we expected, having read many reviews and comments about the mattress having almost none at all, because of the split-down-the-middle design.

Alexander Signature is being picked up/donated next week.

To get my comments somewhat back to the thread topic of the BME, the Luxi feels similar to the BME in both soft and medium configurations. The latex feel is back and I’m happy!

I’ll only post in the Luxi thread from here on.

Hi Dr.Ake,

I’m glad that you’re enjoying your new Luxi mattress! Regarding motion transfer, the layers are still in the same encasement and touching each other, so there will be some transfer of motion waves. But also, you’d want to look at your foundation and frame set up, as those are connected and can result in quite a bit of the motion transfer that you feel. What is your current set up for that?

I’m glad you were able to have that arranged for your return.

It can be surprising how different mixes of componentry can result in “similar” types of comfort, isn’t it?

I’ve never been too strict of a stickler for that, so if you’d like to keep posting here in this thread for ease of reference, you’re welcome to do so.

Phoenix

[quote=“Dr.Ake” post=72950]the Luxi feels similar to the BME in both soft and medium configurations. The latex feel is back and I’m happy!
[/quote]
As I understand it the current Luxi is not Latex, but it used to be… and same for BME! Which Luxi do you have (older latex or newer non), and which BME do you think it feels similar to (older latex or newer non)?