Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

I just wanted to provide a quick update on the mattress that I purchased from Brooklyn Bedding. So far, it hasn’t disappointed at all. In fact, it has exceeded my expectations. I am sleeping better and not waking up all the time in the middle of the night like I usually do. The mattress that I purchased was a medium firmness I have found it to be extremely comfortable. I also like the fact that this is a latex mattress and not an inner-spring. I personally prefer latex mattresses over anything else.

Also, I was extremely pleased with the customer service I received from Mario at Brooklyn Bedding. He was helpful, personable, and professional. I plan on sending all my friends and family to him in the future and buying my next mattress from them. And I also plan to send people to this forum so that they can research a bed before purchasing it like I did. Thanks again Phoenix and Mario.

Hi ActionJackson,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update with your comments and feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s also great to hear that you are sleeping so well on your new mattress!

Phoenix

Chiming in on BB’s BME… My queen medium arrived on Friday. Up and running in a matter of minutes. No smells at all. Very comfortable and plush feeling. I’ve been suffering with lower back issues for the better part of four months now. I won’t say my problems have disappeared but I will say this is an extremely comfortable bed that replaced my 7 year old Simmons Beauty Rest (RIP Simmons, I don’t miss ya).

If I had one drawback to list about this bed it’d be the side-sitting issue. I sit on the bedside every morning when I put on my shoes for work. I feel like I’m slipping off the side of the bed. Also, when I hop up onto the bed, I have to maneuver toward the center so I don’t feel like I’m sliding.

I have the bed on the boxspring that came with its predecessor. It sleeps like a dream. Perfect temperature (even with my night sweats). . I never want to get out of this bed when I’m in it.

But that sitting on the side thing… I have about 114 days left to decide how much that really matters to me. It might be a dealbreaker though I hope not because I did a ton of research that led me to select this bed.

Here’s hoping!

Michele

Hi sinistre,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you decided and for sharing your comments and feedback … I appreciate it.

As you know you made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Unlike most innerspring mattresses … most foam mattresses (latex foam, memory foam, or polyfoam) don’t have (or even really need) edge support as long as the firmness of the support core and the thickness of the comfort layers are suitable for your body weight when you are sleeping. Foam mattresses will generally feel softer and compress more deeply if you sleep with most of your weight on the very outside edges of the mattress or if you sit on the very edge of the mattress because your weight is more concentrated when you are sitting than when you are sleeping on the mattress (see post #33 here).

While there are always exceptions … in most cases and for most people this is just a matter of getting used to a foam mattress (particularly if you are used to a spring mattress with edge support) and perhaps sitting a little bit more towards the center of the mattress rather than on the very outside edge.

I’m looking forward to any additional comments you have the chance to share over the course of the next 114 days.

Phoenix

I may be missing this but is the code available for the 5% off and free pillows? Going to call Leesa tomorrow for a return…I woke up this morning at 4:30 with a numb right arm. I couldn’t fall back asleep after that.

Hi npolite,

The members here qualify for a 5% discount (not free pillows) but it can’t be “stacked” with other discounts that may also be available. The discount code is listed in the membership list here.

Phoenix

After initially considering the Dreamfoam Arctic Dreams, I ultimately settled on the Brooklyn Bedding BME in the “medium” firmness. My mattress arrived yesterday, and I slept on it for the first time last night. The oder was minimal and not at all offensive. The mattress was a little firmer than anticipated for a medium, but I did find it very comfortable…

The other thing I noticed was how heavy it was for a small package. While weight doesn’t necessarily mean quality, this mattress is definitely made of solid and substantial material. Based on the specs, I’m comfortable that this is a high quality mattress for the money and will hopefully serve me well for years to come.

Hi Gate89,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding.

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice especially in your higher weight range … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to any additional comments you have the chance to share as you go through the break in and adjustment period over the course of the next few weeks and have the chance to sleep on it for a little longer.

Phoenix

Months later, and the mattress has broken in very well. I’m going to buy a second for guests! I felt it was a bit firm to start, but about 100 days in it started feeling much softer. Give it time if you’re on the fence.

Hi RJ29,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s also great to hear that once you went through a little longer break in and adjustment period that your firmness choice worked out so well for you.

Pheonix

I’ve had the BME for about 6 months now. I originally read about it here on Mattress Underground, and have been very happy with the purchase.

