Brooklyn Bedding Cool Luxe

Excellent, Thank you!

Pulled the trigger and ordered the BB Cool Luxe. I also confirmed the warranty question - Jacob told me that he needed to update the warranty for smooth top mattresses - its 3/4 inch indentation not 1.5 inches.

Mario with BB helped answer my questions and assured that the Cool Luxe would provide adequate support even at my 210 lbs.
Chuck confirmed this as well, and Jacob helped with a number of product questions over chat. Overall I would say it was a positive experience learning about their various models, and making an informed decision. I highly recommend speaking with any of these gentlemen for any of your BB questions. They also helped me iron out my memory foam vs latex questions as well, and are very knowledgeable.

Now waiting for the mattresses to arrive.

I ordered the Malouf wire frame on Amazon as well as their mattress protector.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZQCJUS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’ll share my experience with the mattress once it arrives.

I thank Phoenix for his unbelievable amount of dedication to this forum as well as the very smart questions that other forum members pose here, both of which help consumers like me make a better decision. A big thank you!

Hi hshanka,

Thanks for confirming the warranty on their smoth top mattresses. I suspected that would be the case but I hadn’t asked them about this.

Congratulations on your new mattress … you certainly made a great quality and value choice :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it … and thanks for sharing your experiences with the forum.

Phoenix

Just ordered this last night. I will make a new post with a review when we get it. I’m hoping its worth the additional cost over the Dreamfoam one :).

I’m not going to weigh in on the value of one brand versus the other on this one, but it should be noted, that the data is looking as though cool memory foam doesn’t really sleep cooler than regular memory foam. So regardless of which one you choose, you may benefit from some really breathable bedding, or specialty mattress pad that will reduce the sweatiness of both those mattresses.

Hi BGarfield,

I agree with you about the value of ventilation in a mattress and of course bedding material (see post #2 here and post #29 here about temperature regulation) and this is the “primary” cooling technology which is the most long lasting over the course of the night IMO … but having said that there are some benefits of either thermally conductive gel or phase change gels that can provide some cooling benefits in a different ways. There is a bit more about the three main cooling technologies and their pros and cons and limitations at the end of post #4 here.

Accurate technical data about gel materials is difficult to find and in the current overall environment there is more marketing material available (which can be very misleading) and more “gel hype” than there is technical or specific information but there are some benefits of using gel in foam materials that can improve some of the inherent weaknesses of some foam or memory foam formulations. besides any cooling benefits … this includes gel’s ability to improve the creep properties of memory foam and increase the compression modulus both of which together can improve the tendency of memory foam to continue sinking in over the course of the night.

This particular mattress is using some of the most advanced gel memory foams available on the market.

I am working on an article that will cover gel materials more completely and have talked with many people who are knowledgeable about foam chemistry and the properties of the different types and generations of gel materials that are reaching the market but post #8 here has some preliminary information and links to other posts that can provide a fairly good overview on gel materials or gel memory foam.

Phoenix

We received this mattress today. Hauled it upstairs and opened it on the Malouf frame. Its been 2 hours and the mattress has expanded to 12 inches. Hoping it will be fully expanded when we sleep on it tonight so we can get an accurate feel of the mattress.

Brooklyn Bedding sent me queen pillows with the mattress by mistake. I let them know and they immediately let me know that 2 Kings will be going out today. Very happy with my experience interacting with Mario and Jacob.

Will update more once the mattress is fully expanded on the feel, and a more complete review.

Hi hshanka,

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback because this is one of their newer mattresses and the feedback so far of course is somewhat limited.

Phoenix

ncmom - how do you like your mattress? Would you say the UD is truly in between the Cloud Luve and Supreme. Also, how is it in terms of coolness/sleeping hot. Finally, did you transport it from door to bedroom? (We have two flighs of steps to get the the BR!

Thank y - Lab3ou!

hshanka - A few questions: How do you like the Cool Luxe? Was the bed easy to haul upstairs? Also did it turn out to be a full 13 inches in height? Does it feel like the Cloud Luxe or a bit firmer/softer?

I almost bought one last night . . . .

