Brooklyn Bedding Cool Luxe vs Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams

The BB Cool Luxe in king size is $1449.The Dream foam Ult. Dream is $899.I was told by the salesman the only difference in the two is in the base foam layer.2 lb. vs 1.5 lb.Is there $550 worth of difference in the price for this extra half pound of foam in the base?Or are there other differences in quality and durability that I am unaware of?Thanks.

Hi jleech,

Assuming that they would both be a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … both of the mattresses you are looking at would make a great quality/value choice but there are a few differences between them that could be more important for some people than for others.

The layers of the Dreamfoam 13" gel memory foam are …

3" of 4 lb gel memory foam
2" of 5 lb memory foam
8" 1.5 lb polyfoam base layer

The layers of the Brooklyn Bedding Cool Luxe are …

3" of 4 lb gel memory foam
2.5" of 5 lb memory foam
7.5" of 2.17 lb polyfoam base layer.

The Cool Luxe also has a 4 way stretch cotton cover but I don’t know the specifics of the knit cover in the Dreamfoam or how it compares.

The memory foams in each mattress are the same density so they would be closely comparable in terms of durability but I also don’t know if they are the same type of memory foam with the same properties because memory foams that are the same density can still feel and perform very differently from each other (see post #9 here and post #8 here). They would be able to tell you more than I could about any differences in the properties of the memory foams they use. Outside of any differences in the type of memory foam they both use … the differences would be in the additional 1/2" of 5 lb memory foam in the Cool Luxe, the density of the polyfoam layer in the base, and any differences in the cover.

The higher density 2.17 base layer in the Brooklyn Bedding Cool Luxe would be a more durable material than the 1.5 lb polyfoam in the Dreamfoam 13" gel memory foam mattress but the weakest link in a mattress in terms of durability is normally in the upper layers which are more subject to the compression forces of sleeping which is what softens or breaks down foam materials so the difference in the base foam density would make a bigger difference in the useful life of the two mattresses for those that are in higher weight ranges (more than the lower 200’s or so) that compress the support core more deeply than it would for those that are in lighter weight ranges.

They also have different return/exchange policies which may be important to some people. The return policy of the Dreamfoam would depend on how you purchase it. If you purchase on Amazon and it’s fulfilled by Amazon then the cost is slightly higher and it would have Amazon’s large item return policy (see here). If you purchase it on Amazon but it’s fulfilled by Dreamfoam then the price would be slightly lower but there isn’t a return policy once you remove the packaging (or at least you would pay for return shipping with common carrier which can be quite costly for a heavy mattress). If you purchase directly from the Dreamfoam site then you would have the benefit of their 45 day comfort guarantee (see the bottom right corner of their site) and there is also a 10% discount available for any of the Dreamfoam mattresses that are purchased from their site (see their facebook page here).

Brooklyn Bedding has a longer return policy (60 days) and an even longer 120 day exchange policy that is free outside of any difference in cost involved in the exchange (see the details here).

There is also more about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses and help you decide whether the difference in cost would be “worth it” to you based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you .

Phoenix

Thank you for the info…

U should choose the Dreamfoam. With me it more benefits than