My wife and I had actually ordered a Casper first, which we sent back after realizing that neither of us liked the feel of Dunlop latex as a top layer. After watching a few youtube videos of people squishing up different kinds of latex, I decided that I wanted a talalay top layer, maybe with dunlop underneath. The BME fit the bill. My wife and I both sleep on our backs, stomachs, and sides, and have been very satisfied. I think the combination of the talalay on top of dunlop makes it feel more like a traditional innerspring, but without the pressure points. Definitely worth checking out if that’s what you are looking for.

Hi anthony3,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you ended up deciding and for your 6 month update and feedback as well, I appreciate it.

Like the others that have purchased it I think you made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I know I’m late to this but My Green Mattress is one of the companies I’m considering purchasing from.

I was about to order when I found this post and noticed they use a small amount of polyester. I’m concerned not only by their lack of disclosure on their website regarding this, but also because I’m reading here that they’ve stated it’s less than 5%. However, another person that has contacted them about this has been told it’s 10-15%. It makes me wonder what else they could be hiding.

Hi fsumom,

I have known Tim and My Green Mattress for years and have had many detailed conversations with them about their mattresses and they are one of the most open and transparent manufacturers in the industry and I can certainly confirm that nobody there has any intention of hiding anything from their customers. I would keep in mind that we wouldn’t even be having this discussion except as a result of information that they provided.

Like other good manufacturers … they are also constantly looking for new sources for materials and components (including their wool) that can improve the quality and value of their mattresses but any good manufacturer will always make the performance of their materials and components and the best interests of the majority of their customers their first priority over other less important considerations (or the criteria or preferences of a much smaller percentage of their customers).

I have talked with Tim and in the case of their wool quilting their current wool supplier uses about 12% polyester fiber (which may vary slightly in either direction) in order to keep the consistency of the wool in their quilting more even and to prevent thicker and thinner spots in the wool. This would meet any reasonable definition of natural and their wool doesn’t use any chemicals but I’ve also edited the percentage in my previous reply to avoid any confusion.

They have experimented with 100% natural wool from different suppliers that doesn’t contain any polyester or “hot melt” but they found that when they used it to make their quilted cover the final result just wasn’t as consistent and given a choice between a less consistent material and possible customer complaints about “lumpiness” and consistency and performance they chose consistency and performance (and I think that the large majority of their customers would prefer that they made the choice they did). Their mattresses also aren’t being sold as “organic” mattresses (although they do use some organic components) and there would be little point in sacrificing the performance of a material or component for the sake of an arbitrary definition of “natural” that would have no practical benefit or value.

If you talk with them on the phone (which I would certainly encourage so that you don’t need to go by second hand information) you will also find that they will tell you anything that they know about all their materials and components and they also encourage their local customers to tour their factory so that they can see for themselves how their mattresses are made and all the materials and components that they use inside them. It would be difficult for any manufacturer to be more open and transparent than that.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix. I guess it’s just really disheartening because I feel this should be disclosed on their website. Someone that has really endorsed them recently found out about this as well and feels blindsided. I may still order from them. Kathy was prompt and professional in her emails to me so I do appreciate that.

Hi fsumom,

I don’t know any legitimate reason why someone would feel “blind sided” by purchasing a mattress from My Green Mattress.

Similar to my previous comments about “green” mattresses … natural also doesn’t have any specific definition (except that any claims about being natural are “reasonable”) and there are a wide range of materials that are called “natural” that also include a relatively small amount of synthetic materials or components. Even some organic mattresses (and they don’t even sell mattresses that they claim are organic) can include a relatively small amount of synthetic chemicals or materials. There is a great deal of confusion about this part of the industry and in some cases some exaggerated concerns that some people have come to believe based on incorrect beliefs or opinions that can end up spreading like a “virus” even though there is no legitimate reason for the concern.

No manufacturer would include every small detail about every layer and component in their mattresses on a website and they would quickly go out of business if they did because they would spend all their time explaining information that is mostly meaningless and would end up confusing most of their customers who really wouldn’t have enough knowledge or experience to understand or “translate” the information that they were receiving and would often attach more importance to it than it really has.

