Brooklyn Bedding Cool Symphony review

We recently purchased the Cool Symphony from Brooklyn Bedding based on their assertion that it is comparable to the TempurPedic Rhapsody, and I thought I’d share our experiences for the benefit of others.

First of all, I should say that the mattress seems good quality and well-constructed. The off-gassing was minimal, the cover is thick and nice-looking. However. If, like us, you are looking for something that feels like the Rhapsody, be advised that this mattress is not it. Both mattresses are described as medium firm by their respective manufacturers; however, the Symphony feels VERY soft in comparison. Construction and materials used are quite different in the Symphony (the two top layers consist of 4lb foam, vs. 7lb and 5lb foam in the Rhapsody).

Also, this mattress does not have edge support, so when sitting on the edge of the mattress, one sinks in a LOT, and one does feel a slight give when sleeping close to the edge.

That said, if you like a softer feel in your mattress and lots of give, the Cool Symphony is a very good value for the price. Just don’t be misled by the comparison to the Rhapsody.

We’re in the process of returning our mattress. So far, the company seems to honor its return policy (for this particular model, 100% money back and no restocking or return shipping charges, with mattress picked up at the door–a great policy). I’ll report back on the return process once it’s complete.

Meanwhile, we’re once again on a quest to find a quality mattress that’s close to the feel of the Rhapsody without costing a fortune–if anyone has suggestions, they’d be most welcome!

Hi questforsleep,

I’m sorry to hear your purchase didn’t work the way you wanted but I certainly appreciate your feedback.

Comfort and softness are of course subjective and each person may have a different idea of how well one mattress matches another … especially with memory foam which can respond in different ways in different conditions … but the value of a good return policy is that you can test a mattress based on your own experience and perceptions.

Several of the manufacturers listed in post #12 here make a memory foam mattress that uses the Rhapsody as a reference point and matches them in one or more ways (see post #9 here about mattress matching) including some that use a similar design and/or foam densities.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I had found post #12 but not #9, and I have to agree with your advice there that when trying to match mattresses, similar construction is one important point to consider–something we neglected to do. Luckily, Brooklyn Bedding offers a good return policy.

We’re now looking into the Selectfoam Regalis and the Christeli Wellesly. I will post again with the outcome of our continued search.

Hi questforsleep,

Both of these use higher density memory foam in “similar” designs to the Rhapsody and both have great return policies as well (if you purchase the signature return policy in the case of Christeli) although the trial period is longer with Select Foam.

I’m looking forward to hearing about your next choice.

Phoenix

As promised, here is an update on the outcome of our search for a mattress similar to the Rhapsody.

In the end, we went with the Selectfoam Regalis and have been sleeping on it for about six months. It has a completely different feel from the Cool Symphony (which we found squishy) in that it is quite firm, with just enough give to mold softly to the body. It is firm enough to sit on the edge and not sag, despite the fact that this mattress does not come with an extra edge support feature–it’s all in the density of the foam.

I would say it is still somewhat softer than the Rhapsody–in fact the sales person I spoke with said it compared better to the Rhapsody Breeze, which I’m not familiar with–but it is decidedly firm, gives good support, allows you to sit up in bed or on the edge, and shapes to the body for a wonderful sleep without sagging.

One small observation: Our King size is about an inch and a half shorter than the platform of our bed and other King size mattresses we’ve had (including the Cool Symphony), but unless you’re tall enough for that to make a difference, it’s a good alternative to the Rhapsody.

And btw, we got a 5% discount thanks to TMU. :slight_smile: Also, just as an FYI, when we received the mattress, there was white powder between the two plastic bags it was in. I contacted the sales person and he explained it’s baby powder, which they put in so that the second bag slides more easily over the first.

As promised, here is also a report on the return of our Cool Symphony mattress to Brooklyn Bedding. The BB sales rep was quite helpful in advising me on how to package the mattress for the return and setting up the pickup. The wrinkle in the process was with the local subcontractor their freight contractor uses.

BB had told us to put the mattress in a mattress sleeve for the pickup. When the truck came to pick up the mattress, two things happened: first, the single guy on the truck, who didn’t even have a dolly or hand truck, asked us to help him load the mattress. We found that a little unprofessional, but did. Then, however, he came back to the door and said he couldn’t take the mattress after all–because it was “only” sleeved. And we had to help him unload the mattress!

BB then told us to triple-sleeve the mattress, and set up another pickup. There were more scheduling hiccups with the local trucking company, but eventually they did come back and picked up the mattress. For real this time. Though once again, it was one guy with no equipment and we had to help him heave the mattress on the truck.

After the pickup, it took a few weeks before we received our refund–in full, as advertised. So bottom line, the return policy is great, and BB honored it all the way. Though in my opinion they should be a little more selective with the local trucking companies their contractor works with.

Hello questforsleep,

Thank you for sharing your purchasing and return experience it is great information for customers to know the process and how that we fulfill our policies and would also like to update that we have since changed carriers for pick up and this is now always handled with a 2 man crew for pick up. We still ask that our customers wrap the mattress in plastic to protect the mattress before pickup.

Pick up are are never refused by this new company either, the issue with the last company is they did not want to be responsible if the mattress was damaged. We have paid insurance to make sure this does not happen in the future. The one and only thing to expect is for the company to take approximately 5-7 business days to call and schedule the time window for pick up.

Thank you again and I do hope that you would consider one of our products in the future.

Best Regards,
Mario Sevilla
Brooklyn Bedding

Hi questforsleep,

I switched your post and review to a new topic of its own from the original topic here so that it would be easier for others to find it.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and review … I appreciate it.

It’s good to see that you are sleeping so well on your new mattress and after 6 months you are certainly past any breakin and adjustment period so you should be sleeping well for a long time to come :slight_smile:

Phoenix