Brooklyn Bedding - Stick it out?

Hello all, my wife and I were shopping for a new mattress because our old situation has been causing us pain while sleeping for nearly a year (we’ve been sleeping on an 8 year old spring mattress we augmented 3-4 years ago with a 4 inch memory foam topper from Amazon).

After much reading around, and looking through the articles on this site, we decided to go with Brooklyn Bedding’s BME, medium firmness. We live rurally, and do not have local places to go try out the sorts of mattresses you usually recommend. The BME fit our budget and seemed well-appreciated.

It has been two nights now, and we’ve slept both nights in more pain than we had previously. We acknowledge that the 4 in cheap memory foam topper was not likely to be a good sleeping surface and likely caused us a number of problems, however, this has been anything but the positive experience we’d hoped for. The second night was marginally better than the first. We used the pillows Brooklyn Bedding sent us along with the bed - hard to say if they helped or not.

Is this all part of the breaking in process? Should we stick it out? Tomorrow is a work day, and this weekend has been a painful one for us. We did not expect this after seeing the positive feelings most people had for the BME. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Hi Silas0220,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer:

Unfortunately, two nights is not nearly enough time for you to evaluate any new mattress. There will be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as the mattress loses any of its “false firmness” and the cover stretches and loosens a little and your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here). This would typically be a few weeks but it can be shorter or longer depending on the specifics of the person and the mattress.

I would definitely tell you to take more time adjusting to the new mattress, and hopefully as time moves on you’ll lose more of your previous “learned alignment” and the mattress will also lose more of its “false firmness”. If you unfortunately find that this product doesn’t meet your comfort needs, you did make a good choice of selecting a product that does have an available return policy.

Phoenix