Brooklyn Bedding Enchantment from R&S + Pricing/Negotiating Help

Does anyone have any experience with the Brooklyn Bedding “Enchantment” from R&S Mattress?

We tested every Brooklyn Bedding mattress in the store: full foam (memory, latex, poly, soy, etc), various foam options over springs, etc. We liked the plush top, but firm support feel of the Enchantment the best:

Organic Cotton cover w/ soft foam
3" 24 ILD talalay latex
3" 28 ILD talalay latex
6" 2.1lb 32 ILD soy-based core foam

We feel good about it; however, it’s got a pretty steep price tag. It’s listed at “compare at” $3500 (which is probably a pretty worthless number), sticker is $2500 (which is probably pretty worthless as well). Gary, the store owner in Salt Lake City, said he could do $1550 + a waterproof mattress protector + free delivery. I wasn’t coy - he knew my wife loved the mattress but it was more than we had planned to spend - I wanted to make it work for our budget, and he was willing to work with us. He dropped to $1450, then $1350, then $1250, but still he knew I wanted to spend $1200 (in cash) including tax, and not a penny more. Gary is low-pressure, knowledgeable, and super nice, but we actually had a prior engagement and had to leave the store. We plan to go back tomorrow and I’m hoping to pay (and think Gary will accept) the $1200 in cash which includes tax, mattress protector, and free delivery.

Has anyone purchased this mattress (Brooklyn Bedding Enchantment), and if so, what are your thoughts on longevity, and how much did you pay? To others, does this seem like a good value on paper for the specs (I know this value has nothing to do with PPP, of course).

Thank you.

Hi jgmarans,

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here.

The Enchantment uses very high quality and durable materials in all the layers and there are no weak links in the mattress (see the guidelines here). In terms of durability it would be suitable for any weight range.

There is more about negotiating prices in post #6 here.

The Enchantment is very similar in design to the Brooklyn Bedding Alexis here which is also a great quality/value mattress and while I don’t know whether the Enchantment has exchangeable layers (which would add to the “value” of a mattress) or the options you would have after a purchase … this may be less important with a local purchase if you have done some careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post) and confirmed that the Enchantment is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

I also don’t know the size of the mattress you are purchasing but you can use the Alexis as a “pricing reference” and if you are paying the same or less than the Alexis then I would consider the price to be very good “value” as well.

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix. Looking at the Alexis, I can see it does seem to be a very similar set up. Although I do not believe there are any exchangeable layers on the Enchantment - I’ll have to double check.

We’re looking at a king, mattress only. Alexis is $1699 shipped, so I would feel good about paying $1200 for the Enchantment with a free delivery and a mattress protector.

Gary seems trustworthy - he seems to want us to be happy and content, and offers a generous “swap out” option for no fee if we don’t like the mattress and want to go with something else. I feel good about purchasing from him.

Thank you again for your input!

Hi jgmarans,

If you are looking at a king size then I also think the price you are looking at would be great “value” :).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Two nights on the Enchantment mattress so I’m not panicking yet, but it’s been a couple rough nights :slight_smile: I’ve tossed and turned, and I’m generally a very sound sleeper, and have woken up sore in my back, shoulders, and neck + headache. Has not gone away throughout the day. I’ve also woken up during the night feeling as though I was simply not comfortable, constantly switching positions. Tried stomach sleeping (my preferred), side, and back (2nd after stomach in preference) - none felt great.

My initial thought is that the mattress is too soft. In the store the plush eurotop felt soft and cushiony, but with firm support from the 6" of latex underneath. Felt like perfect combination. Laying on it for extended periods of time at home I no longer feel the firm support - I sink in and it feels mushy. I’m about 5’10, 150lbs, so I’m not a big guy. My wife is on the fence - she says it feels comfortable when she’s laying down (she likes it a bit more plush and doesn’t mind sinking in) but has not slept well either.

Should I simply give it a few more nights and see if it improves? Does it sound like this mattress may be too soft for us?

On the plus side, we love the shredded latex pillows Gary included :slight_smile:

Thanks.

-josh

Hi jgmarans,

At your weight the firmness of the layers would typically be “in the range” that was suitable for you and it may be that you are just going through an adjustment period that is normal for any new mattress that is different from the mattress you were used to sleeping on (see post #3 here).

The foundation under your mattress or any mattress pad you are using may also make a difference and there are some suggestions in post #2 here that may also be helpful (although some of them are more about a mattress that is too firm than too soft).

I would normally tend to give a new mattress about 30 days before deciding whether it was too soft or too firm but if that isn’t possible then I would give it a minimum of a couple of weeks before deciding whether it’s a good “match” for you.

Phoenix