Brooklyn Bedding-- Should I pull the trigger?

First off, thanks for all the great information and hard work you put into this site! I’ve read through all the overviews and several of the detailed guides as well.

I went mattress shopping for the first time yesterday at R&S Mattress in SLC as recommended in this post. It was a good shopping experience. We only tested out Brooklyn Bedding mattresses. Gary-- the manager-- said he makes all the mattresses. He seemed confident that the mattresses are made of the very best materials.

My wife and I really liked the Wall Street Luxury Firm Eurotop mattress by Brooklyn Bedding.

The specifications of the comfort layer are:

• 1.5" Firm Quilting Foam – I’ll ask exactly what material this is.
  • 2" Latex Foam
  • 2" 4 lb. Graphite Gel Memory Foam

Support core:

• 7" Encased Coil Support System (Pocket Coils)
  • 4" Foam Encased Edge Support (not really sure what this means-- I will ask)

The price we were offered for a King size is $1149. They were also willing to throw in 2 free shredded latex pillows.

Are there any additional questions I should be asking? Any red flags about the composition of the mattress? Any concerns about the potential durability? Should I be concerned that the memory foam layer is only mid-range quality instead of > 5 lb? Any concern about the amount of material on top of the latex layer?

Also, Is the price fair?

Hi snowtorious,

This is polyfoam and is less than 2" so it would be fine.

You can read more about foam encasement and edge support with innersprings in post #2 here.

No all the layers are good quality materials and as you can see in the guidelines here … there are no obvious weak links in the mattress.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you assess the “value” of a mattress purchase. Value is always relative to what else is available to you or that you are considering as a “finalist” and the criteria that are most important to you but if the mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP then it uses good quality materials and the price seems very reasonable to me as well.

Phoenix

I ended up purchasing this mattress. I have had it for about 60 days. It is very firm. The first 10 days or so were a bit rough as the mattress was being broken in. After that was a period of about 2 weeks of quality sleep. The support the mattress provides for my back is great.

Since then, I gradually began noticing pain in my upper arm when I sleep on my side. Also some pain in my shoulder blades. I’ve never had such pain before. I still have nearly 30 days to exchange the mattress. I may go with something less firm but I am also considering a topper.

I am happy with the quality of the mattress and had a good experience buying from R&S Mattress.

Hi snowtorious,

Thanks for the update and feedback … I appreciate it.

[quote]Since then, I gradually began noticing pain in my upper arm when I sleep on my side. Also some pain in my shoulder blades. I’ve never had such pain before. I still have nearly 30 days to exchange the mattress. I may go with something less firm but I am also considering a topper.

I am happy with the quality of the mattress and had a good experience buying from R&S Mattress. [/quote]

Post #2 here has some information and suggestions that may be helpful but upper body symptoms can often be a pillow issue rather than a mattress issue and in some cases a different profile pillow can make a significant difference.

Phoenix