Thank you! - LAB3

I just hauled mine upstairs with my hubby, that thing was HEAVY (160lb or so). It was a process, but the two of us managed to get it up. Its almost impossible with one person, unless ultra strong, 2-3 people can do it though. I’m seriously wondering how much it cost them to ship a 160lb 76inch wide mattress(King).

Ours is still sealed, but the quality looks good from what we can tell. (heh, interestingly enough, the pillows ship in a seperate box, and fedex loaded them on different trucks, so we don’t have the pillows yet)

Our pillows arrived, but I’m a bit confused by them.

They are king size pillows, but seem to only have enough foam for standard pillows? if the material is pushed down and left to sit, there is a good 8 inches or so between the end of the material and end of pillow. I am going to contact them tomorrow to ask about it.

I have only slept on mine about 4 times, but I don’t find it to be any hotter than an innerspring so far.

I might look into getting this mattress as well. What did they end up doing with your pillows?

They gave me no issues at all, and are mailing out new ones.

Also, take a look if you want at my review thread. The biggest issue I have with the mattress is that hideous camo bottom :slight_smile:

Hey Hshanka, can’t wait to hear your review and was curious how the Malouf frame and mattress protector were.

Thanks!

Hi kiwi,

Thanks for prompting me on this. I meant to do this earlier, but somehow got delayed until now. Please find my review below.

We received the mattress on May 8th so have been able to use it for a few days now. Overall the mattress is very plush to sleep in. My neck pain went away after 2 days of sleeping in this mattress. From a comfort and pressure relief point of view, the mattress is excellent.

Like another poster, we received incorrect pillows with the mattress (queen latex instead of king). BB sent a replacement which is a Queen memory foam instead of king latex. I have contacted them and they are checking into what happened. Mario said they will take care of it, it shouldn’t be a problem. Waiting for confirmation on replacement king pillows.

The biggest difference between this mattress and the Tempur Cloud Luxe is the edge of the mattress. We found the edge has a significant amount of give, which is not the case with Tempur Cloud Luxe. Please see attached pictures. Mario is checking with their manufacturing department for more info on this. The give is so much that if i get to the edge by mistake, i could roll off. My foundation is the Structures by Malouf wire frame one that is recommended here, and similar to the one that BB recommends (Genius frame).

Being a gel foam, it is also a faster response than traditional mem foram mattress. I think this is a good thing since i have less motion restriction than i would on the Tempur Cloud Luxe.

Other than the edge give characteristic, we really like sleeping on the mattress. It sleeps cool and is very plush yet supportive. Feels slightly more plush that cloud luxe - i think this is because of the fast response characteristic of the gel - it compresses more quickly than traditional mem foam, getting you to the plush state faster.

Let me know if you’d like to know anything specific and I can update this review.

The Malouf frame is excellent. No creaks, rust etc. I also don’t feel the center of the fame if i sleep in the middle of the mattress.

The Malouf mattress protector is very good as well. It has a thin waterproof layer underneath the top has the texture of a towel (but much thinner). I coudn’t notice any significant change in the feel of the mattress with vs without the cover.

Phoenix, any thoughts on the mattress edge give?

paladin732 and georget, do you see this behavior in your mattress as well?

I have said this before, and I’ll say again - these guys are very very professional. Mario just called me back and told me he is personally taking care of the pillow confusion and will ensure king pillows are shipped out.

The mattress give -

Mario confirmed this is expected behavior for this mattress. He said if you sleep 2 inches inside the edge you shouldn’t see this. This is indeed the case - if you sleep slightly inside, there is no issue. The reason i get close to the edge is because our 3 year old sometimes comes into our bed at night, necessitating the use of all available space on the mattress.

Ultimately, this is an excellent mattress. It is not the Tempur Cloud Luxe. Only the Tempur Cloud Luxe can be identical to itself. This mattress is made differently, with different materials, and comes very close to providing the plush feel of the cloud luxe experience at ~50% lower price. Its a high quality mattress.

If I walked into their physical store, and tried this mattress on its own merits without any comparison to Tempur, I would be impressed with it.

We are going to continue evaluating the mattress for the edge give scenario - if we are able to get used to sleeping a little inside when our toddler is in between us, then we should be OK.