Brooklyn Bedding Problem - SOLVED

I am having a major problem with Brooklyn Bedding, and I hope that someone can help.

I purchased one of their Aloe Alexis mattresses, and during the purchase process Mario Sevilla, the sales manager, was very helpful both over the phone and by email. I asked specifically about the return policy, because I have severe back and joint problems, and was afraid I might have to return the mattress. He explained their $75 comfort layer exchange (which I wound up doing in an attempt to cope with the back and joint pain the mattress caused), and that they offered a complete refund minus shipping charges. In email, he was not specific about the shipping charges, so I called him. He explained that the actual packing and so forth was handled by the shipping company, and that it was in the range of $100 or so to ship back. I had asked because a competitor’s website (I believe it was SleepEZ) specified a $95 return option. He said it might not be that low, but $100 to $150 at most.

Now we’ve come down to it, and he has COMPLETELY changed his tune. Up to $550 to return the mattress!

I have to return this mattress because of the damage it is wreaking on my body. It causes me intense back pain, even with the firmest comfort layers. It has also damaged my knee to the point that I have trouble walking. Best of all, it exudes toxic fumes so potent that when I sleep on it I have found myself coughing up blood in the morning. These are not minor issues. I approached him with courtesy and with regret for having to return the mattress… and he responds with this $550 nonsense. Oh, and I have to pack the blasted thing up, too.

I only purchased this mattress because of the excellent reputation Brooklyn Bedding has, here and elsewhere, and because Mario gave all the right answers to my questions. Obviously he knew that I would not purchase the mattress if I were told the truth.

Phoenix, do you have any pull with these people? Is there any help or advice you can offer? I am absolutely staggered by this deception. He seems to have no intention of honoring his former promises.

Hi Djehuty,

I would first mention that your mattress is not emitting “toxic fumes” and there is no deception here. To their credit … Brooklyn bedding has gone to the trouble and expense of being certified by CertiPur as a mattress manufacturer and all their foams are either CertiPur certifed (for polyfoam or memory foam) or Oeko-Tex certified (for their latex) and by any reasonable standards would be considered “safe”. If you are coughing up blood then there is something happening that is either a medical issue or an issue that is unique to you and I would strongly suggest a doctors visit to ask for medical advice.

I don’t know the specifics of your conversation with them but I do know that on their website they specifically deal with situations like yours here where they say …

In most cases the comfort exchange they offer is enough to make the kind of changes that can ensure that a mattress is a good match for your specific needs and preferences but the cost of returning a mattress (that requires common carrier) will vary by area and circumstances while a mattress or a layer that can be returned by courier is much less. You are also overweight and have back problems which means that finding the best possible match is more difficult (and in some cases and “ideal” mattress is not even possible until your other health issues are dealt with) and the risk of an online purchase is higher.

I know from my experience with them that they will work with you to help you find the best possible shipping solution (assuming that you are reasonable in your approach with them and not making accusations or comments that have no basis in fact) but in some cases it’s not always possible to find a carrier that has reasonable rates and this is outside of their control. “Best efforts” is all that any manufacturer can do in these circumstances.

I also just talked with them and not only were you cursing and swearing at them on the phone (to the point where they told you that they would only deal with you by email and had to hang up on you) but they had already gone above and beyond by finding you a shipping quote for $249 (which they have informed you about by email). I would think you would be grateful for their efforts to help you instead of making the completely unreasonable accusations and comments you are making here.

They are clear about their return policy and the potential costs involved and this is part of researching a mattress purchase and each person’s personal value equation. If you are one of the few that needs to return one of their mattresses that isn’t covered by a free return then they are clear about their policy and the costs of returning a mattress is part of the risk of any online purchase.

The only “promise” they made to you (and to all their customers) was to abide by their policies (which they have) and they have clearly gone out of their way in their efforts to help you (to their credit).

This kind of post and approach is not helpful or reasonable but I wanted to leave it up and reply so that other members here can get some sense of what it’s like to deal with customers that are completely unreasonable and to highlight the kind of service that Brooklyn Bedding provides even to their worst customers that curse and swear and threaten to “destroy” them on the phone by posting these kind of comments.

They are already helping you as much as possible … and from my perspective perhaps more than you deserve to be helped.

Phoenix

PS: I’ve changed the title of your post to indicate that your issues have been solved with the shipping quote they went out of their way to find for you.

Phoenix,

The “cursing and swearing” nonsense… I admit to swearing once, one word used to describe the deception being perpetrated. I was and am extremely angry, but only once did I descend into rather mild profanity. Other than using the “s-word” once, the worst I did was to speak forcefully and not to accept Mario’s ongoing prevarications as truth.

Whatever their certification may be, the fumes emitted by this mattress are absolutely toxic, and very, very strong. Exchanging the comfort layers made me ill, with recurring nosebleeds and a powerful headache that lasted nearly a week. For that entire week, I let the mattress air out before sealing it up again. Even so, the fumes are strong, very noticeable, and when I have slept on it all night have caused me to cough up bloody sputum in the morning. This is not normal for me. I am not a smoker, I have no particularly odious habits, and the last time I coughed up blood I had pneumonia.

You are correct about no WRITTEN promise being made. Mario was most adept. He only gave me the estimate of return shipping costs over the phone, not via email. They are not clear about their return policy, because they do not give any indication of the return shipping costs. If they did, they would lose sales. Very few people would purchase a mattress if the return shipping was almost half the entire cost of the thing. Do please note that I am not upset over having to pay for shipping, but over having been lied to about the cost.

As for this email shipping quote, that was news to me, as I was waiting for a call back from Brooklyn Bedding. Someone else was to call me back to discuss this, and as I had asked to speak to the owner or someone else higher in the company’s hierarchy, there was an implication that this would be the person calling me back. Given the timing of the email, I have to wonder whether it was actually sent before you called, as they apparently told you.

Finally, regarding being an unreasonable customer, I must ask you: is it unreasonable to expect people to abide by their word? I will admit to one mistake. Due to the excellent reputation Brooklyn Bedding has here and elsewhere online, I allowed myself to be gulled by someone who obviously believes that a verbal agreement is worth the paper it’s written on. That is what is unreasonable.

Hi Djehuty,

I consider your issues to be solved and Brooklyn Bedding has gone out of their way to help you resolve your issues in spite of your “attitude” both on this forum and on the phone with them.

I’m not disputing that you have medical issues (or possibly a latex allergy) … only that they are not from toxicity in the mattress and you need to see your doctor.

Quite frankly … given your comments here and the fact that they don’t hang up on customers without good reason (and you gave them plenty or reasons and I would have refused to deal with you as well) … they have more credibility with me than your comments.

In spite of your incorrect assertions … they are very clear about their return policies.

When I talked with them they had already hung up on you and had sent you the email about the shipping quote (and I had just about finished my original reply). Of course when customers are looking for any excuse to criticize, mislead, or threaten, then anything can be twisted into something negative and the norm with these types of customers is consistent criticism at every opportunity instead of gratitude at the service and help you are receiving.

This thread is now locked because no further discussion is needed … and in your case the type of comments you are making aren’t accurate or welcome. You are responsible for the choices you make and the purchase agreements you enter into. They have gone beyond what they would be required to do in their efforts to help you in spite of your criticism and the nature of your posts here and your conversations with them on the phone.

I have no intention of allowing this site to be used as a vehicle to harm the well deserved reputation of a good manufacturer that in fact is going out of their way to help you in spite of the challenges that your attitude and assertions would represent for any reasonable person.

Phoenix