For those customers that for personal reasons have very narrow or specific criteria that would be unimportant to most people who would purchase a specific mattress then it would make much more sense to ask these types of more specific questions on a more detailed phone conversation (or in person if you are in their store) than to expect any manufacturer to include every small detail on a website and IMO a more detailed phone conversation is an important part of any online mattress purchase anyway. Websites are designed to provide more general information that would be of interest or would be significant to the majority of their customers and providing “too much” information can overwhelm customers who could end up not even considering them at all.

It’s also somewhat ironic that in some cases manufacturers that try to be as transparent and honest as possible can often become a bigger target for criticism than manufacturers that don’t provide any meaningful information about their mattresses at all. As you know I am a huge advocate for transparency but there is a limit to the amount of information that a manufacturer either can or should include on their website or that a consumer will fully understand or put into a meaningful context before it will do more harm than good.

You are a good example where they provided you with all the information you need to make an informed choice and were completely open and transparent about all the materials and components in their mattresses and yet you still aren’t happy with their website.

Phoenix

I actually found out about the polyester on this post and Kathy did confirm it. My issue is more that they are My “Green” mattress and polyester doesn’t seem very green to me. They were open and honest with me because I asked them about it after seeing it here. I would have never known had I not seen the post here. I don’t feel that’s very transparent to learn this from someplace other than the mattress company. With that being said, I don’t work in the mattress industry and have no knowledge of the manufacturing processes that are necessary to achieve a truly non-toxic mattress. I do know that Sleep EZ informed me that they do not blend any polyester fibers in with their wool. I guess my question is, if they can manage without polyester, why can’t My Green Mattress? I will call Kathy on Monday and get further clarification. However, I will say that I don’t feel like I’m being unreasonable although you’re making it seem that way. I am just trying to find the best, non-toxic mattress within my budget for my children. That’s my ultimate goal. I do appreciate the time you have taken to address my concerns and you have made me feel better that they are truly a reputable company.

Hi fsumom,

This is an example of the context I was mentioning in my last reply. They are much more “green” than the vast majority of mattresses that are on the market that only “call themselves” green (and there are many examples of this) and yet because of their transparency they have become the the subject of this type of “critical leaning” conversation.

Most of the information on this forum and in this topic about their mattresses originates from them and is available to anyone that talks with them and if that’s not “transparent” I really don’t know what is.

There could be many reasons for this (including their machinery or how their covers are made). They have even sourced wool from the same supplier that SleepEZ uses (and decided against it … although this also doesn’t mean that SleepEZ’s covers would be somehow uneven or “lumpy”) but they would be the best source of information about these types of questions. Of course that could take this conversation even deeper into the rabbit hole of more and more questions that spring from every answer or new “piece” of information. The bottom line for most of their customers would be that they are a great quality/value mattress that uses “natural” and “safe” materials (by any meaningful definition of both of these terms) that are well described on their website and that would be well worth considering as an option for those that prefer natural materials (even for their children) … but not for those that for personal reasons (rather than safety or performance reasons) are looking for a mattress that doesn’t contain any synthetic materials or any kind or a certified organic mattress (although some organic mattress do contain some synthetic materials as well). I would also keep in mind that an organic certification or how “green” a mattress may be has very little to do with the “safety” or performance of the materials.

I certainly don’t believe that anyone’s criteria for a mattress are unreasonable … they just are what they are regardless of whether they are based on any specific needs or are just based just on personal preferences. In some cases they may be based on incorrect assumptions or beliefs (which is part of why this website exists) but expecting to find every answer you may want on a manufacturers website isn’t generally a reasonable expectation in the industry. I don’t know of a single manufacturer in the industry that has a website that includes all the information that I could ask about on their website or that I couldn’t find some “fault” with if I wished to.

There is a great deal of information in post #2 here and the topics it links to about mattresses and children and “suitable” and “safe” materials including a link to some general guidelines for children in post #2 here. It also includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattress and children as well which have more information about many good options which would be well worth considering (including My Green Mattress).

Phoenix

I just wanted to update that I chose the full-sized Natural Escape from My Green Mattress for my 9 year old daughter. I am probably going to go with the twin Select Sleep 7" with organic cotton cover and organic wool for my almost 2 year old son. I just need to research appropriate configurations for him. Thanks again, Phoenix, for your help.

Hi fsumom,

Congratulations on your new mattress for your 9 year old :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

I’m also looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding for your 2 year old as well.

Phoenix