Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

Hi Dr.Ake,

Welcome back!

The evolution of the BME spec has been a topic of discussion in a separate thread for a few weeks and your questions are addressed over there in a bit more detail, including some comments from Mario at Brooklyn Bedding. You can read through the whole thread if you desire, and I start addressing the questions in this post.

Phoenix

Well, I bought this mattress back in March and I came back to this thread for a couple of reasons. First, I wanted to thank you, Phoenix, for all the hard work and information on this site. It was immensely helpful as I chose a new mattress for myself and I appreciate having this great resource. I also wanted to thank all those who contributed to this thread. While I know reading reviews on a mattress is sort of like reading a review of how people like a certain food (everyone is different), I did find a lot of helpful information here. I have been sleeping so well! After many years of severe back pain any time I attempted to sleep on my back or stomach, I am able to sleep on both for short periods of time with no discomfort. I am mainly a side sleeper and this has felt so wonderful for me. I am very sad that they changed the bed to a newer configuration, as I feel this one is absolutely perfect for myself and my fiancé, and we were considering buying another for my guest bedroom.

At any rate, thank you so much for all your help and information.

Hi dknees,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!, and congratulations on your BME mattress! :cheer: I’m happy that you’re sleeping better, and I hope that you’ll be able to post back again after you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a longer time.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I have progress to report! When inquiring about returns/exchanges, I asked Lillian at Brooklyn Bedding whether the new BME composition would be any softer and more to our liking. (No!) She said the new BME should have the same characteristics and feel as the old one, then suggested the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex as their softest option. Was going to do this but started thinking about the problem. (If going this route, I realized later that one could save $250 with the Ultimate Dreams Latex instead- same composition but without the zippered cover and ability to swap layers.)

Thinking primarily of my wife’s issues with the BME- too firm, lack of pressure relief and motion transfer- I realized that latex might not be the best material for us. I had been leaning towards the Helix, but now wanting something even more “dead” I did a 180 and bought the Alexander Signature in soft. I’m happy to say there is hardly any motion transfer, and edge support is much better than the BME. We’ve only slept on it three nights, so we can’t say that it’s right for us yet but we both like it so far. A month or two in and I’ll report back.

While I hate to see it go, the BME is being donated Tuesday to an excellent charitable organization.

Thanks!

Hi Dr.Ake,

Thanks for your update. I’m sorry to hear that the BME didn’t work out for you, but you did have the foresight to know that it had a good trial period, and now it is being upcycled to someone less fortunate.

While as you mentioned you’ve only had your new mattress for a few days, it may have been exactly what you said that you prefer a less resilient material that is still point elastic on top, and the Alexander Signature Soft, using a total of 4" of memory foam in the upper layers, might be a good solution.

I’m looking forward to your future updates and I hope that this comfort works out well for your both.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Unfortunately, six weeks into this new mattress, and we’ve decided that the Alexander Signature isn’t going to be a keeper. We both liked it at first (we’d like to end the search!) but have found it to sleep way too hot, plus my wife isn’t loving the support and is not waking refreshed. I find there’s too much sinkage (we did get a soft) but that’s what you get with memory foam. A failed experiment. And 13" is too thick!

Might be going back to try the Helix now. Unless… you can comment on the Luxi? Isn’t it an interesting design? Do you think those collapsing columns are going to come apart within a few years in the soft configuration? I’m wondering why I haven’t seen more about this mattress online. I searched here on the forum and didn’t find any information other than a disgruntled customer. I just discovered it a couple of days ago- can’t remember where- and am very intrigued.

thanks-
drake

I miss my BME! But my wife doesn’t. We could end up with two different twin XLs.

Hi Dr. Ake,

I’m sorry to hear that your Nest Alexander Signature Soft isn’t meeting with your needs. :frowning: At least it does have a good return policy and your were wise enough to choose something that yo could try and return if it didn’t turn out as well as you had hoped. You are correct that it is a quite plush product, with the 1.5’ quilt polyfoam and then the total of 4" of memory foam, and this much plush material certainly will allow for you to sleep a bit more “in” the mattress. I’m not sure of the focus of your comment regarding the 13" being too thick – perhaps you meant for your specific application?

You can read a bit about the construction of the Luxi here. The complete specifications are listed in the Simplified Choice Thread here.

Engineered polyfoam designs similar to this are more common in Europe and I would not have the concern of the columns falling apart after only a few years.

I can’t comment as I am unaware of the methods that Luxi uses to promote themselves, but an internet search pulls up quite a bit of information about them, mostly “reviews” from referral sites, which is common with many online mattress companies. I wouldn’t use the fact of whether or not it is mentioned frequently online as one of my main points for considering the product.

A forum search on Luxi (just click on the link) will bring up quite a bit more information about them on the site as well. They do use better quality materials and they have a unique design from someone very knowledgeable in the foam industry, so they are certainly are worth considering. I did question the validity of the one post you are referencing here on the site, and I let it stand more as an example of someone with a personal vendetta unsuccessfully attempting to create negative feedback about a product, which actually ends up having the opposite effect and reflects more negatively on the poster.

That is a solution that is more common than many people realize! :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Quick update- Luxi has been slept on four nights and is great! I’m trying the medium side and wife is on soft. Sleeping much cooler than on the Alexander Signature. Only problem noticed immediately is that there is much more motion transfer than we expected, having read many reviews and comments about the mattress having almost none at all, because of the split-down-the-middle design.

Alexander Signature is being picked up/donated next week.

