Brooklyn Bedding/Dreamfoam and Wayfair.com relationship?

I’m back, Phoenix! :ohmy: :silly:

I honed in on the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam (whew…these things have long names) earlier and noticed that Wayfair.com carries quite a few mattress brands, including the previously mentioned and their sister company Brooklyn Bedding. I’m wondering about the sales relationship Wayfair.com has with either, as Wayfair carries their mattresses at lower prices than ordering direct from DF/BB.

Related: When I visit Brooklyn Bedding’s site, it looks like they’ve transitioned to the one-model-made-to-order design, while Wayfair has multiple models available; any insight into this?

Lastly, reading up on the materials of the Dreamfoam (I’ll call it the UD13GMF!), it looks very comparable to what’s known about the Tempur-Pedic Cloud Supreme (or Luxe, depending on where you look). I also know that foam density over 4-5lbs is lauded here, and the UD13GMF (still giggling) fits the bill with densities; however it’s rated in the budget/low-end mattress category with lower durability - can you help explain why that might be?

Phoenix, I don’t know how you do it, but you’re a treasured resource B)

Hi eboldy,

Welcome back.

Wayfair is just one of their sales channels (like Amazon) although the Wayfair prices that I’ve seen are higher than the prices at the Dreamfoam site. There is also an additional 10% discount for purchases on the Dreamfoam site as well … in addition to the pillow bonus for being a member of the forum here. Wayfair also doesn’t provide a return policy for their mattress and only allows for an exchange for another mattress within 100 days (with a $99 cost). Dreamfoam has a 45 day trial period that allows for a return and refund (also with a $99 cost).

Brooklyn Bedding launched their new “simplified choice” mattress in May so the transition from their old line had already happened a few months before you first posted here (see post #1027 here). This didn’t affect any of the mattresses that were sold by Dreamfoam (which is their sister company) but some of the previous Brooklyn Bedding mattresses that “disappeared” are now listed on the Dreamfoam site as well (such as the Aloe Alexis and the Total Latex Mattress).

The Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam mattress would be most closely comparable to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe in terms of feel and firmness. The Dreamfoam mattress that would be most closely comparable to the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme would be the Ultimate Dreams Supreme 12" mattress. While the UD13GMF is certainly in a lower lower budget range (especially compared to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe that it approximates) … it uses good quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or “weak links” in the mattress relative to most weight ranges so I’m not clear why you are putting it in a “lower durability” category. Having said that … I would be cautious for those that are in higher weight ranges (more than the lower 200’s or so) where I would tend to reduce or minimize the use of 4 lb memory foam which would apply to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe as well which also uses 4 lb memory foam (see the foam quality/density guidelines I normally suggest in post #4 here).

Phoenix

You’re always helpful, Phoenix :slight_smile: Looking back at my (extensive) browser history, I’m not sure where I got the impression that Dreamfoam’s durability was lower - I think the only hint of that would’ve been that they’ve switched to a 1.5lb base foam? I know that generally 1.8lb+ is better for durability; in your opinion is this an acceptable change for Dreamfoam given their memory foam top layers quality?

I’ll do more forum searching when I’ve got the time later today, but I wanted to ask just in case; any way to do a “call” for forum members who’ve gone with Dreamfoam mattresses to comment on their experiences relative to how long they’ve had them? I know “reviews” aren’t a particularly reliable way of gauging quality but occasionally there’s a good nugget here and there, and in this forum I would give more weight to members’ opinions. :slight_smile:

Thanks again, Phoenix.

Hi eboldy,

The upper layers are normally the weakest link of a mattress unless you are in a higher weight range that would compress the deeper layers “through” the upper comfort layers more in which case the support core could begin to play a larger role in durability and the useful life of a mattress. It’s really a moot point anyway though because they are currently using 1.8 lb density polyfoam in their base layers (see the bottom of this page) so unless you are in a weight range where 4 lb memory foam would be an issue then there would be no reason for any concern with durability or any weak links in the mattress relative to your weight range.

Phoenix

Great. I really appreciate the peace of mind I get from you and this site. A little more obsessive analyzing to do but I’m feeling better about ordering a Dreamfoam. :slight_smile:

Hi eboldy,

I’m glad the site has been helpful to you and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :slight_smile:

Phoenix