Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

For my mattress the dip is worse when both layers are set to the soft firmness with the SBT layer up. My mattress is a queen size.

The dip is still noticeable when one side is medium and one side soft. The dip is least noticeable when both sides are medium but still there.

The mesh sock around the layer is fine, lining up. Plenty of people love this mattress and do not complain of a dip so it could very well just be the one I was sent.

On one of our two mattresses (inside a single King) a corner of the sock was a bit tighter and not fitting as well, compressing a corner, but I simply rotated that corner to the outside bottom where it isn’t a problem. I’ll see if I can adjust that myself next time we expose the layers when I switch to the soft for awhile on my side. We do not have any dip whatsoever between the two sides so I’m very sorry to hear that some do. Ours seems to really be smooth across the whole surface despite being customized- one side soft and one side medium.

I did not mention before how well made and substantial the outer cover is. It requires careful alignment when being zipped back together, but the thickness and the material is impressive. Still liking the Luxi!

Sorry about putting that link in there. Just wanted to show that others (even if a questionable source) recommended the Luxi as a low motion transfer mattress. And yes, I did believe them!

I wonder if the tighter fitting, thicker cover might increase motion transfer, as it effectively makes the two sides move as one.

Latex, also, isn’t the ideal mattress for those wanting low motion transfer as I understand it, as it is “bouncy” and more “responsive” as compared to foam. Both the Luxi and the BME I find to be much more bouncy and responsive than the Nest Bedding Alexander Signature, which is memory foam. We did try the Alexander for it’s lower motion transfer, which it definitely had, but ended up not liking the “feel” of the memory foam.

I’m starting to think we got completely different mattresses . My cover is really thin and not thick at all. This is partially why I can feel the columns of the sbt layer through the top when I have my side set to soft. I also find that I can feel every area that has the quilted lines and because they just go horizontally across the whole mattress it feels like I am sleeping on a ribbed pool float.

My cover is not plush or thick at all. I think if it was thicker and had maybe a list some plushness to it the Luxi could have ended up working ok for me, not perfect but ok. My solution right now until returning is to put a very thick flannel sheet under my regular summer sheets (linen/cotton) so that the quilting lines don’t feel so ribbed.

Hi Dr.Ake,

No worries at all! I’ve had some issues with such sites surreptitiously attempting to use TMU for their own SEO and promotion.

It ultimately depends upon the tightness of the cover, but in this case making the items “less independent” can increase the transfer of motion waves in the sections.

Memory foam is the best at motion isolation but latex and pocket coils are good for this as well (see post #18 here). Post #2 here talks about latex and motion separation. Overall I would think it’s reasonable to say and most manufacturers would agree that latex is “good” with motion separation, especially the slower heavier types of movement such as turning over or bouncing or getting out of bed and are an improvement over other materials (except memory foam) but again this depends on the type of movement or vibration and the specific construction of the mattress, the ticking and quilting materials, and the materials or components above and below the latex and even the bedding above the latex as well.

And if the memory foam layer was changed to another foam in the newer Luxi design, this could also have a negative impact upon motion transfer characteristics (Luxi still hasn’t replied to me regarding the newer materials).

Phoenix

My wife doesn’t feel individual columns of the sbt layer on her soft side of the Luxi, nor did I when trying it out for a few minutes. While the cover is not as plush or thick as the Alexander Signature we just tried (or the BME before that) I find it just right. I actually like the horizontal quilting, as I feel it’s better to have uniform lines that assist the pressure relief equally across my body rather than intermittent, diagonal dips. I will now always think of a pool float when I look at the mattress, as the lines are definitely visible under the sheets!

Hi lowbmi,

Not meaning to sound silly here, but you are describing the quilted covering that encases the entire mattress, and not just around the SBT unit, correct?

Phoenix

Hi All,

Have been MIA for a while but did get this response from Luxi that I wanted to pass along:

Dr.Ake,

I hope that you are enjoying all the aspects of sleeping on your new Luxi. I think trying different settings is a great idea. Sleep is so subjective that you may even notice that once your body adjusts you no longer feel the motion transfer. However, if you continue to feel like you aren’t able to get a good nights sleep please let us know once you have allowed your body time to adjust. As far as the latex issue. We are now using LuxiTex. It is a new technology Springy/Bouncy foam that feels like but avoids any of the safety concerns of the Latex. This is beneficial to our clients and the environment. I hope this helps and please let me know if you are not sleeping better on your Luxi.
Samantha
Luxi | A Better Mattress By Design"

So it’s “LuxiTex!”

