Brooklyn Bedding Cool Luxe

My first post, looking for some feedback. Wife and I love the Cloud Luxe, so we searched comparables online (which I never thought I would buy a bed online) and came across dreamfoam. I’m over 250 pounds, so wanted to make sure I could find something to support me. I think in terms of the PPP, I believe the BB Cool Luxe is the one for us. I have seen a few mentions of it on this site, but was hoping to see if anyone had any real world experience with it? Seems like this mattress has not been around too long, so haven’t really found any reviews on it other than their website. Chuck from dreamfoam had me sold on a latex, but we finally got to try one out and the wife did not like it anywhere near the Cloud Luxe, nor did I. I will say he was helpful, a little slow to respond during the day, but never went a day without responding. Mario at BB has been good, always available, so i’m hoping if there is a warranty issue my experience is the same…So, anyone have any experience with this mattress? Anyone actually ever process a warranty claim succesful? Anyone ever own this one and the dreamfoam? Only thing I know is different is the base density, but really have not seen any hard info on what else is different? Thanks for the help, this is a great site, just wanted some additional help since it is a $1,300 mattress (king) with the 10% off…Thanks!

Hi dankchicago,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! … and I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

I would be very cautious about using anyone else’s experience or mattress reviews on a mattress as a reliable indication of what you may feel on the same mattress because a mattress that feels too firm to one person can feel too soft to someone else (and vice versa) and a mattress that is a good match for one person or even a group of people in terms of PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on … even if they have a similar body type or sleeping style (see post #13 here). In the end the only reliable way to know with any certainty whether a mattress is a good match for you would be based on your own personal testing or actual sleeping experience.

Having said that … a forum search on Cool Luxe (you can just click the link) will bring up all the forum posts that mention it.

I would be aware that there are hundreds of different latex mattresses that come in a wide range of firmness levels and “feels” and use different types and blends of latex or have very different designs that can be very different from each other. Some “latex” mattresses also only use a small amount of latex so only testing one latex mattress (or one mattress of any category) won’t give you a good idea of latex mattresses in general.

I haven’t heard of any warranty issues with their memory foam mattresses (although they have only been available for less than 2 years) but both Dreamfoam and Brooklyn Bedding are members of this site which means that I think very highly of them in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency and I know them well enough to know that you certainly wouldn’t have any issues with any legitimate warranty claim for a mattress that had defective materials. Having said that … I would also be aware that mattress warranties only cover defective materials in a mattress and not the gradual loss of comfort and support that is the biggest reason that people will need to buy a new mattress (see post #174 here about warranties).

I would also be somewhat cautious at your weight with choosing such a soft mattress in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or with thicker layers of 4 lb memory foam (see the guidelines here) and latex would be a more durable choice than medium density memory foam.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix.

1. I’m looking for anyones experience on this mattress because aside from the sellers site there are limited reviews.
  2. I know latex mattresses are all different, but we do not like the immediate bounceback latex has. For me being heavy, it puts too much pressure on areas rather than the floating pressure memory foam feels to me.
  3. We have a Beautyrest elite plush now, and it’s actually too hard. It was good for about a year, but has become hard and not comofortable. I realize most mattresses soften up, this one seemed to get worse.
  4. The Temper cloud luxe is the one we keep coming back to when trying beds locally. As such, we are trying to duplicate that experience for a lesser price. Are you saying that given my weight, the thick layer of 4 lb density may not be good enough? I was choosing this bed based on the supposed similar feel to the cloud luxe, but yet having a solid base layer density to offer supports as the bed softens (hence why I gave up on dreamfoam). Thanks for all your help, are you aware of any other manufacturers that try to duplicate the tempur cloud luxe experience that may have better layers of foam for my size?

Hi dankchicago,

As I mentioned in my last reply … reading mattress reviews or other people’s experiences on a mattress will tell you very little about whether a mattress will be a suitable choice for you or will be a durable choice for your body type. Mattress research and reading mattress reviews are very different things.

I completely understand and the choice of material is always a preference choice and not a “better/worse” choice. There is more about how the two materials compare in post #2 here. In a suitable design a latex mattress can be just as pressure relieving as a suitable memory foam mattress so this is a matter of whether a specific mattress design is suitable for you regardless of the material (some memory foam mattresses would also cause pressure points for you) but latex will always have a more resilient and “on the mattress” feel than memory foam that some people like and some don’t.

Most of the major brands (including Simmons) tend to use much lower quality materials in their comfort layers which are subject to much more rapid softening and foam breakdown and when this happens and the top layers become softer they may no longer isolate you as well from the firmer layers underneath them which can result in the mattress feeling firmer … especially if you are heavy enough to “go through” the softer upper layers.

There are two issues involved here and I would be cautious about both in your weight range.

The first issue is that higher weights tend to do better with firmer mattresses than lighter weight ranges and buying a mattress that has comfort layers that are too thick and/or soft or a support core that is too soft has a much greater risk of sleeping out of alignment and causing back pain or discomfort. While this isn’t a certainty because it depends on your weight distribution and physiology as well … the risk would certainly be higher and I would make sure you have done some very careful testing (using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) on the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe so you are confident that it (or any other similar mattress) not only relieves pressure in all your sleeping positions (which is likely since it’s their softest mattress) but even more importantly keeps you in good alignment over the course of the night. I would keep in mind that you can always soften up a mattress that is too firm and needs some additional pressure relief but there is very little you can do to firm up a mattress that is too soft without removing and replacing the rs that are too thick and/or soft.

The second issue is with durability. Lower density foams will soften and break down faster than higher density foams and this could be an issue over time with heavier weight ranges as well. This more rapid foam softening can lead to the premature loss of comfort and support that is the reason you purchased the mattress in the first place and if a mattress is already “on the edge” of the comfort/support range that would be suitable for you then even a relatively small amount of foam softening can take you outside of comfort/support range that is suitable for you fairly quickly (see post #2 here). Memory foam won’t tend to develop impressions that will be covered by a warranty and foam softening and the gradual (or more rapid) loss of comfort or support isn’t covered by a warranty so you would have little recourse if this happens other than buying a new mattress. In general I would tend to reduce and minimize the use of 4 lb memory foam in your weight range. There is more about the variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

These cautions would also apply to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe as well which uses an even thicker 3.5" layer of 4 lb memory foam than the Brooklyn Bedding Cool Luxe which would make it even more subject to these potential suitability and durability issues.

Again these types of issues would apply to the Cloud Luxe itself along with any other mattresses that used a similar design so rather than finding another mattress that is a close match to the Cloud Luxe it may be worthwhile considering another alternative in the Tempurpedic lineup to use as a reference point that uses less 4 lb memory foam or uses higher density memory foams. The tutorial post includes a link to a list of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) and several of these (including Brooklyn Bedding) sell mattresses that are designed to be good approximations of the Tempurpedic line. The potential issues here wouldn’t be as much an alternative to Brooklyn Bedding but to any mattress that is similar to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe.

Phoenix