To get my comments somewhat back to the thread topic of the BME, the Luxi feels similar to the BME in both soft and medium configurations. The latex feel is back and I’m happy!

I’ll only post in the Luxi thread from here on.

Hi Dr.Ake,

I’m glad that you’re enjoying your new Luxi mattress! Regarding motion transfer, the layers are still in the same encasement and touching each other, so there will be some transfer of motion waves. But also, you’d want to look at your foundation and frame set up, as those are connected and can result in quite a bit of the motion transfer that you feel. What is your current set up for that?

I’m glad you were able to have that arranged for your return.

It can be surprising how different mixes of componentry can result in “similar” types of comfort, isn’t it?

I’ve never been too strict of a stickler for that, so if you’d like to keep posting here in this thread for ease of reference, you’re welcome to do so.

Phoenix

[quote=“Dr.Ake” post=72950]the Luxi feels similar to the BME in both soft and medium configurations. The latex feel is back and I’m happy!
[/quote]
As I understand it the current Luxi is not Latex, but it used to be… and same for BME! Which Luxi do you have (older latex or newer non), and which BME do you think it feels similar to (older latex or newer non)?

Hi Scott- We have a brand new Luxi, which according to their website still has a latex layer within- 20% natural and 80% synthetic. I will say that it does not look like traditional latex. Our BME was the original latex model. I’d recommend either mattress highly. Next up on my list to try was the OSO and then Helix, but I’m hoping to keep this one!

[quote=“Dr.Ake” post=72976]Hi Scott- We have a brand new Luxi, which according to their website still has a latex layer within- 20% natural and 80% synthetic.
[/quote]
Ah. I was confused having read the post at https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/currently-using-a-luxi-mattress-but-thinking-about-returning-it-for-a-bme
where it said:

But indeed the site still talks about a latex layer. So either the site hasn’t been updated, or maybe this wasn’t a move from latex-to-no-latex, but rather latex-to-some-other-implementation-of-latex…?

Could be that they switched to a polyfoam alternative like BME did? I’m sleeping on the medium firm latex (or whatever) layer while the wife is directly on the SBT layer. They both feel much more responsive than memory foam and I’ll switch to the soft to try at some point.

I forgot to mention that the pillows are amazing! Thin, and just the right size. My neck is loving them.

It is no longer latex from what they told me after I received a mattress without latex. The site has not been updated. I let them know the site still lists latex as a layer and shows the latex as natural latex colored, which the new layer is not. It’s kind of a light blue/green. It was May when I let them know this, they still haven’t changed the site.

Yep- I didn’t think it looked like latex. Indeed it is a blue/green color. But whatever it is, I like it! I’d probably like the new BME too, but the Luxi has better pressure relief.

Most importantly, my wife is enjoying this mattress, despite having more motion transfer than expected.

[quote=“Dr.Ake” post=72985]Yep- I didn’t think it looked like latex. Indeed it is a blue/green color. But whatever it is, I like it! I’d probably like the new BME too, but the Luxi has better pressure relief.

Most importantly, my wife is enjoying this mattress, despite having more motion transfer than expected.
[/quote]

I’m glad you both found something you enjoy that gives you pressure relief. The mattress I got feels like a brick on the medium side and like medium/firm on the soft side. It does not provide relief for myself or my partner unfortunately.

I’d be curious to see your response to the BME as well but thankfully it seems you won’t have to buy another mattress as you found the one!

Hi Dr.Ake,

Yes, as I posted in the other thread, Luxi has changed their design as of May of 2017. But as a few of the site members have noticed, the Luxi web site has not yet reflected that change. There is a difference in the latex (now a high performance polyfoam), the transition layer (I am not sure if this is till memory foam) and the quilt. I’m awaiting confirmation of the newer specifications and I will post them back on the site as soon as I hear back from Luxi.

Phoenix

Ive had a BB Soft since March 5th. I will write a seperate review. That being said, I really like the mattress. 6’ 145lbs side sleeper. Used to have some lower back problems and neck also. I use a snugglepedic shredded memory foam pillow also so its a little more flat. Partner also loves it. Shes 5’4 130lbs. Side sleeper. Has had hip surgery. I was going to wait until 6 months to post an update and more in depth review but can do one a little sooner.

Too bad they’re so slow in updating the site. Don’t think it would’ve changed my decision had I known. Seems that the change in materials has altered the motion transfer qualities of the Luxi for the worse. Here’s one of the reviews that influenced us, stating that there’s ZERO motion transfer. One of the photos clearly shows the latex layer:

In my opinion it’s unfortunate because people will still be expecting a true latex layer. That is why I purchased the mattress myself and I ended up disappointed. There is quite a bit of motion transfer on our bed. You can see in the review you linked as well that the bed seems to slope down on the left side. Some other reviews show this as well in photos and video. I wish I had noticed the sloping before buying but you live and learn.

Knowing about the latex change definitely would have changed my decision. Also on their site you can see the sbt layer seems to fit well inside the cover with room. Mine is like shoving large marshmallows into a minuscule unstretcheable bag. Even with this there is a noticeable dip in the middle of our bed despite us both sleeping on our respective sides. When you lay in the middle on the joint where the two sides meet you can feel the void dip down lower. The column sbt things in my setup just do not have enough structure in the middle of the bed so they dip away from each other creating a void.

Having only had one other mattress that had dual layers (one on each side) and that not experiencing having a dip in the middle I’m not sure if this is a common problem for queen and king sizes that are split.