Hi Dr.Ake,

Thanks for the update of your correspondence with Luxi. I did comment upon the revised Luxi specifications a few days ago in post #2 here.

Unfortunately, your reply from Luxi wasn’t very informative about the density of the material, but as I previously commented it appears to be one of the new breed of what I term “high performance” polyfoams. Luxi still hasn’t responded to my requests for more complete information on their new design, but if they do I’ll be sure to update things here on the site.

Thanks again for sharing.

Phoenix

Small update:

I ultimately decided to stay with the Mattress. I’m glad I did as I know now it’s me not the mattress. All the pains and aches are not from the mattress but, from me. Sometimes I wake up with an excellent sleep and other times in pain. I’m unsure of what is causing it but, at least I know it’s not the mattress. But, I will say with this Topper I now can sleep so much better. I love this Mattress.

Hi DarkJojo:

Thank you for the update!

I’m sorry top hear about your infrequent discomfort issues, but I’m glad to learn that you are enjoying your mattress with the topper.

I hope you’re able to discover the reasoning for those pains in the future.

Phoenix

DarkJojo,

Please reach out and let us know if there is anything we can help you with. I am sorry to hear if the mattress had not worked out. It is best to contact one of my reps or myself. We can help get you sleeping comfortably.

Thank you,

Would the BME have a crown in the middle since it has a quilted top and the way the sides are attached down?

Hi Napper,

Depending upon how tightly the side panels was joined via the tape edge to the top panel (there is always variation, as mattresses are still hand made), and the cut of the top panel, there can initially be some slightly “higher” areas in the center of a mattress, especially in a larger size. It also depends upon where people sleep upon a new mattress. All of this will tend to settle in a bit as any new mattress breaks in and is used more uniformly.

Phoenix

Phoenix- So are you suggesting that for solo sleepers, it would be good to not always sleep in the same spot each night? Thanks.

Hi PackerBackerCH,

There will be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as the mattress loses some of its “false firmness” and the cover stretches and loosens a little (see post #3 here). This would typically be a few weeks but it can be shorter or longer depending on the specifics of the person and the mattress. You can sleep in different areas of the mattress, or be a little more frequent with mattress rotations to help to expedite this “settling-in” process.

Phoenix

OK, sounds good- thanks!

Hi PackerBackerCH,

You’re welcome.

Phoenix

Just dropping in to give my thoughts on the soft best mattress ever (note that I’m on the old version when they just called it the best mattress ever before they went hybrid) - I feel like mine started out too firm, they sent me a topper to help break it in, and it gradually got softer and softer so I took off the topper, and now with no topper I still feel like it’s too soft! I feel like it continued to get softer past the trial period and I would not purchase another soft mattress. For reference I’m a side sleeper 120 lbs who often sits in bed to read, and I particularly dislike sitting in bed with too much sinkage, but I also feel like my hips sink too much when lying down.

Hi skysongz.

I’m sorry your BMI mattress doesn’t work out well for you. At your weight after the adjustment period, the 4" of latex (2" of Talalay on top of 2" of Dunlop) within this mattress should not get softer “gradually” but keep its feel quite well over time. within the “breaking-in period” latex will soften only slightly with most of the adjustment coming from the fabric covering. I’d try to identify if the source of “softening” is not coming from the support system of your mattress or I’d look for any signs of premature sagging coming from a defective layer. Whenever someone comments about a mattress having a sag or sinking in too much into latex over time, I always suggest a “ground up” assessment to make sure that there is nothing under the mattress that may be contributing to the “sinkage” when lying down. I would first check the frame and support system under the mattress to make sure that it is perfectly flat and that there are no parts that are sagging or that are bending under the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it. It should provide similar support to having your mattress on the floor and you can test this by putting your mattress on the floor to see if it makes any difference. If it does then it’s possible that your support system could be part of the problem as well. While it would be unusual … if either of your latex layers are defective and there are visible impressions that are deeper than they should be then I would certainly talk to them about a warranty claim.

Phoenix